55 replies to this topic

#1 nicodemus

nicodemus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:- * - * - * - * -<br />http://www.oldweiler.com

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:49 PM

So...sadly, I find myself wondering exactly what it is I'm doing when it comes to collecting. Looking back, I have spent numerous years...and numerous thousands of dollars building up my collection - but for what? I have actually typed up a topic like this a number of times over the last few months but end up deleting it rather than posting it.

The main question I keep coming back to is: "Do I really need to 'own' these things?"

Now just to be clear, keeping my website updated is one of my favorite pastimes; and I love having it available for other collectors to use for information and enjoyment, but do I really need to 'own' everything on the site? Especially in this day and age where obtaining images of items is not difficult, I could just 'borrow' images and host them on my domain with added text, etc. There are a few items in my collection I could never part with...but most I just purchased in the goal of obtaining the most complete collection possible.

Over the years I have seen a number of collectors come and go - and for a while I said to myself that I will NEVER sell my collection. But honestly, what is the point of spending $100 on something...getting it in the mail...taking a few pictures of it...and putting it in a box in my crawl space? Why not just get it, take some pics, and sell it? Would that be so bad? In fact, just last week I was looking for something in my crawl space and stumbled upon the 10 boxes of Star Wars toys that I packed up and moved from my last house - 7 years ago! They haven't even moved an inch from the day we put them in the crawl space. And as for my current GPK collection - I look at an item here or there...but mainly the items sit in their acid-free homes and get ignored.

And sadly my financial situation now is different than it was when I started collecting (basically take what it was and add a house, 2 cars and 3 kids). This plays a big role in whether or not I keep my collection. I know a number of members here have sold most if not all of their collections and I can't imagine taking the step from 'thinking about it' to actually DOING it. Although, I must say I'm closer now than I've ever been.

Ugh...well thanks for listening - and I'm interested to see if anyone else ever experiences the same inner-struggle of whether to keep their collection, or sell.

(PS. To be clear, my struggle is with whether or not to sell certain items - not whether or not to leave the collecting community. I could NEVER do that :thanks: )

Edited by nicodemus, 24 September 2008 - 02:50 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:23 PM

To be clear, my struggle is with whether or not to sell certain items - not whether or not to leave the collecting community. I could NEVER do that :thanks:

This may not be feasible for you, but a year or so ago I decided that I would display my collection. Anything not displayed would be sold/traded.

Also, in the past couple months, I've traded a few rare/valuable/favorite pieces away (for instance, a green 2nd series Cheap Toy), and I haven't thought about any of them until this post.

I would say trade/sell any pieces you're holding onto "just to have in your collection," and keep all the pieces you really love.

:D
Posted Image

#3 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:38 PM

Yeah, I agree with Soups. I was a terrible Pack Rat ever since I was a kid. I virtually kept every single toy I ever owned no matter what the condition. A few years ago, I finally pulled just about 80% of the crap out of our storage shed, and practically gave, threw, sold, or traded away every bit of it. I havn't missed any of it, and I have had an amazing burden lifted off of me knowing it's not there anymore, and I don't have to be concerned about it.

Now I have noticed that since then I have been packing away other things, so I have to watch myself closely. If I find I really don't need it anymore, to the Trade section it goes. I have even held onto things I have wanted to get rid of for years, just cause I knew I wouldn't be able to make a profit off of it compared to what I paid for it.

Like my Comic Book Collection. I had at least 6 300 count boxes and 2 giant rubbermaid containers full of them. So about 4 months ago I pulled them out took all my favorites out, about 2 to 3 boxes of comics, and sold the rest for $120 bucks to guy I know who was going to sell them for .50 cents a piece. I havn't regretted it at all, and it helped me pay for gas for the first month of my new job......100 bucks of that went to GAS! Well worth the trade, cause now I gots more money. :D

Other than that I am only focusing on a handful of toy lines. With a couple that I dabble in on the side.

Star Wars vintage
Star Wars POTF2
SOTA Street Fighter
Beast Wars
And about half a dozen other smaller lines, that I only buy stuff for every couple months or so. All of my major lines are about 66% complete as far as figures go. And I have not really big plans of jumping into any others for the time being. Some of these I've been collecting for years at a casual pace.

