13 replies to this topic

#1 Bitteredge

Bitteredge

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:13 PM

Hi, this is my first sculpt. I thought I'd share some WIP shots  :) Lots and lots of cleaning up to do then I need to get adding detail after I've sorted his missing thumb(now with 100% more thumb). And then lots more to clean up ;).

(I was having trouble with hosting pictures hopefully these display now)

UPDATED

shark_man2.png

shark_man.png

OLD PICS 

shark2.jpg

shark3.jpg

Edited by Bitteredge, 10 March 2018 - 04:39 PM.

#2 Maxrez

Maxrez

Cosmic Loot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:53 AM

Nice stance!
It's hard to give life in a sculpt. Will it have a tail?

#3 Bitteredge

Bitteredge

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:16 AM

Thanks man, as he's my first sculpt I took my time with the armature phase :) He's going to have a short sort of vestigial looking tail. I've already sculpted the tail and fin parts separately, I just need to blend them in to the sculpt now. He's also missing the thumb on his left hand, clothing (I'm thinking something like He-Man/Conan), eyes and brows, gills, elbow fins and a bunch more detail and lots of clean up on the finish. 

#4 Maxrez

Maxrez

Cosmic Loot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:01 PM

Depending on you are using to sculpt but what's wok best for me is to put the maximum of details in the "fresh".It's easier tome model small things like eyes or teeth when the paste if fresh than having to carve them later.

I use sculpey/cernit polymer clay wich can be sanded after it was baked, i only have to sand a little to make uniform all the surfaces. If i need to add more details i would use something like green stuff or hard plastiline.

Has he a belly button? Does shark have a belly button? haha

#5 Bitteredge

Bitteredge

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for the tips :) I'm using milliput it's a two part epoxy putty. I definitely agree on the detail carving. I've only got additive detail to do now so I should be able to avoid major carving. Milliput does sand and carve well though and I like the different stages of the cure for different things.

I've had a little mess with green stuff but I need to give it a bit more time I found it hard to work with. I've seen some amazingly detailed results using it though so I don't think I'm 'getting' it technique wise.

Plastiline looks like a cool product I may check it out some time what HG hardness do you use?

Legend has it that he was a man who was crossed with a shark in a occult lab experiment. Others say he's the demi-god son of Neptune himself. His belly button's origin story is as mysterious as his own ;)

#6 Maxrez

Maxrez

Cosmic Loot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:04 AM

Milliput or green stuff scares me because of the limited sculpting time. Some people do incredible amount of details with it but i like to take my time.
If i use plastiline it's on the final stage before molding because it will never harden so the figure must be handled with care. I use the hardest one, 70. You have to warm it well for it to stick to the figure. It's very nice to fill some little nasty dents.

#7 Bitteredge

Bitteredge

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for the info :) The final stage of the cure just before its sets is really nice for cutting out detail with a scalpel I've found. Pushing down on the scalpel doesn't cause any were near as much compression on the edges as when you first mix it. I've messed with making some belt accessories and they come out looking great.

#8 Bitteredge

Bitteredge

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:55 PM

Just a little update. I've got a bit of detail to put down and lots of clean up to do!

shark_man2.png

shark_man.png

Edited by Bitteredge, 10 March 2018 - 02:09 PM.

#9 UncleGhastly

UncleGhastly

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:04 AM

You're new to sculpting? I would guess you'd been at it for a little while from this. Nice work.

#10 Bitteredge

Bitteredge

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:48 AM

You're new to sculpting? I would guess you'd been at it for a little while from this. Nice work.

Thanks the encouragement means a lot :) This is my first sculpt physically but I used to be a 3D artist in the games industry so I have a bit of head start when it comes to form etc. 

A friend and I are looking at getting a 3D printer bought so our next stuff should be super clean and detailed as it'll be sculpted digitally.

I'm going to cast this guy when he's done so he'll be up for sale somewhere in a few colourways.

#11 RedMoaiMan

RedMoaiMan

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Collecting M.U.S.C.L.E. figures, making unique ooak art dolls, and what ever else catches my interests/inspires my creativity.

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:57 AM

Nice work :thumbsup:

#12 UncleGhastly

UncleGhastly

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:20 PM

I used to be a 3D artist in the games industry so I have a bit of head start when it comes to form etc. 

I experienced that in reverse. After sculpting for years and then trying 3D modeling I found that the tough part was just learning the software since I already knew how to make characters and objects in three dimensions.

#13 Crunkenstein

Crunkenstein

Krunk-en-sh-tEYEn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Living up to my name

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:24 PM

If you're not finished, what about sealing your creation in an airtight container to keep soft until you resume work?

#14 Bitteredge

Bitteredge

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 04:44 AM

Nice work :thumbsup:

Thanks loads more polish to go but he's getting there.

I experienced that in reverse. After sculpting for years and then trying 3D modeling I found that the tough part was just learning the software since I already knew how to make characters and objects in three dimensions.

That's definitely true. Getting used to sculpting with no undo is a different experience. Like the other day I finished the front of his loin cloth and I was happy with it. I then preceded to squash the crap out of it while doing the eye so I had to rip it off :S

If you're not finished, what about sealing your creation in an airtight container to keep soft until you resume work?

The piece is made using Milliput which is a two part epoxy putty. After you mix the two parts you get around an hour to sculpt. And its fully hard in no time.

I use an upside down jam jar with bluetak in the lid, it works great for holding the piece between working on it :)

Edited by Bitteredge, 25 March 2018 - 02:03 PM.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com