67 replies to this topic

#1 DSTZach

DSTZach

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

Hey, guys, I just posted all the TRU Beasts on BattleBeast.com. Packaged pics soon!

http://www.battlebeast.com/?p=1266

Vorin vs. Scorpus
Posted Image
Merk vs. Spidron
Posted Image
Gruntos vs. Scalpus
Posted Image
Antalor vs. Nychirix
Posted Image

#2 ComradeCuttlefish

ComradeCuttlefish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hmmm...

Maybe when these are all still left on the shelves and clearanced soon I will pick some up to donate to Toys for Tots. They might appreciate them, because they never knew what the real Battle Beasts were.

#3 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

Hmmm...

Maybe when these are all still left on the shelves and clearanced soon I will pick some up to donate to Toys for Tots. They might appreciate them, because they never knew what the real Battle Beasts were.

Comrade, your hate for DST is legendary. I absolutely love reading posts about DST "battle beasts" and waiting for your response. This is both serious and not sarcastic.
<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#4 b00sted

b00sted

The b00sted One!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Interests:Mega Bloks
    Battle Beasts
    Battlefield Heroes
    Android Modding

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:27 AM

some people here still can be morons with their close mindedness on things, it would make me really hate to know their views on other things in life.. anyways..

I am really looking forward to see the actual paint apps on these guys and packaging. my only 2 small gripes is you guys killed off the minimate hands on some but not all, and other is you killed off the boxy of the minimate on some but not all. wish kinda would of stuck with the (all part).

I think that is why I like Gruntos so much he is like a reincarnation of the gator in walrus form. perfect example of minimate in battle beast style.
Posted Image

#5 Coelocanth

Coelocanth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

my only 2 small gripes is you guys killed off the minimate hands on some but not all, and other is you killed off the boxy of the minimate on some but not all. wish kinda would of stuck with the (all part).

For me these aren't small gripes. The design inconsistencies paired with the obvious limitation of the Minimates format creates some very odd looking figures in places. On a lot of them, the width of the lower leg sculpts vs. the width of the hip frame element creates a bow-legged and unstable look that works against the noble or imposing feel the characters are supposed to have.

Whether or not you agree with what Minimates did with the brand name, these issues are really apparent in the toys.

#6 DSTZach

DSTZach

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

For me these aren't small gripes. The design inconsistencies paired with the obvious limitation of the Minimates format creates some very odd looking figures in places. On a lot of them, the width of the lower leg sculpts vs. the width of the hip frame element creates a bow-legged and unstable look that works against the noble or imposing feel the characters are supposed to have.

Whether or not you agree with what Minimates did with the brand name, these issues are really apparent in the toys.

They're only issues if you choose to see them as issues. The original Battle Beasts all have a big square in the center of their chests. All of my rubsigns fell off. Everybody is a two-legged, two-armed creature, regardless of species. Many are bowlegged. Some look like they're squatting. We don't see these as issues because we've lived with them for years, in some cases since we were seven or eight.

A standardized sub-body allows for a lot of interchangeability and customizability and allows us to modify the outer form at will. The square body is what we've been using for ten years, so it didn't make sense to limit customizability by creating a new body with less square legs. We often use thigh covers for bigger characters, so they can be found readily if anybody needs to hide their shame. And Minimate hands are much less noticeably round when you put weapons in them.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by DSTZach, 21 November 2012 - 11:10 AM.

#7 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Don't start comparing them to 'issues' of the orginal line yourself now because we all know that's a battle you cannot win since DST already lost it. Even Takara is not getting close to that with their new line so the only way these lines will become succesful is when they'll succeed as independent line because every reference to the original line will show the weakness of these new lines.

DST gave it a shot and so did Takara again with the BS line but comparing both of them to the designs of the 26 year old Battle Beasts is only showing how far ahead these original figures were because in my opinion even today they would still beat both lines easily.

Is it just me or does it look like some figures have been updated or changed again as I can remember myself showing interest in the DST Falcon figure before but there's not much left of that seeing this picture.