Anything I do here on the board I only do out of habit or hobby. I try not to take this place to seriously anymore, so I try to just have fun with it.

Oh, and I guess I collect these things, not so much cause I'm compelled to need them, but I enjoy it and it keeps me sane in this otherwise insane world. :p I just need to budget my money better, and mayber get a second job, and win the power ball, then buy all the toys in the world, then I'll truly be happy....:thanks:

Edited by Universal Ruler Supreme, 24 September 2008 - 04:43 PM.

Posted Image

#4 gilgar

gilgar

Supertzar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2706 posts
  • Interests:Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, NWOBHM, Punk, Hardcore, Thrash -->CDs, Albums, Videos, DVDs, MP3's, etc.

Toys, Toys, Toys especially vintage & old cars! HW (esp. redlines), Dealer Promos, SSPs, et. al., kinnikuman, SD kinkeshi, M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle Beasts, & anything else that catches my eye

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:14 PM

I've always felt the chase is better than the catch (although there are some damn fine catches now & then) It's fun hunting for stuff, especially rarities and finding them in the least likeliest of places. I love that, being at a flea market or thrift store, or even an antique shop and finding some high dollar piece for next to nothing. I also like finding just really cool stuff even if it's way more than I can afford just to see it in person. I even like checking out other people's collections, both online & in person, even if it's stuff I'm not really into. I found a toaster collector website the other day that was amazing, nothing I'd want granted but still very cool, and interesting to check out.

Just the chance of finding something is fun, kinda like gambling or playing the lotto, but lest costly. I love shopping flea markets and thrift stores even when I don't find anything. If I find something then hey, it's a bonus. Also I run across stuff that I or someone I knew used to have and that brings back memories. I really like it when I can drag my mom to a shop or show cuz she will see things and tell me stories about how she or someone else used to have one, really cool.

The ebay thing is cool too, searching for stuff you want, hoping no one else saw it and getting it for as cheaply as you can. Getting things in the mail is fun too, you never know when it will show up, what it will actually be like--it's like christmas everyday. It's nice to have stuff that's worth something but it's not necessary as long as it's something you enjoy doing.

uh, what was the question again :lol:
Posted Image
the slime of all my yesterdays
rots in the hollow of my skull

they will pick up snakes in their hands, and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not harm themPosted Image

#5 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts
  • Interests:Muscle men, and Kinnikuman

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:05 PM

Man Nicodemus, I totally know where you are coming from and reading your post I could have sworn you typed it thinking through my brain or something. A lot of my collection has been in boxes and storage for years now. I have a very very select few figures displayed but that is due to lack of space to display stuff. I keep thinking to myself that if I get a bigger place someday I will be able to display it all, until then they sit. On top of that, everytime I try to thin out my collection like others mentioned, I find something else to fatten it up with, its a never ending hassel. I have began to collect some of the Super hero squad and galactic hero stuff, and some of the figures are extremely lame, but I find myself buying them just because I dont have them. Later, I ask myself, how pinheaded is that? All they are going to do is go in the box with the rest of the lame figures while the few cool ones are out. I hate hearing about people selling parts of their collection because they are in a financial bind though, that is a much different reason than the simple thinning out. I hope your situation improves itself in a timely manner.

#6 nicodemus

nicodemus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:35 PM

OK! Great responses...and I honestly appreciate everyone taking the time to chime in. This is a serious matter for me, as the thought of selling any part of my collection makes me want to puke.

This may not be feasible for you, but a year or so ago I decided that I would display my collection. Anything not displayed would be sold/traded.
I would say trade/sell any pieces you're holding onto "just to have in your collection," and keep all the pieces you really love.

Good advice. And I have been leaning towards this approach for some time now. And while I don't have an entire room I can dedicate to my hobbies, I certainly have some space in my basement I could turn into a little shrine. For chrissake - I have my own bar...and while I like it the way it is, I could certainly tweak the setup to include some toy display/etc.

I was a terrible Pack Rat ever since I was a kid.

