Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

LEE'S TOY REVIEW TO DO COMPLETE BB/LB GUIDE!!!

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#1 Darth Monkey

Darth Monkey

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:40 AM

Hey everyone,

As some of you may remember, I'm the one who wrote the Battle Beasts article that appeared in Lee's Toy Review almost two years ago. While many of you hoped for more extensive coverage, I at least made the effort to get as much information and pictures in that small two page article as possible. Well, that move has finally paid off.

I just received an e-mail that Lee's Toy Review is planning to do a FULL BATTLE BEAST AND LASER BEAST PHOTO GUIDE that will appear in issue #160 (the current issue on newsstands is #154, so the review won't appear until six months from now). Now, just so everyone is aware, this is JUST A PHOTO REVIEW!!! I know that there is more information on the toyline now than there was even two years ago when I wrote the story, but it will probably include a brief introduction which I will write and then get right into the most important part, the pictures. The great thing is that, as far as I'm aware, they are going to allow as much space as necessary to put in everything they can. Which brings me to my next point...

I NEED YOUR HELP!!! We have all wanted a full photo review of Battle Beasts in one of the three major action figure collecting publications (the other two being Toyfare and Tomart's), and I think it speaks volumes that Lee's is way ahead of the other two in their desire to do this review. However, I cannot provide a complete collection to be photographed. I have the 76 American BB along with most of the significant variations (though I'm still missing 7 weapons). I also have several LB's, the three bases, the three American chariots, and a few other things. But I am missing several of the LB's (basically, all the rare ones) and most of the rare variants (Stone Cobra, Striped Carp, etc.).

Now, I have seen pictures of some of your collections. I know you guys have this stuff. Of course, the problem is that you would have to send it to Lee's to get it photographed. I can tell you from experience that they handle this with the greatest of care. I sent all the stuff that was photographed for the article that appeared two years ago. I also sent them all of the Celebration III exclusives since I covered that for them this past spring. So if they do photograph your collection, they will take care of it and they will give you credit (unless you wish to remain anonymous). They also have a UPS number so it won't cost you a thing.

Also, another note. I am sure they want to do as complete a review as possible, but space is a consideration. I will fight to see if they will include some TGB customs, because they are very important, but keep in mind, they have the final say.

I will pass along any and all details that I can. If you would like to lend your assistance in putting this together by contributing rarer LB's and such for photography, PLEASE E-MAIL ME (do not PM me) at leach2@tcnj.edu. I will be happy to answer any and all questions.

I am sorry that I'm not a more active member on this board, but please know that I am a very caring and trustworthy person. I did a few trades a while ago on the board and they all went very smoothly. I just do not have the income or time right now to finish out my LB collection or to invest in customs. But please, PLEASE, you guys are too important to leave out of such an historic event in the history of the Battle Beast line!

#2 transformersontheshelf

transformersontheshelf

The Toy Store Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Interests:Toys and Games of all sorts!

Posted 14 September 2005 - 11:48 AM

just make sure to triple check those spelling erorrs that Lee's so comonly let's through. They have butchered more TF names than i'd like to remember!!!

#3 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 03:47 PM

Why can they not just use the photos in the guide? Those are the clearest most laid out photos around! Not to mention, I am working w/ Arforbes to do a complete MOC 1-76 photos for the guide, including the chariots and series 3 multi-packs.

I don't understand why they won't look/attempt to use the photos here in the guide?

I am flattered that you would suggest to them that my TGB's customs be included.

Way to go "RAD!!!"

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D

TGB

#4 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts (I migrated over from the Beastformers boards), the sciences, Baseball (Huge St. Louis Cardinals fan) and of course, women.

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:08 PM

This is definately kick-arse news RAD!! :angry: :(

But I'm inclinded to agree with Marty on this one, why couldn't LEE's just use photos from the toy guide that we got goin' on this website for the photos in the magizine?

