#1 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:03 PM

http://www.tfw2005.com/

I think the armor looks cool, but no symbol blows!

#2 SebsterZombie

SebsterZombie

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:46 PM

http://www.tfw2005.com/

I think the armor looks cool, but no symbol blows!

This is so cool, but the figure looks like a custom with bad paint, or some kind of prototype. I hope the final product will be different :/

#3 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:58 PM

Wow! That was a great little review. I'm very glad he showed us just how it was assembled. For what it is, it looks pretty awesome as a toy. And the possibilities seem pretty endless for the series.

My first impressions from the earlier shots were that the head and armor were like one big piece. It's very nice to see that the armor and head actually fit over a standard minimate body. It makes play that much more interesting. So you would be able to mix and match figures from any Minimate line easily! It's like a step further from when we used to switch our beasts arms around.

So based off of this review, this line actually has some solid potential. I'd like to see more armor pieces, and think the tail should have been socketed into the armor instead of molded into it. I also hope to see animal themed weapons and accessories, or at least more unique designed weapons like the original series 1 of BB. I have to say the sword was pretty cool looking, and the small hole in the blade makes me think it will somehow attach to something.

Posted Image

#4 Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:28 PM

That's pretty neat. I agree you could really mix and match like crazy with these guys. Hope they rethink the emblem though.

#5 dabbuu

dabbuu

Serious Collector

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 573 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:39 PM

I just received one of these guys and they are quite incredible. I am upset over the emblem but other than that they are really cool. It's a minimate but you'd never realize it just handling the figure. If fits in quite well with the regular battle beasts. It just really needs an emblem to truly be a battle beast. Either way though it is pretty awesome

dabbuu
Posted Image

#6 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:10 PM

It's not a Battle Beast!!!!! That is a monstrosity! WTF! No emblem <_< . And you can pull it apart what the hell is that. Oh, these are screwed! I do like the articulation but that is it. I am sorry the BB community is getting effed in that ass with these imposters.

They are not getting my money.

sborders

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#7 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:14 PM

It's not a Battle Beast!!!!! That is a monstrosity! WTF! No emblem <_< . And you can pull it apart what the hell is that. Oh, these are screwed! I do like the articulation but that is it. I am sorry the BB community is getting effed in that ass with these imposters.

They are not getting my money.

sborders

I can definitely agree about these not being Battle Beasts. Other than the name these are completely different. However, I think they may be tough enough to stand on their own. The Minimate collectors will eat these up I'm sure. Sadly I'm not a Minimate collector, nor am I a solid Battle Beast collector. So it is likely that they won't be getting my money as well. Either way, I'm still curious to see how far this line goes. Really aside from the Gold and Silver Gators, they have shown us absolutely nothing. For a line allegedly due out this year, I'm surprised that this was the only thing they had on hand at the 2010 Toy Fair pertaining to this line.

Posted Image

#8 Sniper33

Sniper33

Local Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2912 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:46 AM

i think it looks pretty good, i still prefer the originals over them though. the details and articulation is real nice, i might pick a few up but i wont go out hunting for them.........atleast not at first.

Posted Image

#9 phillinley

phillinley

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:37 PM

If they wanted to make a line of toys like that they should have just made it on their own, not rip apart a classic brand name with minimates that don't even come close to looking like battle beasts. They're battle beasts in name only.

#10 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:25 PM

Other than the missing rub, these should be pretty sweet. I am not really digging the Gator, but I would really love to see the other beasts before I form more of an opinion.

#11 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:36 PM

If they wanted to make a line of toys like that they should have just made it on their own, not rip apart a classic brand name with minimates that don't even come close to looking like battle beasts. They're battle beasts in name only.

The armor, especially the arms and leg pieces, are fine updates to Battle Beast armor and fits into the line pretty nicely. I don't know, if this guy had a little square with a rubsign, or heck a place you could stick a repro one on, I would be very happy with it.

#12 Battlechaser7

Battlechaser7

Epicurian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:00 PM

I have only started collecting Battle Beasts and have absolutely no strong attachment either way but seeing some of the strong reaction from collectors I can only imagine the backlash when they start cranking out minimate Pirate Lions or Stone Cobras without rubs.

Best,
Chris
キン肉マン

I buy toys, So I can sell toys, So I can buy more toys...

My Need toys link--Please check out for trades, updated as trades occur
need toys
My Available Trades
got toys

#13 Drew

Drew

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:32 PM

I have only started collecting Battle Beasts and have absolutely no strong attachment either way but seeing some of the strong reaction from collectors I can only imagine the backlash when they start cranking out minimate Pirate Lions or Stone Cobras without rubs.

Best,
Chris

You make a great point, they better just keep the name Pirate Lion off their tongue if they dont want a riot!

I'm very torn on these new pieces...on one hand its really cool to know new Battle Beasts are going to be made, on the other this isn't what I want from the new BB's I dont think. I really want to see more than this Gator. I will most def pick one of these up to check it out for myself, then depended on what else they make depends on if I ever buy another. I hope they sell them in 2 packs of 2 BB's and not just this cardboard set with another regular minimate.

Its wierd to see these things for sale on Ebay too!

