• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 LethalWhip

LethalWhip

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Transformers, G.I.Joe, Star Wars, Battle Beasts, and Gormiti.

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:44 PM

Well I thought I was saving up for more Gormiti.... but dang the GiJoe movie hotties figures are awesome.

Edited by LethalWhip, 20 July 2009 - 01:10 AM.

#2 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:57 PM

So far I've heard good things about these figures, but I haven't seen them in person yet. I may get the chance tomorrow if I'm in town.

Posted Image

#3 majinmoo

majinmoo

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:15 PM

Only one I'm not feeling is the Cobra Commander. That figure looks to much like Dr. Doom to me. Other than him that line is way better than I expected.

#4 skippy2003

skippy2003

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:29 PM

Haven't seen them yet but I'm not expecting much. The 25th reissues were great but I'm not really looking forward to the movie figures.

#5 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:35 PM

Targets really seem to like the Rise of Cobra stuff. I have a feeling that may bite them in the ass, because that movie is not going to fare well. You can here the tentpole crashing already.

Anyway, I've seen a bunch of them already and was mildly impressed. At this point, Hasbro could sell 3.75" scaled shizznit and profit, but it's not even that. They really took the lessons learned from the 25th line to heart. The normal Snake-Eyes in particular caught my eye, but I may have dodged a bullet there (the head sculpt, mainly) and was referred to the Paris Pursuit version instead. The asstacular launcher for the standard version didn't help.

I've also read very conflicting reviews of both Scarlett and Baroness. I don't care enough to dig deeper. :D

#6 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:41 PM

i've been seeing these everywhere now and i have to say i dont care for them at all. blah.

#7 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:48 PM

i saw these today at target. they had the standard size gi joes and then also slightly larger 6" figures. i was in a rush so i couldn't examine them too closely. i picked up (to look at) a standard snake eyes and destro. both looked pretty good. although the movie destro is an abomination and a disgrace to the classic destro, had the figure been named something else like a unique character i would have thought it was very cool. i'll have to take another trip out there tomorrow and get a real good look at all the joe movie shizznit and then make a decision.

Edited by dankingery, 11 July 2009 - 07:48 PM.

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#8 LethalWhip

LethalWhip

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:26 AM

Well I had written off the new movie and the toys months ago. But when I went into Target Friday morning I was blown out of the water. For one thing I am impressed by seeing the majority of the Joes in "uniform". I think it's much cooler that a military team wear a uniform than all the hodge-podge outfits they wore in the original line. I thought it was cool to finally see a Storm Shadow on the shelf with out a mask. The Paris Pursuit Snake Eyes with the hooded trenchcoat was cool as well. I think Scarlet, Cover Girl, and Baroness were all done up well. I passed on the Neo Viper, Neo Viper Commando, and Arctic Viper. I passed on all the vehicles since they were priced through the roof. Although I'm undecided about this new appearence for Cobra Commander, I thought it would go well with Destro and Baroness so I bought it. It also reminds me of a later edition of CC that had a an orange translucent faceplace, which I liked. I passed on Ripcord, Heavy Duty, and Duke since none of them were in uniform. I also passed on Sgt. Stone, Shipwreck, Deep Six, and Breaker... of these I only really didn't like Breaker, although I may get all four if the price is right. I feel even if the movie is a flop, the toys are done well enough that they will sell. Although I did see stuff at the handful of stores I visited I didn't think any of the stores had gone overboard on selection except maybe the floor display for Walmart. The other stores seemed to have a moderate amount of toys. Lastly I was impressed by both Hawk and Zartan, Hawk because of the uniform, and Zartan had always been one of my favorites but I didn't think he'd be in the movie. I think they managed to capture the essence of Zartan without going overboard with the black eye tattoos, instead it seemed more like scarring. I am now only waiting for a sale and to see the Helix figure.

#9 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:02 PM

Gave these a good look over at Target today. They look put together well, but except for Snake Eyes, they just don't scream Joe to me. Are we sure this isn't "The Corp" movie?

#10 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:27 PM

I have seen these several times at Target now and the conclusion i've come to is that they are good figures of terrible versions of the characters. If that makes any sense. Like, i like Skeletor but i wouldn't buy a well-made Skeletor figure that was just some dude in jeans and a t-shirt. Same for the "Zartan" figure that's just some jerk in fatigues.

I agree with the sentiment that they basically look like Corps figures.

And man, what is with the tiny vehicles that are $25!! I have FIVE vintage HISS Tanks and haven't paid more than like $10 for any of them. :lol:
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#11 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:28 PM

Unless they were Jordache Jeans. Skeletor likes Jordache Jeans.

#12 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:35 PM

Unless they were Jordache Jeans. Skeletor likes Jordache Jeans.

Well yeah, that's the one exception.
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#13 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:06 PM

Well, I finally got to see these today, and made sure I got a good look at most everyone.

I have to say, I'm not impressed, but I'm not dismissing the line either! I think the majority were very well done!