I know that they call the shots for what goes on in their publications, but I seriously that any of the members here on the board are gonna be willing to ship out their oober rare pieces to be photographed professionally...
I mean, there's only like 3 or 4 Blue Drills known, not to mention the difficulty level of finding/obtaining the rarer higher numbered LB's... and which member here is gonna be willing to ship those pieces out to be photographed when we could just send them professional quality pictures ourselves?

Best of luck though, I really hope that this artical works out and is as kick-arse as we all hope it will be... I look forward to the issue!!

Also, if at all possible, try and plug this site!! :D
Formally known as Artimus Prime

#5 Darth Monkey

Darth Monkey

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:18 PM

The details at this point are few. They just said to me that they want to do a full BB/LB review. I have to talk it over with them to see exactly what they mean and what they are looking for.

Most magazines like to have their own photography done, even if they have to commission collections for photography as I am doing in this case. There's no doubt that the pictures on this site are great, but they may want them formatted a certain way, or they may want to get certain close ups. I remember when they took pictures for my story they actually got pictures of what the orbs looked like for the Laser Beasts. I have no doubt that they will do a bang-up job.

I already have one member (not sure he wants to be mentioned so I will keep him anonymous) who has offered to send his collection for photography pending further details.

As far as UBER rare items like the Blue Drill, this is what I have to discuss with Lee's. Once I know more details, I will definitely pass them along. Like I said, this may not be a COMPLETE COMPLETE review (will they want to include the Greek beasts? test shots? bootlegs? Six Flags rip-offs? customs?), but I definitely think that it will have #1-#112 with all major variations covered.

#6 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 06:18 PM

They are welcome to use the photos in our guide as long as they give us a plus at the bottom of each of the picture pages. Something like "Pictures courtesy of Beastformers.com" or something like that.

#7 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 11:54 AM

If Lees want to use photo of my Euro shields from the guide no problem. But I will never send them to anyone again. I have already sent them to Marty and it's so much worries (not about Marty but about post officers and lost that could occur)

Sylvain

Edited by lord, 15 September 2005 - 11:56 AM.

#8 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 01:29 PM

Well the idea of a spread in Lee's is a great way to get our favorite little gus some publicity! Who knows what kind of response it may bring! A for pictures I would hope Lees would be flexible and use the graet pictures in the guide to enhance what they are able to photograph on their own. If anything maybe they could send a photographer over to Godbeast's pad or something to take pictures.

#9 Yom

Yom

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 03:46 AM

I simply have not any of the rarest beasts... :angry:
But I would be interested to get the Lee's Toy Review #160... I don't know how... but i would love to see it. :D
Ready for battle
Posted Image

#10 Bermuda Mohawk

Bermuda Mohawk

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 07:04 PM

*Back from a 5 week vacation from the internet *

The reason Lee's won't, or rather can't use the photos from the site is becuase of the formats they print in. Most publishers requrie minimum of 300dpi for pics, most prefer using 600. The photos in the checklist are set at only 72dpi, which is perfect for the net, but when it comes to printing will look grainy and distorted.

Even if you take the photos into Photoshop and up the dpi, you will help, but still not acheive the level of quality you'd get by taking film based photos and scanning them in at a higher resolution.
--Dave

#11 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts (I migrated over from the Beastformers boards), the sciences, Baseball (Huge St. Louis Cardinals fan) and of course, women.

Posted 17 September 2005 - 10:03 PM

dpi = Dots Per Inch? Or Dots Per inch squared?

#12 Bermuda Mohawk

Bermuda Mohawk

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:01 PM

dpi = Dots Per Inch? Or Dots Per inch squared?

Dots Per Inch
--Dave

#13 trumanshower

trumanshower

Eternal Truman of the spotless mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1384 posts
  • Interests:dragonautes, monster in my pocket, fistful of power, motu, cosmix, luxioles etc etc...

