Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

As an impartial observer... M.I.M.P. vs M.U.S.C.L.E.

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 ComradeCuttlefish

ComradeCuttlefish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:28 AM

As an impartial observer who doesn't collect either MIMP or MUSCLE but has sold/sells both, I can say without hesitation that MIMP is the cooler toy line. The figures are much more detailed. The colors are more vibrant. The material is nicer to the touch. All around, MIMP is just a better toy.

#2 Biffard

Biffard

Team Truffle Shuffle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:02 AM

As an impartial observer who doesn't collect either MIMP or MUSCLE but has sold/sells both, I can say without hesitation that MIMP is the cooler toy line. The figures are much more detailed. The colors are more vibrant. The material is nicer to the touch. All around, MIMP is just a better toy.

Unless you intention is to stir the pot, wouldn't this post be better served in the MIMP thread? By the way, MUSCLE > Battle Beast :woot:

#3 NamaNiku

NamaNiku

FKA: uoozuman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3207 posts
  • Interests:http://nama-niku.blogspot.com/

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:10 AM

The originality and character design of the M.U.S.C.L.E. line far superior to MIMP. The depth and variety of figures alone smashes MIMP into oblivion.
Posted Image

#4 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:17 AM

MIMP look cooler on display but, for my money, M.U.S.C.L.E. has a much higher play/replay value.

#5 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:17 AM

On the sculpts: While there are quite a few really sweet MIMP sculpts, most of them look rather bland. And those that are nice tend to look muffled due to the material. They only really show out when painted. Kinnikuman had so many awesome sculpts, even though quite a few were lamers.

On the material: I like the harder rubber of the MUSCLEs (and even the eraser rubber of keshi) a lot better than the squshy rubber material of the MIMP figures.

On the colors: I don't think anything beats the M.U.S.C.L.E. flesh color, but M.I.M.P. definitely does have some great colors.

#6 ComradeCuttlefish

ComradeCuttlefish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:19 AM

Unless you intention is to stir the pot, wouldn't this post be better served in the MIMP thread? By the way, MUSCLE > Battle Beast :woot:

Well, Battle Beasts are obviously superior to MUSCLE and MIMP, but I am a little biased. They come with weapons. They are multicolored. They have holograms. Their design is far more creative and detailed. And they are obviously more popular because of their association with Transformers. "Trannies" agree: Battle Beasts are the coolest.

#7 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:26 AM

Are we allowed to talk about trannies in this forum?

***ALSO***
I do not seem to remember my M.U.S.C.L.E.s shoulder joints breaking off into their sockets...
Just sayin'...

Edited by ironmask, 28 October 2011 - 10:32 AM.

#8 Leitmotiv

Leitmotiv

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Caving, Mushrooming, Newsletter creation, radio, formicariums, guitar, singing, writing, thrift stores, garage saling, board games, discussion

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:31 AM

Are we allowed to talk about trannies in this forum?

MIMP rubber reminds me of cheap bootlegs. The colors are too bright and vivid; an allure to younger eyes. Flesh is best and brings out all the detail.

As for originality, the Muscles have it hands down. MIMP is by definition, regurgitating old monster lore.

#9 TOPHER

TOPHER

Chit Happens.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Interests:My Recording Studio, Video Games, Shelby Cobras, M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle/Laser/Greek Beasts, MIMP+WIMP, Remco Mini Mashers, Figurines holding any kind of musical instrument, Weird Ball Wrestlers......

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:39 AM

Collecting both toy lines,and like them both,
I would say that it's totaly unfair to say MIMP are better than M.u.s.c.l.e. .
MIMP had different and unique series in that toy line to mix things up a bit.
and given that they were bigger they should of had more detail
than M.u.s.c.l.e. sculpts have.

Battle Beasts >=< M.u.s.c.l.e. :p

'On Sale' or 'For Sale'. It's really the same thing! The word, 'Sale' means YOU CAN BUY IT,
not that it is discounted. We as consumers are conditioned to think"On Sale"means it's cheaper.
Posted Image

#10 walker13.1

walker13.1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4950 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:45 AM

The material is nicer to the touch.

