Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

2nd annual Pirate Lion contest

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
150 replies to this topic

Poll: Lion Contest (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Pick a Lion!

1. Buffalo Leo (2 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

2. Lionator (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. "Pirate" Pirate LIon (1 votes [2.38%])

Percentage of vote: 2.38%

4. Lion Cross (1 votes [2.38%])

5. Dragon Armor Leo (11 votes [26.19%])

Percentage of vote: 26.19%

6. Griffen Leo (5 votes [11.90%])

Percentage of vote: 11.90%

7. LRG LIon (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Metallic Leo (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Hunter Lion (15 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

10. King Leo, the First (1 votes [2.38%])

11. CTHULHU: THAT ONCE WAS PIRATE LION (4 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

12. Fight Club Lion (2 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

Vote

#126 galthisan

galthisan

boglin farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:22 AM

i dont care if i get zero vote, i had fun doing my one, only took me half hour ne way ;)

Well, based on efforts, you should get zero votes then,
I spent several evenings on mine!
Kitbashing was quick, but painting...
Try 3 basecoats, 2 finishing coats and a clean-up. :D
And I am sure a lot of the other entry's took a load of time to do as well!!

DK, who never had painted battlebeasts in more than one single color before...

PS I DO want a vote, please SOMEONE vote for me... :) :yucky:

he he he, which one is urs i will vote for ya, i still havent voted yet
proud member of:

A.T.Ni.M.S.

Abolish The Ninja Mites Section

#127 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:22 AM

Well, what I love is that so many of the contestants said it was their first custom and look how awesome they all look. Plus if you haven't vote yet, please do! As I mentioned having at least 50 votes would be cool. Since I put the poll up later then I said voting will end on July 20th.

#128 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:58 AM

july 20th~! i still have a chance... muahaha... :)

#129 lazzy lizard

lazzy lizard

fiznucking chillin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Interests:love to collect all sorts of stuff mainly star wars(new & old), motu (new & old), glyos, beastformers, godzilla, and some 80's cartoons and tv show characters. love making customs too!

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:03 PM

mine took about 2 hours or so, would have liked to do a bit more w/ it but time was a big factor, and i don't have lots of it to spare this summer. ;)

=)
AIN'T NO PARTY LIKE A BATTLE BEASTS PARTY CAUSE A BATTLE BEAST PARTY DON'T STOP!!!

VISIT MY CUSTOMS GALLERY>> http://www.littlerub...showtopic=17082

#130 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:57 AM

And the winner is...

#131 galthisan

galthisan

boglin farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:08 PM

Donkeykid77
proud member of:

A.T.Ni.M.S.

#132 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:46 AM

Well, the Sharpie-and-White-Out creation was LRG Lion. I had no idea that this contest was going to be more than repainting the figure-- I was stunned by the creativity of the other entrants.

I didn't think mine came out too bad for a first effort. I've colored two other figures I had afterwards (check 'battlebeast weapons' in Toy Identification. They're in the picture, too), and tried to color a third. Unfortunatly, the UM version of Road Rage doesn't cover up very well.

Congrats to everyone else who entered! The works were spectacular!
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#133 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:56 PM

Hahaha, man, i'm going straight back to the Fan Art Challenges. :D

This was a fun contest, but i think once was enough for me. Is it safe to say who did what yet?
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#134 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:30 AM

Voting ends noon eastern time tomorrow, but if the creators want to start revealing which ones you did be my guest.

#135 lazzy lizard

lazzy lizard

fiznucking chillin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Interests:love to collect all sorts of stuff mainly star wars(new & old), motu (new & old), glyos, beastformers, godzilla, and some 80's cartoons and tv show characters. love making customs too!

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:45 PM

i did what ghostlion referred to as "fight club lion" which was actually s/b "zombie pirate lion" the pics were less than par but most of you should know me by now to know i take suck ass pics.

:(

Edited by lazzy lizard, 19 July 2008 - 02:46 PM.

AIN'T NO PARTY LIKE A BATTLE BEASTS PARTY CAUSE A BATTLE BEAST PARTY DON'T STOP!!!

#136 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 04:03 PM

Wow..this is nice. I hadnt had a chance to see any of the custom entries prior to today but its nice to see custom work PERIOD. Everyone's creativity is inspiring :D I wish i would have entered :(

My vote's:

#1 Hunter Lion...that was a given. The level of detail that went into the figure is deserving of praise and that isnt even including the marvelous paint application. It reminds me of WH40K Ultra Marine armor for some reason....

#2 Dragon Armor Leo .... I was particularly surprised (and confused) by this entry. Its not only good (which wasnt surprising) but the paint application was quality as well (which was surprising). Thats inspiring to a person that doesnt paint much like myself. The armor reminded me of those mini figures that shoot marbles (?) out of their chest or something out of Dragonball Z'. Regardless of what it reminds me of ...its quality art and im glad to have seen it. Ahh...and i cant forget to mention the accessories. As a person that values "play value" as much as sculpt accessories are a plus with me.

