43 replies to this topic

#26 OmegaTraf

OmegaTraf

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:18 PM

thanks I never spotted or owned windigo and owned nothing past series one so thanks for the heads up. Champ is one of the US's loch nessesc monsters in lake champlain. So it would be essentially the same thing. And yeah thats the Jersey Devil.

Edited by OmegaTraf, 02 March 2009 - 12:19 PM.

#27 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:43 PM

Jersey Devil is already a MIMP figure, #115 in Series 4.

http://www.raumhafen.....20Super Scary

Seth (more Gods to be banned)
http://www.ancienteg...plore/main.html

The banned figures were all based on Hindu gods. The banning of those figures in the UK had nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that they were gods, but that they were all beings in an actual current religion. Ancient Egyptian gods might have some smattering of believers in the world, but otherwise aren't taboo.

Edited by Boaconda, 02 March 2009 - 12:47 PM.

#28 DarrylWestley

DarrylWestley

www.monstercollecting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:57 PM

Thanks! I had forgot about that figure!

You not detect any touch of sarcasm? :down:

'The banning of those figures in the UK had nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that they
were gods'

The case of banned figures in the UK I heard it was due to the misrepresentation of a God/Deity
esp in the case of Ganesha) reproduced as a 'monster', which lets face it... if you are a believer
of Hindu religion could be quite offensive... (below quote and link to support this argument).

"England
Matchbox Toy Monsters Out

Matchbox Toy company in England was hit by a silver bullet (used to kill werewolves) when
the British branch of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad strongly contested the inclusion of Ganesha
and Kali in the Matchbox's Monster In My Pocket collection. Matchbox immediately pulled all
the Monster units from store shelves and stopped production of the Ganesha and Kali, issued
a public apology and printed a point-of -sale brochure explaining the company's insensitive
error in misrepresenting the Hindu deities."

Link found here:
http://www.hinduismt...993-11-15.shtml

Deity

"The word "deity" derives from the Latin "dea", ("goddess"), and '"deus", ("god"), and other
Indo-European roots such as from the Sanskrit "deva", ("god"), "devi", ("goddess"), "divya",
("transcendental", "spiritual"). Related are words for "sky": the Latin "dies" ("day") and "divum"
("open sky"), and the Sanskrit "div," "diu" ("sky," "day," "shine"). Also related are "divine" and
"divinity," from the Latin "divinus," from "divus."

'Ancient Egyptian gods might have some smattering of believers in the world, but otherwise
aren't taboo.' - I agree with this... but in these PC times I am sure someone else would disagree!

This definitely could open up the debate about what someone regards as a 'monster'. Surely there
could be the sculpt 'human', as there are many evils that walk amongst us. Some of the evil men/
woman through history would make good mini sculpts. Vlad the Impaler, Elizabeth Bathory, Atilla
the Hun (much like McFarlane's figure line).

Typhon sounds interesting '100 dragon head on each hand' as stated on Wiki. Impressive!

Edited by DarrylWestley, 02 March 2009 - 03:37 PM.

www.monstercollecting.com

#29 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:28 PM

You're welcome for the help man, and my apologies, I didn't realize you were being sarcastic. :lol: I guess you're too new for me to pick up on those nuances. As for the deity stuff, I was oversimplifying it. But I can tell we're on the same page regardless.

I was tempted to add in some jab at modern worshipers of the Egyptian gods, because they do exist, but in this place, one never knows what someone else believes. :down:

#30 LaRata

LaRata

Skaven Painter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:WARHAMMER !!!, BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU, MIMP, STAR WARS , SAINT SEIYA , AND ALL TIME BEST BASS PLAYERS IN THE WORLD !!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:50 PM

:lol: The Mighty Great Cthulhu, and maybe the japanesse Kappa and chupacabras to :drinks:
GW RLZ !!!!

#31 Grimace

Grimace

LittleRubberGal Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:12 PM

I'd like to see:
  • Scylla
  • Basilisk
  • Hecatonchires
  • Sphinx
  • Cecaelia
  • Echidna
  • Ladon
  • Cetus
  • Satyr
  • Empusa
  • Kappa

#32 mimoman

mimoman

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:37 PM

Manbearpig, please.

#33 OmegaTraf

OmegaTraf

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:48 PM

Manbearpig, please.

is that related to the grass-mud horse from China?

