• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#176 PlasticPlayhouse

PlasticPlayhouse

Mr. SparkleTits

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Interests:TMNT, m.u.s.c.l.e., GPK's, Classic NES, Transformers...pretty much anything pop-culture related from the 80's & 90's

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:02 AM

I vote "Blanket Party".

i know you're just kidding but i've seen them take place. not a pretty sight and they tend to happen "just because" rather than trying to help the person improve. i actually put a stop to one because it was a "just because" reason by two morons trying to rally others in the platoon. if you want a person to fish and expect them to catch anything, you need to first teach them how to do it properly. beating someone sensless isnt going to make them learn anything other than fear and hate.

Why would you ever sell those fantastic works? You should of went to Nintendo and offered to break each figure down for molding and have them mass produced and get a cut. If not, you should of got there permission to do it yourself. Those figures are really sellable to Nintendo fans, boxing fans, and kids in general. I really think they are some of the most impressive custom action figures based on a video game I ever seen. Sorry to hear your getting shafted due credit.

thanks man. if i kept every custom i've made, i would have to have two houses. one just to display my customs. it feels good when others get joy from and house my work :) i thought about contacting nintendo about producing them, but some of the faces and sculpts are too close to the WWE characters i used as bases. if they were completely original sculpts, i would have.

Demand a free copy!

Or a free e-book version.

Cuz you can stop the printing of the book or have the kickstarter stopped...

maybe i don't know but yeah a free copy might ease the pain.

i thought about asking for a free copy. but in reality the guy would have to shell out the $125 to fill the void. would that be worth it to him? probably not. it'd be easier to just remove my two pages of pics. besides...i'm all for fan projects like these. if he was set to profit from it, i'd have no qualms about demanding a free book or money. but being a person who makes fan projects all the time, it would be hypocritical of me to give this guy a hard time. i'm appreciative that he deemed my work cool enough to include in that really cool book.

Edited by PlasticPlayhouse, 14 September 2012 - 05:06 AM.

Want to commission me to customize your m.u.s.c.l.e. or any other figure??? then click the link below for further info and message (PM) me if interested :)

http://www.littlerubberguys.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69686&pid=351254&st=0&#entry351254

#177 Smudge

Smudge

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:design, music, books

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

but in reality the guy would have to shell out the $125 to fill the void.

That's assuming the books actually cost $125 each to produce and there are no margins for error.

Think of it this way. If he's selling 150-200 physical copies, giving you a free copy would cost him less than $1.00 per physical copy. Yeah, if he had to pay $1/copy to every artist who contributed, it would drive up the price. But the more backers this thing gets, the cheaper it should cost to get them printed, and the more there is left to compensate the artists who contributed. (100-250 copies gets a 15% discount at the print site he's chosen. And I'd expect other print shops to have even better rates than that.)

That's not to mention the $1250+ in digital copies (based on current backer count), which are of course free to print. :rolleyes:

What I'm saying is, unless his margin for error is razor thin, there should be a decent amount left over in the end, which might just go towards printing more copies of the book. In that case, there would be extra copies lying around at the end which would cost him nothing extra to give you. After all, he said it's "non-profit" so he shouldn't be just pocketing whatever's left.

#178 PlasticPlayhouse

PlasticPlayhouse

Mr. SparkleTits

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Interests:TMNT, m.u.s.c.l.e., GPK's, Classic NES, Transformers...pretty much anything pop-culture related from the 80's & 90's

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

That's assuming the books actually cost $125 each to produce and there are no margins for error.

Think of it this way. If he's selling 150-200 physical copies, giving you a free copy would cost him less than $1.00 per physical copy. Yeah, if he had to pay $1/copy to every artist who contributed, it would drive up the price. But the more backers this thing gets, the cheaper it should cost to get them printed, and the more there is left to compensate the artists who contributed. (100-250 copies gets a 15% discount at the print site he's chosen. And I'd expect other print shops to have even better rates than that.)