I save everything! :(

Oh, and I guess I collect these things, not so much cause I'm compelled to need them, but I enjoy it and it keeps me sane in this otherwise insane world. :p I just need to budget my money better, and mayber get a second job, and win the power ball, then buy all the toys in the world, then I'll truly be happy....:crazy:

I think you've got it figured out. Power Ball...that's the ticket. :yes:

Honestly though, I know where you're coming from - and I know I wouldn't miss 90% of the items in my collection if I sold them, but it's still hard to do. And while a lot of the items I purchase are just because I feel 'obligated' to, a lot of them are out of the pure rush of owning something one-of-a-kind. I think it's great you have been able to 'thin', since the only thing I appear capable of 'thinning' is my hairline. Honestly, when I was in my crawl space I found (in addition to my Star Wars collection) my sticker collection, my keychain collection, my frisbee collection, my poster collection, my Guns n' Roses collection along with EVERY school paper from 6th grade through my senior year in High School.

I need help. :shock:

uh, what was the question again :lol:

Your entire post made me want to NOT sell anything and keep collecting!! :lol:

Man Nicodemus, I totally know where you are coming from and reading your post I could have sworn you typed it thinking through my brain or something.

While I knew I wasn't the only one to have these feelings, I'm glad you shared your feelings. I LOVE my collections but I also have dozens of 'lame' items strewn amongst the cool ones. I honestly think the best bet would be to just take a page from everyone's advice and sell the ones I'm not jazzed about and keep my favs. At least that would be a start and I could see how I felt after that. Also, I need to keep in mind that I can still keep my website going - as that is one of my favorite ways to unwind after all the stress of kiddos/work/kiddos/money/etc. For some reason I want to keep associating selling my collection with abandoning my website.

I hate hearing about people selling parts of their collection because they are in a financial bind though, that is a much different reason than the simple thinning out. I hope your situation improves itself in a timely manner.

Things are great in the 'Nico-house'...and while it is a financial decision - it is not due to any problems or anything serious. It is more of an attempt to take a 'responsible' approach to money-managment. My wife and I are extremely happy in our beautiful home and our 3 children are as spoiled as can be (if you're inclined, you can check out 'family-nico' @ http://www.oldweiler.com ;) ).

Again - Thanks to EVERYONE for your responses. This is an issue I have been struggling with for months - and while I'm not ready to make a decision either way, the discussion truly helps.
:lol:
- Nico

Edited by nicodemus, 24 September 2008 - 06:37 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:22 PM

I have gotten rid of a HUGE part of my collection over the past couple years. Yes it was like amputating a limb without anesthesia, but it had to be done. Floor to ceiling toys packed into large boxes. I am still collecting, but on a much more limited scale. Except for Kinnikuman. Still going all out on that one.

I have a nice long rant similar to yours, but to save time I gave the short version. :lol:

#8 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:06 PM

If it isnt being used...IMO it needs to go. Which is why i love customizing.

Thats not to say that you must keep everything you make but creating something is an expression of passion (for something or some feeling). Because of this ive more or less walked away from anything larger than 1/18th scale and rarely take a 2nd look at that size of figure. I found that i wasnt customizing them nearly enough to justify my having them. It was the mythos i was interested in and i could satisfy that craving with comic books if i felt the need. *The 2009 Marvel 1/18th action figure line will be the exception. There are a few characters id like.*

Focusing on small figures in the 2'' scale makes the hobby that much more manageable and size/room is never an issue.

So if your collecting a larger scale and its taking up space *and* not being "used" in any way....let it go.
If your primary lines are small and take up a few mid sized shelves..pffft...ENJOY.

Edited by Articulationnut, 24 September 2008 - 09:10 PM.

Divide & conquer works because of attachments people make to push-button issues, individual "leaders," parties, clans, tribes, policies, or agendas, leaving them open to manipulation.

#9 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:41 PM

Ok, if anyone here can understand your question/statement it is me...

