#51 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:21 AM

Who won Faber v. Curran?

Its not just that Jens won, its that Swanson thought Jens was faking an injury so he didn't have to fight.
I like Cub Swanson but thats just stupid. Jens still undefeated at 145 lbs.

Remind me to recommend a good WEC card to anybody who wants to know why I love MMA, the unpredictability.
That anybody can score a win no matter how bad it looks at the moment.

#52 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:20 AM

Who won Faber v. Curran?

Faber won in decisive and very impressive fashion. I was really expecting Curran to be a spoiler here, and you could tell that he was totally confident in himself.

They came out and both threw front kicks at the same time, pretty much testing one another -- perhaps to gauge the others quickness, etc. One of them shot, not sure which, there was a super quick scramble... and Curran had Faber's back with a tight body triangle! I was thinking to myself, "I knew Curran would own this guy." Faber was in trouble! But he didn't panic for a second. You could see it on his face. He just went to work. Curran was on his back for about 3 minutes. At one point, Faber stood up, with Curran still on his back, and slammed Curran to the mat. With about 1:00 to go in the round, Faber escaped and got into Curran's guard and threw some nasty elbows. At that point, I think Urijah had Curran mentally beat.

I won't spoil the 2nd round for you, but at one point, Faber and Curran are clinched with Curran trying to get a single -- he has Faber's one leg lifted off the ground, with Faber against the fence, and Faber jumps and lands a wicked knee into Curran's ribs -- it may have caught his head too.

:D
Posted Image

#53 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:43 PM

Nice, how long until Faber v. Pulver for the title? Shouldn't be to long with the Pulver fight being so high up on the card last night.

#54 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:11 AM

Bump for UFC 79 tonite, of course for some reason we have to work tonite. Works really starting to cut into my MMA watching.

I'll probably get to see most of the fights though. Hopefully I'll have time for at least Hughes v. St. Pierre

#55 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:25 AM

Yes, a handful of exciting matchups. I think the Machida/Sokoudjou fight has a lot of potential! Here's a highlight reel of Machida beating up on some people including Rich Franklin and BJ Penn! (By the way, I highly recommend the site linked to -- MMA Mania.)

Also, it seems that Liddell and Silva got into it pretty good at the weigh-ins, with Chuck flipping Wandy off at one point. Could be all for show... or maybe they really do hate each other. We can only hope!

;)
Posted Image

#56 nemesisbonga

nemesisbonga

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Tattooing, Art (usually printmaking or illustration) and Music (mostly classic rock and blues). BB/LB, Madballs, Deadpool and anything done by Sam Kieth or Amanda Conner. And tikis, almost forgot about the tikis haha.

Posted 30 December 2007 - 06:41 PM

Guys i missed it what happened?
"If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water"--Loren Eiseley

#57 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:37 AM

Soko, the Pride fighter who upset Arona and Little Nog with TKO's was in waaay over his head with Lyoto Machida and was nearly KO'd with a right in the first round and subbed in the 2nd via a sweet arm triangle choke. (The fight was very similar to the last Houston Alexander fight... good on his feet, mediocre ground skills.)

Chuck Liddell and Silva had an absolute 3 round slug fest. They danced around for a minute or so and then locked horns. Liddell struck first, but Wand recovers so quickly he landed two bombs when Liddell waded in for the kill. It was back and forth the remainder of the fight with Wand getting the worst of pretty much each round. Chuck shot in for two take-downs and even threw a spinning back fist at one point. Very, very edge-of-your-seat exciting fight! Chuck wins via decision.

GSP and Hughes. As soon as the fight started, it was over. GSP towered over Hughes. It was crazy! GSP's legs were as thick as Hughes' waist... seriously. Hughes looked like a little kid in there with GSP... and was thrown around like one too. GSP threw Hughes around like Hughes was some novice fighter. GSP via ironic arm bar... round two!

:o

Overall, a really enjoyable card... but not for old Pride fans.

:thumbsup:

Attached Files

Edited by Soupie, 31 December 2007 - 07:32 AM.

