5 replies to this topic

#1 Exactobeast

Exactobeast

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:08 AM

Working on my first custom LB.  It doesn't have an orb.  Just wondering what is best to use.  Size seems a bit too small for a marble. 

#2 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters minis!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:21 AM

There are some craft marbles that are smaller than regular playing/collecting marbles.  They are pretty plain, sold in bulk, and designed to be strata in floral vases, etc.

Other than that, maybe pick out a cool bead.

Either way, head to a craft store like Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

#3 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:34 PM

I make castings of laserbeast orbs if you want a recast to use.

And they aren't marbles, they are cylinders with a rounded end.

Edited by Ericnilla, 24 February 2016 - 04:36 PM.

#4 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:42 PM

And they aren't marbles, they are cylinders with a rounded end.

yep, specifically they're a cylinder with a rounded cap on one end, and a tiny hollow space underneath where the printed symbol nests. I've yet to fuss with one long enough to see if it's possible to get the cap off (surely would require breaking it) but it seems like it should be do-able. Casting something that worked that way would be difficult though I think, if not just making it in a resin clear enough to be able to see through.

I do have some of Eric's recasts and can confirm that they fill the space perfectly though. And for what it's worth, you can take the orb out of a beast and put it back in with damaging it at all using the hot water/ hair dryer method and pushing firmly through the hole on the back of the figure using a toothpick or something similar. There's a lip around the edge of it that will offer resistance but as long as you have the rubber heated the orb will "pop" out and back in quite easily.

Edited by bachamn, 24 February 2016 - 04:46 PM.

#5 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:57 PM

I do have some of Eric's recasts and can confirm that they fill the space perfectly though. And for what it's worth, you can take the orb out of a beast and put it back in with damaging it at all using the hot water/ hair dryer method and pushing firmly through the hole on the back of the figure using a toothpick or something similar. There's a lip around the edge of it that will offer resistance but as long as you have the rubber heated the orb will "pop" out and back in quite easily.

Are orbs something you can commonly find?

My local shop has a bunch of laser beasts, (with weapons no less!), but they're all missing orbs, and one of them is missing his arm. 

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#6 Exactobeast

Exactobeast

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:44 PM

Draznar, any idea how much those LB run for? Broken beasts are my specialty.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com