That's not to mention the $1250+ in digital copies (based on current backer count), which are of course free to print. :rolleyes:

What I'm saying is, unless his margin for error is razor thin, there should be a decent amount left over in the end, which might just go towards printing more copies of the book. In that case, there would be extra copies lying around at the end which would cost him nothing extra to give you. After all, he said it's "non-profit" so he shouldn't be just pocketing whatever's left.

well the kickstarter met its goal and was funded, BUT nintendo never got back to the guy, giving him permission to run the book, so it was cancelled. its a shame, because that was a really cool book. oh well...

its been a while since i posted any kind of update...so here you go!

here are a couple of commissioned battle beasts. the puffin use to be a penguine. i sculpted the puffin bill on him.
Puffin & Orka
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

here is a customized set of lazer beast eagles. the commissioner said they wanted them to represent the various elements. this is what i came up with :)
Eagles of the Elements
Posted Image

wind & earth
Posted Image
Posted Image

fire & lightning
Posted Image
Posted Image

wood & water
Posted Image
Posted Image

time space
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by PlasticPlayhouse, 14 November 2012 - 06:10 PM.

Want to commission me to customize your m.u.s.c.l.e. or any other figure??? then click the link below for further info and message (PM) me if interested :)

http://www.littlerubberguys.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69686&pid=351254&st=0&#entry351254

#179 PlasticPlayhouse

PlasticPlayhouse

Mr. SparkleTits

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

some more...

I have always liked the Dr. Dome character and his fearsome little domeoids. As many of you already know, these villainous characters were introduced in TMNT issue #15.

This is my first attempt at a full on human face/head sculpt and I think it turned out pretty well. The only thing I would have done over would be to make his head a little Weider. Sometimes it's hard to tell how good a sculpt is or if any of the details are off until after it's painted.

The domeoids are made from scratch. I wanted to put weapons in their hands, like some of them use in the comic, but it would have thrown them off balance. If a domeoid can't stand then it's not very useful.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Domeoids
Posted Image
Posted Image

wip's
Posted Image
Posted Image

reference
Posted Image
Posted Image

Jim Lawson (comic book artist for TMNT) is working on a new story called Dragonfly and commissioned me to make this lil'guy. If you've ever visited his Facebook page, you have probably seen the picture he posted. To be honest, I'm not too sure what Dragonfly is all about. From the art I've seen it's got John, a human girl, and dinos. I'm really looking forward to checking it out whenever Jim releases it.

you can check out stuff at Jim's website below. it also has a link to his facebook page.
www.jimlawsonart.com

This figure is a beast! It stands a little over 7 inches tall and weighs 1-1/2 lbs...and it still stands strong! Most action figures are only a few ounces, so 1.5 lbs is crazy. The extra weight is due to all the heavy sculpt work that I did.

The paint work looks much better in person. The vividness of the colors have been washed out by the lights. Both my camera and lighting tent have about had it. I need to replace both :(

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

reference
Posted Image

wip
Posted Image

#180 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

whoa~! Awesome~!

#181 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1854 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:59 AM

Damn Rick, you've created my Penguins worst nightmare with that Killer Whale :)
Great pieces of art again, great job!

The Eagle project has turned into a huge succes as well.

Perfectly skilled artist you are and its an honor to have you out here on the board willing to realise our ideas!

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#182 Metalmonkey

Metalmonkey

Ironhaus apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:Collecting/making/talking about LRGs.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:33 AM

Man your custom work is the best I have ever seen! So clean and vibrant, I don't know how you do it. You have a real amazing talent.
Keep up the great work, I'll def be hitting you up for some customs soon. Wow.

bannerfans20blog2015.jpgbanner2015_1.jpg

#183 Glock

Glock

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

WOW! I am going to get some beasts rounded up.

#184 PlasticPlayhouse

PlasticPlayhouse

Mr. SparkleTits

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:35 AM

finally some more minis!!!

