28 replies to this topic

#1 IronHeadRat

IronHeadRat

Connoisseur of plastics

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:10 AM

Hello all, nice to join you as I've loved tiny rubber figures all my life. I rediscovered my MIMP collection recently when moving, and decided to complete it, but I didn't count on some of the holes being so hard to fill. I've seen fan castings of MIMP figures before, hasn't any owner of S3 figures ever made a mold of his figures and sold copies? I don't care if it's not legitimate or made of the same bendy rubber, as long as it occupies the same amount of physical space in my collection.

#2 Daxel101uk

Daxel101uk

Yin & Yang

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:22 AM

Good call, not sure if anyone here has thought of that, I wouldn't mind jus some customs of S3. Probably cost a fraction of the price of what S3 are fetching....
“I left in love, in laughter, and in truth, and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.â€￾ Bill Hicks R.I.P
My Collection
http://www.littlerub...=0

#3 Aikola

Aikola

Main Offender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:54 AM

To be honest the cost to make a figure is quite high, silicone mold and the rubber used could make it cost at least 30-40 quid, for an extra 20 id rather have the real deal.
Aikola: Collecting figures that no-one else cares about since 2007.
"Punk Rock: A loud, fast and deliberately offensive style of rock music"

My Trade List
My Little Army
Aikola's Mini Boglin Colour Archive

#4 TheWatcher

TheWatcher

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:19 AM

That and if MEG catches you, it could be a whole lot more.

#5 Daxel101uk

Daxel101uk

Yin & Yang

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:49 AM

True that... I'll pass then can't really afford to get sued
“I left in love, in laughter, and in truth, and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.â€￾ Bill Hicks R.I.P
My Collection
http://www.littlerub...=0

#6 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:54 AM

Yeah, MEG seems to be pretty protective of the old line, whereas the other guys don't seem to care.

#7 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

It's a trap.

Look at the guys username.

ironheadRAT

And just 1 post?

Trying to catch someone "ridin dirty".

None of that was true. :lol:

#8 IronHeadRat

IronHeadRat

Connoisseur of plastics

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:40 AM

Yeah, I'm actually a real guy. :rolleyes: I don't really see where the rightsholder would have a problem with it if they're not shutting down the other guys who have made castings, I saw a clear Kali on eBay the other day. It's also a line from decades ago and unless you were eating cereal in one of a tiny selection of countries, you could never have gotten them in the first place. It wouldn't be taking any money out of MEG's pocket. Of course a caster would have to make sure they state these are not the genuine article.

The idea came to me the other day when I was reading a new issue of a model-making magazine I get, and there was an ad for a company that sells silicone mold rubbers, casting resin, pigments, the whole bit. I checked out their catalog, for around $70USD plus shipping you could get started with 2 pints of resin, a pound of silicone, two pigments and a container of mold release. A guy with a few of the figures on hand could make his money back on his first batch.

http://www.glenmarc....ATALOG-2011.pdf

Actually, while searching for that Kali I did happen to see a couple of recast S3 monsters on eBay now, but they're still pretty high. And in questionable colors, you want your Abominable Snowman in white or blue.

#9 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:56 AM

The thing is someone here actually got busted for remaking a MIMP figure. He even changed it a bit but it wasn't enough. He had to give the company the actual molds he used and refund anyone he sold figures to and stuff.

So it's not like people here are ASSUMING you could get busted. It's happened here already. So no one touches that stuff anymore.

Lots of people do the same thing with other old toylines and nothing ever happens but MIMPS are pretty much off limits as far as reproducing and selling them.

#10 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:21 AM

Yeah 'Halfbad' was the member here that made the custom Ogre. MEG send him a subpoena, and if he didn't send them everything and take all info off the web that promoted it, they would have taken him to court.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

I could easily make some up (and in rubber, not crappy resin), but i wouldn't wanna risk it. :no:

#11 IronHeadRat

IronHeadRat

Connoisseur of plastics

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:40 AM

Ohhh, so there's a precedent. Nevermind then, guess I'll just get by without those couple of figures.

#12 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

Naaaaaaaah, we're just making this shit up. You go right on ahead, as planned.

#13 GoreVidalMeaty

GoreVidalMeaty

Trojan Trebuchet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Toyfinity, Wrangler jeans, MIMP ALL series,
    M.U.S.C.L.E. Things and the mighty ARCO Red Lizardman.

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:17 AM

what about 3-D printing?  scanning with a phone app or real scanner and then download, and wait an entire day for an inch tall monster? doesn't have to be resin.  they can now print out "rubber".  

#14 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:27 AM

I don't think MEG cares how you steal their intellectual property, they go after you just the same.

#15 thenerdieststore

thenerdieststore

Mimp total =

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
  • Interests:Monster in my pocket

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:15 PM

Who owns MEG new-a-days anyway? Is it Hasbro?

"THOSE WHO LAY THEIR EYES ON A GUNDAM, SHALL NOT LIVE TO TELL ABOUT IT. Those was the orders I was given."

101_5358_zps74e6dfc3.jpg

#16 Er0k26

Er0k26

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:22 PM

I got a very polite email told me to stop making mimp not to long ago.

