Theme© by Fisana

Photo

Kind of a bit disappointed with Beast Saga, are you?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: Kind of a bit disappointed with Beast Saga, are you? (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you disappointed with the Beast Saga figures?

1. Yes (3 votes [8.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

2. No (25 votes [67.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 67.57%

3. A little bit (9 votes [24.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.32%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 FANtomCore

FANtomCore

FANtom-2-da-Core/Conceptor/Scanner/Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, SD Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, God Beasts, War Monsters, Beast Saga, Battle Beasts Minimates, Armorvors, Rise of the Beasts / MUSCLE, Ultimate Muscle, Kinnikuman.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

I received my order today, got everything. As I was opening up my lion figure out of the package, I notice the rubber was rather soft, too soft in my opinion, to the point of being flimsy, particularly the weapons. The rubber hardness or rather lack there of is nothing like Battle Beasts. It just seems too rubbery. Also the way the shields are placed is bizarre, why they couldn't spend more time on the handle part of the shields by arcing them so that the figures would hold them properly is beyond me. Also they put the animal symbol on the back part of the dice launcher, when they should of just put it on the front part, that way when it's pushed in without a dice, it still looks like a complete figure with the appearance on it's dice in place. Would of made displaying easier. To me after handling the figures first hand, I'm a bit disappointed. I feel that this spiritual successor line, isn't really a successor. I feel Battle Beasts/Laser Beasts are still better and did not get surpassed. I have to say that Armorvors are looking a bit more appealing to me now, since I rather enjoyed that figure and it seems to be headed towards the right direction.

What do you guys think, I'm sure you guys like the new Beast Saga stuff, I do somewhat just not as much as I thought I would, but do you really think its better that the originals?
What I like to collect (click below)
Spoiler
"Every passion borders on the chaotic, but the collector's passion borders on the chaos of memories."
-Walter Benjamin

All toys came from the original One Toy :p

#2 b00sted

b00sted

The b00sted One!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Interests:Mega Bloks
    Battle Beasts
    Battlefield Heroes
    Android Modding

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

I have yet to get the actual figures in my hands yet but so far
1. Armorvors
2. DST
3. Beast Saga

The Armorvors are amazing I have yet to find a flaw other than they are a pain in the ass to get ahold of unless you drop 160$ on a resin one with TGB but It has a shit ton of articulation and can customize it to whatever you want. DST is #2 as pretty much fits in with armorvor's but it is a minimate and still not a fan of that.. it gives it good customization and articulation but some parts just look clunky as for the weapons I dont think my vorin's sword will ever be flat so the beast saga weapons have a 1 up on that. #3 is the Beast saga for the fact it has the huge ass dice shooter in the chest and not so much on the articulation. The head sculpts are to die for which makes me wish they were pegged so I could use them on Armorvors..

EDIT: I forgot to add I have yet to see a pic of the Beast saga lion that is not Derpy so that is a lil disappointing as well..

Edited by b00sted, 19 September 2012 - 07:15 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Coelocanth

Coelocanth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

I think it's probably impossible for anything with this much excitement and expectation to fulfill all expectations. Give it a day or two longer - see if your opinion changes.

#4 FANtomCore

FANtomCore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, SD Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, God Beasts, War Monsters, Beast Saga, Battle Beasts Minimates, Armorvors, Rise of the Beasts / MUSCLE, Ultimate Muscle, Kinnikuman.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

I think it's probably impossible for anything with this much excitement and expectation to fulfill all expectations. Give it a day or two longer - see if your opinion changes.

The things BS has going for it is the sculpts and artwork but a day or two isn't going to change my opinion about the quality of the toys, especially when I got all that is currently available in the lineup. I bolded the production and design flaws in my statement above. The flaws show cheaper quality plastic and poor decision making. I went from giving BS an expected A, to a C. Perhaps things will get improved with the next batch of figures released. They did improve Battle Beasts' quality after series 1 so it can happen with BS I hope.
Spoiler
"Every passion borders on the chaotic, but the collector's passion borders on the chaos of memories."
-Walter Benjamin

#5 adam16bit

adam16bit

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Laser Beasts. Battle Beasts. Beast Saga. OMFG.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

I second/third/whatever that the Kingdom of Sea Death 3-pack or whatever it's called with the Shark/Coelacanth/Piranha is the winner of the launch batch. It's just so nice and weird and has more going for it than the rest. (Well, OK, maybe not the sailfish. Because those goggles are AWESOME.)

