12 replies to this topic

#1 Psycrowe

Psycrowe

Is back

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:40 PM

Hey guys, it's been a while :3. I've been busy with various in progress works, which hasn't left me much art time to do any new Battle Beast stuff (excluding what I owe X3)

I dusted this one off to include in the list of works-in-progress I'm determined to finish and opened the file up to see just how much I had left to do. So with some Dragonforce blasting in my ears, I started tinkering with it again. Next thing I know, the inking is done. o.o
Color comes next!

Kinda hard to believe it's nearly been a year since I last touched it o_o;. But I did have some issues with it in the beginning, which is the reason it took me so long XD. The main reason was, I had just got my tablet and the armor was a bee-eye-itch and a half to ink. I can now handle the stylus much better, so the straight lines aren't that much of an issue. I had also received crit' that the Mantis's head was too small, but I tried.. I really did..to make it larger and.. it just ended up looking silly, so I gave up :(

Anyhoo, this pic is inspired off a picture posted on here, a while back, of a real Mantis taking down a Hummingbird. Merciless Mantis is a custom of El Diablo's, and the Hummingbird is my design.

Mantis vs Hummer

When this is done I'll be selling prints of it, to anyone interested. Gotta save up some $$ for February, as I'll be heading to Katsucon. Not sure if any of you are familiar with that con or not. It'll be my first one, so I'm not 100% sure what to expect XD.

~Adelle Crowe.

#2 BB Boy

BB Boy

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:50 PM

that is the coolest art :lol:

#3 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:55 PM

Adelle! You kick arse everytime you post something! :lol: B) :fop:

I can't wait to see it colored!!!! Now you make me regret selling the Mantis. <_<

WhiteLeo

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#4 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:15 PM

Very crisp art style and a drawing of beast in combat no less!

Thats about as impressive as your avatar.....

Yet a 3rd reason why the word "Hummer" is cool :lol:
Divide & conquer works because of attachments people make to push-button issues, individual "leaders," parties, clans, tribes, policies, or agendas, leaving them open to manipulation.

#5 grimerslimer

grimerslimer

Crazy Bugger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:59 PM

I think the Mantis' head is great! :lol: Are you planning to do pencils to color this also, or are you going the digital route?

Outstanding job as usual, by the way!

grimey
Check out Paranormal Misadventures on Youtube

#6 lazzy lizard

lazzy lizard

fiznucking chillin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Interests:love to collect all sorts of stuff mainly star wars(new & old), motu (new & old), glyos, beastformers, godzilla, and some 80's cartoons and tv show characters. love making customs too!

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:04 AM

i was wondering when you were gonna get a chance to finish this bad boy up! nice work as always adelle, looking forward to the finished product.

=)
AIN'T NO PARTY LIKE A BATTLE BEASTS PARTY CAUSE A BATTLE BEAST PARTY DON'T STOP!!!

VISIT MY CUSTOMS GALLERY>> http://www.littlerub...showtopic=17082

#7 MAXX

MAXX

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:17 AM

Very nice work. Clean work except on some points (i think).
I am not sure if i see wrong or it is done on purpose, maybe the mantis is transparent... don't know.
The bodyarmorline which comes from the left shoulder (our point of view) and goes slightly to the right, runs through the claws of the mantis.
And on the feeling things sections are overlapping. These kind of "mistakes" happen to me only if i use the pathtool for inking...

The head is fine i think... it's still fantasy. If you think of a real mantis it isn't enough shaped like a triangle...

The scene is well done, i like the foot of the bird that is clawing his toes, nice touch. It gives the image motion.

What i don't like on some battlebeasts are the plates with the signs that are attached to important moving parts such as wings, on the bat is it as well. For me it isn't a good idea, they could have easily attached it somewhere on the armor. Even if it is fantasy, some things just don't work for me and make no sense :lol:

Sorry for all the bla bla nice work. And have fun at the con
I am open for commissions of almost any kind.

#8 AbLivAspade

AbLivAspade

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:16 AM

ive never seen your art before man, but that shizznit is sick. hope it brings you as much pleasure to create as it is for us to look at.

#9 transformersontheshelf

transformersontheshelf

The Toy Store Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Interests:Toys and Games of all sorts!

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:16 AM

i've always liked praying mantis, i even had several as pets when i lived in NM. Awesome work :lol:

#10 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:53 AM

That hummingbird kicks al sorts of arse! Nice job. Let's see it colored!

#11 Omega

Omega

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:23 PM

Nice work! I especially like the Hummingbird's weapon.

Mark

#12 pooyabee

pooyabee

Wooly Mastodon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:00 PM

Like I told you in my PM just before you posted this thread. Handsdown this is my favorite beast art ever done!!!!! :w00t:
Posted Image

#13 Psycrowe

Psycrowe

Is back

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:02 PM

Xigbar is heartless love XD </kingdom hearts 2 joke>

Wah, sorry all, I've kinda gone antisocial again D:. Much thanks for the comments and crits, though. They're always appreciated!

Maxx: The lineart was originally drawn with the pentool, before I could weild my stylus good enough. The redo involved going over all the lines again, to smooth them out. I did miss some spots though D:
I'm couldn't find what you're talking about with the armor (or maybe i'm not understanding what you mean?), though o.o
Might be an issue color will clarify, though? ^^;

Speaking of that, it's almost done. I haven't arted for a while thanks to some 'stuff', but once the 'dreaded' background is done, it will finally be complete.

~Adelle Crowe.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com