• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts (I migrated over from the Beastformers boards), the sciences, Baseball (Huge St. Louis Cardinals fan) and of course, women.

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:52 PM

I know that making customs takes care, time and a lot of energy. I have a friend who's into Warhammer and he tells me all the time about what happens with small/weak parts and what you have to do in order to fix/manipulate parts to get them to work right.

I'm also well aware of the Anals of Thermodynamics and how the disorder in the universe is ever increasing.

That being said, I know that TGB has been doing his custom beasts for a while now. I'm curious as to the details of how long the molds for his customs characters are expected to last (i.e. how many figures can you produce out of one mold?) and how many have been produced to date.

I'm personally going to purchase all three God Beasts' to make sure that I have the full set. (In fact, I'm buying the Wood Beetle as soon as I can decide on a coloring scheme, and I already know what coloring scheme I want for the Water Tuna but I have to wait until the spring before Marty can mold it).

Can some of these details be shared with us on the boards? And maybe some other little tidbits of info that might be obvious to a kitbasher but not quite so obvious to the average collector?
Formally known as Artimus Prime

#2 koppenschevelle

koppenschevelle

Delta Chameleon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Battle Beast minmates, Armorvors, Hot Sauce, Tea, Pearl Jam, Films, Camers, Animals, Chameleons and lizards

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:59 PM

I would also be curious to know, especially since my Pegasus is now going through the process, or atleast will be sometime in a bit.

Eric

#3 lazzy lizard

lazzy lizard

fiznucking chillin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Interests:love to collect all sorts of stuff mainly star wars(new & old), motu (new & old), glyos, beastformers, godzilla, and some 80's cartoons and tv show characters. love making customs too!

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:51 PM

in my little experience of molding & casting stuff, molds lasted for about 35-50 casts per mold. smaller molds lasted a bit lease than bigger part molds.

=)
AIN'T NO PARTY LIKE A BATTLE BEASTS PARTY CAUSE A BATTLE BEAST PARTY DON'T STOP!!!

VISIT MY CUSTOMS GALLERY>> http://www.littlerub...showtopic=17082

#4 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:30 PM

Great question!

I use the highest grade silicone for my molds and plenty of release agent (which you aren't supposed to need with silicone, however, I have discovered that you can get a lot more out of your molds if you use it).

I have gotten as few as 25 casts out of a mold (muscles) and as many as 40 out of a mold.

I am concerned with my #122 GB WB mold lasting much longer and even my #113 SS...I am seeing the mold starting to show signs of sticking and eventually tearing.

So, I would say 25-40-45 tops...I haven't had any molds go past 45 yet.

Now #'s...hmmmmmm...

That is a GREAT question too! I have no idea...I have a good guess and I can say this...I have not remade a single BB/LB or GB mold.

The cobra mold crapped out at around 25 or so and has been long gone for 2 years now.

Gator is nearly shot...like maybe 2-3 more or so and I have made about 28-30 of him.

I have made maybe 12 bats, 25 carps, and 12 spiders.

I have made maybe 5-7 #98's, 20-25 #101's, 5-7 #102's, 10 #107's, 15 #108's, 12 #110's, & 5-7 #111's.

I have made maybe 10 #113's, 12+ #114's, & 8 #115's.

I have made maybe 18 #120 GB WT's & 25 #122 GB WB's.

I trade 66%-75% of them.

I have seen very few resold on Ebay, actually just 3 collectors and 2 of them only have a couple of my customs...the other had several.

So as everyone can see...in 4 years or so...not many are being made and they should continue to hold value and be prized possessions in collector's collections!

I have NO PROBLEM with collectors reselling them, however, I prefer that they stay in the BF's community and NOT go on Ebay unless they absolutely have to and then, I EXPECT clear descriptions stating that they are CUSTOMS!

I hope this info helps guys,
TGB

#5 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts (I migrated over from the Beastformers boards), the sciences, Baseball (Huge St. Louis Cardinals fan) and of course, women.

Posted 21 February 2005 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for this info Marty! Appreciate it!
Formally known as Artimus Prime

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com