Instead of riding a high wave on the succes of the Battle Beasts name gaining the rights of it DST has positioned itself in wearing a way to big coat that doesn't fit and in which they are struggling to make it look sort of acceptable. Your strenght has become your weakness.....

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#8 b00sted

b00sted

The b00sted One!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
    Battle Beasts
    Battlefield Heroes
    Android Modding

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

I think you just need to actually get the figures in hand before making your judgement on them. Cause Honestly Some of the beast Saga figures look completely pinheaded IMO also. it all comes down to personal preference though.

Sorry the only Vorin I had around atm was a custom but..

Posted Image

Edited by b00sted, 21 November 2012 - 11:46 AM.

Posted Image

#9 DSTZach

DSTZach

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

Don't start comparing them to 'issues' of the orginal line yourself now because we all know that's a battle you cannot win since DST already lost it. Even Takara is not getting close to that with their new line so the only way these lines will become succesful is when they'll succeed as independent line because every reference to the original line will show the weakness of these new lines.

DST gave it a shot and so did Takara again with the BS line but comparing both of them to the designs of the 26 year old Battle Beasts is only showing how far ahead these original figures were because in my opinion even today they would still beat both lines easily.

Is it just me or does it look like some figures have been updated or changed again as I can remember myself showing interest in the DST Falcon figure before but there's not much left of that seeing this picture.

Instead of riding a high wave on the succes of the Battle Beasts name gaining the rights of it DST has positioned itself in wearing a way to big coat that doesn't fit and in which they are struggling to make it look sort of acceptable. Your strenght has become your weakness.....

Only used the original BB as an example, because it's a line we all know well -- c'mon, look where we are -- but I can see how that could be taken the wrong way. The originals are great toys, ahead of their time, I would never part with my collection, etc. But this line is NOT the original Battle Beasts, so they are not going to have the same strengths and weaknesses. Some seem to be looking only at the strengths of the original line when comparing the two, and not the weaknesses, while our line gets the exact opposite. Just hoping for a fair shake, since I think the line can be enjoyed by fans of BB, BS and others.

And the first post shows paint masters for TRU, which are slightly different from the specialty assortment. Merk's vest is a brighter blue, for one. The last post I posted showed early paint samples. Some apps are missing, some are I think incorrect, but I had more accessories and wanted to pose them better. So neither is final, I'm just sharing what I have with you guys as I go. If you're not interested, it's cool, just keep in mind this thread is going to be about stuff you're not interested in, and try not to spoil it for those who are.

#10 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

Personally, I'm not a fan of these figures. I don't like the way they've combined realistic looking figures with blocks. It looks odd and unnatural. I would probably buy this entire series if they looked realistic from top to bottom. On that note, I also realize that the blocky-ness is the DST signature, and your brand would be lost if you didn't do that.

Not trying to be offensive, just trying to offer constructive criticism.
<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#11 Coelocanth

Coelocanth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

I don't think anyone (other than maybe Cuttlefish) is trying to attack you here, but the previous comparison to the BB/BS lines was ill placed. When you talk about rubs & launchers, you're comparing design decisions to design compromises. You even mention compromising by hiding the wonky hands with weapons. And lots of other bits look that way, even in these new pictures (like the disappearing pelvis on the Walrus for example or the figures that look like they're falling over).

And I don't think there's anything wrong with critiquing the line. Especially when it's BB fans doing that critiquing as I imagine that's an audience this line hopes to capture.

#12 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

I think you just need to actually get the figures in hand before making your judgement on them. Cause Honestly Some of the beast Saga figures look completely pinheaded IMO also. it all comes down to personal preference though.

Sorry the only Vorin I had around atm was a custom but..

Posted Image

That ram is kick ass. Looks like a Koppenchevelle paint job?

New figures look great Zach! Well, the moose is kind of funky, but hey, the walrus and scorpion more than make up for that. :lol:

Can't beat that price, either!