So I have collected toys since 1991. I have sold/bought/traded on small scale like toy hustlin' to flea market toy dealers/toy show dealers/comic store dealers/hole the wall toy store owners...to large scale setting up w/ lazorlion selling toys in an antique store/flea markets/toy shows (all pre-Ebay days). So from 1991-2006 my toy collection became the sickness that I labeled "My Toy Empire." Well while my sons, my friends, and I thought it was AWESOME...I also knew that it was sort of a habit. I too was thinking I had to have every variation and every figure of every toyline I dug/collected. Now I was GREAT at finding ULTRA RARE old/obscure toys and sell them to fund MOST of my collecting habit, however, certain toylines and so many toylines were killing me. New Star Wars, Dragon Ball Z, etc... they were wallet drainers and were sooooooo mass marketed that they weren't even fun to collect. So I took a BIG step in 2003 and sold all my new Star Wars toys (not my vintage complete collection) and I felt the healing...it was hard to walk the toy isle and see the new SW stuff and not buy them...but, soon it became easy to laugh and keep walkin' by them w/o even picking them up to look at them. My next step was probably the hardest step EVER...

Marriage problems...spring 2006 I was blind-sided...most everyone here knows what happened, but, in a nut shell...after 10 years of marriage she (the ex now) told me she wanted a divorce...so of course I was a fool and thought we could work it out...no, it turned into 5 months of her soaking me...I started selling off several important/high $$$ toylines in my collection thinking they weren't that important to me and the $$$ would help make thinks better w/ the marriage...well, it sure helped HER and she made sure she played the game for as long as she could until I FINALLY realized what I was doing and what was going on in her master plan. Get him to sell off his toys so she would benefit from the $$$ and then file for divorce. That would mean less valuables to fight over during the divorce. Well...needless to say I only sold off 10-15% of my collection prior to gettin' smart...then I fought her tooth and nail for the rest of my collection, the house, and custody.

I had ALWAYS told my parents that my toy collecting was not only a hobby...it was also an investment should something ever happen where I needed some serious $$$ to pay for health bills, loss jobs (which that had happened to the ex 2x's just prior to the divorce 2001 & again in 2003), etc... Well, during the divorce I had everything I could get out of the house removed during Labor Day weekend 2 weeks after I filed for divorce. The stuff I couldn't get out, I PACKED into my 5 Toys R Us LOCKED display cases (safe and sound). So after we mediated and I got the right to sell any of my toys I wanted during the divorce and then once they were ALL free and clear after the divorce, I sold absolutely EVERYTHING I could live w/o BECAUSE I knew I would have some serious legal bills...little did I know I would have $28,000 in total legal bills when everything was said and done (because I decided fairly early on I would do whatever it took to fight for more than 50% custody of my sons). So, those silly little toys (which 75% of the were displayed and I enjoyed every single day) became one of the most important tools I had to bail myself out of some MAJOR debt to stay on my feet financially for my sons. Not to mention, it helped me to stay in my home (keeping my sons in their original school district and neighborhood)!!!

Now I own about 10% or less of the toys I had (look at my old collection HERE). I miss a few of my collections BIG TIME...but, MOST of them I have gotten over (which must mean they weren't that important to me). For the most part, I feel great about the freedom from collecting sooooooooo many things/toylines and the free space in our home! That same feeling I got when I stopped buying new Star Wars figures. What killed me was when I sold off my complete vintage Star Wars collection for BIG $$$. I got what it was worth, but, the sentimental value was something that I know I will always regret...those were the #1 toy I lived/breathed and loved as a child and as an adult. Fond memories of my brother and I playing w/ them and I WISH I could have saved them till my sons were older (I mean 25-30...so they wouldn't sell them on Ebay in college for some beer/pizza $) and to maybe pass on to their kids...but, when I thought long and hard about it, I thought...they won't have the same memories of them, there is only one absolutely complete collection and there is 2 of them to split them up...screw it...I sold them and moved on from my memories.

Ok, so this turned into a HUGE life story ramble and I am not about to look back over everything I typed in this post. As you can see, I have went through a lot and toys have been and most likely always will be my escape from reality...they make me feel good (collecting in moderation), they keep me young, and they can be a real life saver when in a financial bind. So while lots of collectors say, "Don't sell when you are in a financial pinch," I say, "Sell them when you absolutely know you need the money!" (job loss, bills/debt to keep your credit squeaky clean, etc...) One thing I have learned over the years of collecting...they are just toys and your family/real life are the most important things on this earth! So collect, but, always display to enjoy them every day and never buy & store unless you are merely investing for those rainy days when things aren't going good. There is NO FUN in keeping your collection in a rubbermaid storage container in the closet. :crazy:

Did I help or just ramble? :lol:

I am done... :shock:

TGB

#10 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:09 PM

I'm fortunate enough to have a wife who enjoys and participates in my collecting, so for me i don't think i could ever give it up. My only problem is really space (and money, but that's always a given, right?)...when i started seriously collecting toys in the late 90's, the sting of my lost childhood collection still fresh, i started buying with no real focus. That was a great time for toy store clearances, and the shelves quickly filled up. Then the boxes filled up. Then the rooms.