Posted Image

#58 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:46 AM

Fedor fought in Japan early in the morning American time.

Here's the fight on dailymotion for now. Definitely check it out!

In the pic below, Fedor is on the right. He was the favorite... I do give him props for at least stepping in the ring with that giant.

:thumbsup:

Attached Files

Posted Image

#59 nemesisbonga

nemesisbonga

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Tattooing, Art (usually printmaking or illustration) and Music (mostly classic rock and blues). BB/LB, Madballs, Deadpool and anything done by Sam Kieth or Amanda Conner. And tikis, almost forgot about the tikis haha.

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:18 PM

Well i must say i am glad to hear that Chuck won. What can i say i'm a iceman fan. Not to take anything away from Silva he is a great fighter. To be honest i thought chuck would get beat. GSP that one was a no brainer. Yeah from the footage soko didn't have much of a chance. Thanks for the info Soupie.

Whens the next card?

Edited by nemesisbonga, 01 January 2008 - 04:19 PM.

#60 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:57 PM

I didn't get a chance to see the Fedor v. Choi video before they took it down. Thats all right I knew that it was more a publicity stunt than anything else.
I'd hoped for a decent fight, I hear Choi has had some success in Kickboxing, but having somebody with one MMA victory fight somebody you want us
to believe is one of the top fighters in the world is a joke. Hopefully we will get Fedor v. Couture and on a card we can see in the U.S..

#61 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:20 AM

I didn't get a chance to see the Fedor v. Choi video before they took it down. Thats all right I knew that it was more a publicity stunt than anything else.
I'd hoped for a decent fight, I hear Choi has had some success in Kickboxing, but having somebody with one MMA victory fight somebody you want us
to believe is one of the top fighters in the world is a joke. Hopefully we will get Fedor v. Couture and on a card we can see in the U.S..

Yeah, my description above of the fight was purposefully misleading... Fedor wins fairly easily via armbar at 1:54 of the first round.

I would love to have seen him in the UFC, but apparently the contract offered by the UFC -- though offering Fedor the most $$$ ever -- was very, almost ridiculously, restrictive. One of the main things, I've read, was that Fedor would not have been allowed to participate in the Russian sport of Sambo -- something he apparently takes great pride in doing. There were other things, such as the number of fights per year and the conditions if he lost or went undefeated which both seemed like lose/lose situations for Fedor. For instance, if he went undefeated, the contract continued indefinitely as is... if Fedor were to lose a fight, the contract was scrapped and the UFC had no obligation to honor the contract.

Really, I don't know all the details, and I'm sure there's many sides to this story. Another consideration, in all seriousness, is that Fedor seems to have a tendency to cut/bleed very "easily" which would not bode well for him in the UFC which allows elbows.

At the end of the day, there is still a tiny bit of hope that Fedor and Randy will face one another, but the window is small and it's closing very, very quickly.

:lol:
Posted Image

#62 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:25 PM

Van Damme is a little too "happy" about Fedor's win... :lol:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#63 nemesisbonga

nemesisbonga

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:37 PM

Dude that is a little disturbing, yet i can't say i'm at all shocked.

#64 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:57 PM

Yeah, how 'bout the little head tilt and left-eye wink at the end.

:lol:
Posted Image

#65 rock-n-wrestling

rock-n-wrestling

Disaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:45 AM

I find myself watching more and more the MMA style and it's growing fast in popularity. I watch mostly UFC just because it's on SPIKE TV so often, but have caught some of the PRIDE matches too, which are good in their own right.

One of my favorite fighters is Diego Sanchez.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Einstein

Posted Image

#66 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:30 AM

Van Dame tried to kill our MMA thread but I won't let him :rolleyes

Who was on board last night for UFC 81? I missed it watching college basketball because the basketball was free and I didn't have to drive anywere.

How does it rank in the last couple events, any fights worth checking out?

I already looked up the results, was Lesnar v. Mir really the most exiting 90 sec. fight in "UFC history" or is it more hyperbole to promote
a crossover star.