Dude, ummmm, yeahhhh, you're weird. :teehee:

#11 TheRiddler

TheRiddler

????????????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2357 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:31 AM

I collect both on a minor scale and would have to agree...I like the idea of MUSCLE better as far as the whole intergalactic wrestling thing goes better than a bunch of fictional monsters represented by a figure, but MIMP does have much more eye appeal.

#12 PimpNugget

PimpNugget

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:00 PM

I prefer MIMP. The mythology and urban legend/myth behind them is better than any wrestling story, IMO.

A think the sculpts are better than muscle (series 1 and 2 anyway)
I really like the soft material that MIMP are made from.

Edited by PimpNugget, 28 October 2011 - 12:17 PM.

Dude, you make me laugh.......at you.

#13 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:07 PM

I prefer MIMP. The mythology and urban legend/myth behind them is better than any wrestling story, IMO.

A think the sculpts are better than muscle (series 1 and 2 anyway) than muscles.
I really like the soft material than MIMP are made from.

No kidding?
Haha, I kid.
"MIMPin' ain't easy", kind of told your story for you.

Oh well, I'm sure we could easily find homes for all of those M.U.S.C.L.E.s that you guys find to be inferior.
:yes:

#14 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:19 PM

MIMP has incredibly awesome source material, and it taught a lot of kids about mythology. However, MIMP sculpts are generally sloppier and less-detailed than MUSCLE/Kinkeshi sculpts. They also have more "errors," like the Tengu's uneven fingers.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#15 bizrebellion

bizrebellion

<< Minifig Lover >>

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • Interests:BOGLINS in any shape or size,Minifig's, rockin' out on my guitars, my fiancee and my kids and bootsales (for the LRG's) x¬D

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:07 PM

in my honest opinion, (im probably gonna get flamed BIG TIME by saying this) i think mini Boglins are way cooler than both MIMP and MUSCLE's, maybe its just cos i grew up with mini Boglins more than them or maybe its just cos i like the features of mini Boglins more, but either way i dont think that mini Boglins get the credit they deserve man

surely ALL you guys collecting both MIMP and MUSCLE's have,,,, at some point,,, owned or even thought about mini Boglins,,,, right??

or am i just a sad sap who loves these grotesque little dudes on his own??? my son and 2 daughters love them at least,

opinions??

Posted Image

#16 Leitmotiv

Leitmotiv

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Caving, Mushrooming, Newsletter creation, radio, formicariums, guitar, singing, writing, thrift stores, garage saling, board games, discussion

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

in my honest opinion, (im probably gonna get flamed BIG TIME by saying this) i think mini Boglins are way cooler than both MIMP and MUSCLE's, maybe its just cos i grew up with mini Boglins more than them or maybe its just cos i like the features of mini Boglins more, but either way i dont think that mini Boglins get the credit they deserve man

surely ALL you guys collecting both MIMP and MUSCLE's have,,,, at some point,,, owned or even thought about mini Boglins,,,, right??

or am i just a sad sap who loves these grotesque little dudes on his own??? my son and 2 daughters love them at least,

opinions??

sure, I've owned MIMP, Boglins and Muscles... but let's be honest with everyone bizrebllion. Much like a fisherman, you're just a fancy puppeteer.

#17 TheRiddler

TheRiddler

????????????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2357 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:18 PM

opinions??

Mini boglins are awesome as well I dont collect them but have had a bunch in the past...Everything about them is cool, but I personally dont like the way they display...kind of looks like a bunch of colorful shart piles! I like to have a few around though because I like to throw single ones in my displayed collection here and there to add some cool flavor!

#18 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:22 PM

And one thing that genuinely bothers me about MIMP:

I love how it's a gateway drug to mythologyt, but their art direction was BAD. In the name of making monsters "cooler," they completely screwed up how they should look.

The Great Beast? Ditched every piece of its description except the number of heads.

Tengu? lolno.

Haniver? thanks to the inaccurate description and weird art direction, I never was able to find out what a Jenny Haniver was until very recently. The figure totally failed in its purpose.