I have definitely refocused though, and dropped a bunch of lines over the past couple years (especially Star Wars, and most recently Marvel Legends). Basically like others have said, if i can't display it, i either sold it already or i'm in the process of getting rid of it now. Granted though, i do have a pretty generous amount of storage space. Full-on toy room with sort of a satellite toy room in the office, and both the wife and i have lots of toys out in the living room. But even with all that i had boxes spilling out of closets and stacked up in corners...even a bunch in the trunk of my car.

Basically it just comes down to changing interests. Sell the stuff you've abandoned in boxes. You don't need it, but someone else would probably like to have it. Use the money to focus on a couple lines that really make you happy. I think once a collector always a collector, and if you drop toys completely you'll just start hoarding something else. Pruning down a collection never hurts though, and it'll make you appreciate the stuff you keep a lot more.

And while TGB seems to have been bailed out of a tight spot with toy sellin' moneys, i think most realistic collectors will tell you that 99% of toys are not really worth keeping as an investment. Many vintage lines have plateaued in value save the occasional ebay spike, and the vast majority of new toys are worthless once you get out of the store with them. Just keep what makes you happy, and let the rest go.
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#11 GosTanMan

GosTanMan

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:08 AM

1 - Set your priorities in life. There comes a time in life when a person will have commitments.

2 - Collect what you really like, not everything you like. You can't have everything.

My life isn't about toy collecting, my hobby is. :lol:
Posted Image

#12 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:38 AM

I think this thread resonates with people because as we get older, we all come to a similar conclusion – what is all this stuff?!?!

I had a similar epiphany when my son was born. I had/have boxes full of toys and nothing was displayed. And I didn't really care about it. Hell, once he was born I could have easily picked everything up and threw it out. It would have been dumb financially, but it would have been easier.

Instead I have been selling everything I collected (Less Than Jake, modern Star Wars, GI Joe, Transformers, etc.) except MUSCLE and my vintage Star Wars. In fact, I'll probably end up selling all the vehicles and playsets.

I realized, quite simply, if it isn't displayed its junk. Granted my MUSCLE stuff isn't displayed, but that's more of a logistical issue right now.

But to answer your two key questions:

What is the point of collecting?
Do I really need to 'own' these things?

The first answer is: to accumulate desired objects or items.
The second answer is: no.

The really scary question is, "Why do I collect?"

Each of us probably have such multi-layered responses that it would take weeks to accurately map it out – if we can even get in touch with some of the real reasons.

But most importantly, you have a beautiful family. Congratulations! :lol:

#13 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:05 AM

Many people have said in this thread (and in others) that if the stuff is sitting in boxes, someone else might want it more than you.

While some of the boxed stuff I've got is just not feasable to display, it's still close at hand. The things I'm digging out of the garage that's from my childhood? Out the door, if someone wants it. That's why I have a "Got Toys?" thread. Then again, I'm not absolutly choked for space right now, so I'm not going to undersell it intentionally (who knew that MIMP were worth twice what MUSCLE was? OOPS! Not Me!)... but I'm going to let it go if it feels fair.
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#14 nicodemus

nicodemus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:41 AM

I have a nice long rant similar to yours, but to save time I gave the short version. :)

:) Thanks for the reply - and I'm in the same boat where I'm just starting to think it 'has to be done' - at least with certain items in particular.

