- - - - -

Musclemania (Select) Bootleg Figures

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#51 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:37 AM

I picked up 9 of these guys yesterday. Since we have so few pictures, I thought I would add them here. I think you have the most Soupie, is there anything unique here?

Once I have them in hand, I'll let you know if the are soft or hard versions.
Attached File  1.jpg   90.99K   70 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   78.67K   85 downloads
I'm also hoping they clean up a bit too. :)

#52 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:56 AM

Nice score. Nothing new as far as sculpts and color. The green looks a tad dark, but that's not unusual in pictures. The green is much lighter, and nicer, in hand. I'm going to guess that these are made of the hard- or medium-type plastic, probably the medium.

So far, the only ones I've found in the soft, rubbery material are the sculpts that were actually in the bubble on your card. (They also come in different colors, including flesh.) I just got a few loose ones from Theorgg. (You can see a picture some of them on Toypedia.)

SpasticPlastic had previously mentioned the existence of the soft, rubbery ones, but I hadn't seen any until I received Theorgg's.

I'm thinking that we're dealing with two different toy lines that were awkwardly thrown together. The soft, rubbery ones that aren't pictured on the MUSCLEMANIA card, and the medium/hard ones pictured on the card that we've yet to find carded. :D

It's almost like the soft, rubbery ones were leftover stock that they decided to lump in with the MUSCLEMANIA line. Although, the figures I got from Theorgg do have wrestling belts too. :wacko:

Edit: :) All "my" thinking had already been done by Fitz earlier in this thread. Also, the rubbery figure that Spastik shared a picture of is actually one of the sculpts pictured on the back of Veer's card. So, maybe they are all the same MUSCLEMANIA toy line after all. :shrug: We'll just have to wait for more info.

Edited by Soupie, 18 May 2009 - 10:40 AM.

Posted Image

#53 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:18 PM

How do the sizes compare, Soups? Also, I tried to look at the new addition to the MUSCLEMANIA page, but it wasn't on there, yet. Even refreshing didn't pop it up.

-TheOrgg

Oh, Soups-- should you mention that the very soft MUSCLEMANIA figures will 'bleed' onto other figures?

Edited by theorgg, 18 May 2009 - 12:23 PM.

Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#54 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:55 PM

Can I just add another reason I like these? They're fun!

Edited by General Veers, 19 May 2009 - 04:10 AM.

#55 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:45 PM

How do the sizes compare, Soups?

Well, none of the women I've been with have had a prob--, er, oh, the size of the figures. :( Yeah.

The image I was thinking of is actually on the Toypedia Flickr page. You can see they're the same scale.

http://www.flickr.co...239795/sizes/o/

Also, you can see one of the rubbery ones in a solo Figabulary entry here: http://minifigures.b...abulary_02.html
Posted Image

#56 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:33 AM

With these figures being knock-off's from a pretty odd company, I can see them shifting materials at any point. I wouldn't be surprised if they were always looking for the lowest bid. This might also explain the change in size.

Order #1 = Company A, original molds, hard plastic.
Order #2 = Company B, molds from figures, softer plastic.
Order #3 = Company C, molds from figures, softest plastic.

What do you think? :)

#57 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:07 AM

Whether the change in plastic type was for cost-saving purposes or marketing purposes, I don't know, but it's not unprecedented. Diener Space Creatures can be found in at least three different plastic types as well: firm, soft, and rubbery. The rubbery ones, like the rubbery MUSCLEMANIA ones, were also marketed as erasers.

Also, I have actually not noticed a size difference between any sculpts, no matter the plastic type.

I believe Theorgg was asking if the rubbery MM figures he sent me were the same scale as the firm-plastic ones I had. They are.
Posted Image

#58 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:18 AM

Oh, ok. :)

#59 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:25 AM

Correct. Looking at pictures of the non-stretchy ones, they look like they'd be smaller than the stretchy ones. Apparently not. The size alone makes these guys pretty cool, really.
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#60 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:51 AM

Attached File  2.jpg   78.67K   85 downloads

This weekend I was taking a look at these figures, and I noticed something. I think that the figure marking on the back (the letter), is like a figure number. It isn't their mold, but rather their identification marker. Each figure has a different letter, and my doubles (even in different colors) had the same letter. I think the set is A through J.

#61 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:23 PM

So I have been looking into Select from time to time, mainly because I think MUSCLEMANIA should have a part at UofM (but I don't know what). Anyways, it looks like Select was about one thing only - ripping off other toy companies.