#17 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts
  • Interests:Collecting MIMP and playing Fantasy Baseball.

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:02 PM

Attached File  MIMP'ing.jpg   188.26K   36 downloads

My MIMP Resource site: http://mimpcollective.weebly.com

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#18 PaulEWog116

PaulEWog116

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:50 PM

I got a very polite email told me to stop making mimp not to long ago.

It amazes me that they spend the money, time and resources to send letters to people for 30 year old toys.

They should do a re-release with new colors if they are so worried about it. I would be all over that. Wishful thinking I know. 

See my collection on Instagram. @Paul.Sewell.14

#19 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts
  • Interests:Collecting MIMP and playing Fantasy Baseball.

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:07 PM

It amazes me that they spend the money, time and resources to send letters to people for 30 year old toys.

They should do a re-release with new colors if they are so worried about it. I would be all over that. Wishful thinking I know. 

They were still making MIMP as recently as 2006 in Europe and 2012-2013 in Peru, so it shouldn't be a surprise that they are keeping their copyright alive. Especially with the plans for a new series in 2015 (whether it will actually happen is a good question)

My MIMP Resource site: http://mimpcollective.weebly.com

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#20 PaulEWog116

PaulEWog116

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:55 PM

They were still making MIMP as recently as 2006 in Europe and 2012-2013 in Peru, so it shouldn't be a surprise that they are keeping their copyright alive. Especially with the plans for a new series in 2015 (whether it will actually happen is a good question)

Yeah but not those mimp

But I suppose you are right

Edited by PaulEWog116, 06 December 2014 - 08:02 PM.

See my collection on Instagram. @Paul.Sewell.14

#21 cynical

cynical

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Music, action figures, collectibles, drawing, painting, print making, comics and a lot of stuff.

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:55 PM

Talking about series 3...I've been asking the same question myself for many years and yet I don't know if it is pure elitism or maybe some older collectors fear that their original pieces may devaluate. I've seen lots of people make fan castings of different lines including MUSCLE, Neclos fortress or amalgamations (usually really fugly) of MIMP characters. They even sell them online (very pricy for what they are) and promote them in several blogs or conventions.
5 years ago or maybe more I got a couple Blemmyae resin copies from some nice American guy. They changed colors with sunlight. Technically anyone with mold and casting knowledge can make re-casts. It's not a crime if you don't tell and get caught :ph34r:.
I understand the copyrights and stuff but still, we the poor fellas at least could get neat repros. Not all of us are rich dudes to buy hundred dollars rubber guys.
Sorry if this offends someone, I don't post here that often but love this site and minifigures.
If MEG still love their line that much (like all of us), why don't they re-release series 3? It's like they don't like money!. Always dreamed with series 2 in Mexican Sonrics colors too.

#22 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
  • Interests:MIMP
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

This and that - mostly that!

Posted 25 July 2015 - 01:28 AM

Talking about series 3...I've been asking the same question myself for many years and yet I don't know if it is pure elitism or maybe some older collectors fear that their original pieces may devaluate. I've seen lots of people make fan castings of different lines including MUSCLE, Neclos fortress or amalgamations (usually really fugly) of MIMP characters. They even sell them online (very pricy for what they are) and promote them in several blogs or conventions.

As someone who has moulded and cast figures as part of the toy collecting hobby, I wanted to point out that until you've had a go at it yourself, you'll have no idea of the costs involved - hence why these figures have to be sold for certain prices just to break even or make a little profit. As I said, I only did it as part of the hobby and used the basic materials, but I know others who do it as part of their livelihood and use far more expensive materials and equipment that what I use. For this reason, they have to be careful what they do and can't risk churning out copies of pre-existing figures. Hope that sheds some light on the matter :thumbsup:

#23 cynical

cynical

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Music, action figures, collectibles, drawing, painting, print making, comics and a lot of stuff.

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:05 PM

Hope that sheds some light on the matter :thumbsup:

Thanks for the answer, I didn't mean to be rude. It's good and cool to know.

#24 MudPuppetJoel

MudPuppetJoel

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Final Fantasy, Garbage Pail Kids Minikins, Ghostbusters, MIMP, M.U.S.C.L.E, Mutant Mania, OMFG, S.L.U.G Zombies, Socket Poppers, TMNT, Trash Pack, video editing, haunted attractions, hockey, professional wrestling

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:23 AM

An official update or re-release of MIMP would be awesome but what I'd love to see as a fantasy crossover would be Ray Harryhausen's creations cast in MIMP form. My wallet would forever be empty.

#25 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, Neclos Fortress, GPK, '80s fantasy toys, all kinds of monster-themed little rubber guys.

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:20 AM

An official update or re-release of MIMP would be awesome but what I'd love to see as a fantasy crossover would be Ray Harryhausen's creations cast in MIMP form. My wallet would forever be empty.

Oh man, so much yes. I've especially always wanted a mini figure of the Medusa from Clash of the Titans. The Super7 people should try to get the license.

14460229430_bb17eb3c18_n.jpg

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com