Did I help or just ramble? :)

Wow. Thank you so much for the response. And while I had an 'idea' of your history, I was not around to know the intimate details. And I must say that after reading your response, it makes my whining seem soooo trivial. I would never associate my situation to yours, as the only similarity is selling toys. Also, you should be extremely proud of yourself for putting your family first and taking action on what is truly important in life. And while it must have been difficult beyond belief to sell your undeniably-amazing collection - in the end, you got your boys for it, which is something that cannot be topped - certainly not by little pieces of plastic.
I especially enjoyed your outlook on the SW toys and how difficult that must have been. I have all my vintage toys still (packed in boxes :( ), but they are the same toys that my brother and I played with for hours/days/months/years growing up. They are in fairly crappy condition - but I wouldn't have it any other way. And I think that is where it becomes difficult to sell - when items become something more than a collection, but rather part of your life. Sure, most of my GPK items I have purchased aren't as near and dear to me as the cards I had growing up, so they would be easier to sell if I had to - but to think of selling everything? - that's where it becomes tough. I've said it before, but there are certain cards in my collection that act almost like a little time-machine - and warp me back to 1986. I can remember who's front yard I was sitting in when I first saw GPK...and what girl I had a crush on...and what color my neighbors houses were...etc. Ahhhhh....where was I?
Anyway, I will sum up by saying YES, you helped. And I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences. You are a great dad and a wonderful role model - I'm sure your kiddos are as proud of you, as you are of them.

I'm fortunate enough to have a wife who enjoys and participates in my collecting,

That's dangerous too though! I dated a girl in college who enjoyed collecting and I found we spent more $$$ than ever. :) While my wife doesn't collect - she does understand how important it is to me, and basically let's me do my own thing. And I agree, that collecting as an investment rarely works (and it just doesn't sound fun either) - and keeping stuff in boxes is not the way to go. Thx for the response.

But most importantly, you have a beautiful family. Congratulations! :)

Thank you. Honestly, that is what I am most proud of in my life. I never take for granted how lucky I am to have the life I do.

------------

Honestly, thanks for the replies. Hearing other people's experiences and suggestions has truly helped me when I sit down to go over what it is I want to do. And while I won't be making any decisions right now (who wants to sell in this economy?), I know when I finally DO decide to sell that I will make the right decisions.

:)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:52 PM

It seems like the common thread here is moderation. I think most of us started collecting a small subset of toys, then expanded the collection gradually until it got out of control.

Like many people who responded, I came to an epiphany about 5 or 6 years ago, and dumped the vast majority of my collection. I don't miss a bit of it. My philosophy now is to buy only what I really want and can expect to truly enjoy. That limits my toy purchases to about one or two a month.

I have a toy display, but I also have a few tupperware containers of toys in storage. Every once in a while I bring out some of the older toys in the tupperware to switch up the display a little. So, even though some toys are boxed up, they all get their turn to be displayed.

My wife and I also agreed that a great way to keep my collecting under control was to force myself to have an allowance. I have $30 a week to spend on "non-essential" stuff, including toys, comics, DVDs, video games, etc. It really reigns in my purchases and forces me to think frugally. For example, instead of buying comics, I buy graphic novels. And the DC Showcase "phone books" give you a lot of entertainment value for the buck.

Anyway, good luck!

#16 Airot

Airot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In no particular order, these are the things I collect;
    Monster in my Pocket (Both original the modern)
    Gamoja
    Fistful of Power
    Monster Connectors
    Gormiti
    Boglins
    Plasma Creatures
    Dinosaurs
    Mighty Max
    HorrorClix

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:05 PM

Here's my pseudo-psychological take on this;

I like collecting. Actually I love it. The thrill of the hunt, the endorphin rush from the catch... it's a substitute for something we evolved to do but no longer do because of our advancements in technology.

It's healthy to collect, although there are other substitutes like sports and buying shoes, but each of these substitutes can escalate into a problem. Some people have millions of pairs of shoes. Some people live and breathe sports. Some of us have mountains of toys.

I hoard everything, since early childhood I could never throw anything away, no matter how broken or ruined. I have only recently found ways to deal with discarding bits of junk I haven't used or even looked at in 10+ years. I try to control myself when collecting, otherwise it would probably escalate to the point of no return. I only buy if I can display my trophies, or at least will be able to in the nearish future. I keep myself from buying on a whim if I can. It doesn't always work, but I try. I can understand perfectly the heart crushing feeling you get from thinking about selling any of your prized or even not-so-prized collections. It feels like you're selling/throwing away part of yourself.