#3 The 3rd and in a way most impressive entry IMO was the Lion Griffin. I didnt expect to like it as much as i did. It didnt "grab" me at first but i gave it a 2nd look...and then a third..and i was convinced. Its CLEAN , simple and effective. I have to put the emphasis on clean as thats what sold it the most IMO. Nice job.

Honorable mention:

King Leo the First
. First off...the figure itself is a diamond in the (very) rough...but in a way its very attractive as i can see what i think the artist was trying to pull off and thats a beautiful vision. A fully articulated King Leo using what looks to be a 1:18th scale (GI Joe) body - specifically Marvel SHS body (?) - is something we all would be better off owning lol. Its on par with 1:18th scale Thundercats which i know there would be fans of. Rough execution but excellent vision . It makes me smile thinking of what it could be :D
Divide & conquer works because of attachments people make to push-button issues, individual "leaders," parties, clans, tribes, policies, or agendas, leaving them open to manipulation.

#137 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 08:20 AM

Contest is over with 41 votes in!

3rd place goes to White Leo for his Griffen!

2nd Place goes to Blitzwulf for his Dragon Armor Lion

and 1st place goes to koppenschevelle for his Hunter Leo!

Congrats! Prizes will go out soon!

#138 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 08:22 AM

Also, I would like feedback from everyone on good/bad of this year's and any recommendations for next year's contest.

#139 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 20 July 2008 - 08:47 AM

Contest is over with 41 votes in!

3rd place goes to White Leo for his Griffen!

2nd Place goes to Blitzwulf for his Dragon Armor Lion

and 1st place goes to koppenschevelle for his Hunter Leo!

Congrats! Prizes will go out soon!

Congrats guys!!!! Koppen awsome work as always! And great job Blitzwulf!!! There where so many good entries! Great contest Pete!

WhiteLeo

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#140 lazzy lizard

lazzy lizard

fiznucking chillin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:05 AM

it was fun as always, next year we should move onto another character i think. how about ferociuos tiger? but then again it wouldn't be the pirfayte lion contest anymore! :lol:

=)

#141 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:26 AM

I don't have 12+ Tigers (or any other figure besides Lions to hand out...)

Even though he doesn't know this yet, next year's top prize will be a exclusive Lion custom that I will commission from Marty.

#142 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:29 PM

I'd like to say that this was an awesome contest. Thanks to Pete for his generosity in putting it on, and congrats to all the winners!

My suggestions for next year are to seek out and send more blasted Lions. Mine was too pretty, and we don't want the flagship character of the Battle Beast line going extinct. :)

My entry was the "Pirate" Pirate Lion, who i realized too late i should've called Peg-Leg Lion. That would've at least been slightly clever. B) While i'm still happy with the concept and sculpt alterations, i knew as soon as i saw the pics Pete took that the paint job was awful. I was busy with other art projects all month, and i took the Lion out of town with me for a week in late June to paint it. The paint didn't take, and i was stuck until i got back. After which i hastily painted the figure in one night and shipped it out the next morning. Didn't take that all important second look at it after stepping away for a bit i guess. Oh well. While i'll probably leave it to the professionals next year, it was a good time anyway, even if i'm not much of a painter. :)
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#143 galthisan

galthisan

boglin farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:10 PM

great comp, fun to be part of will def want to enter next year, at least it wont be my first custom and i will have a go at customising not just re painting. thanks ghost lion all you guys made some brilliant entries. mine was metallic leo.
proud member of:

A.T.Ni.M.S.

#144 koppenschevelle

koppenschevelle

Delta Chameleon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Battle Beast minmates, Armorvors, Hot Sauce, Tea, Pearl Jam, Films, Camers, Animals, Chameleons and lizards

Posted 21 July 2008 - 07:06 AM

That was a really fun contest. I was sad to see that I missed the contest last year, so I wanted to make an impressive entry this year to make up for it. I loved all the entries, especially that Dragon Armor Leo. That figure was fantastic!

The funnest part for me was that I forced myself to try some different things with the figure. I know the figure has my "style" imprinted on it, but there were things on him that I have never done before. First off, a lot of the extra stuff on him I hand sculpted, which I have never done before. I was especially happy with how the tail turned out. That took a couple tries before I got it just right. Also, pics can't show it well, but in person, the skin has a very charcoal/ash look to it. I was trying to make Lion look like he was from some charcoal or lead sketch of the original figure. So I forced myself to keep almost all the colors very very dark.