Convertors

I even had some of these. :D

EDIT - And here are some more of the Ninja Assassins.

Edited by General Veers, 16 November 2009 - 12:23 PM.

#62 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:42 PM

Anyways, it looks like Select was about one thing only - ripping off other toy companies.

By ripping off, do you mean stole their ideas or actually bootlegged the sculpts of other toy lines - like Exogini did to Kinnikuman and Ninja Mites? The reason I ask is because if the MUSCLEMANIA figures are bootlegs of a higher quality toy line, I'd love to know what it was.
Posted Image

#63 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:54 PM

I'm sorry – I should have been clearer.

I believe they created their own stuff, but it was entirely based on existing properties. There could be situations where they copied a product exactly, but it seems like they took the "care" to avoid that.

#64 Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:54 PM

So I have been looking into Select from time to time, mainly because I think MUSCLEMANIA should have a part at UofM (but I don't know what). Anyways, it looks like Select was about one thing only - ripping off other toy companies.

Convertors

I even had some of these. :huh:

I never really thought Converters were ripoffs, just a lesser known brand behind Transformers and Gobots. They have a bunch of quite unique figures. The spies were some of my favorites. Yes, there was a robot bandwagon at the time, but it doesn't necessarily mean it was a ripoff.

It is true that here are also quite a few bootleg Converter copies out there as well.

#65 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:09 PM

I'm sure he means ideas, not actual sculpts. Some of the Convertors do share molds with figures that ended up being Transformers, but that's because those molds got licensed to more than one company, which included Hasbro (TFs) as well as Select.

#66 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:25 PM

Whether the change in plastic type was for cost-saving purposes or marketing purposes, I don't know, but it's not unprecedented. Diener Space Creatures can be found in at least three different plastic types as well: firm, soft, and rubbery. The rubbery ones, like the rubbery MUSCLEMANIA ones, were also marketed as erasers.

Is there a possiblity that at least one of these types of plastic is for the vending machine market?

#67 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:23 AM

MUSCLEMANIA at UofM. ;)

#68 NamaNiku

NamaNiku

FKA: uoozuman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3207 posts
  • Interests:http://nama-niku.blogspot.com/

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:16 AM

Great write-up Veers!
Posted Image

#69 TOPHER

TOPHER

Chit Happens.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Interests:My Recording Studio, Video Games, Shelby Cobras, M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle/Laser/Greek Beasts, MIMP+WIMP, Remco Mini Mashers, Figurines holding any kind of musical instrument, Weird Ball Wrestlers......

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:10 AM

DITTO :good:
'On Sale' or 'For Sale'. It's really the same thing! The word, 'Sale' means YOU CAN BUY IT,
not that it is discounted. We as consumers are conditioned to think"On Sale"means it's cheaper.
Posted Image

#70 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

Just bumping this interesting old thread.
Posted Image

#71 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

Since this thread got a bump I'll let you know I have tons of additions to make to UofM's MUSCLEMANIA section.

Just have to find some extra time. :confused:

#72 Aikola

Aikola

Main Offender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

I was telling soupie the other day that 3 years after starting this thread I finally managed to score some of these, i got the really stretchy ones they are kind of strange and weird to hold unlike anything ive seen in a minifigure before, just got to track down a couple of harder ones now.
Aikola: Collecting figures that no-one else cares about since 2007.
"Punk Rock: A loud, fast and deliberately offensive style of rock music"

My Trade List
My Little Army
Aikola's Mini Boglin Colour Archive

#73 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, Neclos Fortress, GPK, '80s fantasy toys, all kinds of monster-themed little rubber guys.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

I had a bunch of the soft, stretchy versions of these as a really little kid. I'd guess I got them in the late 80s, I want to say Toys R Us. I think all of them have since melted, at least partially (just by being stored in a box, not left out in the sun or anything). Sometimes onto other figures, creating a big mess. Not a good material for durability. Most I had to throw away because they were melted beyond recognition. I am sure I still have a couple even though they're damaged. I'll take a pic later.

Edited by fkro6784, 20 March 2012 - 01:03 PM.

14460229430_bb17eb3c18_n.jpg

#74 bronchuseven

bronchuseven

pentagonal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

I seem to recall that original Kinkeshi will melt as well, but only onto certain types of plastic.

#75 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

The kinkeshi won't melt, but it will melt plastics such as capsules. :)

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com