#1 djblizzard

djblizzard

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:42 AM

Hey everybody!

So, years ago I got into Romando's Kinnikuman figures (for those who might not know what they are, they're 7" scale Kinnikuman figures made only in Japan). Because of their scarcity in the US, I had to dig through LRG trade threads, search eBay regularly and buy up any new figures that came through the LRG store. I managed to build up a nice, mid-sized collection...then I ended up in a time/money crunch and had to sell them all off on LRG.

Flash forward a few years, to when I graduated college and got a full-time job. I always regretted selling off my entire Romando collection, as there were definitely a few I wish I had kept (Akuma Shogun, Sunshine). I started digging around in trade threads again, and slowly started picking up a few figures here and there. This time, however, I had a contact in Japan and now had access to Yahoo! Auctions Japan…and the ball gradually started rolling and didn't stop until I simply ran out of figures to collect.

Through LRG, Kinnikumart, Yahoo! Auctions, eBay and online stores like Mandarake and Kaikodo.net, I was able to amass the collection I dreamt of when I first started years ago. Thanks Johnny, Sherrie and everybody else who helped me get all these figures!

Now, here are some pics:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Some team/group shots:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

KINNIKUMAN NISEI
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

SURVIVOR MATCH FOR THE KINNIKU THRONE:

TEAM KINNIKU
Posted Image

TEAM SUPER PHOENIX
Posted Image
Posted Image

TEAM SOLDIER
Posted Image
Posted Image

TEAM ZEBRA
Posted Image
Posted Image

TEAM MARIPOSA[/i]
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

TEAM BIG BODY
Posted Image
Posted Image

OTHER

Posted Image
Posted Image

SEVEN DEVIL KNIGHTS
Posted Image

SIX DEVIL KNIGHTS
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

KAIKODO.NET EXCLUSIVES
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

These are the Kaikodo.net exclusives, which were limited to about 100 pieces each. I'm only missing Puyo Puyo, who never shows up on Yahoo! Auctions and would be ridiculously expensive if he did.

---------------------------------

I plan on taking photos of each figure individually, but that might take a little while. I might even start reviewing these guys, as there isn't too much information on them here in the US. I plan on taking scale shots too, as you can't get a good idea of how HUGE some of the bigger figures are from pictures.

If anybody wants to see more photos of specific characters or different group shots, don't hesitate to ask.

Hope you guys enjoyed looking at my collection!

#2 TheWatcher

TheWatcher

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:59 AM

Those look incredible. That is a fantastic achievement! I hope to pick up some of these one day. Only my favorites tho. Have any advice? A good place to start?

#3 Rubberhammer

Rubberhammer

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2463 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:27 PM

That is an awesome collection, man! The Monsieur Cheeks fig is hillarious! I didn't even know that they had made one!

Edited by Rubberhammer, 05 December 2011 - 02:27 PM.

#4 djblizzard

djblizzard

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

Thanks guys!

Monsieur Cheeks is pretty awesome...I laughed as soon as I opened the box he came in...

TheWatcher...your favorites would be a good place to start. My overall favorite figures are Akuma Shogun and Sunshine (the articulated version). After them, I'd recommend King 100T, Buffaloman, Satan Cross and Wally Tusket (Seiuchin).

#5 NamaNiku

NamaNiku

FKA: uoozuman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3207 posts
  • Interests:http://nama-niku.blogspot.com/

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:05 PM

Fantastic collection, and wonderful pics mate! I love buying from Kaikodo ~ sooo easy!
Posted Image

#6 stoneyface

stoneyface

cthulhu cultist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2707 posts
  • Interests:muscle, satan cross!, cthulhu, vintage toys, biking, camping, burner community, deep house and psytrance raves.

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:25 PM

wow what an awesome collection!!!

Want a window into my demented mind? toys, movies, cool stuff around the world @ http://cthuluconnect.blogspot.com/

DMT= insert universe into cannon, aim at brain, fire.

ユデッキー - Yudekkii are you one? サタンクロス æ°¸é ã«!(satan cross forever!)
é¢ç™½ã„! happysmoke.gif

#7 Skitz

Skitz

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Masters of the Universe, Transformers, and more old toys!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:58 PM

If only I knew where you lived I could steal those Ultimate Muscle figures...

SICK NASTY COLLECTION BRO!

#8 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:12 PM

amazing, they look great together like that~! You need them in a sic display. :)

#9 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts
  • Interests:Muscle men, and Kinnikuman

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:43 AM

Damn dude, now that is an amazing collection.

#10 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:31 PM

Incredible!

#11 djblizzard

djblizzard

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:23 PM

Thank you guys!

You know, doc_moore:
I didn't realize until now, but it was your Romando page that first made me aware of Romandos! If I had never seen that page, I might never have come across them...thanks!

Edited by djblizzard, 06 December 2011 - 01:23 PM.

#12 NamaNiku

NamaNiku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:34 PM

Makes me sad to know that Romando went out of business.

According to Endo at CCP, Romando produced expensive figures on a large scale, and could not make it once demand fell in the declining Japanese consumer economy. Their toys were regulars on shelving spaces at mega chain toy stores like TRU Japan.

Japanese companies that manufacture their toys in Japan are finding it more and more difficult to compete with the mass toy market where the majority of toys are made on the cheap in China.