All in all a great contest. Looking forward to seeing another one done up. I'd love to see a contest done with either Triple Threat Snakes or just Lizards in general.

Eric

#145 Blitzwulf

Blitzwulf

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:36 AM

Hi all! Whew....finally, I can make a post. It's been tough to stay under wraps this whole time, but circumstances just dictated it be so. I just happen to stumble into this cool-ass forum at the same time Pete was taking names for the contest, fortunately, he was kind enough to give me a chance to participate. I decided to stay on the DL, so as not to let the cat of the bag as to which lion was mine. Actually, I think it made it even more fun!

Firstly, in regards to the contest, you all have done amazing jobs with your lions, and my hat goes off to all that participated! I know how it can be to try to juggle a job, homelife, etc., but it can be challenging to finish something like this in the given time frame, and that alone deserves recognition, but aside from that, there are some spectacular works in here that I would like to mention.

Lionator: Cool concept! The paint app is top notch, the kitbash was also pretty clean, as well as a nice choice of color. You should have gotten a couple of votes for this, I think. :rolleyes:

"Pirate" Lion: Again, a nice kitbash here. The paint job is actually pretty good, especially the armor, I can see where you were going with that. I think the yellow hurt the overall custom a little, perhaps playing your eyes against the dark armor. Keep at it, don't be afraid to develop that painting style some more ;)

Griffen Leo: This is a beautiful figure! I shuddered when I first laid eyes on it, knowing how well this was done. It really looks factory, as I'm sure that's what you were going for. VERY clean, a really nice job. I believe though, that had you done a little more detailing, i.e. inkwash/ panel line, or weathering to the armor, you'd have killed me in votes. Great work, and congrats on your win!

Hunter Lion: This one nearly got my vote before the page fully loaded. Superclean bash, beautiful weapons, and not over zealous, as many of my customs tend to be. The paint though... stunning! I wish I could see this piece in person to get the real feeling of it. Your blending/ and dry brushing techniques leave me feeling a bit envious. I've taken the time to view some of your other customs, and man are they impressive! This work is no exception. I've even created a few dino-type beasts after seeing some of yours, very inspiring! Congrats on your win, it is most deserved. :D

Dragon Armor Leo: My first custom beast! Alright, well I've made some custom toys before, mainly zoids, but this was my first figure. Funny thing is, I used parts from a zoids pvc figure to make the armor. Unfortunately, his helm got a little squished in transit. I took some pics before the Post Office manhandled it, just follow the link if you would like to see more. I really wish I had packed it better :cry:

Visit My Website

Kudos to all participants! A big thanks to Pete, and to those who voted for my entry. This has been great fun!

Edited by Blitzwulf, 21 July 2008 - 09:38 AM.

#146 Donkeykid77

Donkeykid77

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts!

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:22 PM

Lionator: Cool concept! The paint app is top notch, the kitbash was also pretty clean,
as well as a nice choice of color. You should have gotten a couple of votes for this, I think. B)

Thank you for your kind words, but my painting is nowhere near your or Eric's level,
and my kitbash pales in comparison to what Steve (WhiteLeo) can do.
Still, it was fun to do, and for what it's worth,
I think you should have gotten a couple more votes still too... :D

Personally I think you are on the same STUNNING level as Eric here!!
Great work, I look forward to seeing more of your stuff!!

And welcome to LRG!

DK.
Integre navigo, sic itur ad astra.

#147 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:14 PM

so do we have a list of who did which~?

#148 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 05:03 AM

blitzwulf: Dragon Armor

meatcutta78: Lion CRoss

koppenschevelle: Hunter Leo

scumdogg: Pirate Pirate LIon

whiteleo: Griffen Leo

galthisan: Metallic Leo

ericnilla: CTHULHU: THAT ONCE WAS PIRATE LION

cassel87: Buffalo Man Leo

donkeykid77: Lionator

reccoom kaboom: King Leo the First

theorgg: LRG Lion

lazzy lizard: Fight Club (Zombie Leo)

Edited by Ghost Lion, 25 July 2008 - 05:05 AM.

#149 galthisan

galthisan

boglin farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:37 PM

would any one be up for a mini boglin customising sort of thingy, i would be happy to provide the boglins and post em out and could give a slime or sealed in italian package for the winner and a scout or whatever for the runner up. i know theres not many fans but its a thought.

oli
proud member of:

A.T.Ni.M.S.

#150 meatcutta78

meatcutta78

Im a M.U.S.C.L.E head.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2479 posts
  • Interests:I'm all about mono mini sculpts! , I also like long walks on the beach and wearing G-Strings in the privacy of my home.

Posted 25 July 2008 - 05:16 PM

Congrats to our winners!!!! :D

I had some fun doing this,This was my very 1st custom,I hope with time I get better. :lol:

:M: eats
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com