I'm not giddy for Beast Saga now that they're here. The various Minimates crocs? Giddy. Vorin? Giddy. Armorvor? Giddy. Heck, even the red redeco of the Gator which I (over)paid for was an exciting trip to the mailbox. He's great! Raioga? Not great.

I could be wrong, but I think a big part of it is the eyes. DST and the original line had these colorful robotic eyes that really gave the figure a nice, bizarre quality. As much as I like the new Big Serow for what it is... it still looks like a taxidermy deer head on an SD Gundam. The leg articulation doesn't seem to add much, I was hoping their legs could swing forward to fit in other small toy vehicles and it turns out the legs only move back on most figures. There's certainly a lack of the fantastical and weird here that we got in the vintage line with drill arms and strangely-colored animals.

With stuff like "Admiral Turtle," an Orca, a whale, and that swell walrus I'm still on board for Beast Saga but not in a "collect every last promo/exclusuive" capacity. If DST comes through with some of their funky designs like that Maori Shark and TRU barbarian Moose, their line is where I'm probably gonna get more excited.

...or whoever gets to dinosaurs first, that'll be good. And like FANtomCore... I don't get the shields. Other than adding to the cost of the figures they don't seem to do it for me.

I just love the fact that I'm so spoiled right now that we got, what, I guess 4 beast toy lines to choose from? It's a great time to be a spoiled man-child. Bring on the Minimates, I needs my Gruntos.

--Adam Pawlus
16bit.com and elsewhere

#6 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:59 AM

Due to some circumstances I still haven't got any BS fig in hand but based on the replies and pics from other LRG members and other info out on the web I've decided to vote: A Little Bit.

Why?
Because its impossible for any company to fulfil 25 years of expectations and for most diehard BB collectors the original line will always be the best due to design and nostalgia.

And beside those IMHO the main reasons I think we should also not forget that we are 25 years further with production which means that the Japanese quality design of the original line has become a little less important in favor of a larger, quicker, cheaper production!? Issues we can see in details such as the choice of material, position of the shield, plunger symbol which all somehow influence our view on them. And compared to the well detailled and good designed original line these are 'negative' points.

Than another thing we should not underestimate is the game idea around them which has showed to be a big issue. And maybe we can or should even say Beast Saga is a new game (like Beyblade, Yu Gi Oh or other similar lines). These series were all really succesfull in Japan as the story/manga around them was based on the battle game in which the beasts or bladers where used as story within the story. So I really wouldn't be surprised to see the first anime or series that show up containing the same idea in which the game itself of young children battling against each other with huge monsters is the main idea. For me that's still the only way I can think of validating the big presence of the plunger. In this situation the Beast Saga is not a new figure line but the figures are part of the Beast Saga game.......

I agree with most of you that the design of some figures is so so while others just look cool so I'll probably pick out the ones I like to collect instead of going all the way. But still that might change as soon as I hold them.

In the end I think as collectors we underestimate the game element which for us looks like just an addition but I think for Takara it has been the main element within this line which is quite a different perspective looking at the figs.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#7 Onyxiaphil

Onyxiaphil

Starcaller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:Transformers
    Battle Beasts
    Armorvors
    Nintendo
    Everything custom
    Poutine & Bacon

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:39 AM

After getting the promo figure in hand a few weeks ago, the launcher is my biggest issue with these. I canceled my preorders. Like GJNL, I will only pick up a few favorites.

They are cool figures for sure. Like some of you have said, some sculpts look great and others not so much.
I put my expectations too high for these which is the reason I am a little bit disappointed.

Although, after seeing PlasticSoul post that picture of the armorvor head and torso with BS arms and legs, that may be the turning point for me in buying a whole bunch of these. Especially Eagles :)

#8 b00sted

b00sted

The b00sted One!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Interests:Mega Bloks
    Battle Beasts
    Battlefield Heroes
    Android Modding

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:03 AM

I was the same way with the pre orders and pretty glad too as I was in for about 650$ worth which now I would of been kicking myself for but just picked up some that I liked.
Posted Image

#9 Venom

Venom

LaserBeast Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

I had to cancel my order, I ran out of funds, they look awesome wish I had some.....
Do not be afraid. If they try to harm you, I will stand in front of them.

#10 saleen123456

saleen123456

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:52 AM

I have sold over 1000 figures in the last week and have to say that it has been the biggest hit in my store in the last 10 years, no complaints from this end in the demand for product.

