Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

What's the difference between a Hieracosphinx & a Griffin?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 andy53600

andy53600

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:All things retro. Mostly old consoles &amp; classic games such as Mortal Kombat, Doom, Duke Nukem, Sonic the Hedgehog, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Aliens etc.<br /><br />And perhaps best of all............MIMPS 'n' BOGLINS!!!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:51 AM

On this thread, I'd like to start off by saying...... I'm rather stumped!!!! :D

Why would manufacturers suddenly decide to base an idea on a character that already exists in a previous series?

Anyone got this answer to this one, lemee know!!!

THANX!
:lol:

#2 Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:11 AM

Well they're different, albeit similar, critters. The Griffin is a creature with a lion's body and eagle's head and wings. The Hieracosphinx is the same except instead of an eagle it's a falcon. They also may have different origins, the Griffin is thought to possibly originate in the Persian Empire, while the Sphinx was probably Egyptian. I wouldn't be surprised if they share a common origin if you went back far enough, however.

As to why they decided to make two figures that would end up looking like the same creature, I have no idea. Obviously the difference between an eagle's head and a falcon's head isn't terribly easy to distinguish at MIMP scale. Perhaps the decision about which monsters to make was based on some list of names rather than visual comparison.

#3 andy53600

andy53600

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:All things retro. Mostly old consoles &amp; classic games such as Mortal Kombat, Doom, Duke Nukem, Sonic the Hedgehog, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Aliens etc.<br /><br />And perhaps best of all............MIMPS 'n' BOGLINS!!!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:26 PM

Hi and thanks for the info but I'm now concerned as to what the Catarenha is supposed to be as well. Is that a 'proper' sphinx with an ordinary human face? And thats another thing, why did the illustrators of these invent random made-up names like that one and Jabalius (the hyena with hooves).

Honestly, the mind boggles!
:huh:

#4 OmegaTraf

OmegaTraf

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:40 PM

I found some debates on these very creatures dating as far back as 2002 the conclusions made are as follows.

Jabalius=Beast of LeGevaudan
Catarenha (Guardian of the Gold) is a creature that supposedly lives on the Russian steppes and may be a poor translation, may also be a vampire of sorts.

Edited by OmegaTraf, 05 November 2009 - 01:47 PM.

#5 andy53600

andy53600

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:42 AM

Who here also reckons that Karnak and Anubis are very much alike, considering they're both Egyptian gods an' all. ;)

#6 Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:31 PM

Who here also reckons that Karnak and Anubis are very much alike, considering they're both Egyptian gods an' all. :rolleyes:

Egyptian gods are interesting. Before ancient Egypt had a central government, every town and village had its own god or gods. Part of its consolidation of power was for the government to consolidate all of these gods into one sanctioned pantheon, combining many of these town gods into single gods.

#7 andy53600

andy53600

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:20 PM

I've just this minute remembered the river god known as Sobek although he's always pronounced as Sebek instead. I would've thought that the illustrators should've brushed up on their history when it comes to producing pint-sized and well detailed replicas of actual deities or mythical creatures before distributing 'em worldwide dontcha think? :rolleyes:

#8 Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:23 AM

I've just this minute remembered the river god known as Sobek although he's always pronounced as Sebek instead. I would've thought that the illustrators should've brushed up on their history when it comes to producing pint-sized and well detailed replicas of actual deities or mythical creatures before distributing 'em worldwide dontcha think? :D

One would, though I do see the resemblance in the only (poor) picture I have of the figure. Vowels are another interesting thing. Egyptian Hieroglyphs have no vowels, so pronunciations are always an educated guess. One thing I thought they might be more careful with are figures based on deities still in modern use. I thought they could have done much better with Ganesha in particular.

#9 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:56 AM

I've just this minute remembered the river god known as Sobek although he's always pronounced as Sebek instead. I would've thought that the illustrators should've brushed up on their history when it comes to producing pint-sized and well detailed replicas of actual deities or mythical creatures before distributing 'em worldwide dontcha think? :D

These posts are like Brojo-version 2.0 to me.