CCP and Five Star Kinniku figures are expensive as well, but they are made in really small runs in Japan. Those companies sell them out every time, and keep on trucking to make more. They also operate on almost exclusive pre-order systems and hardcore fans will pay just about any price for limited figures.

Romando made some really great stuff, too bad they are gone for good. Not sure what happened, but they also lost all the manufacturing molds for those figures. CCP made an agreement with Romando where they can produce old Romando designs with a CCP twist, but they have to create new molds based off actual production figures…

Crazy.
Posted Image

#13 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:47 PM

Romando made some really great stuff, too bad they are gone for good. Not sure what happened, but they also lost all the manufacturing molds for those figures. CCP made an agreement with Romando where they can produce old Romando designs with a CCP twist, but they have to create new molds based off actual production figures…

Crazy.

I know when they stopped making solid figures and went to less detailed rotocast figures, that is when I really lost interest. There were a handful of great rotocast figures, but most were just junk, I.M.O. And don't get me started on the quality of the GI Joe sized figures. :sick:

I am guessing it was a mix between that, the bad economy and the rising cost of materials. More expensive materials likely pushed them to switch to more hollow figures, which because of rising costs, were priced even higher and thus killed the market for them.

That's my theory anyways.

#14 ALLSPORTDVD

ALLSPORTDVD

Ameragu Chojin No Bosu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
  • Interests:Anything Kinnikuman!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:08 PM

Absolutely fantastic collection! Seeing my Muscle purchases have quitened due to being close to the master set, I think I'll have to chase these. How do I buy from kaikodo.net? It's all Japanese!
Check out my collection pics - https://www.flickr.c...107790593@N02/?

#15 NamaNiku

NamaNiku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:08 PM

I know when they stopped making solid figures and went to less detailed rotocast figures, that is when I really lost interest. There were a handful of great rotocast figures, but most were just junk, I.M.O. And don't get me started on the quality of the GI Joe sized figures. :sick:

I am guessing it was a mix between that, the bad economy and the rising cost of materials. More expensive materials likely pushed them to switch to more hollow figures, which because of rising costs, were priced even higher and thus killed the market for them.

That's my theory anyways.

I think you are right on the money. Those rotocast figures where ghetto to say the least as far as quality goes. I have a couple and they have all broken at one point or another. I think that was their last ditch effort to save things, and we all know where that got them...

How do I buy from kaikodo.net? It's all Japanese!

Instructions I typed up over on Nama: http://nama-niku.blo...kodo-go-go.html

I just bought a Romando Satancross from them online, and visited their store in Okegawa last month. Super nice peeps.

Tell 'em Nama Niku sent ya and you might get a small freebie or two.

Edited by uoozuman, 06 December 2011 - 04:16 PM.

Posted Image

#16 djblizzard

djblizzard

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:29 AM

I love Romandos, and admittedly, alot of the smaller rotocast figures aren't worth the marked up prices. If you stay patient and watch Yahoo! Auctions, though, you can find those figures for ridiculously cheap, especially in big lots of figures, which is how I got most of them. The large rotocast guys (like King 100t and Golem Man) are some of my favorites despite the lack of articulation. It really depends what you're into...if you're an articulation nut then you can't go wrong with the solid & articulated figures (Ashuraman, Ramenman Ex, etc). If you're just a fan of the characters, it's neat to have them. The collection as a whole is a pretty great sum of its parts, even if some parts aren't as great as others. Lining them up for these pictures was actually the first time I'd had them all together like that, and it was really cool for me.

#17 NamaNiku

NamaNiku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:10 AM

Really dig the pics of the teams in the scramble arc. Team Mariposa is my fav.
Posted Image

#18 djblizzard

djblizzard

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:57 PM

Really dig the pics of the teams in the scramble arc. Team Mariposa is my fav.

Thanks! Team Big Body's my favorite, even though they got owned.

#19 Bluenote

Bluenote

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

Your collection is very very beautiful!!!!!! :)

#20 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

So many... so wonderful...

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#21 djblizzard

djblizzard

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:25 PM

Thanks guys!

#22 DetectiveFork

DetectiveFork

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

I just saw this thread for the first time and, oh man, I had to put my eyes back in my skull after they popped out of my head!

That is one AMAZING collection, DJBLIZZARD, and seeing them all in one place like that is overwhelmingly cool. I like that you even have rares in there like the Kaikodo exclusives and Monsieur Cheeks, who I've never even seen a toy of before. I have to wonder, are you able to keep these on display anywhere in your house? And also, do you collect one of each character or do you have a lot of the variants, too, just not pictured?

Kevin

#23 djblizzard

djblizzard

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

Kevin - thanks! Currently I'm working on setting up a good display for them, although one day I hope to get some nice glass cases to put them all in.

Once I get my simple display set up I'll snap a few pics.

I had to draw a line somewhere so I decided against getting variants of characters...so I only have my preferred version of each character. Still no Puyo Puyo though...he's hard to track down.

#24 Bagface

Bagface

The Customs Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Reading, Boobs, Video Games, M.U.S.C.L.E men... Just a lot of geekery in general.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

That is an amazing collection!!!

#25 SmokinGun

SmokinGun

Weird, Wild Wrestler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

Very... impressive. Posted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com