Posted 18 September 2005 - 07:24 AM

i completely agree with the guys who don't want to send away their rare BB/LB' s stuff, and i also agree with Lee's who pay guys to put the photos of their review...
i think the best would be either to find a BB collector living near the Lee's departement, and who could go there with his collection, or organizing a collectors meeting where you invite Lee's photograph...
anyway, i maybe know a place in Lille where i would find the Lee's review, i'll try to know if they would be able to have it ( je vais me renseigner, et si ils peuvent en avoir, je vous tiendrai informé, chers collectionneurs français, comme ça si vous ne réussissez pas à le trouver, je pourrai p-etre vous en avoir). I need this review!!!

edit : i'd also like to know in which lee's toy review # was the aticle about BB/LB by run amuck duck 2 years ago, thanks :ph34r:

Edited by trumanshower, 18 September 2005 - 07:36 AM.

French collector of Battle Beasts, Monster in my pocket and a bunch of other toys !!
FoP facebook page : https://www.facebook.../fistfulofpower

Boogaz facebook group : https://www.facebook...810983082984202

#14 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 10:32 AM

Hey, if Lee's wanted to send a guy out to take photos of my stuff...NO PROBLEM.

I am sure many of us in the USA would ship our international friends an issue for actual cost of the mag and actual shipping. :ph34r:

I will do this for anyone who wants me to.

TGB

#15 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 11:21 AM

Ok, I have had a TON of requests for these scans and info. Here is the first BB/LB article in Lee's #131 September 2003.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 roland13

roland13

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 02:40 PM

That's Cool, Bit hard on the eyes. But thanks for posting it Marty.

Eaon

#17 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 05:43 PM

That's Cool, Bit hard on the eyes. But thanks for posting it Marty.

Eaon

You SHOULD be able to save the photos to your hard drive, then increase their size in word or windows, in order to read.

TGB

#18 Bermuda Mohawk

Bermuda Mohawk

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 08:49 PM

Just read GB' s sans, and one thing that REALLY needs to be laid to rest and maybe even stressed:

NO BEASTS WERE EVER SOLD IN JAPAN WITH TRANSFORMERS RUB SYMBOLS!

Sorry, but that rumor needs to die.
--Dave

#19 transformersontheshelf

transformersontheshelf

The Toy Store Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 08:52 PM

Just read GB' s sans, and one thing that REALLY needs to be laid to rest and maybe even stressed:

no, but the Beastformers were.....I'm realy sure on this one :ph34r: please, i don't need more culture shock here (just found out about the whole greek beasts thing).

#20 Bermuda Mohawk

Bermuda Mohawk

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 09:57 PM

no, but the Beastformers were.....

No. They were not.
--Dave

#21 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 10:17 PM

What would lay the rumor to rest is if anyone has a Battle Beast/Beastformer with an Autobot/Decepticon rub on it... which I doubt if anybody does.

#22 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:04 AM

What would lay the rumor to rest is if anyone has a Battle Beast/Beastformer with an Autobot/Decepticon rub on it... which I doubt if anybody does.

And that is about as possiable as finding an American Sunburst Pack with a BB with the Sunburst. :ph34r:

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#23 transformersontheshelf

transformersontheshelf

The Toy Store Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:31 AM

aight my bad, lol. What did the japanese beastformers have on thier chests then?

#24 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 07:37 AM

aight my bad, lol. What did the japanese beastformers have on thier chests then?

Fire, wood or Water rubs.

#25 Darth Monkey

Darth Monkey

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 08:53 AM

Yeah, that was the one MAJOR error I made and I regret. It's still very cool to see my first published article.

ANYWAY...I have some updates! I have gotten in touch with a forum member, and between the two of us and the items that Lee's already has in their collection, we should get a very complete photo guide.

They have decided not to include bootlegs or customs in the guide. HOWEVER, customs WILL be featured in the issue! More on that as it develops and I get in touch with some people.

And thanks for explaining the whole DPI thing.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com