Likewise, the Catoblepas should have been a wildebeest-esque creature, The winged lion thing was cool... but it was no Catoblepas. This left me confused for a long while.

Karnak? NOT A MYTHOLOGICAL DEITY. The likeness of a specific minor deity, but with the name of the Temple of Karnak?

Behemoth? The figure may look cool, but that is no Behemoth.

The Hydra? Turning a multiheaded serpent into a prehistoric peacock? REALLY?

Even though those figures looked cool, MIMP by definition had the responsibility of being ACCURATE as well as cool, and it failed miserably in that regard. It was a real problem whenever I as a kid would try to look up a monster. It actually managed to hurt any mythological research from me for a while, and I can't imagine how it turned off other kids.

Coatlicue and Kali are impressive, though, as they are directly based on idols.

Edited by Ridureyu, 28 October 2011 - 02:23 PM.

#19 bizrebellion

bizrebellion

<< Minifig Lover >>

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • Interests:BOGLINS in any shape or size,Minifig's, rockin' out on my guitars, my fiancee and my kids and bootsales (for the LRG's) x¬D

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:28 PM

ok,,,, i can take that,,, their just there for cosmetic reosons right,,,

well, i collect MIMP, MUSCLE's AND mini Boglins, and like i said, IN MY OPINION mini Boglins are the coolest,,,, IN MY OPINION,

i respect ALL you guys who collect both MIMP and MUSCLE's, and i do honestly think that their all seriously cool man, its just that i grew up with mini Boglins more, even though i had MIMP i just had mini Boglins more, therefor i think their cooler, nothing big about it, jesus christ man, is life seriously getting that sad that we gotta argue about whitch is the 'BETTER TOY' :confused:

still think mini Boglins are better though :rofl:

your all cool guuys, i love you all :good:

Posted Image

#20 PimpNugget

PimpNugget

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:44 PM

And one thing that genuinely bothers me about MIMP:

I love how it's a gateway drug to mythologyt, but their art direction was BAD. In the name of making monsters "cooler," they completely screwed up how they should look.

The Great Beast? Ditched every piece of its description except the number of heads.

Tengu? lolno.

Haniver? thanks to the inaccurate description and weird art direction, I never was able to find out what a Jenny Haniver was until very recently. The figure totally failed in its purpose.

Likewise, the Catoblepas should have been a wildebeest-esque creature, The winged lion thing was cool... but it was no Catoblepas. This left me confused for a long while.

Karnak? NOT A MYTHOLOGICAL DEITY. The likeness of a specific minor deity, but with the name of the Temple of Karnak?

Behemoth? The figure may look cool, but that is no Behemoth.

The Hydra? Turning a multiheaded serpent into a prehistoric peacock? REALLY?

Even though those figures looked cool, MIMP by definition had the responsibility of being ACCURATE as well as cool, and it failed miserably in that regard. It was a real problem whenever I as a kid would try to look up a monster. It actually managed to hurt any mythological research from me for a while, and I can't imagine how it turned off other kids.

Coatlicue and Kali are impressive, though, as they are directly based on idols.

Muscle, the gateway drug to the WWF, WWE, NWO, AWA? Haha

Muscles and their diporportioned features (heads, hands, ect) are not the the model of consistancy. I'd have to argue muscle, in the name of making wtrestling cooler, screwed it up. Mattel had a resposibility to be acurate in dealing with imaginary figures just as MEG did. How is MIMP responsible for being acurate? Acurate to who? Acurate to what? They weren't called Mythology/Deity/Urban Legend In My Pocket

I don't watch much wrestling but I've never seen an upside down pyramid, an elephant headed dude, a stone arch, a claw or any of those other figures fight. I tend to think they don't look like they are supposed to look. We'll need to find the intergalactic wrestling counsel and ask them if that is how they actually look.

My point is MEG's rendition doesn't match your perception of what those figures should look like, so what? Find me a real Hydra, Cerberus, Behemoth, and show me how MEG is wrong.

Seriously how does one get confused by MIMP? Is there nothing confusing about muscle?

