Toy Collecting Terms

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#26 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:07 PM

I always thought Gashapon were like miniature statues. I think of the Kinnikuman Soul series when the word Gashapon is used. Or Capsule figures.

I was thinking more along the lines of the carded painted reissue keshi.

But what about Gums? Gum is hard and soft, and made of many colors. It also closely relates to the term Gomu. We could be Gum collectors. :lol: And who here can deny they havn't often wished to devour their delicious looking delights. I can see the conversations now.

Person1: So what do you do for fun? Collect anything?

Person2: I collect Gums!

Person1: You collect Gum? Like Chewing Gum?!!

Person2: No No! It's what we call mini figures like Muscles, or MIMPS, or Handful of Heroes, etc...

Person1: Oh! That is pretty neat. Gums, that's catchy.

:lol: I'm a nerd... and Gum is like an American pass time. Can't you see the Toy Sites with a Gums section on the menu bar?

#### Edit...
Not to mention it would fit with our LRG motif. :D We are Little Rubber Guys who collect Little Rubber Gums. :p

Edited by Universal Ruler Supreme, 04 February 2011 - 09:09 PM.

Posted Image

#27 SmokinGun

SmokinGun

Weird, Wild Wrestler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:13 PM

I like the term monochromatic minifigure. If basicly fits all types of style whether its rubber or plastic. Plus, to shorten term, mono minifig sounds cool.

#28 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:42 PM

I say LRG's as well, but people associate that with the Clothing line.

Posted Image

#29 LethalWhip

LethalWhip

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Transformers, G.I.Joe, Star Wars, Battle Beasts, and Gormiti.

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:14 AM

I used to call LEGO guys either "LEGO guys" or "LEGO figures", the modern Consensus for LEGO guys is "minifig" or "minifigure".

I have almost always refered to a static/non articulated toy as a figurine.

I'm fairly certain gashapon refers to Japanese capsule toys, which run the gamut from "gumball machine" like toys, to 2-4 inch scale fully painted, often non articulated but some assembly required figures/figurines.

Gashapon is also sometimes used to describe similar toys that rather than being dispensed from capsule machines come in blind packed boxed. I refer to these as "trading figures" because your better off trading to get a complete set than buying box after box, or case after case of "trading figures" to complete a collection. Although here I use "figure" rather than figurine, I'm not sure why.

I think LRG covers everything from MUSCLE, Battle Beasts, through Gormiti, and encompassing most domestic gumball machine toys.

I think you may be safe with mono-colored figurines, as most toys over three inches tend to be multicolored, and the "figurine" versus "figure" should denote "non-articulated".

#30 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5103 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:52 PM

I'm fairly certain gashapon refers to Japanese capsule toys, which run the gamut from "gumball machine" like toys, to 2-4 inch scale fully painted, often non articulated but some assembly required figures/figurines.

You've got it 100%. Gashapon are Japanese capsule toys, and just that. All sorts of different toys can be gashapon, in the same way that you could get rings, bouncing balls, "mono-colored figurines", etc. in Western gumball machines. It's not specific to figurines.

When the trading figures LethalWhip brought up are considered gashapon, this is simply due to a mistake in the meaning of the term "gashapon" or being mistaken on the origin of the figure. Related to this, "candy toys" refers to small, boxed toys (sometimes blind-packed, sometimes not) that include some piece of candy, snack or gum. The Fujiya Ultraman series are candy toys, for example, as that's how they were originally packed. Also like trading figures and gashapon, candy toys can bee all sorts of different things.

TL;DR - Candy toys, gashapon, and the like are not exclusively any one type of toy, so they're not candidates for the term you seek.

Also, got to say I think "figurines" is ultimately the way to go. It's the least-specific term while still being wholly accurate and is easily modified to cover more specific lines. Mono-colored figurines, wrestling figurines, rubber figurines, painted figurines, etc.

Edited by Boaconda, 07 February 2011 - 07:53 PM.

#31 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:40 AM

Thanks for the info re: Gashapon.

Also, got to say I think "figurines" is ultimately the way to go. It's the least-specific term while still being wholly accurate and is easily modified to cover more specific lines. Mono-colored figurines, wrestling figurines, rubber figurines, painted figurines, etc.

But that's just it, I'm looking for a specific term that refers only to Western keshi.

Currently, I'm really digging the term Nishi offered by nanoFatato.
Posted Image

#32 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:54 AM

The difficulty lies with your limited definition.

1) Mono-Colored
2) Non-Articulated
3) Miniature Scale

So, unless a term is borrowed from another language, like Keshi. Which is actually an acceptable alternative. Then the word has to either be a slang term, that must become acceptable within the collector base, and (eventually) be recognizable to those who do not collect the item. Or be a combination of pre existing defined terms, prefixes, and suffixes that when fused together is defined as:

A single colored unarticulated miniature, typically made of plastic materials.

