119 replies to this topic

#26 phantomeye

phantomeye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:29 AM

The Guardsmen were a group of IronMan-esque characters, I don't remember much, but I know they were key players in the Separation Anxiety mini series, where the Life Foundation produced new symbiotes from samples of Venom and Carnage. They used to make occasional appearances in random comic series over the past 20+ years. I think there were a number with different armors, but I believe most looked the same. :(

Thanks for the info, URS.

#27 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:07 AM

When I think of Guardsmen I think of the guards at the Vault, those are the same guys right?

Either way thats why I'm buying them.

#28 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:15 AM

When I think of Guardsmen I think of the guards at the Vault, those are the same guys right?

Either way thats why I'm buying them.

Yeah, the place where they kept the super human prisoners? That's them.

Posted Image

#29 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:24 AM

Man, that Iron Monger is pretty huge...hopefully i see one available for purchase soon. And then hopefully someone is standing in the toy aisle with seven dollars they don't want, and they're like "Hey guy how about i just buy you that Iron Monger". Yeah, that'd be awesome...
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#30 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:03 PM

Alright, so i was in wal-mart today on unrelated business with my brother. I had a t-shirt i was buying, and then i saw Iron Monger. So i decided after some deliberation that i should probably get him. Then i went through the workout gear and saw a doorframe pullup bar that i've been meaning to get, so i put back the shirt and the Iron Monger and got the pullup bar, because it felt like the responsible thing to do. I get it home and it turns out this house is horrible and stupid, because all the doorways were incompatible with it. So i box it up and go to return it, taking along my Movie War Machine because i decided i hate him compared to the comic one.

Iron Monger was gone, as were several other more scarce figures that were there earlier, but at least i got a t-shirt and a Comic War Machine out of the various trips.
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#31 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:31 PM

Too bad about the chin up bar, because I've had one for about a dozen years and love it.
Also, when I was waffling around about getting these Iron Man figs, I'd find the my storeswould sell out of the ones I wanted from one day to the next.
I eventually had to circumnavigate the city, hitting four separate stores, in order to get all the ones I wanted.

#32 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:31 PM

Too bad about the chin up bar, because I've had one for about a dozen years and love it.

Yeah, i've heard nothing but good things. Luckily i'm moving in a couple weeks, i'll just see about it then. In the meantime i just wanted my $20 to go to something i could use. :)

The more i think about this Iron Monger figure, the more i think my 6" one might actually work in a display with these? Does anyone have that setup? Does it look good? My 6" figures are all packed away right now.
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#33 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:41 PM

It's much less poseable, but either 6" Monger is actually the accurate scale.

Seen it all over the place on other forums, recreating the final battle. It's perfect.

#34 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:51 AM

I got my first deluxe figure today, Negative Zone Armor Iron Man. Haven't had time to play with it but we'll see. Only 10 dollars at a place called Fred Meyer we have here in the Northwest.

Anybody else have a chance to get a deluxe figure.

#35 Jestermon

Jestermon

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:38 PM

I love these, it makes me very happy I never paid the $8 when Universe first came out, it's the 90's armor hunts all over again.

And yes they made a Vault Guardsman figure, hopefully we will get one from this run with a similar backpack.

I have Crimson Dynamo, War Machine Comic(still have seen no movie version in 2 states), Original, Stealth, Golden Avenger.

Haven't seen Irong monger either.

Be careful when getting the Golden Avenger armor, it seems to have the worst of the paint issues.

It has white plastic underneath and it shows on all the yellow joints, and the red yellow spill over is pretty bad.

The flight base works exceptionally well, one of the main reasons I dealt with the bad paint.

Also the Orginal armor has different amounts of 'rust' some are alot more blue than the others, I got the blue it looks more brand new than the other ones with the rusty overspray.

I don't think it is a variant just paint spray.

I like the deep dive armor, which kind of looks like Metalhead from TMNT, and the Hypersonic armor looks nice, I think it is the dark colors that amke me want to get it, I wish the shield could become a backpack or board thing though.

I am holding out to see if they do the golden deep dive armor from the comics.

So many Armors I need, hopefully they will make the Modular suit as well since that was the Iron man I grew up with, it would be neat if he could fit into the Hulkbuster armor, since he was supposed to in the comic.

Love this line.
Posted Image

#36 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:17 PM

So i just saw the movie version of Iron Man Mark 1 for the first time, and was unable to resist it. Now i've got four of these things. Comic and Movie Mark 1 armors, comic War Machine, and Crimson Dynamo. I've got kind of a thing for big clunky armors. :joecool:
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#37 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:04 PM

So i just opened my comic War Machine finally and i'm pretty sure i'm in love. Me and this Iron Man line are gonna have a problem.
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#38 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:12 AM

This exclusive pack flew under my Radar. http://marvelousnews...23&itemid=12964

Sucks that I don't like 2 of the figures. So the Iron Patriot style figure is the only one that interests me . I'm a bit torn as well, since we will be getting an Iron Patriot in the MU series. But I am just sick for anything with a Cap shield. :lol: I'll have to swim by K-Mart sometime to see if they have any...and of course the price will be a big factor in whether I buy it or not. I really don't feel like paying more than like $18 bucks for it.

Posted Image

#39 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:16 AM

If you specifically want Iron Patriot, don't bother with the three-pack. It's nothing to do with Iron Patriot at all, but a remake in the 3.75" scale of the Captain America armor from the first movie toyline, which itself was based on What If? Civil War. If it's because you want a Cap Armor IM... well, you're screwed! :lol: I like all three figures in the set, but especially Vibranium Armor and Omega Factor Armor, so I'll probably get them. The lack of bases or cards and the price point ($24.99 supposedly) really hurt though.