Edited by OmegaTraf, 12 March 2009 - 12:49 PM.

#34 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:33 AM

I would love to see Behemoth and Azzello and Hella from "The Master and Margarita". Perhaps a whole line of monsters from literature (though I realize the licensing rights would probably kill such a thing)

Edited by mrjayberry, 13 March 2009 - 03:37 AM.

#35 Jestermon

Jestermon

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:45 PM

The Etruscan goddess Vanth, The Etruscan female demon of death who lives in the underworld. With the eyes on her wings she sees all and is omni-present. She is a herald of death and can assist a sick person on his deathbed. Her attributes are a snake, torch and key., from encycopedia Mythica great collection of,gods/myths there.
Posted Image

#36 SiberianSpecialForces

SiberianSpecialForces

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:57 PM

*cthulu
*mothman
*chupacabra
*sphinx
kappa
tanuki
tengu
*behemoth
*leviathan
heraldic dragon
pegasus
caladruis
bunyip
musimon
calopus
enfield
kara-shishi(foo dog)
sleipnir
yppotryll
seabishop
leucrocuta

i smell a potential contest idea here..........

Edited by Bokkire Jin, 05 June 2009 - 10:20 PM.

Posted Image

#37 RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:48 PM

I actually did this once. I scraped the 4th series like it never existed (i didn't like the super Scary series) and made a 4th series of my own, with 48 monsters, i guess.

I don't know what happened to that list, but i remember it having a bit of everything, from mythology and folklore (Geryon, Kappa, Jiang-Shi/chinese vampire, Karkadann, Arachne, Ettin, Kelpie, Bunyip, Yara-Ma-Yha-Who, Leprechaun, Satyr, Succubus, Oni, Kobold, Wyvern, Questing Beast...) to literature (Cthulhu, Cenobite, Balrog...) to even movies (Freddy Krueger, Alien/Xenomorph, Gill-Man/The Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Blob, The Fly...), without caring about copyrights, obviously!

There were also cryptids like Mothman, Chupacabra, Loveland Frog, Grey (alien) and my personal favorite - the Flatwoods Monster! And also "non-canon" monsters that would otherwise fit well in the collection, such as what i dubbed "Undead Pirate" and "Evil Clown" :blush:

Some of the monsters from series 4 were also included, like the Jersey Devil and the Mad Gasser.

It's really a shame that the franchise never manages to stay alive, even after continuous "remakes"...

Edited by RabbleRouser, 18 August 2009 - 12:58 PM.

#38 pointshollow

pointshollow

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:04 PM

How about a urban legend series?

#39 jack cambrian

jack cambrian

godless biologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Music, Science, Religion, Scrabble, Monster In My Pocket, Battle Beasts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:54 PM

... to even movies (Freddy Krueger, Alien/Xenomorph, Gill-Man/The Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Blob, The Fly...), without caring about copyrights, obviously!

Well, they got away with the Swamp Beast.

#40 Wrath1104

Wrath1104

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:12 PM

I know they did the Jersey Devil, but at the same time ... I am a Jersey Boy, born and raised, and I have never had the Jersey Devil depicted the way that the figure was created.
I've always heard it with goat/deer/horse head, wings, hoofed feet, and a tail (sometimes a reptilian tail) ... I would like to see a more true to myth version of the Jersey Devil.
If it weren't for the good guys, we'd all be BAD!

#41 RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:16 PM

... to even movies (Freddy Krueger, Alien/Xenomorph, Gill-Man/The Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Blob, The Fly...), without caring about copyrights, obviously!

Well, they got away with the Swamp Beast.

Yeah. It's also "remarkable" how they got away with certain literature copyrights: "Mad Scientist" instead of "Mr. Hyde", "The Headless Man" instead of "The Headless Horseman" - in this case they even went as far as giving it a description stating that he "was once a traveler whose horse was found, but not his body"! :D

Edited by RabbleRouser, 23 August 2009 - 12:32 PM.

#42 SiberianSpecialForces

SiberianSpecialForces

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:38 PM

somewhere i have noodlings of my concept of what mothman would look like MIMP'd.
Posted Image

#43 Joezilla

Joezilla

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:58 PM

Mokele-mbembe

#44 SiberianSpecialForces

SiberianSpecialForces

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:17 PM

I'd like to see that, if you have either a scanner or a digital camera.

i'll get those up here afterbit.
Posted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com