I do however wish they were slightly more hard, less rubbery and had tighter joints.

#11 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:38 PM

The figures are nearly all sold out in Japan so success seems to be worldwide. The japanese stores will get more stock today or tomorrow and we will see if those will last long before being sold out again. I'm pretty sure that Hasbro is now looking closely at the line and if christmas sales confirm the Beast Saga hit then I'm pretty sure that the worldwide release will be scheduled for later next year. I won't be surprised if Beast Saga figures will be displayed at Hasbro's booth during Toy Fair 2013.

#12 FANtomCore

FANtomCore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

The figures are nearly all sold out in Japan so success seems to be worldwide. The japanese stores will get more stock today or tomorrow and we will see if those will last long before being sold out again. I'm pretty sure that Hasbro is now looking closely at the line and if christmas sales confirm the Beast Saga hit then I'm pretty sure that the worldwide release will be scheduled for later next year. I won't be surprised if Beast Saga figures will be displayed at Hasbro's booth during Toy Fair 2013.

Let's hope that Hasbro pulls a "Muscle" and we get harder plastic versions in the state.
Spoiler
-Walter Benjamin

#13 iwao

iwao

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1481 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

Also they put the animal symbol on the back part of the dice launcher, when they should of just put it on the front part, that way when it's pushed in without a dice, it still looks like a complete figure with the appearance on it's dice in place. Would of made displaying easier.

I prefer the color of the dice in the chest on the front of the figure, but I wish the plunger was hollow for the dice to be stored inside the figures with the plunger pushed in. I know this would make no sense for the game and would make the plunger more fragile though.

I'm sure the reason they didn't go with the plunger reversed the way you would like it is it looks cooler to play the game with the dice shooting out of the chests instead of the back.

I agree that I wish the rubber wasn't so soft, the shields are a little pointless, and the game aspect doesn't do much for me although I might get into playing the game with my kids if I figure it out.

#14 Skullking

Skullking

I have a large obsession with small figures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:MUSCLE, Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, MIMP, Armorvors, Mordles

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:54 AM

I agree that the weapon flimseyness, and no symbol on the front of the dice shooter are regrettable. But the beasts themselves are excellent! I am really enjoying them!

#15 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

After having ventilated my thoughts on the DST line in the other topic its time to update my thoughts on the BS line as well.

By now I'd wish I could've erased my first vote in this topic, which was A LITTLE BIT, because with the recent releases of figures that include the female panther, orca, parrot, owl I think a YES by now would be more in place.

They started of well with some great sculpts (Shark, Falcon, Crocodile) and some hillarious (Marlin, Turtle, Pigeon) ones but now they're slowly loosing it in my opinion and although I'm still up to date when it comes to all the figures so far I think this Nov. release line might be my final one. I know there are still some nice figures ahead like the Manta ray like figure but beside that there's also this easter bunny type of figure comming......... and sculpts like these aren't really doing anything good for my feeling with this line.

I've been able to accept the previous issues like dice shooter and the missing symbol on it, the material used, etc. because in the end its all about the sculpts. In which the good ones still had the upperhand so far but it looks like it soon might be time to get back into my '80s cave again enjoying and 'honering' the BB even more because they won the Battle from BS and DST!

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#16 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

I just bought a random booster from Fantastic Plastic toys. $9 shipped to Canada.

No idea if that is a good price. I also think it is a clear, which I am unsure if I am partial to or not. I'm very narrow-minded but I feel I should give these guys a shot. Worst case scenario? My four year-old has a new toy.
<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#17 Undrave

Undrave

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

I'm not dissapointed at all. Sure it would be super special amazing if it was the same thing we got as kids, with the big feet and the drill arms and rubsigns, but that's just not how the market works these days. Sure the weapons could be sturdier and the shield could be useful, but those feel like simple afterthoughts compared to the beautiful sculpt of the beasts themselves (none of the cards show the beast saga guys using actual weapons!). At least they look like actual weapons, unlike the weird geometrical shapes the Battle Beasts had. I lost almost all of my weirdly shaped original BB weapons.

Did you know the Battle Beast and Beast Saga weapons are cross compatible?

anyway, I'm totally still on board for more of these guys :D

#18 countzackula

countzackula

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

I've been trying my damnedest not to look into these too heavily...avoiding trying not to look up info on 'em or anything like that. I've been trying to hold out until the 2013 Toy Fair to see if these toys will get released in the Americas or not (by Hasbro, assumedly). I actually gave in a bit and started trying to shop around in case we don't get 'em here in the U.S.