#67 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:14 AM

I already looked up the results, was Lesnar v. Mir really the most exiting 90 sec. fight in "UFC history" or is it more hyperbole to promote
a crossover star.

Definitely NOT the most exciting fight in UFC history, but exciting none-the-less. Brock came out, engaged with Mir, and they fell to the ground with Lesnar on top. He immediately started hitting Mir with head shots, fits and hammer fists, but it was pretty wild and not really controlled. He landed a direct hammer strike on the back of Mir's head and the ref stopped the fight and took a point from Lesnar. The engaged once again and once again Mir ended up on the bottom. Lesnar was moving Mir's legs all around trying punch down at him and got caught in a knee bar. Lesnar tapped, and that was that.

Lesnar needs to work on his submission recognition (he did, but just too late) and his defense. He also needs to work on being under control when attacking. Personally, I don't think they should have thrown Lesnar, a wrestler, in with Mir, a black belt in Brazilian Ju-Jitsu, for his first fight. They should have put him in there with another wrestler or a striker.

Big Tim Sylvia was knocking Big Nog all over the octagon, and even knocked him down with a BRUTAL left/right combo directly to the jaw... but Nog does what he always does and hung in there. He tried desperately to take Sylvia down with a single leg about 4-5 times, but finally clinched with him and pulled guard, both fell to the ground with Sylvia on top, Nog then swept him, and damn, he was like a snake... it was all over.

There were a few other half-decent fight, especially one with a fighter who lives in the next town over from me. His name was Bochek or something. He comes from a big wrestling high school in our area. He had taken the fight on 10 days notice against a fairly solid David Heath. However, he threw 3 vicious front kicks that all landed in Heath abdomen/ribs. He finished the fight with a flurry of knees and threw/pushed Heath into the fence, where Heath landed awkwardly on his face. A few clean up strikes, and it was ALL OVER.
Posted Image

#68 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:21 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#69 Czarcher

Czarcher

Ruling Lands Far And Wide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
  • Interests:Ultraman,
    Dragon Ball
    Kinnikuman,GPK

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:32 AM

Big Tim Sylvia was knocking Big Nog all over the octagon, and even knocked him down with a BRUTAL left/right combo directly to the jaw... but Nog does what he always does and hung in there. He tried desperately to take Sylvia down with a single leg about 4-5 times, but finally clinched with him and pulled guard, both fell to the ground with Sylvia on top, Nog then swept him, and damn, he was like a snake... it was all over.

Does that mean Sylvia won? :bunny:

#70 lhssenior

lhssenior

Toy Addict

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1464 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:45 AM

Does that mean Sylvia won? :bunny:

Nope, he got caught in a guillotine and tapped real quick. He definitely dominated the fight up to that point though.
-Barry

#71 Czarcher

Czarcher

Ruling Lands Far And Wide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
  • Interests:Ultraman,
    Dragon Ball
    Kinnikuman,GPK

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:08 AM

Does that mean Sylvia won? ;)

Nope, he got caught in a guillotine and tapped real quick. He definitely dominated the fight up to that point though.
-Barry

Ah man ! Dammit ! :bunny:

#72 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:11 AM

"Cage fighting" slugs its way on to prime-time TV

ProElite Inc. has broken through the cable/PPV wall and landed a prime time slot on CBS. (Incidentally, I'm sure ProElite Inc. is furious that 1) their company is not mentioned until about 5 paragraphs into the above article, and 2) so is its biggest competitor, the UFC, that does not have a prime time deal.)

Regardless, this is good news for MMA fans.

Edited by Soupie, 29 February 2008 - 08:13 AM.

Posted Image

#73 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:59 PM

Not to mention the inaccurate statement that the fighters wear no protective gear. I mean come on they have lightweight gloves to protect their hands after going upside someones skull.

#74 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:42 AM

Just a quick reminder that UFC 82: Pride of a Champion is tonite at 10. It's available via Pay-Per-View.
Posted Image

#75 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:29 PM

Unfourtantly I have other plans for tonite because I like this lineup better than the last couple. Oh, well I should be around for UFC 83.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com