GPK series 2
Posted Image

Still Jill & Horsey Henry
Posted Image
Posted Image

Nasty Nick & Les Vegas
Posted Image
Posted Image

Mouth Phil & Distorted Dot
Posted Image
Posted Image

Fishy Phyllis & Grim Jim
Posted Image
Posted Image

Beaky Becky & Catty Kathy
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ali Gator & Eerie Eric
Posted Image
Posted Image

I was so stoked when I got the request to custom paint this set. It was something that I had always wanted to do at some point. Obviously the majority of cheap toy collectors would not get an original series 2 fig painted due to the extreme rarity of that wave. But thanks to ENilla, many GPK fans can now happily complete their collections with quality casts.

With all that said and with the exception of Still Jill, I was actually a bit disappointed with series 2. The sculpts are a lacking when compared to the first wave. Most notably are the eyes. In this line, the sculptor didn’t give them the trademark half-circle eye. Instead a smaller full circle was used. This detracts rather substantially from the original look of the character as illustrated on their respective cards. As you can see I tried to “replicateâ€￾ the half-circle eye as best I could (which was no easy task on something this tiny). If I would have painted them using the eye they provided, it would have looked really bad. In general, the overall sculpt of the figures were not as accurate as series 1, which leads me to believe that series 2 was sculpted by a different artist than the original series.

Nasty Nick and Grim Jim were sculpted by “outsideâ€￾ artists and were not part of the official series 2 set. That said, these two actually have a better quality of sculpt. Both use the half-circle eye and are highly accurate to their card art.

I still enjoyed painting this set. I think that by trying to correct the eyes, I actually was able to improve the overall look of this set. I hope to see many more new high quality sculpts by fan artists in the future :)

Edited by PlasticPlayhouse, 27 November 2012 - 06:39 AM.

#185 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

Amazing Job~! I've been so busy I havent seen able to send you some, but I will soon. I need a painted set like this. :)

#186 Jackson

Jackson

Mondo Brawndo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

I must also have a set at some point! Those look great! Eerie Erik and Still Jill are my favorite Series 2 figures because they don't have circles for eyes. ...And yes there was definitely a different sculptor for the series 2 figs.

Edited by Jackson, 27 November 2012 - 01:44 PM.

#187 PlasticPlayhouse

PlasticPlayhouse

Mr. SparkleTits

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

Mark Bode style Michaelangelo

i have always had a soft spot for mark bode's tmnt work. issues 19 and 26 had two of the most lively covers in volume one. they happen to be two of my personal favorites. mark's stories were also lively and made for really fun reading. mark did the pencil work for both of those issues, though some people assume that he inked them too, which is not the case. as most of us fans know, kevin eastman (i belive eric talbot had a hand in it too somewhere) did the inks. as great as those drawing are, they are the by product of both artists. mark's solo art can be seen on the variant covers for those issues and also in the special, times pipeline. i wanted to try and capture mark's unadulterated style so i used the shell of the dragon variant cover as my reference.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ref
Posted Image

wips
Posted Image
Posted Image

armorvor: Winter Wolf aka Blizzard
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#188 ersico

ersico

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

that armorvor is amazing!!!!!!!!!
and your photos don't do it justice man, i love him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! great colors and feel to him and dang, that snowflake is perfect...you have perfect details :)

#189 PlasticPlayhouse

PlasticPlayhouse

Mr. SparkleTits

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

that armorvor is amazing!!!!!!!!!
and your photos don't do it justice man, i love him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! great colors and feel to him and dang, that snowflake is perfect...you have perfect details :)

thanks man! it was a lot of fun to do. blue is my favorite color too and i thought the snowflake would be a nice touch for Christmas and all. i'm really happy that you like it :)

#190 ersico

ersico

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

happier than you know, i hope you don't mind me posting my pics in your thread of him, hes just too pretty not to reshow :)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#191 gammo

gammo

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

I'm speechless. These customs.... so many... sooo good.

#192 Stratos

Stratos

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

These are fantastic! I just recently discovered them thanks to WeirdoToys.com. I have 17 of the MUSCLES you used to make your customs and I plan to make a set of my own inspired by yours. Thanks for the inspiration!