Edited by Boaconda, 06 April 2010 - 10:22 AM.

#40 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:15 PM

...I'll have to swim by K-Mart sometime...

Is your town under water?
haha

#41 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:01 AM

Is your town under water?
haha

:shok: I guess my spell check thought I meant Swim instead of Swing! :D I must have typed Swin, and accidentally hit the correct button when spell checking.

But no, we are not underwater....it usually droughts here. :D

If you specifically want Iron Patriot, don't bother with the three-pack. It's nothing to do with Iron Patriot at all, but a remake in the 3.75" scale of the Captain America armor from the first movie toyline, which itself was based on What If? Civil War

Oh no, I knew it wasn't Iron Patriot. I just thought the Cap color armor and shield were tops. I remember being very tempted to buy the 6" inch version, but didn't want to get sucked into any 6" Marvel lines at the time. I had wondered where the concept came from though. I just read Civil War this past weekend, so I'm still catching up on a bunch of stuff. I have to say, I've really missed some great stories over the past decade. I'll have to see if I can find something on the What If issue you mention.

$25 bucks a set is way high though. Like you mention no stands or cards really hurts the value. I suspect these sets will rot K-Mart shelves for a few years, like most of their exclusive packs often do. I don't think the set is worth more than $19.99, especially considering the single figs are currently under $7 each at Wal-Mart.

Posted Image

#42 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:24 AM

Since the Kmart set isn't even released yet, it's really just hearsay from one guy in one thread who saw shelf tags. It is a crappy price, and Kmart's stuff is rarely a good value, but it may not necessarily be that crappy. $19.99 seems like the much more likely price.

#43 phantomeye

phantomeye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:00 PM

If they actually do price that 3 fig set over $19.99, once again Kmart will have me shaking my head in bewilderment. For a corporation in the red (at one time not too long ago at least) they sure make it difficult for me to find any reason to do business with them. They are so overpriced and often below standard value.

#44 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:55 AM

The second comic wave has been sighted and confirmed in store. Hooray, HulkBuster Iron Man! Plussome other cool as cucumber Iron Man figures.

#45 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:57 PM

Shazbots! I'll have to try running by some places this weekend then. I gotsa have a Hulkbuster!

Posted Image

#46 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:28 PM

Went to Kmart after work today. I found two Iron Mongers with opening cockpit (on "clearance" for $9) and finally, years late, picked one up. He's so hefty! Putting on the chestplate was a pain and I think I should have heated the tab up to plug it in, but too late now. It's too big to be perfectly scaled to the little Iron Manz, but the imposing appearance certainly works. I also saw plenty of tempting non-IM toys but ultimately caved and bought the exclusive three-pack. I picked out the one with the best-looking Vibranium Armor and boy, am I glad I did. Whatever crap made my War Machine and Mark V a pain in the ass to move at the hips is not present. At all. These three figures have the best QC I've seen in the line yet. They'd better at $25! Of course, your mileage may vary.

#47 phantomeye

phantomeye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:37 AM

Hey Boa,
I'd love to see a pic of your new Iron Monger bearing down on Iron Man! Is this monger from the 6" line? You'd pit him against 3.75" IM? Now they need to make a 3.75" Obidiah Stain to put into your new huge MOnger. Kmart is a lot like ShopKo. They will still be clearancing out Xmas stuff at 15% off in the middle of the Easter season. I've stopped trying to understand the strategies of these two stores.

#48 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:20 AM

Hmm. I haven't put my nice new camera to use on anything but Kamen Rider toys. I will definitely take some Iron Man collection pics next. The opening cockpit Iron Monger does have a little Jeff Bridges inside, but you can tell from his head that the scale is off. I would not complain if we got a business-suit Stane, but I can't imagine such a figure ever being sold at retail. Maybe a two-pack with Tony or something, as an SDCC or HasbroToyShop exclusive.

I've got the smaller IM2 version of Iron Monger, and now I have the Vibranium Armor to go with my 6" Captain America Armor. Can't wait until I find the Walmart exclusive 6" line, then I'll have little and big War Machines too.

#49 phantomeye

phantomeye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:37 PM

Yeah, the 6" Cap Armor IM is very nice. I also was drawn to the Satellite Armor.

#50 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:44 PM

Basically a repost of what I already said elsewhere on the interwebs, because it bears repeating. Especially for anyone who is a fan of the 6" Marvel Legends line, the first movie line, or just loves the characters enough to consider these guys - the Walmart exclusive Iron Man Mark VI and War Machine.

I hit Walmart today, naturally, after a mostly awesome night watching IM2. I was not expecting to see much from the toyline this time around, and at first I was right. Sure, junk like the ATVs were there, more Arc Reactor lights than expected and other peripheral stuff, but the 4" figures were hit hard. One red War Machine, a ton of Mark VIs (maybe some IVs, they never stand out) and Hypervelocity Armors for some reason. Everything else was gone. Last time I was there, they had a ton of the first movie armors, Deep Dive, and even Iron Mongers and Dynamos. It was a funny but disheartening sight, because it looked like nothing would come home with me. :)

Then I turned the corner to the next aisle. :D Four each of the 6" figures, yeah baby! I didn't want to take forever going through them, so I merely picked out the best War Machine of the bunch and brought him home. I must preface this by saying that WM is not as godly as some might think. I only say this because, having two different 3.75" versions, it's more or less the same, upscaled.

Nonetheless, this figure remains a must-own. The sliding bar, swappable if inaccurate missile rack, three pairs of hands! It's not the first time Hasbro's really made a proper collector-friendly item, but it's at least one of the first I've seen at retail and probably their best effort yet. I'm thrilled to own this guy and he'll get me to buddy him up with Tony soon enough.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com