Edited by PimpNugget, 28 October 2011 - 05:52 PM.

#21 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:51 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Ta-da!

MEG didn't juist make up random imaginary monsters. THey took them from mythology, and even listed their sources. The least they could have done was FOLLOW those sources. And you want to talk about MUSCLE accuracy? Sure. MUSCLE is absolutely accurate to Kinnikuman. They didn't give Kinnikuman two heads, turn Sunshine into a peacock, or reinterpret Robin Mask as a schoolgirl. However, they made up Karnak and incorrectly attributed it to actual Egyptian mythology, turned the Tengu into a gremlin gargoyle, and made the Hydra into a scaly peacock. As cool as the figures look, they are really inaccurate. This is as bad as a movie "based on a true story" that then proceeds to fudge it all up.

Also, RE: The Great Beast - it should have seven lion heads, ten horns, one crown on each horn, a leopardlike body, bear's claws/paws, and a mortal wound on one head. It rose from the sea, so you could probably add some fins or scales at other parts.

Edited by Ridureyu, 28 October 2011 - 05:57 PM.

#22 89cpe

89cpe

sweep the leg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1510 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:06 PM

move this to sandbox? mimp is my least favorite toy that i have currently.. i have the ones from when i was a kid and didnt really like them then either.. bb is awesome but not in the same catagory as muscle and mimp... either way muscle pwns those lame mimp and bb

#23 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:07 PM

I do want to add, I love MIMPs,a nd they look cool, but the accuracy thing still makes me go "Arrgharrghargh."

Anyway, should this be moved to General Toys, rather than Sandbox? I'm thinking so, but i'll give it a second.

Edited by Ridureyu, 28 October 2011 - 06:12 PM.

#24 PimpNugget

PimpNugget

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:11 PM

Those are still renditions, not photos of the actual creature.
And actually MIMP are really close to those pics.
I guess I don't really understand your beef with MIMP?
Is it that MIMP didn't steal, barrow, use someone elses imaginary work to exacting detail?

I know what wrestlers from the 80's look like
http://www.google.com/search?q=wwf+wrestlers+of+the+80's&hl=en&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS392US393&biw=1920&bih=817&site=webhp&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=lF6rTqyYI8fegQf-rbTvDw&ved=0CE8QsAQ

I know what a stone arch looks like
http://www.google.com/search?q=wwf+wrestlers+of+the+80's&hl=en&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS392US393&biw=1920&bih=817&site=webhp&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=lF6rTqyYI8fegQf-rbTvDw&ved=0CE8QsAQ#hl=en&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS392US393&site=webhp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=stone+arch&oq=stone+arch&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=1&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=60481l64880l0l66378l14l12l0l1l1l0l297l1980l0.7.4l11l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=5b2fc0e0e62d4b24&biw=1920&bih=778

I know what a pyramid looks like
http://www.google.com/search?q=wwf+wrestlers+of+the+80's&hl=en&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS392US393&biw=1920&bih=817&site=webhp&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=lF6rTqyYI8fegQf-rbTvDw&ved=0CE8QsAQ#hl=en&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS392US393&site=webhp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=pyramid&oq=pyramid&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=1&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=45442l49623l0l51168l7l7l0l1l1l0l203l875l0.4.2l6l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=5b2fc0e0e62d4b24&biw=1920&bih=778

#25 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:15 PM

Okay, compare that ancient Greek depiction of a Hydra (you know, ana ncient Greek monster) to the feathered peacock- MIMP, shall we? or hey, how about a tengu? Look one up. Shouldn't take you long.

Now, to put your "But they're not WWF wrestlers" thing to rest, MUSCLE is based on Kinnikuman, a series from Japan. And what do things look like in Kinnikuman? Sunshine, the brick dude, formed that exact stone arch. Compare the MUSCLE to this:

http://www.mangafox....v15/c005/7.html
http://www.mangafox....v15/c005/1.html
And as for some others?
http://www.mangafox....v15/c004/2.html

You lose. Good day, Sir.

Edited by Ridureyu, 28 October 2011 - 06:21 PM.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com