#14 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:03 PM

This Q and A leads me to believe that they are not far along on other figures and may have just thrown the Gator out there to gauge interest.
http://toynewsi.com/...68&itemid=15319

Most notably this question and answer:
Zac Finkenstein
As a toy fan who grew up in the 1980s I was thrilled to hear about the old Battle Beasts line being revived as Minimates. Since the announcement information has been scarce, would you mind sharing a bit more? Some reports talked of you guys outright buying the Battle Beasts property from Hasbro rather than just licensing it, is that true? A major facet of BBs in the original line was the Water vs. Wood vs. Fire rub-stickers. Will these stickers, or at least the three factions also be a part of the new line? When might we see more of these new Battle Beast designs?

DSTChuck: Right now we have no hard set plans for Battle Beast its something we’re working on and taking our time with. We have several designs across several lines that we’re reviewing.

Edited by Ghost Lion, 23 February 2010 - 03:04 PM.

#15 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:22 PM

This Q and A leads me to believe that they are not far along on other figures and may have just thrown the Gator out there to gauge interest.
http://toynewsi.com/...68&itemid=15319

Most notably this question and answer:
Zac Finkenstein
As a toy fan who grew up in the 1980s I was thrilled to hear about the old Battle Beasts line being revived as Minimates. Since the announcement information has been scarce, would you mind sharing a bit more? Some reports talked of you guys outright buying the Battle Beasts property from Hasbro rather than just licensing it, is that true? A major facet of BBs in the original line was the Water vs. Wood vs. Fire rub-stickers. Will these stickers, or at least the three factions also be a part of the new line? When might we see more of these new Battle Beast designs?

DSTChuck: Right now we have no hard set plans for Battle Beast its something we’re working on and taking our time with. We have several designs across several lines that we’re reviewing.

Yeah, they better take there time with it. What they have now is junk. They could do so much more with these figures. Cartoons, apparel, comic books, kick ass toys etc... I know it is Mini Mates who bought the rights, but they could expand away from the mini mate line. Imagine if they got Todd McFarlane to do bigger figures. :unknw:

The possiblities are endless.

sborders

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#16 lhssenior

lhssenior

Toy Addict

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1464 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:55 PM

Yeah, they better take there time with it. What they have now is junk. They could do so much more with these figures. Cartoons, apparel, comic books, kick ass toys etc... I know it is Mini Mates who bought the rights, but they could expand away from the mini mate line. Imagine if they got Todd McFarlane to do bigger figures. :unknw:

The possiblities are endless.

sborders

That's why I love the Four Horsemen's 'Seventh Kingdom' line. Not as armored out as BB, but big, WELL detailed anthropomorphic animals with a large selection of weapons. These guys make GREAT display pieces! I'm still trying to get my hands on a few of the Minotaurs from the first release.
-Barry

#17 AFCMan

AFCMan

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:08 AM

God! What have they done?!?!?

The new Battle Beasts look terrible.
They'll never, ever beat the original Hasbro line from the 80's, in fact, I'm gonna go email Hasbro right now and register my disgust and DEMAND they re-release the original Battle Beasts! :D

#18 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:09 AM

Until today i had almost forgotten about the "new battlebeast" line but after having watched the video created by Pixel Dan it seems with just some minor tweaks this line would be fine and a winner.

Creating a successful Battle Beast line seems simple to me - recreate the originals and add articulation. Everyone is happy (well articulation fans are happy and classic fans would appreciate a sculpt more faithful to the originals).

So with regard to the new Battle Beast prototype
- Shrink the heads. Its out of proportion with the rest of the body (animal head or not). Theres no need to use the heads as slip over mask on a minimate round head base. Simply make the head and add a ball socket.
- Round and sculpt detail on the legs. Ive made something almost exactly like the Battle Beast shown at home (several actually) using a minimate body as a base as well. If i can round the legs theres no damn reason a well funded company cant and add top notch detail on them as well.
- Maintain the height of the originals (or as close as possible) . The height of the gator "battle Beast Minimate" doesn't bother me but why not try to be as faithful to the original as possible?
- Add a square base that looks like the seating area for rub emblems on the original 1980's figures (assuming they cant use rub emblems or identify the beast with element clans). Fans will paint or add their own emblems. Hell place non element emblems there as secondary market element symbol placeholders. Thats fan service and everyone wins.

3-4 minor and easy steps that arent difficult makes this line a winner. Anything other than that is simply trying to reinvent the wheel. Theres no need. If the changes above were made...id buy some . The new battle beast doesnt look horrible but it doesnt look much better than what people can accomplish at home on their own with REAL battle beast as a base.

That being said...if you want to make your own articulated battle beast that look exceptional and still use the classic bodies just buy your own joints. Ive made my own joints in the past but came across joints that function the same way my home made joints do...

for less than $5 (or 6 shipped) :D

Id rather buy my Battle Beast from the minimate team but only if they make them closer to the originals.

Edited by Articulationnut, 25 February 2010 - 09:17 AM.

Divide & conquer works because of attachments people make to push-button issues, individual "leaders," parties, clans, tribes, policies, or agendas, leaving them open to manipulation.