The hunt (thus the trophy) defines us as it defined our less advanced ancestors.

We have to change our instinctive 'understanding' so that we can let go of the unnecessary, we have to force ourselves to believe 'this trophy does not define me as a person, I am not less of a person for discarding this' so that we can let it go. Only when we reach this point can we discard things we held dear without pain.

I don't think I would ever give up collecting, but when something I have collected goes from 'prized and much loved' to 'half forgotten and gathering dust' I try to get rid of it. Sometimes the 'rediscovery' will rekindle my love for the item in question, but more often I successfully discard it.

I have discarded things before whilst still loving them because I would never get use out of them too. My pokemon cards and my magic cards for example. From the start I didn't know anyone else who collected pokemon cards, hell, once I moved schools I didn't even know anyone else who liked pokemon. When I met my now fiancee I discovered magic cards and moved on to those because I could play with those and collect those with someone who also loved them, I sold my pokemon cards and bought magic with the proceeds - but it turned out he was a poor winner, and made me hate to play with him so we wount up never playing. He grew out of that, mostly, but it soured the game for us and we just never played. So we sold them to buy comic books, which we still have and love.

Whenever I see a pack of pokemon or magic cards though, I still want to buy it, I still want to play. I just know I can't, and that makes it hurt less to pass them up.

LRGs on the other hand...

GIMMEGIMMEGIMME!
I'll give you this strawberry if you keep it a secret.

#17 gilgar

gilgar

Supertzar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2706 posts
  • Interests:Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, NWOBHM, Punk, Hardcore, Thrash -->CDs, Albums, Videos, DVDs, MP3's, etc.

Toys, Toys, Toys especially vintage & old cars! HW (esp. redlines), Dealer Promos, SSPs, et. al., kinnikuman, SD kinkeshi, M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle Beasts, & anything else that catches my eye

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:58 PM

and don't forget, whoever dies with the most toys wins!!!! :notme:
Posted Image
the slime of all my yesterdays
rots in the hollow of my skull

they will pick up snakes in their hands, and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not harm themPosted Image

#18 Biffard

Biffard

Team Truffle Shuffle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:56 AM

So...sadly, I find myself wondering exactly what it is I'm doing when it comes to collecting. Looking back, I have spent numerous years...and numerous thousands of dollars building up my collection - but for what? I have actually typed up a topic like this a number of times over the last few months but end up deleting it rather than posting it.

The main question I keep coming back to is: "Do I really need to 'own' these things?"

I know this is an old thread but I found it very interesting because it just recently hit very close to home for me. So, I decided I'd post my situation since a lot of new members have joined since this has last been discussed.

I had a lot of fun when I first started collecting and then I began to feel the same way Nicodemus does/did. I had all this MUSCLE stuff and I didn't really need it. I consider myself a nostalgia collector and as a kid I only had the muscle figures, 10-packs, and 4-packs and that was it. When I first got to LRG I was excited to see all the muscle stuff that I didn't know even existed. I thought I wanted to have a complete muscle collection but when I got the stuff, I looked at it, I set it on my shelf, then I eventually moved it to a box and forgot about it. It wasn't as exciting or cool to look at the stuff I didn't have as a kid because it didn't make me remember the good ol' days!

I kept asking myself the same thing as Nico (Do I really need this stuff?) and it really started to eat at me that I had spent all this money and wasted a lot of time that could have been spent with my wife or doing one of my other hobbies. So, with school around the corner, I thought it would be a good time to sell some stuff. I sold almost everything except the stuff that made me remember my childhood days of playing with muscles and opening the 10-packs. Like many others have posted, I haven't missed that stuff at all since I sold it. Since then, I've thought about why collecting makes me happy and what I enjoy about it. It basically boils down to what I had as a kid and being a member of the muscle community and making friends. Those are what bring the most satisfaction and enjoyment to me.

It actually made me feel relieved to find this thread and realize I wasn't the only weirdo who felt like this. I now only go after the stuff I really have to have which consists of muscle figures, 4-packs and 10-packs. Everything else is gone or going because I have no connection to it from my childhood.