Essentially, you could also just tack on a prefix to a foreign term that already exists. Like Mono-Keshi. But then you would need a way to distinguish the term for a specific Region. Like Amerikeshi. :crazy:

Posted Image

#33 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:05 AM

The difficulty lies with your limited definition.

1) Mono-Colored
2) Non-Articulated
3) Miniature Scale

So, unless a term is borrowed from another language, like Keshi. Which is actually an acceptable alternative. Then the word has to either be a slang term, that must become acceptable within the collector base, and (eventually) be recognizable to those who do not collect the item. Or be a combination of pre existing defined terms, prefixes, and suffixes that when fused together is defined as:

A single colored unarticulated miniature, typically made of plastic materials.

Essentially, you could also just tack on a prefix to a foreign term that already exists. Like Mono-Keshi. But then you would need a way to distinguish the term for a specific Region. Like Amerikeshi. :crazy:

Haha, exactly! This is what I've been trying to say from the start. There is no commonly used term, so we need to make one! :D (Ideas are so hard to convey via writing alone.)

However, saying mono-keshi would be redundant as keshi are pretty much understood to be mono-colored. And "Ameri" is too narrow, because Bad Eggz comes from Europe and S2 Cheap Toys come from Canada, etc. Like theorgg said, if you're going to stick with the term keshi, saying Western Keshi is probably the easiest solution.

But as far as made up, slang terms, my two favorite right now are mono and nishi (nishi means West in Japanese).

The Bad Eggz Bunch is one of the coolest mono lines made in the 90's. Hey, have you seen those Canadian GPK nishi? They're really cool, but also very rare.

:geek: :crazy:
Posted Image

#34 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:19 AM

Mon-keshi, and Amerikeshi were more of examples of what I was implying than real suggestions. Especially since most western miniatures weren't just sold in America.

Didn't someone suggest Weshi? :D Weshi Keshi!

What about Minishi. Or Monishi. You see this is where my complaint comes in. Japananes terms sound fun, but how would people feel about the word when trying to use it in actual conversation? It has to feel real to both the speaker and the listener. If that makes sense.

I just picture two American's talking about their hobbies.

Man1: "I collect Keshi!"

Man2: "WTF you talkin bout?!" :lol:

Posted Image

#35 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:03 PM

It has to feel real to both the speaker and the listener. If that makes sense.

I just picture two American's talking about their hobbies.

Man1: "I collect Keshi!"

Man2: "WTF you talkin bout?!" :lol:

Agreed, but at the same time, every hobby has it's own special terms and language. I'm sure we've all heard a real, genuine hard core Californian surfer. They practically speak a different dialect, haha.

Anyhow, I'm sure a term isn't just going to be agreed upon via a vote, haha. There really is a very small number of collectors in the West who collect only mono-colored mini-figures. I think if there were a large community like for LEGO minifigures, action figures, staticons, etc. that there would definitely be a slang term for them.

We'll see what happens. :)

Very fun remix ftw!

Edited by Soupie, 08 February 2011 - 01:15 PM.

Posted Image

#36 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

I still don't see the objection to Keshi other than 'it sounds jApanese.' How about something like "Kesh" figures? Isn't it common to Americanize Japanese names by removing the second portion of the name? Examples: Meat-Kun, Mari-Chan, and Ramenman-san. We know them as Meat, Marie, and Ramenman only. "Kesh-style figurines" sounds a bit upper-crust and refined if I hear it aloud.

Also on the materials-- the Ultimate Muscle figures that were Japanese exclusives that mimmicked MUSCLE proportions (but did not mimmick MUSCLE exactly-- dissappointingly) were made of a harder material than MUSCLES originally were.
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#37 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:40 PM

Well, I personally don't have a problem with miniature or figurine. It's what I'm mostly accustomed to when referring to the hobby.

However I think if you would like to get something coined for a specific niche of the hobby then you should just go with your gut, and throw it out there. Sometimes it sticks.

I think of the word 'Tree' when we often refer to the Muscle/Kinkeshi part groupings. I originally used the word Tree, cause I drew a blank and couldn't recall the word Sprue or Runner. So I pulled the best thing I could think of. :unsure: It sort of stuck.

Alot of folks here are familiar and comfortable with Keshi. Maybe your just over thinking it. I'm sure if you paste the desired term on every site, and in every relevant post it will find something to stick to.

Edited by Universal Ruler Supreme, 08 February 2011 - 05:41 PM.

