#1 Hibbinator1000

Hibbinator1000

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:12 AM

https://www.ebay.com...r/332584281898?

What do you all think? I am not sure... It does not seem to have the little circles left from the mold.

Thanks

Hibbz

#2 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:43 PM

Looks weird, ask for a pic of under the feet

#3 butterbeaster

butterbeaster

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:06 AM

I don't think mold circles would show, as the figure is supposed to have 2 layers of paint.  http://www.littlerub...ails.cfm?item=5

Start with the feet, then risk the shipping costs.  I think the only way to know, for certain, is to pull the arms out.

#4 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:53 AM

There´ve been or are a couple of doubts with some Stone Cobra´s that have been or are currently listed.

All of which are mainly based upon color issues, some look discolored (caused by the light used to get it pictured(?)) while others (like the one mentioned here) seems to have to much glossy effect and to dark (?) strange lining compared to other verified Stone Cobra´s.

I´ve had a couple people contacting me about these issues recently and it´s hard to be 100% sure in these cases simply because the pics provided are not giving enough certainty. Problem is that it is very hard to capture the Stone Cobra in a good way and for some reason (maybe the glossy finish) the colors of its skin tone can seriously discolor on a picture in case the wrong light conditions are used. But than again it might also be a discoloration issue...

Long story short with these figures, and at the rates they´re going at, don´t take a risk if you´re not 100% sure or happy with the condition of the figure you see on the pictures. Most of these issues can only be identified once you have the figure in hand but that´s obviously to late. In those cases where the price might be relatively low it might be worth the gamble because if it does turn out to be only a light issue causing the discoloration it´ll pay off but that´s a gamble you´ve to take for yourself.

In this specific case I´d not advice you to take the gamble based on the pics provided because it´ll be a $700 guess knowing there´s quite a few concerns with this one which again might all be caused by the light but it´s hard to tell. Additional pics, indeed bottom of the feet, might help but that wont take a way the strange wash-effect feel I get looking at the figure in detail. It just doesn´t line up with the looks we know from the Stone Cobra...

I wouldn´t take the risk on this one at that price.

ps. Based on the Striping (look at the 3 obvious Stripes on its head) I´d not be surprised if this figure is the exact same one as shown in an earlier post about a Stone Cobra with some doubts; http://www.littlerub...howtopic=264792

Or that figure has been serving as the reference and they tried to mimic that one. The (almost) identical 3 Stripes on the head are definitely a remarkable detail to keep in mind, of course also here the light plays a big role in how the figure looks overall but I´d not be surprised if it were the same figure.

Edited by Beastformers, 15 March 2018 - 07:59 AM.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#5 Hibbinator1000

Hibbinator1000

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:06 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I will see if I can get a pic of the feet! Not sure I want to risk it though!
Hibbz

#6 Hibbinator1000

Hibbinator1000

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:29 PM

Not sure if this helps... it is a little blurry and I can’t see it very clearly.

Attached Files

Hibbz

#7 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:00 AM

The pic doesn´t help since it only confirms that that what is there looks valid apart from the odd paint job.

Again it really depends on the perspective how you look at it because on the one hand it could be a well done reproduction, although it is strange the seller did sell originals before and why not paint the solid grey one as well, while on the other hand it could be an early ¨prototype/test shot¨ figure. As mentioned the main reason for us to hold back on this figure before (assuming it´s the same figure based on the earlier mentioned details) was because of the fact that even if it were an early version of the Stone Cobra it is simply impossible to verify...

If you want a ¨special¨ Stone Cobra which in time might turn out to be something special while at the same time it might also turn out to be a good reproduction this might be an interesting figure for you. But it is not said that in time this will be completely clarified and explained and please be aware that in that case you do take the risk of purchasing a reproduction of $700...

So in case you just want to be 100% sure about a original Stone Cobra without any risks this definitely ain´t the right figure to go after because there´s just to many ??? surrounding this figure and IF it is legit it´s not an original released version of the Stone Cobra.

It´s not very helpful because there´s open ends that can´t be matched at the moment, hope the info here will help you to make a decision though.

In case the seller is willing to take some more pics I´d advise you to ask for pics under daylight conditions because so far all the pics we´ve seen of this figure have been under artificial lighting conditions and together with the quality of the pics that´s just not clarifying anything.

Edited by Beastformers, 16 March 2018 - 05:02 AM.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com