271 replies to this topic

#51 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

well if i make the orbs they will be solid rubber. maybe just do a red, blue and brown to be added in. I dont work with resin so i couldnt do a clear orb.

plus i think i might be pushing the lasers back a bit, and just focusing on some Battle beasts right now. Get all the popular ones done. Then maybe go to Laser Beasts.

#52 Toxoviper

Toxoviper

Toy Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1269 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

Right... But that is a much more involved step, than slapping a sticker on.

It would have used the same mold and process that the full line used.
Otherwise they would have had to sell them with a large empty hole in the chest.
I think a orb in the chest would look amazing in these custom gumballs.

#53 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

Yeah I would think... it would take a bit of fusing to get it right... but is an orb basically like a sphere cut in half? If that is the case it stands to reason popping out the orb from an original, making a mold from that, finding the right size acrylic cabochon to pop in there. Got a Tap plastics around you? You could fit one in there on site if they have them. Unless I'm wrong about what the orbs are like as I don't own any.

#54 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

Were the gumbal BB produced by Takara?
If they were boots, at all, then I doubt the producing company would've bothered trying to separate the orbs from the original figures. Just saying.
If they were produced in house, then yeah, they probably did use the same exactl production methods.

#55 Toxoviper

Toxoviper

Toy Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1269 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

The orb is a half sphere with a flat backside.
These are cast out of such a flexible rubber I imagine you could just heat one up and slide in the orb.

Edited by Toxoviper, 12 May 2012 - 01:19 PM.

#56 Toxoviper

Toxoviper

Toy Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1269 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

Were the gumbal BB produced by Takara?
If they were boots, at all, then I doubt the producing company would've bothered trying to separate the orbs from the original figures. Just saying.
If they were produced in house, then yeah, they probably did use the same exactl production methods.

Takara, sold in vending machines.
Packaging recommended painting them yourself.

#57 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

OK then yeah... depending on hole size... an acrylic cabochon, bowl of hot water after full cure... should pop right in. Might cost around 75¢ or so a pop for the orbs...

#58 eightystoynut

eightystoynut

Team BATTLEBEASTS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:80's Action Figures and mostly BB/LB

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

There is actually a little piece of plastic on the bottom part of the orb, I have no idea what its there for other than make it a pain in the A$$ to remove them, I wrapped a little piece of paper towel around the front of a paper clip and pushed through the back of the LB and out it popped without damaging the fire/water/wood sticker on the back of the orb. :yes:

#59 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1853 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

Correct the orbs are like a little cilinder with a half sphere on one end and a flat part on the other where the wood/fire/water symbol is placed (back side).

They are hard to pop out because of that little piece of plastic that's on the front (sphere) part of the orb but that's also the reason they don't fall out that easily. So its actually a sort of 'safety pin' to make sure the orb is attached correctly into the figure. If you look at the hole in the figure when the orb is out you can clearly see where that little plastic pin is supposed to fit in, so there's actually only one correct position for the orb to fit in correctly.

So in case Eric would decide to use the actuall (or replica orbs) this is a crucial detail to keep in mind to prevent the orb from popping out of the fig.

I agree with Ironmask that when it comes to the production of possible LB gummy's its hard to imagine Takare would've chosen to add the exact orbs to the figs since its a much more complicated (expensive) production process. Although on the other hand they did have the original molds of course which they could've used for it.

The appearance of a solid casted LB gummy is something I've mentioned to Eric in a PM already since on one end looking at the complexity of production its would've been the most easy solution just to cast the figure as a whole with the orb. But instead of the little rubsign square the presence of the orb is much more influencing the look of the figure and I can imagine a white sphere looking solid orb wont be the best aesthetic solution.

It would've been great if there would be repo orbs like the rubs but so far I don't know even if they exist. Making them yourself with somekind of transparent plastic like material wont be easy and its not very cost efficient.

Guess these reasons are the most crucial for Eric to decide not to start with the LB untill a clear and acceptable solution is found. Maybe a test casting could be made of a solid figure to see how it would actually look but I'm affraid I'm not that far away from my thoughts that the orb is just to big and present to make it unattractive as a solid.

Edited by GJNL, 12 May 2012 - 03:54 PM.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#60 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

i know the godbeast used to sell reproduction orbs, but its bee awhile since then. especially when making his customs...

http://godbeast.com/lb_customs.htm

not sure how much some orbs would cost, especially since if i bought some i would have to charge extra on top of the figure price.

Edited by Ericnilla, 12 May 2012 - 04:10 PM.

#61 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

Would it be at all possible to make a specific color for someone?

I mean i don't know how the whole color mixing thing works so if it's not easy to change the color of rubber for just ONE figure i wouldn't want you to bother at all. But maybe it's as simple as adding a few drops of a color or something. No idea which is why i'm asking.

#62 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:35 PM

i'll do any color people want, no biggie to me.

#63 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

You can make repro orbs. Get a thin wooden dowel, put something soft at the end (maybe glue some felt) and push the dowel through the back end of the LB. Make sure to heat up the front side to loosen it up before pushing the orb out though.

Repro the orbs in clear or something transparent. You could even print out your own designs on a copier transparency sheet, cut them out and glue them to the back of the orb.

A really neat idea if you are making gumball lasers....
Create a custom orb that looks like a gumball beast in a capsule, so it looks like the LB figure has a gumball beast in a capsule in his chest.

#64 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

i'll do any color people want, no biggie to me.

HA! Cool!

When you finish with cobras i would like to pre-order a pink rabbit.

#65 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

yeah definitely, and it actually is as easy as adding a drop of pigment. :lol:

#66 Zion808

Zion808

Wrath of God

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

That cobra is ill, put me down for one

#67 salazar4id

salazar4id

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Around for any RARE Laser Beasts.

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:21 AM

I will take a Cobra.
As well as a Grotess when it's complete.

#68 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

Accepting orders again on the Cobra.

Edited by Ericnilla, 14 May 2012 - 09:56 PM.

#69 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:57 PM

use ur mouth....

#70 koppenschevelle

koppenschevelle

Delta Chameleon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Battle Beast minmates, Armorvors, Hot Sauce, Tea, Pearl Jam, Films, Camers, Animals, Chameleons and lizards

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

I wont be taking any new orders as of now. Everyone that has an order in already will get a cobra, but i am suspending any new orders till i figure out a Molding Problem.

Sorry

--Eric

Oh no! I was just about to put in an order for a gumball Cobra! It would look great in my army. Please, keep us informed when you have the molding problem fixed. I am dying to get one. It looks fantastic so far! I am really looking forward to being able to see more.

Great work Eric.

#71 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

I should have some more, on top of those who have orders in. PM if interested.

Also, i still havent received my Repro Rubs yet, i hear they take awhile to get in the mail. If anyone wants their mailed out early with out a Rub, Let me know.

also, messing around. Black with a grey mixed in.

Posted Image
Posted Image
*SOLD*

Edited by Ericnilla, 14 May 2012 - 09:24 PM.

#72 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:04 PM

That black and gray is niiice.

#73 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

Accepting orders again on the Cobra.

:D

#74 b00sted

b00sted

The b00sted One!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Interests:Mega Bloks
    Battle Beasts
    Battlefield Heroes
    Android Modding

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:06 AM

are you planing on doing more than just the cobra? and pending wife approval I will see if I can snag a order friday from you!
Posted Image

#75 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

Yeah i will be doing quite a few... but 1 or 2 at a time.

still up in the air about who im doing next. I'm thinking maybe Hare, Shark and Carp.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com