Posted Image

#38 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:26 AM

However I think if you would like to get something coined for a specific niche of the hobby then you should just go with your gut, and throw it out there. Sometimes it sticks.

I think of the word 'Tree' when we often refer to the Muscle/Kinkeshi part groupings. I originally used the word Tree, cause I drew a blank and couldn't recall the word Sprue or Runner. So I pulled the best thing I could think of. :unsure: It sort of stuck.

Exactly! It's the Q-tip factor.

#39 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:58 AM

Maybe your just over thinking it.

Oh, I'm absolutely over thinking it. I just figured it would be a good discussion topic.

As for the term "tree," it's a good example of why I would like a specific (simple) term to refer to mono-colored, non-articulated, mini-figures.

Both the term runner and sprue (and family mold) are generic terms and don't convey enough information regarding the MUSCLE color code. When talking about the MCC, it's important that one understands that the sculpts from the first 21 parts (at least) were grouped together within dozens of different family molds. Since all the sculpts in a family mold were cast at the same time, all the sculpts will be found in the same color. Which is to say, the figures, runners, and sprues once cast will all be the same color. Yadda yadda yadda. Morever, the sprue technically is not the little nub of plastic, but rather it's "the passages through which a liquid material (such as polystyrene or polyvinyl chloride) flows into a die." Of course, it's probably both - the passage and the cast of the passage.

Personally, when I use the term "tree" I mean it to refer to everything - the family mold/die, the sprue (the passage and the cast of the passage), and -- most importantly -- the grouping of sculpts in the family mold. But rather than typing all that each time, I just say "tree."

As an interesting historical note, Alex first described the runner cast as a "spider-like string web." :)

:geek:

Edited by Soupie, 09 February 2011 - 08:00 AM.

Posted Image

#40 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:17 AM

Exactly! It's the Q-tip factor.

And to be even more achingly, annoyingly, boorishly pedantic, I'd say that the term "tree" isn't a true "Q-tip/Kleenex" moment. Those were situations where a brand became so popular, that the brand name became the generic term.

For example, the NFL is so dominant, that a lot of people forget that the NFL is just a league, and that the sport is football. There have been other football leagues like the XFL and Arena Football.

This is also kind of happening in the sport of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA). The UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) is the largest league at the moment and for a while, the media was flirting with calling MMA "Ultimate Fighting." Thankfully it didn't stick.

Anyhow, if the Q-tip/Kleenex factor were to happen in regards to mono-colored, non-articulated, mini-figures, I think it would be more akin to a super popular example of the style of figure becoming the generic term for all mono-colored, non-articulated, mini-figures. It would be like calling all mono-colored, non-articulated, mini-figures MUSCLEs.

Referring to MUSCLE family molds, runners, sprues, and groupings of sculpts as trees is not quite the same thing, really. That was more of URS just coining a simple term to describe a fairly complex thing.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to prove a point or anything. I'm just blabbering about this cause it has my interest peeked at the moment.

Edited by Soupie, 09 February 2011 - 09:42 AM.

Posted Image

#41 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:56 AM

I understand what you're saying. Maybe I'm being a bit liberal or maybe it's a matter of perspective.

Assigning a new label for this type of figure is similar to launching a brand. There is no recognition of the term (e.g., Q-Tip) but then it surpasses the actual term – which might be MUSCLE, MIMP, or whatever. "Hey look at those Weshi!" (This sounds awful when you actually say it.)

Truthfully, I believe there's a more than decent chance of actually launching a term. If your site, this site, my site, and posts on Twitter and Facebook start using it, then we might see some traction. Ideally people would even use it in their eBay auctions too. Wouldn't it be great if one term helped to zero in on these types of figures! :yes:

#42 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22199 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:17 AM

Was that Napoleon Dynamite in a wetsuit?

#43 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:45 AM

Wouldn't it be great if one term helped to zero in on these types of figures! :yes:

So what freakin term can we come up with that would do this!!!! ARRAAGGAG!!!

Also, I agree, Weshi sounds absolutely horrible! :lol:

Posted Image

#44 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:25 AM

Here is a suggestion just to get some juices running. Chrompact(s). Combination of Chroma and Compact. :unsure: Maybe this will help you guys get a few more ideas.

Definitions from Dictionary.com

chro·ma [kroh-muh}
–noun
1. the purity of a color, or its freedom from white or gray.
2. intensity of distinctive hue; saturation of a color.