What did I like about them? I like that they mostly weren't just rehashed appearances of original figures and characters. Most were new and original. So some of them aren't exactly what we expected, like Cobra. But he still looked cool and like a fun toy. I also liked how Hasbro kept true to the original toys...it appears to me they mainly pulled from the early 90's BIG MISSILE launcher faze. I liked that. They didn't just make Movie based figures, they made them Movie based toys! Most of the paint apps looked pretty good too. I also appreciated the slight scale differences in some characters like Heavy Duty. I was very tempted to buy a few of these things to uh.. play with. But a few things completely turned me off.

The ladies would have been a must buy for me, but they were all pretty hideous... I don't know why Hasbro has such a hard time designing female characters bodies and faces, but they always have. Crap the Japanese can do it! Come on Hasbro you can do better than that...apparently not. I mean the Male sculpts were all decent, but the girls. They all looked emaciated. Baroness would probably have been the one I went with though. A few stores like Target were having special sales on them so they were in some cases $2 bucks cheaper. I think the cheapest I saw them was $6.99, and the highest was $8.99.

But mostly they looked fun, and the toys give me pretty high hopes for the film. I refuse to see the TF 2 film due to my complete distaste for the first. I will watch it if a friend of mine has it, but I will not pay for it. I think the joe movie will be alright...the guy from the mummy did it, so it should be at least entertaining in some spots. I never could sit through any of the Mummy films completely though.

Edited by Universal Ruler Supreme, 15 July 2009 - 09:07 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:31 PM

I will watch it if a friend of mine has it, but I will not pay for it. I think the joe movie will be alright...the guy from the mummy did it, so it should be at least entertaining in some spots. I never could sit through any of the Mummy films completely though.

The first Mummy movie was tolerable, but the important thing to remember is that this is also the guy who directed Van Helsing. *shudder*

In his entire career he's never made a *good* film, i can't figure out how he ended up with what should've been a huge summer tentpole movie.
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#15 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:34 AM

I had forgotten about van helsing....thanks scummy, now my hopes plummeted a couple points. :huh:

Posted Image

#16 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:22 PM

i'd like to retract my first statement that i think these figs are cool. got a much better look at them today and have decided that they are not good. i think what really sealed the deal was the zartan figure. holy shizznit it was awful. the larger 6" figures are more of an anime style design. not really my cup of sobe (tea's nasty). the new combat heroes based on the movie figures are maybe the closest thing to purchasable. but that is only limited to the snake eyes fig. the rest are pretty meh.

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#17 LethalWhip

LethalWhip

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:06 AM

Funny it was Zartan that clinched it for me as far as movie figures go. Ironically, it was the first Zartan in the 25th anniversary line that made me decide not to collect them.

#18 LethalWhip

LethalWhip

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:09 AM

Movie figures went on sale at Toys R Us for 2/$9.99. So I returned most the figures & doubles I got at Target and bought figures on sale, got $2 back per figure. I also picked up Shipwreck, Breaker, and Deepsix. Now I have some money for Gormiti :)

#19 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:51 AM

Already giving them away, huh? Surely this means they're doing well and more waves are on the way! :lol:
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#20 gammo

gammo

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:49 PM

Same for the "Zartan" figure that's just some jerk in fatigues.

Ha! So true. I really didn't like the Zartan figure.

As far as the TRU sale goes, it allows you to make the "ideal" Snake Eyes. Just combine lips snake eyes w/ trenchcoat snake eyes. swap heads, add sword and wolf, etc.

Posted Image

#21 misterdroid

misterdroid

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:23 PM

Some of the figures are great. the TRU exclusive Firefly is awesome. Better than the Hall of Heroes version, which I thought was great. Also, the Destro is awesome. I swapped his painted head for a chromed one I had lying around, and is my definitive version of Destro. I also like the MARS troopers... not really feeling the cobra troopers.
I can't wait for these to go on sale. I am going to use a lot of the Joes as greenshirts to man positions on the Flagg. may use some of the Duke in desert gear as troop builders... I need someone to fight my cobra army!

Posted Image

#22 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:58 PM

That's...that's a pretty good Cobra army. I could use numbers like that to man my Terrordrome!

Personally though on these movie figures, i'm just looking forward to them crashing down to the $1-2 mark so i can buy 'em for guns and stands for my Marvel Universe collection, like i'm doing with the Terminator Salvation figures right now. :pinch:
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#23 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:44 AM

So they are on sale right now? :pinch: I'll have to try and avoid them at all cost....I can't justify buying cool sale figures at the expense of my MU collecting right now. :p

Posted Image

#24 gammo

gammo

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:59 AM

Posted Image

Holy sh¡t. That's great! Looks like a huge investment.

I love it.

#25 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:22 AM

Already giving them away, huh? Surely this means they're doing well and more waves are on the way! :D

In all fairness, Toys"R"Us has been doing the same kind of sale for the other movie toylines. Terminator, Star Trek and X-Men Origins in particular, and two or three different comparable sales for Transformers.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com