February can't come fast enough! I'll admit that reading up on other folks' reviews and opinions kinda confirmed some of my fears, but all in all, I do want to collect this line. I'd just rather try to wait it out in hopes these might be a tad cheaper with a domestic release. However, with toy prices these days...might not even be that big of a difference if I get 'em imported or not.

#19 cowbattlebeast

cowbattlebeast

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

This may seem greedy, but I hope the BS line never sees a U.S. release. I'm a new toy collector and am totally digging this imported feel. I feel it's the same as when you start listening to some obscure band, then all of a sudden they come out on mainstream radio. The next thing you know, everybody likes them and I soon lose interest in them.

#20 Undrave

Undrave

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

I've been trying my damnedest not to look into these too heavily...avoiding trying not to look up info on 'em or anything like that. I've been trying to hold out until the 2013 Toy Fair to see if these toys will get released in the Americas or not (by Hasbro, assumedly). I actually gave in a bit and started trying to shop around in case we don't get 'em here in the U.S.

February can't come fast enough! I'll admit that reading up on other folks' reviews and opinions kinda confirmed some of my fears, but all in all, I do want to collect this line. I'd just rather try to wait it out in hopes these might be a tad cheaper with a domestic release. However, with toy prices these days...might not even be that big of a difference if I get 'em imported or not.

You could always grab a single to see what you think of them. In any case we don't know what the quality will be if Hasbro picks them up. Who knows if they will keep the detailed paintwork on the head sculpts. Maybe Tomy will want to release them worldwide themselves (I've seen some Tomica stuff in Toys 'R' Us last time I was there with the 'TOMY' logo on them, I think it's an international branch based off the UK).

Off course it's also possible that Hasbro WILL release them in the US, for cheaper and I'll be kicking myself for spending something like 200$ on imported rubber dudes. Then again considering the HORRIBLE job Hasbro's been doing with Transformers distribution in Canada...

This may seem greedy, but I hope the BS line never sees a U.S. release. I'm a new toy collector and am totally digging this imported feel. I feel it's the same as when you start listening to some obscure band, then all of a sudden they come out on mainstream radio. The next thing you know, everybody likes them and I soon lose interest in them.

That's what they call being a hipster :p

#21 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

Newjacks trolling newjacks.
I can't wait to see how this plays out.

#22 cowbattlebeast

cowbattlebeast

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

You could always grab a single to see what you think of them. In any case we don't know what the quality will be if Hasbro picks them up. Who knows if they will keep the detailed paintwork on the head sculpts. Maybe Tomy will want to release them worldwide themselves (I've seen some Tomica stuff in Toys 'R' Us last time I was there with the 'TOMY' logo on them, I think it's an international branch based off the UK).

Off course it's also possible that Hasbro WILL release them in the US, for cheaper and I'll be kicking myself for spending something like 200$ on imported rubber dudes. Then again considering the HORRIBLE job Hasbro's been doing with Transformers distribution in Canada...

That's what they call being a hipster :p

Looks like that Cuttlefish dink has some new competition for the official forum troll position.

#23 Undrave

Undrave

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

He can keep his position.

I will admit that, if Beast Saga makes it on this side of the pacific, I will enjoy saying I collected from the begining when it was exclusive to Japan :p I think this is the first time I'm really getting in on the ground floor of a toy line like this. I preordered stuff from the first wave when all we had were grainy pictures and that one Takara commercial. It feels like something really special.

#24 eaglekiller

eaglekiller

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

I voted no. However, I just wish I knew the rules to the game (in English). :confused:

#25 Undrave

Undrave

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

I voted no. However, I just wish I knew the rules to the game (in English). :confused:

It's fairly easy really. Each player has three Beasts with their own unique dice and starts the game with a number of Magic dice equal to the total Magiclot score of all three beasts. Attacker picks a Beast to attack with, defender picks someone to do battle with it. You roll the unique dice of the beasts, the Battlelot dice, then whoever scored lowest get to decide if they will roll a Magiclot dice, then they roll it, the other player gets to roll magiclot, you resolve and whoever has the highest total wins. Loser gets discarded. Magiclot dice can only be used once and also get discarded. That's the basic principle of it.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com