65 replies to this topic

#26 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts
  • Interests:Muscle men, and Kinnikuman

Posted 24 October 2002 - 07:39 AM

I am not much of what I like to call a "Star Wars Geek", but I will admit to liking all of them. I will also admit, I waited 3+ hours to see Episode One (In Japan even). I am not going to get into such detail as all of you guys because I have not studied or picked them apart as you have, but I will say I like the newer ones better, I also like seeing how the story is developing. Hold me.

#27 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2002 - 07:42 AM

“The new movies are not new, innovative, or even very entertaining. It was too easy to capitalize on the star wars franchise.”

Did you read my long reply? I agree that Episode I was done totally wrong, but Episode II was a great leap forward. I think that the other thing that people forget is that the PT is supposed to mirror the OT. We are supposed to notice the similarities between the 2 trilogies. We are supposed to see how Anakin had decisions to make, and made the wrong decisions. Yet when Luke had to make similar decisions, he made the correct decisions.

As for the fans that bash the new movies, I really only get mad at one type. The person how says, “The new ones suck, the old ones are way better.” or “Jar Jar sucks, he wrecked the whole movie.” Those are the only reasons? Unless someone can articulate WHY they didn’t like the movie, I just dismiss them as an idiot.

An interesting note on Jar Jar. The US is the place where he was received the worst. Most of the rest of the world liked him. I really have gotten used to him, but would have preferred him to be done a different way. I wish they would have had him speak in another language, and then have subtitles. One guy felt the same way, in fact he felt so strongly that he did a re-edit of the movie like that. It is called “The Phantom Edit”

#28 musclemenkids

musclemenkids

Stompin' on your face!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 04:07 PM

now i loved starwars as much as the next wookie and it's all too easy to get het up and before you know it your drawing your blaster gun, but let's remember that StarWars is NOT the best trilogy of all time. it's not even the best sci-fi trilogy of all time. We all know (yes, even you general) that the best trilogy is......................
Back to The Future!
"Run for it Marty!"
Better acting, better theme tune, funnier lines, better plot twists and of course it fairs better than starwars when it comes to the concept of time (hey luke, are you back from training already? you've only been gone, like two hours!!)
"FRUIT OOZE IS WETLY LEWD SO
STAY DRY IN RUBBER BOOTS AND.."

#29 EVOM

EVOM

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 04:12 PM

I liked the back to the future movies except the third one, I think we`re forgetting about another trilogy- Mad Max!! You have to give those some credit too!

#30 EASports

EASports

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 04:41 PM

Not really sci-fi, but EVIL DEAD! woohoo! I came here to kick arse and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of gum. :p
"Let's go home"
"We are home"
"That was fast"

#31 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 07:46 PM

Not really sci-fi, but EVIL DEAD! woohoo! I came here to kick arse and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of gum. :D

See this?! This is my.... BOOM STICK!!!

That's what I tell all the ladies. e+ Anyway, I agree. The Evil Dead movies are classic!

-Nathan

#32 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2002 - 05:42 AM

BTTF and Evil Dead are both good trilogies, but I still believe SW is better. BTTF is really good, but the third one is really lame. The chemistry, really funny lines, and originality seem to have worn off. Plus I was always really bothered by the multi-colored bundles of hay that helped fuel the train. I can’t argue that the first 2 are great, but I feel (and always have) that they dropped the ball with the third one.

As for Evil Dead, “Gimme some sugar baby.” These movies are great, but it’s really Army of Darkness that is the best. The first one was simply meant to be a horror movie. It really doesn’t play up the humor. When it came time for the second one, they basically just re-hashed ED1. Sam & Bruce both agreed that the studio was basically paying them (although it wasn’t much) to make a studio version of Evil Dead. When Army of Darkness came out (God I wish it would have been called Medevil Dead!) they better understood their audience. There was much more humor in the movie, and it was more tongue-n-cheek.

So SW is still safe.

#33 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 06:21 AM

These movies are great, but it’s really Army of Darkness that is the best

I totally agree, Army of darkness really kicks arse. I got the two dvd set of it, editors cut, and original version, oddly I like the original version better. Remember when Ash split into two. The real version when he shoots himself he says "Good bad, I'm the one with the gun" I thought that was funny as crap, but in the editrs cut he say "I'm not that good". I thought that was gay compared to the first, I think the editors cut sucked. I also think evil dead two was pretty much a remake of the first one. They were both mediocre but AOD was sweet arse sweet.

#34 gojiman

gojiman

Typo King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 06:59 AM

I agree with you doc, about the theatrical version being better. I liked the ending better in the thearical version; bruce in the wal-mart-like store, telling his story. The ending of the directors cut doesn't seem to belong in the movie.

In response to an earlier post, the new SW movies don't need to be fresh and new. Star Wars is an established concept and doesn't need to be re-invented to be good. All of the criticisms of E1 can also be applied to the original trilogy just as easily. Sure Jar-Jar was silly, but not any sillier than a blue, keyboard playing Aardavark, or Jaba's little laughing chicken-monkey!
don't you think your a little too old to play with toys?

#35 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22221 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 07:01 AM

or Jaba's little laughing chicken-monkey!

No way, Jar Jar is much more palatable than Salacious Crumb.
I cringe everytime I hear Salacious cackle.

#36 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2002 - 08:19 AM

Wait, I’m confused. So do people like it better when Ash goes back to his own time and S-mart or when he over sleeps? I like it better when he over sleeps by screwing up the number of drops he takes. It seems like such an “Ash” thing to do.