#13 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

To be doubly fair I actually don't like the new Beast Sagas at all. I think the giant square dice launcher in their chests makes them look ridiculous. The rubsigns on the originals add to the design without making them look blocky and weird. But again, this is just my opinion.

When I look at something like this, I want to feel like it could actually exist if it was real. I don't feel like the new Beast Saga line or the DST line fit the bill in this case. So I will likely be avoiding both lines, sadly.
<p> </p>
<p>

#14 cowbattlebeast

cowbattlebeast

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

The moose is a must get for me. I hope it's final paint scheme is the green armor that we first saw many months ago. The tarantula is also seriously bad ass looking. I hope this line does well and they make more from the comics. I'm loving Beast Saga, but some of the characters are a total waste. The hamster, the lioness, the white kitty cat, even the swordfish is pretty horrible looking.

#15 DSTZach

DSTZach

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

Personally, I'm not a fan of these figures. I don't like the way they've combined realistic looking figures with blocks. It looks odd and unnatural. I would probably buy this entire series if they looked realistic from top to bottom. On that note, I also realize that the blocky-ness is the DST signature, and your brand would be lost if you didn't do that.

Not trying to be offensive, just trying to offer constructive criticism.

No offense taken, really. But blockiness is the Minimates signature, not the DST one -- we do plenty of fully sculpted figures, and may eventually try something like that with BB. But Minimates are what they are because they do what they do at the price that they do it at.

#16 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

BTW Zach, thanks again for coming around. It's nice to have a rep from the actual company visit and pay attention to our praise and gripes. We certainly don't get that with Takara, Hasbro or Jakks.

#17 DSTZach

DSTZach

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

I don't think anyone (other than maybe Cuttlefish) is trying to attack you here, but the previous comparison to the BB/BS lines was ill placed. When you talk about rubs & launchers, you're comparing design decisions to design compromises. You even mention compromising by hiding the wonky hands with weapons. And lots of other bits look that way, even in these new pictures (like the disappearing pelvis on the Walrus for example or the figures that look like they're falling over).

And I don't think there's anything wrong with critiquing the line. Especially when it's BB fans doing that critiquing as I imagine that's an audience this line hopes to capture.

Minimates ARE a design decision. We decided to use an interchangeable, fun play system as the basis of this line. It was a challenge, and I think we will improve with Series 2, but I wouldn't say we compromised -- the Minimate body has benefits that may not be exactly clear to non-fans yet. And I don't think the Minimate hands are wonky at all. I was just telling somebody who didn't like them that they won't notice in the heat of battle. Not compromising, just making an observation.

The Gruntos I shot is actually missing a piece -- I had a bag of samples, and sometimes they short me a piece or two. I think I'm going to delete that one, actually, since I didn't realize how incomplete it was.

Critiquing is fine. That's not the only thing people are doing, though. And I don't think we're trying to capture the BB collector market -- an elite but fairly limited audience -- so much as the people who kinda-sorta remember BB, and kids who might have bought BB had they been born in 1979.

The moose is a must get for me. I hope it's final paint scheme is the green armor that we first saw many months ago. The tarantula is also seriously bad ass looking. I hope this line does well and they make more from the comics.

Only one moose, and you're looking at it. Not sure when there was green armor, sorry.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by DSTZach, 21 November 2012 - 12:49 PM.

#18 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

No offense taken, really. But blockiness is the Minimates signature, not the DST one -- we do plenty of fully sculpted figures, and may eventually try something like that with BB. But Minimates are what they are because they do what they do at the price that they do it at.

Well if you ever fully sculpt these models I'll definitely be on board. My kid and I love monsters so this would be a great addition to the toy box. I'll keep my eyes open.

Edit: My kid loves mix and matching her legos and bionicles, so I think you just gained a customer. And here I thought I was going to escape this line up. :p

Double edit: How big are these things? I can't find measurements it seems.

Edited by Draznar, 21 November 2012 - 12:57 PM.

