ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:17 AM

About a month ago I plugged up the old NES with the mission of finally finishing off some of the games I was never able to conquer as a kid that were still waiting in the closet with their 25-year-old championship belts. 

First on my list was the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles; I don't rememeber making it past the underwater stage more than once as a kid. It took about a week of practice but I finally got through the whole thing. The key to this one is really switching out turtles mid-fight to maximize hitpoints (which is something I didn't know was possible I was a kid, probably explains why I never made it very far)

Needless to say after playing through the levels for the 100th time and finally beating it, I was a bit disappointed by the "ending".

NES_tmnt.jpg

......for real? It literally just cuts to that after you kill Shredder, then loops back to the title screen. Awesome, thanks Ultra.

So last night I had a victory that prompted me to write this post in celebration: I finally finished Blaster Master. This one was a struggle; the game itself isn't really that difficult with the exception of some of the boss fights. I almost went insane at one point trying to kill the second crab boss. Once I got that down, the rest was relatively downhill. And finally...

NES_blastermaster.jpg

Somehow the enthusiastic Engrish and sweet Sophia III emblem made this ending much more rewarding. The "Very Thanks..!!" screen is preceded by a nice little panoramic cut-scene of Jason and Fred reunited at last.

So if you have a game that you could never get through, I'm challenging you to dust off your consoles and give some of those unbeatable bastards a second shot. 

I'd also like to hear if anyone else has had recent victories of this nature, or even post a screen-cap for proof a-la Nintendo Power. Emulator-based victories are welcome as well with the understanding that bragging rights are forfeited if you used save states ;) )

Edited by bachamn, 09 June 2015 - 06:20 AM.

#2 Sixthwizard

Sixthwizard

6thWizard

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:36 AM

cool topic.  I'm in the process of trying to beat the approx 32 minute speed run of Zelda on the NES.  Got 56 minutes so far.

#3 optimusdrizzt

optimusdrizzt

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Playing addicting video games, anime, MUSCLE, megaman, snarf from Thundercats, guts,and Battle Beasts. Really any smaller figure from the 80s/90s.

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:05 AM

That crab boss in master blaster could be glitched if I remember. Just as you hit him and he flashes pause the game and wait awhile went you resume he will be dead. The attack keeps happening through the pause. I cheated that one all the time. It was my favorite game by far.

Always Looking for Battle Beasts PM if you got extras!!!!

#4 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:57 AM

That crab boss in master blaster could be glitched if I remember. Just as you hit him and he flashes pause the game 

I knew that worked on the first boss (this guy:

large.jpg

but I didn't think to try it on the crab. 

To clarify, since there were technically three crab bosses in the game, two being palette swaps (lazy...), this is the guy that caused me so much grief:

blaster_master_crab_2.png

Edited by bachamn, 09 June 2015 - 08:58 AM.

#5 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts
  • Interests:Collecting MIMP and playing Fantasy Baseball.

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:23 AM

I am also working on TMNT for NES. I have taken like 15-20 runs and keep dying in the long hall of astronauts shortly before Shredder. 

My MIMP Resource site: http://mimpcollective.weebly.com

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#6 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:25 AM

cool topic.  I'm in the process of trying to beat the approx 32 minute speed run of Zelda on the NES.  Got 56 minutes so far.

I have been watching Zelda speedruns at work! Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are up next after I watch Windwaker haha.

#7 optimusdrizzt

optimusdrizzt

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Playing addicting video games, anime, MUSCLE, megaman, snarf from Thundercats, guts,and Battle Beasts. Really any smaller figure from the 80s/90s.

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:42 AM

I could be wrong, it has been 15+ years since I have played.

I you tubed it and no you cannot pause him but I remember doing this guys trick:

#8 TheRiddler

TheRiddler

????????????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2357 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:41 AM

My wife and I beat Toe Jam and Earl for sega a few months ago....that game is so frustrating

#9 optimusdrizzt

optimusdrizzt

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:27 AM

This is another game I want to actually beat

#10 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:43 PM

I you tubed it and no you cannot pause him but I remember doing this guys trick:

man! I had no idea you could strafe like that by holding B. Went through the whole game without using that! 

This is another game I want to actually beat

haha I forgot about that game, I think that was one of the first SNES carts I played. I remember going to Circus Video and renting an SNES and games when they first came out until I got one for my birthday later that year,

Speaking of caveman themed games, anyone else remember this one? 

Edited by bachamn, 09 June 2015 - 12:43 PM.

#11 optimusdrizzt

optimusdrizzt

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:59 PM

This is another one I plan to conquer one day, none of my friends played it but my brother and I would take turns playing ti for days. We always evolved into a bird by jumping off some giant cliff and would always quit after that.

Holy shiz I just looked it up and this game sells for like $200. Crazy man, but it really was a well made game at the time and you got allot of play for your dollar. I am going to have to search my parents home and see if it is hiding somewhere.

Edited by optimusdrizzt, 09 June 2015 - 01:01 PM.