And the line, “Good. Bad. I’m the one with the gun” is classic! The other great line that is added in is when Ash is walking past all those people, pushing them out of the way, and he finally just says, “Get the F’ outta my way.” It’s just so matter of fact that it cracks me up.

But SW (OT) still reigns as the best trilogy.

#37 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 08:28 AM

I like the S-mart ending better. I also like all the insults he throws at them and they don't even notice, like primates etc...

#38 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 08:55 AM

I think the S-Mart ending is better if you want to end the series (which, obviously, Sam Raimi did). The over-sleeping ending is great if you want to continue it. I personally thought both endings were great, but the over-sleeping one goes better with the styles of the other movies.

-Nathan

#39 EASports

EASports

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 11:23 AM

The S-mart ending is better. How can you guys put down evil dead 2? It's just like the first one, only incredibly funny! Remember when everything in the house starts laughing? Oh my god, I nearly pissed myself the first time I saw that! I guess overall Army of Darkness is the better movie, but I denfinitely laughed harder at Evil Dead 2.
"Let's go home"
"We are home"
"That was fast"

#40 musclemenkids

musclemenkids

Stompin' on your face!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 27 October 2002 - 04:30 AM

The other great line that is added in is when Ash is walking past all those people, pushing them out of the way, and he finally just says, “Get the F’ outta my way.” It’s just so matter of fact that it cracks me up.

yeah i thoght that was one of the funniest things i ever heard in a film. I don't like to think of the evil dead as a trilogy due to the fact that 1 and 2 are basically the same film and AOD pisses on both of them

#41 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2002 - 06:59 PM

I don’t really think of the ED as a “trilogy” either. In fact, when I introduce someone to the movies I usually start with ED2 and the AOD. If they really liked those, then I’ll show them ED. Otherwise it kind of wastes the person’s time. Only Deadites need to see the original ED.

#42 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 08:02 PM

People always forget the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy... all seven volumes of it!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#43 EVOM

EVOM

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 08:22 PM

Even though most don`t consider it to be a trilogy ya can`t take anything away from George Romero`s Night of the living dead, Dawn of the dead, and Day of the dead. They easily blow away the return of the living dead trilogy!!

#44 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2002 - 12:58 PM

I was just goofing around and thought I would you everyone. Maybe this is what the battle between Obi-Wan and Anakin will look like in Episode III.

Keep in mind I was just screwing around.

Attached Files

#45 musclemenkids

musclemenkids

Stompin' on your face!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 01:54 PM

hey general, that's pretty kewl. You know the one thing i hate about starwars (and it has nothing to do with episode 1 or jar jar binks). it is at the end of jedi when they are celebrating, but in the special addition the ewoks song has changed from some half decent melody to some pile of quack! that's all that is the only mistake george lucas has made in my opinion.
Also the starwars expanded universe is just nonsense, i had a referance book that states that owen lars was obi wans brother but yet we find that he is Anakins'. that sucks that they write books that become total trash in respect of the new films.
Also has anyone read the books set after Jedi? heir to the empire etc...?

#46 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2002 - 04:39 PM

Thanks.

I agree. The original Ewok song was better.

Many people thought Owen was Obi's brother, but Lucas says, "Unless it's in the movies then it doesn't mean it is true."

The first 3, written by Zahn, after Jedi are pretty good. After that the go down hill pretty fast.

#47 musclemenkids

musclemenkids

Stompin' on your face!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 04:18 PM

are there any good books concerning the sith and darkside jedis BEFORE episode 1, like the origins etc...

#48 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2002 - 04:38 PM

Yes.

I can't remember the name though. I know Darth Bane is one of the main guys.

Check www.starwars.com or www.theforce.net

I think both have timelines that can point you in the right direction.

#49 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2002 - 09:22 AM

For anyone who wtched the cut scenes from the AOTC DVD what did you think?

I thought that the Senate scene was good and should have been left in.

The other scenes with Padme & Anakin were good, but I understand they had to trim down the time of the film.

All of the cut Jedi scenes were good cuts.

I thought the film looked and sounded great too!

#50 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 10:16 AM

I was actually really disappointed with most of the cut scenes. The special effects in the scenes were at best simply acceptable, but were often inexcusably bad. For example, the cut-outs of Obi-Wan and Mace when they're outside next to the Jedi Starfighter were pretty bad, but I could get past it. On the other hand, the animation of the chief Geonosian in the criminal sentencing scene was horribly choppy and very poorly rendered.

I thought that most of the cut scenes from the Ep. 1 DVD were really interesting and fun (like the extended Pod Race Lap 2, the Coruscant Arrival, and the Bongo going over the waterfall), but virtually all of the cut scenes in Ep. 2 were very boring. The only ones I thought were worth my time in watching were...

1) Mace and Obi-Wan going out to the Starfighter: I appreciated the cool views of the Jedi Starfighter in this scene.
2) Obi-Wan researching the poison dart: The special effects were pretty good in this scene, and the robots and technology were interesting. Also, I thought it was a good lead-in to the Dexter scene.
3) Anakin and Padme in her bedroom: Although I was expecting something else in this scene, :) I thought it was interesting anyway. Padme's description of the picture with the race that went extinct because it couldn't adapt was a cool foreshadowing reference to the Jedi.

Also, a noticable and unfortunate exclusion in the cut scene group is the scene where Plo Koon and Ki-Adi Mundi go on a separate mission to shut off the droids. I think that would have been a great scene to put in!

So, to sum it up: The cut scenes sucked. Fortunately, the movie itself is incredible, and there are plenty of other extras to have fun with!

-Nathan

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com