#19 Majintahu

Majintahu

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:37 PM

I think it's way to early to tell how this line will play out. we've only seen one figure.
I'm trying to keep my hopes low, just in case.

#20 Drew

Drew

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:46 PM

One that I bought off eBay came in the mail today, I am impressed with how it looks really. I guess I didnt realize how big it was compared to the original BB's even though Ive seen them photographed together. If they add a rub or sign I think it could be a really nice toy line. To me nothing will compare with the originals but I'm still excited about the new ones.

#21 lazzy lizard

lazzy lizard

fiznucking chillin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Interests:love to collect all sorts of stuff mainly star wars(new & old), motu (new & old), glyos, beastformers, godzilla, and some 80's cartoons and tv show characters. love making customs too!

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:43 AM

i didn't like these at first glance, but after looking at it some more, i kinda like it. i'm looking forward to seeing what the rest look like before i go and start ordering them from my local comic shop.

i wonder who will be next in the line up?

=)
AIN'T NO PARTY LIKE A BATTLE BEASTS PARTY CAUSE A BATTLE BEAST PARTY DON'T STOP!!!

VISIT MY CUSTOMS GALLERY>> http://www.littlerub...showtopic=17082

#22 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:21 AM

One that I bought off eBay came in the mail today, I am impressed with how it looks really. I guess I didnt realize how big it was compared to the original BB's even though Ive seen them photographed together. If they add a rub or sign I think it could be a really nice toy line. To me nothing will compare with the originals but I'm still excited about the new ones.

Can you do a photo review?

#23 Lee

Lee

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:26 AM

Until today i had almost forgotten about the "new battlebeast" line but after having watched the video created by Pixel Dan it seems with just some minor tweaks this line would be fine and a winner.

Creating a successful Battle Beast line seems simple to me - recreate the originals and add articulation. Everyone is happy (well articulation fans are happy and classic fans would appreciate a sculpt more faithful to the originals).

So with regard to the new Battle Beast prototype
- Shrink the heads. Its out of proportion with the rest of the body (animal head or not). Theres no need to use the heads as slip over mask on a minimate round head base. Simply make the head and add a ball socket.
- Round and sculpt detail on the legs. Ive made something almost exactly like the Battle Beast shown at home (several actually) using a minimate body as a base as well. If i can round the legs theres no damn reason a well funded company cant and add top notch detail on them as well.
- Maintain the height of the originals (or as close as possible) . The height of the gator "battle Beast Minimate" doesn't bother me but why not try to be as faithful to the original as possible?
- Add a square base that looks like the seating area for rub emblems on the original 1980's figures (assuming they cant use rub emblems or identify the beast with element clans). Fans will paint or add their own emblems. Hell place non element emblems there as secondary market element symbol placeholders. Thats fan service and everyone wins.

3-4 minor and easy steps that arent difficult makes this line a winner. Anything other than that is simply trying to reinvent the wheel. Theres no need. If the changes above were made...id buy some . The new battle beast doesnt look horrible but it doesnt look much better than what people can accomplish at home on their own with REAL battle beast as a base.

"Shrink the heads."

Actually there is, it saves Diamond money to release individual heads like that as slip on masks rather than all new heads, and it’s a style issue really, nearly every head that doesn’t use the basic Minimate cylinder head has been a slip on mask in the past three years.

"Round and sculpt detail on the legs. & Maintain the height of the originals (or as close as possible). "

Once again big reasons here, as a Minimate fan and not much of Battle Beast fan either of those would completely kill my, and many other peoples, interest in this line. These are Battle Beasts Minimates, not Battle Beasts 2 or something, if the Minimates sell well I’m sure they’ll start another line that is more inline with the originals.

"Add a square base that looks like the seating area for rub emblems on the original 1980's figures"

Agree here that would be cool, would mostly be a cost issue.

#24 dockingbay97

dockingbay97

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:23 PM

God! What have they done?!?!?

The new Battle Beasts look terrible.
They'll never, ever beat the original Hasbro line from the 80's, in fact, I'm gonna go email Hasbro right now and register my disgust and DEMAND they re-release the original Battle Beasts! ;)

I hate to say this but you can email Hasbro all you want. This isn't a license, DST straight up owns the property now. It was left too long without use and DST gobbled it up.

I dig the figure. Sure it isn't the old ones but there is potential there for a cool toy line. It is just one figure to gauge interest. I say email DST your thoughts so they can see what the market want.

I took several pics of mine for another site but here is a side by side with other Beasts.

Posted Image

#25 phillinley

phillinley

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:54 PM

Once again big reasons here, as a Minimate fan and not much of Battle Beast fan either of those would completely kill my, and many other peoples, interest in this line. These are Battle Beasts Minimates, not Battle Beasts 2 or something, if the Minimates sell well I’m sure they’ll start another line that is more inline with the originals.

No these are minimates masquerading as Battle Beasts, which is part of the problem this line will have. I could give a damn if changing things to make them actual Battle Beasts would make minimate collectors not collect it. Along the same vein, you could give a damn about them looking like actual Battle Beasts. This trying to please both sides just makes it a pile of crap.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com