Is a synonym for words such as: Color, Hue, Tint, and Paint

com·pact [adj. kuhm-pakt, kom-pakt; v. kuhm-pakt]

–adjective
1. joined or packed together; closely and firmly united; dense; solid: compact soil.
2. arranged within a relatively small space: a compact shopping center; a compact kitchen.
3. designed to be small in size and economical in operation.
4. solidly or firmly built: the compact body of a lightweight wrestler.
5. expressed concisely; pithy; terse; not diffuse: a compact review of the week's news.
6. composed or made (usually followed by of ): a book compact of form and content.
7. Also, bicompact. Mathematics . (of a set) having the property that in any collection of open sets whose union contains the given set there exists a finite number of open sets whose union contains the given set; having the property that every open cover has a finite subcover.

–verb (used with object)
8. to join or pack closely together; consolidate; condense.
9. to make firm or stable.
10. to form or make by close union or conjunction; make up or compose.
11. Metallurgy . to compress (metallic or metallic and nonmetallic powders) in a die to be sintered.
12. to crush into compact form for convenient disposal or for storage until disposal: to compact rubbish.

—Synonyms
2. small, snug. 5. concise, succinct, brief. 8. compress. 9. stabilize, solidify.

So many definitions of Compact meet the description of the miniature figurines we collect. And Chroma is a nice alternative to suggest the colorfulness of said figures. It also sounds like a real English word.

So it could mean....

Chrompact {Krohm-pakt}

-noun.
A figurine designed to be small in size, solidly built; and composed of resin, plastic, or rubber of intense and or pure saturated color.

ex1: I collect Chrompacts.
ex2: That particular kind of figure you are holding is known as a Chrompact.
ex3: I have a large collection of Chrompacts for trade or sale if you are interested.
ex4: A few examples of Chrompact figures would be; M.U.S.C.L.E, Monster In My Pocket, Bad Eggz Bunch, and Mini Boglins.
ex5: What particular line of Chrompacts is this figure from?

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Edited by Universal Ruler Supreme, 10 February 2011 - 02:29 AM.

Posted Image

#45 jmckinnon316

jmckinnon316

Serious Collector

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:23 AM

Here is a suggestion just to get some juices running. Chrompact(s). Combination of Chroma and Compact. :unsure: Maybe this will help you guys get a few more ideas.

Definitions from Dictionary.com

So many definitions of Compact meet the description of the miniature figurines we collect. And Chroma is a nice alternative to suggest the colorfulness of said figures. It also sounds like a real English word.

So it could mean....

Chrompact {Krohm-pakt}

-noun.
A figurine designed to be small in size, solidly built; and composed of resin, plastic, or rubber of intense and or pure saturated color.

ex1: I collect Chrompacts.
ex2: That particular kind of figure you are holding is known as a Chrompact.
ex3: I have a large collection of Chrompacts for trade or sale if you are interested.
ex4: A few examples of Chrompact figures would be; M.U.S.C.L.E, Monster In My Pocket, Bad Eggz Bunch, and Mini Boglins.
ex5: What particular line of Chrompacts is this figure from?

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I am liking 'Chrompacts'. It's consistent with modern day word creation! Think: Chillax!
My NEEDS List: HERE
My Collection: WORKING ON IT!

#46 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:36 AM

Also, I agree, Weshi sounds absolutely horrible! :lol:

Agreed, that's why Matthew Fitz and I never actually used the term. Also, SD pointed out that the term is already used to refer to Westland Terrier/ Shih-Tzu mixes. :lol:
Posted Image

#47 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:08 AM

I'm going to google 'Kesh.' See if it's already used.

EDIT: Yea, it's a word, but not a toy specific one. Until now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kesh

Edited by TheOrgg, 10 February 2011 - 09:10 AM.

Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#48 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:18 AM

I like this idea of mashing up words. Maybe look to Latin and foreign languages?

I was playing around with Google Translate, just trying to type in words that fit (one color, single color, figure, etc.) and see what was spit out. I don't think it has to be a literal translation. It should just be close and sound good.

Monoformas?

#49 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22199 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:23 AM

PVM? PolyVinylMonoChromatic?

:lol:

#50 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:00 PM

You know... Chrompacts sounds like something from a scifi like Star Trek.

Action:Redshirt falls dead for no apparent reason:

Bones: He's dead Jim!

Kirk: What happened Bones!

Bones: My God! He's contracted a rare disease!

Kirk: Rare disease?! What is it, and is it a threat to the ship?

Bones: IT's Chrompacts disease! Where the Devil would he have gotten it!

Kirk: Maybe from that deserted moon colony we stopped at in Golus 4. So what is this Chrompacts?

Spock: Chrompacts are a microscopic organism formulated of an organic resin. It is a shifty organism that almost never retains the same color, form, or molecular makeup. It is also able to adapt by solidifying or liquefying itself. This makes it especially difficult to treat or even discover during a routine medical checkup.

Kirk:.....Damn!

:lol:

Posted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com