#193 PlasticPlayhouse

PlasticPlayhouse

Mr. SparkleTits

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:16 AM

gammo and stratos, thanks for the kind words! i'm very happy you guys appreciate my work :)

here's a couple of commissioned pieces that i've had on my workbench for a while that i just finished up. sorry for the crappy pics :(
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

one of Eric's sitting Adam Bomb
Posted Image

and some more TMNT goodness. this time i made a Donatello in the style of the new IDW comics style that was (for the first year) drawn by Dan Duncan.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

here's a work in progress shot
Posted Image

reference
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by PlasticPlayhouse, 23 February 2013 - 05:19 AM.

#194 Bigmantoys

Bigmantoys

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

JEsus, this stuff's amazing! Are those TMNT 3.75? The artistry is incredible but i'm really turned on seeing how you articulated 'em!

www.bigmantoys.co.uk

If you've ever seen a one trick pony then you've seen me.

#195 PlasticPlayhouse

PlasticPlayhouse

Mr. SparkleTits

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

JEsus, this stuff's amazing! Are those TMNT 3.75? The artistry is incredible but i'm really turned on seeing how you articulated 'em!

thanks! all of my custom tmnt figures are 6" scale.

#196 PlasticPlayhouse

PlasticPlayhouse

Mr. SparkleTits

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

here's a few battle beast customs. the commissioner provided the base figures and asked me to customize them so they resemble the Star Fox crew from the video game :)

Posted Image

#197 Pseudomancer

Pseudomancer

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:The Trash Pack, Kinder eggs, Hello Kitty. Looking to start collecting Monster in My Pocket, and maybe flesh M.U.S.C.L.E.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

That's so ace!!

It turned out perfectly. Well done~!

#198 PlasticPlayhouse

PlasticPlayhouse

Mr. SparkleTits

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

thanks pseudomancer :)

here's a murray christmas gpk cheap toy that i painted for someone.
Posted Image

also a little painting that i made for myself. i've always been big fan of Charlie Brown and TMNT...so why not combine the two!? honestly i'm not normally a fan of mash-ups, but this one felt really fun.

It's the Great Shredder Charlie Brown!
Posted Image

Edited by PlasticPlayhouse, 16 April 2013 - 07:10 PM.

#199 PlasticPlayhouse

PlasticPlayhouse

Mr. SparkleTits

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:53 AM

yet another Ninja Turtle custom. i just love them so :D i seem to get into grooves when i customize. i've made about 95% of all the GI Joe characters from 1983-1988 in 6 inch form. i also made the entire Mike Tyson's Punch Out line and the entire NES Pro Wrestling line. and when i get my fill of TMNT artist's styles, i'm sure i'll move on to some other franchise, most likely video game related. i have a lot of fun with classic video game lines.

I've been pretty pumped with the secret history of the foot clan comics that Santolouco has been pumping out lately. I'm also really looking forward to his next venture, city fall! Santolouco's style was pretty difficult for me to bring to the 3rd dimension. overall i think i did ok. i went with Mikey on this one. i liked the happy go lucky Mikey that we get glimpses of, so that's the route i went...happy go lucky Mikey. thanks for looking and let me know what you think :)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

reference
Posted Image

wips
Posted Image
Posted Image

#200 PlasticPlayhouse

PlasticPlayhouse

Mr. SparkleTits

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

man...this is like the never ending page!

here's a few new minis :)

they are available for sale in the Got Toys section:
http://www.littlerubberguys.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=161740

A Winner is You!
Posted Image

here are some customized m.u.s.c.l.e. figures from the 80's that i made in the likeness of one of my all time favorite NES games, Pro Wrestling! in this lot all seven characters are here.
King Slender
Kin Corn Karn
Giant Panther
The Amazon
Fighter Hayabusa
Star Man
and the End Boss, Great Puma

you can find more info on this awesome game here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Wrestling_(Nintendo_Entertainment_System)

here is a customized TMNT Leatherhead (or just a cool little alligator if you're not into TMNT). i trimmed off some un needed parts and sculpted a new snout and little scale trail down his back.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com