<p> </p>
<p>

#19 b00sted

b00sted

The b00sted One!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
    Battle Beasts
    Battlefield Heroes
    Android Modding

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

yay for my desk being full of trinkets.. they are about 3 inches..

sorry for the poor cell pic
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 b00sted

b00sted

The b00sted One!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
    Battle Beasts
    Battlefield Heroes
    Android Modding

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

the minimate guys are pretty awesome and honestly if you dont like the minimate part of the body if you are a fan a the Glyos grab up the guys for the awesome head scupts alone :)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#21 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

Just to clearify I'm not trying to belittle this line as I think there is quite a big step taken during the design process but when it comes to their relation to the original BB line you can for sure expect some critiques from my side and this does not only apply to the DST figs but also to the new BS line. Both have started of as a new release of the BB line which made them one step ahead already on a board like this in which most vintage collectors add a lot of value to the nostalgic behind it. But outside that and as mentioned before the original designs in all their 'simplicity' just kick ass while these new lines try to trigger a lot of that with more detailled sculpts the result is the opposite in my opinion. Someone once told; Less is more...... Think the original Battle Beasts line has showed that better than we would expect.

Working in such a detail gains you lot of possibilities but it also brings a lot of difficulties which are hard to overcome when its done wrong, but in the end its all a matter of design and design is a matter of taste and I'm just one of those BB fans that honor the simplicity in a great way of the Battle Beasts.

So I'd like to close the discussion and or comparison of both the DST and BS line in relation the original BB because its not fair for these new lines. Alhough some design teams really should look at their way of working/sculpting as it looks like there unable to beat 26 year old designs.

In my opinion DST has a more fantasy like approach and somehow does think outside the box stepping over the 2 leg rule which is a good thing but there still a lot of variety within the sculpts themselves eventhough they start from the same base. So to me from the outside it looks like there's not a lot of coherence amongst the different sculpts. As some explicitly tend to step away (cover up) the minimate base while for others its something uncovered as if they plan to show it. But stepping away from the Battle Beasts references, although its hard as they have their name, I think in the end DST did a reasonable job.

When it comes to TOMY/Takara and their BS line I think there are some things to mention as well looking at the recent releases....... as before some figures were called hillarious as in fun looking but I tend to start using ridiculous and that's not only because of their dices as that's a point we've passed.

@DSTZach I'm glad you around as it gives us some interesting insights in this line so I hope you stay on the right track now to prevent us from being confronted with some Zik's (or what was the dragonfly thing called) in the future because I still sleep bad about it ;)

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#22 DSTZach

DSTZach

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

Sorry Zik caused you to lose sleep. Having him in a pack with Vorin helped to sell the concept, but I realize it didn't give you guys a lot of faith in the product. Hopefully when our first series hits, one of you will report back to the others how great they are.

#23 SaltLakeToyJunkee

SaltLakeToyJunkee

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

These things are effing wack!! Take that for a report. And no, there were not any spam bots taking over my account.

#24 salazar4id

salazar4id

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Around for any RARE Laser Beasts.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

If those updates are accurate I think this line will do fine.
A few reason a few of us are looking for a new replacement for battle beasts is due to the fact some collectors want to keep the prices high, and make full collections rare (especially Laser Beasts).
Minimates and the freakin sweet completely interchangeable Armorvors from Glyos are a great new design IMO and I'm glad the toy manufactures are around the community to hear what we have to say, shows they are passionate about there designs.
Thanks for he great ideas and Kickass toys. I hope you never quite sculpting.
Especially Armorvors....
Manuel

#25 retroactive80z

retroactive80z

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1237 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, Fake Battle Beasts, Custom Battle beasts.
    BATTLE BEASTS ROCK AND SO DO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

Bahaha Salt Lake. The problem here is that there called battle beasts!!
I'm not a fan of them at all in anyway.
I wouldn't have even cared about them but the fact there called Battle Beasts to me it's like putting a Posche car badge on a Scoda!
For anybody who lives in the US or anywhere else a Scoda is a really poo poo car.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com