#12 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:25 PM

This is another one I plan to conquer one day, none of my friends played it but my brother and I would take turns playing ti for days. We always evolved into a bird by jumping off some giant cliff and would always quit after that.

E.V.O. was pretty fantastic. They really need to do an updated concept with it. We almost had it with Spore, but alas.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#13 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:09 PM

Holy shiz I just looked it up and this game sells for like $200. Crazy man, but it really was a well made game at the time and you got allot of play for your dollar. I am going to have to search my parents home and see if it is hiding somewhere.

Yeah dude. If you can get back to your parents house and check that attic/garage/basement for old games you might be surprised what they sell for now. Some of my games still have stickers for the old Rhino Games shops from a few years back that are $7-10 and the games are like $30-50 on eBay. I have Metal Warriors that I know I bought for under $10 shipped from some random site back in college. It is $200+ on eBay right now. Time to let it go I think.

Just noticed I have sunset riders which is like $75ish.

Edited by redjarojam, 09 June 2015 - 07:39 PM.

#14 Rubberhammer

Rubberhammer

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2463 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:30 PM

I am also working on TMNT for NES. I have taken like 15-20 runs and keep dying in the long hall of astronauts shortly before Shredder.

I haven't played the game since I was a kid, and I still hate those guys!

#15 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:18 AM

I loved E.V.O. back in the day. And totally agree about Spore, I had the same thought when I heard about it, which was probably the last time I thought about E.V.O.

Sucks that it's one of the expensive carts now; guess I'll have to play it on emulator.

#16 iwao

iwao

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1481 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:30 AM

My wife and I beat Toe Jam and Earl for sega a few months ago....that game is so frustrating

I downloaded that to my PS3 for $1.99 a few weeks ago and beat the game with my 5 year-old. The download version lets you save it as often as you want though, so it was much easier than beating it on Sega.

I remember Caveman Games. I was awesome at the fire starting challenge.

#17 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 04:50 AM

I sold my copy of Metal Warriors for $180(the back label was completely ripped off and had some marker on it) and Sunset Riders for $70! Victory!

I can now afford an SD2SNES flash cart, so I will have most games in one cartridge.

#18 stoffhimel

stoffhimel

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:00 PM

cave man games?!?! I played the dos version. Cave man UGH-lympics!

#19 harkback

harkback

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Anything retro.

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:46 AM

Great topic!  When I was young I used to blaze through TMNT to the Technodrome.  Only actually beat it once though.  I have no idea how, because playing it now, I can't make it far at all.

Blaster Master was a great one, too.  But I could only beat it years later, recently actually, with the help of a map.

Right now, I'm working through Star Tropics.  Years ago, I made it to the final boss, but as I remember, if you couldn't beat him the first time you were pretty screwed, as the game would autosave and you would have no way of refilling your life bar.  I'm thankful for emulator saves now, but I'm playing through these games on the original NES.  Some sort of annoying purist in me.

Oh and Caveman games!  I had this on my other favourite system, the Commodore 64.  Spent hours on it with my brother.  It was called Caveman Ugh-Lympics on there.

Matthew Heiti

harkback: all yesterdays party

#20 optimusdrizzt

optimusdrizzt

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:17 PM

I know this isn't a "classic" game but I am going for a bioshock 1 and 2 marathon this weekend! It is the best FPS ever in my mind and that first one has the best plot!

I'm going to try and kill the girls this time to get the bad daddy achievement. (I've tried it 3 times but I never can do it, I always feel bad in the moment).

#21 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:31 PM

I finally beat TMNT and have moved on to Ghosts and Goblins. It has been quite an adventure so far. 

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#22 Rubberhammer

Rubberhammer

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2463 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:34 PM

I finally beat TMNT and have moved on to Ghosts and Goblins. It has been quite an adventure so far.

Good God!
Yet another game that has made me swear repeatedly in the past!

#23 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:36 PM

Good God!
Yet another game that has made me swear repeatedly in the past!

I have managed to get to Level 6 several times, but not beaten it yet. 

#24 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:15 AM

I picked the original Zelda back up a few weeks ago and was having fun progressing through that for the first time. I never got very far as a kid, just wandered around randomly until I died. Just after getting the third triforce piece my save file got corrupted. :(

Believe this is just an age issue with the cart and nothing can be done about it, so I suppose this another I'll need to get through on emulator (finished E.V.O. btw). Just wish I could find a decent NES emulator for my old DS Lite M3 card

Edited by bachamn, 15 July 2015 - 08:16 AM.

#25 SmokinGun

SmokinGun

Weird, Wild Wrestler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E.

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:06 PM

Just beat dragon quest 2 a few days ago on mobile. It's been like 10 years since I play dragon warriors 2 on NES though. I played it straight through before hitting "Cave of Rohne" which is the last cave you enter in the game. I was stuck there for 3 days til I said.. "Screw it. I'm using a map." Now I wish I haven't use the damn map. lol!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NES, 80s, Gaming

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com