#10 Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:56 AM

'Fraid this reference is over my head. :D

#11 jack cambrian

jack cambrian

godless biologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Music, Science, Religion, Scrabble, Monster In My Pocket, Battle Beasts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:32 AM

'Fraid this reference is over my head. :ulp:

It's all too understandable to MIMP regulars. At least it's a consistent font size!

#12 Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:41 AM

It's all too understandable to MIMP regulars. At least it's a consistent font size!

'Splain? Or perhaps sum up?

#13 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:17 AM

Let me explain...

no, there is not enough time.

Let me sum up.

search for the member 'Brojo' via the search box at the top of the forum.
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#14 DarrylWestley

DarrylWestley

www.monstercollecting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:31 AM

Comic Sans MS is a sin!

#15 Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:52 AM

Let me explain...

Let me sum up.

I seeee.... Well, one definitely doesn't want to go down that road. Don't want to stop being "nice Nyarlathotep" :ulp: Sorry if anything was too encyclopedic, I can get carried away when touching on things I'm interested in. :)

"Anybody want a peanut?"

#16 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:12 AM

Let me explain...

Let me sum up.

I seeee.... Well, one definitely doesn't want to go down that road. Don't want to stop being "nice Nyarlathotep" :) Sorry if anything was too encyclopedic, I can get carried away when touching on things I'm interested in. ^_^

"Anybody want a peanut?"

Nononono, it's not the distribution of monster knowledge that's calling up reminders, it's the odd tendency of MIMP fans to not be satisfied with the standard font and text size on the forum. :)
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#17 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:04 PM

Nononono, it's not the distribution of monster knowledge that's calling up reminders, it's the odd tendency of MIMP fans to not be satisfied with the standard font and text size on the forum. ^_^

Damn you. This made me laugh out loud at work. :)

#18 andy53600

andy53600

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:51 PM

Comic Sans MS is a sin!

If this is such a sin, why is it available to choose from in the first place dick-head!

Oops! silly me, did I just say that out loud in writing? :)

#19 andy53600

andy53600

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:08 PM

Damn you. This made me laugh out loud at work. :)
[/quote]

As for you baldy, it's bad enough you (as a senior administrator) letting ridicule & harsh criticism from fellow members take place on your own forum but when ya start effing around editing my posts just coz of a poxy little spelling mistake, thats a whole new ball-game altogether pal! :)

Seriously, y'all need to get a life! :nea:

EDIT by Veers - As stated in my PM, the word filter is there for a reason. Please do not post around it. (As a side note, this edit was made after my post below. I didn't notice this until later. ^_^ )

Edited by General Veers, 10 November 2009 - 02:41 PM.

#20 DarrylWestley

DarrylWestley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:11 PM

Many things are 'available' in life... but there 'use' doesn't necessarily mean they are
'right'... or 'wrong' for that matter.

It is my point of view that as a typeface it is dire. When it's in use I am not
compelled to read it... Did you just say something?

#21 DarrylWestley

DarrylWestley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:28 PM

An interesting documentary on Comic Sans: http://www.vimeo.com/1994310

#22 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:34 PM

As for you baldy, it's bad enough you (as a senior administrator) letting ridicule & harsh criticism from fellow members take place on your own forum but when ya start f***ing around editing my posts just coz of a poxy little spelling mistake, thats a whole new ball-game altogether pal! :angry:

Seriously, y'all need to get a life! :nea:

I didn't edit any spelling mistakes. While I have long pushed for all posts to be approved by me for spelling and formatting it simply hasn't taken hold. As for the edit, I'm not even sure what you are talking about. :huh:

Just play nice with the other kids, you're simply getting a little ball busting because your posting style is somewhat reminiscent of another MIMP collector that was banned. As I mentioned in my PM to you, most members do not alter the font of their posts. Once again, I suggest you look at how everyone else posts. Silly fonts will often detract from your intended tone and/or message. :yes:

I seriously think this is Brojo - or, at least, a Brojo-like person. :blink:

#23 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:37 PM

Oh dear. This is like that guy who didn't "pimp out" that purple MUSCLE 154 all over again.

#24 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:42 PM

Who was that? :blink:

#25 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:47 PM

SJCollector or whatever his name was? He left in a hissy fit after fighting with you and requested his account be deleted.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com