I wonder if there is something about collecting that makes people feel this way or if it is like a stage in collecting after the excitement starts to wear off?

Anyway, I found this topic interesting, especially hearing from Jkaris, TGB, and Nico so I thought I'd post too.

Edited by Biffard, 22 September 2010 - 06:08 AM.

#19 walker13.1

walker13.1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4950 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:03 AM

I'm after certain things that help tell the story of M.U.S.C.L.E.....like my Nestle Quik figures, SC 4 packs, SRs, both posters......

There are a few figures I would like a complete set of too, but in now way am I going after all.

#20 Biffard

Biffard

Team Truffle Shuffle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:10 AM

There are a few figures I would like a complete set of too, but in now way am I going after all.

I agree, I think tortle said it best that in collecting there needs to be moderation. Being a completest could drive someone insane!

#21 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:56 AM

This topic has been discussed several times over the years by many different collectors, thus I think it is a normal part of the collecting process. It's a question that all long-term collectors will face at some point.

The insight that has helped me is the realization that collecting consists of two facets:

1) Looking for toys
2) Having toys

First, I realized that "looking for toys" was more fun than having toys. The joy of collecting is the journey (looking for toys), not the destination (having toys).

Second, I realized I could make "having toys" more fun by taking pictures of them and sharing those pictures with other collectors. And there a multitude of other ways to make having toys more fun: painting them, reviewing them, customizing them, displaying them in various ways, etc.

The other thing I've learned is that my enthusiasm with collecting (and my other hobbies as well) ebbs and flows. Thus I'm careful not to make rash decisions about getting rid of toys when my interest in collecting is low because it always tends pick up again.
Posted Image

#22 Apricot

Apricot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:painting, music, film, cream cheese

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:39 AM

i'm totally there with looking being more fun than having

with me, i collect things mainly that give me a positive nostalgic feeling. there are some things like j-vinyl and bootlegs that i collect for the weirdness and quirkiness

but the MUSCLEs and the garbage pail kids... those are things i really loved as a kid and never had the means to get all of them. it's hard to explain the feeling i get when i get a set of garbage pail kids - or even more so the feeling when opening an old wax pack

but then the weird let down feeling after it's opened and i realize it's just the same thing again

post-mastubatory remorse?

#23 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:39 AM

I have noticed that the toys I enjoy the most are the ones I actually get to put out on display and touch. For instance, I have a G1 Shockwave that is on my displayed TF shelf. Every time I pull the trigger and get the electronic blaster sound, it puts a smile on my face. When I see my collection of Hako's displayed, I am amazed at their detail and how much I enjoy Cinder's artwork. My Romandoh collection, which is mostly in boxes, brings me no real joy, because I can't see them to enjoy them. Ditto with my Spinjas, Kinkeshi, etc.

If you can, put them on display. If you don;t have room for them, pair them down. I like how Nate has a regularly rotating group of toys on display.

#24 Czarcher

Czarcher

Ruling Lands Far And Wide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
  • Interests:Ultraman,
    Dragon Ball
    Kinnikuman,GPK

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:46 AM

This topic has been discussed several times over the years by many different collectors, thus I think it is a normal part of the collecting process. It's a question that all long-term collectors will face at some point.

The insight that has helped me is the realization that collecting consists of two facets:

1) Looking for toys
2) Having toys

First, I realized that "looking for toys" was more fun than having toys. The joy of collecting is the journey (looking for toys), not the destination (having toys).

Second, I realized I could make "having toys" more fun by taking pictures of them and sharing those pictures with other collectors. And there a multitude of other ways to make having toys more fun: painting them, reviewing them, customizing them, displaying them in various ways, etc.

The other thing I've learned is that my enthusiasm with collecting (and my other hobbies as well) ebbs and flows. Thus I'm careful not to make rash decisions about getting rid of toys when my interest in collecting is low because it always tends pick up again.

I totally agree with everything your saying here Soupie! :yes: It sounds like you and I are the same type~? of collector.
Who knew? :D But seriously,I think you hit the nail right on the head. ;)

#25 walker13.1

walker13.1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4950 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:07 AM

Something also that brings a faint memory back of playing with them as a kid too.

Edited by vette88, 22 September 2010 - 09:08 AM.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com