• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mondo7

Mondo7

Getting back into collecting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Rebuilding/finding my original mimp collection.

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:39 PM

Hi, Can anyone clear up a couple of questions about New Jersey Arcade? I keep coming across references to it while I'm looking for mimp info.
Am I right in thinking game arcade? Video games? I never really encountered game arcades growing up unless we went to the coast and we didn't have any locally. They sort of seemed old fashioned even back then. I grew up with Nes and Master Systems so I guess there was no real incentive to seek them out.
Which leads to my next question- how big of a promotion was it? It just seems amazing to me that they would supply premium colours for one localised promotion when they could send them out nationwide in cereal boxes.
It's really interesting finding out that certain colours were specific to countries or promotions. Back when mimp first came out I never even considered that it would be twenty odd years later that there would something like a definitive list.

#2 wizard

wizard

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Action figures

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:11 PM

I was thinking the same thing today, why would they make just one series of pink and blue Mimp for one location
Collecting: MIMP, OMFG, FOP, DC direct, LEGO

#3 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts
  • Interests:Collecting MIMP and playing Fantasy Baseball.

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:41 PM

As far as we can all tell they were only released in regional arcades close to one of the US MIMP factories. It is possible that they made it elsewhere, but New Jersey has been where most of the rare US MIMP were found. 

My MIMP Resource site: http://mimpcollective.weebly.com

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#4 cassel87

cassel87

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:13 PM

I live in nj and have found rare mimp colors a few times in the wild

if my turtles ate my toys, id have to eat my turtles

#5 Mondo7

Mondo7

Getting back into collecting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Rebuilding/finding my original mimp collection.

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:51 AM

In that case it makes more sense then that they went to multiple arcades. I would have loved a promo like this. I think we got a couple of mimp promotions in the UK.

#6 PaulEWog116

PaulEWog116

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:44 PM

Keep in mind that Matchbox is based out of NJ. In my opinion it is likely that the arcade got a hold of them as un-released overstock after the line died out. I am not saying that as fact; its just a plausible theory. Probably the same reason why some "unproduced" color/sculpt combos have been found in lots from NJ.

On that note, the Blue Cyclops is my unicorn preventing me from completing my full matchbox set. If anyone has one for sale please PM me. It's been my only missing figure for nearly two years,

I live in nj and have found rare mimp colors a few times in the wild

Interesting. Care to share?

See my collection on Instagram. @Paul.Sewell.14

#7 Sydot

Sydot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:14 PM

I know that Robert Bruce dude has a bunch of series 1 neons he says he got from the factory and he is NJ based. I got some of my series 1 neons from him and he had tons of them in identical sealed 3 packs i believe. He had a limited amount of fig/color combos but you could tell by the volume he as and the way they are packaged that they are not from stores. 

www.instagram.com/sydot_toys

#8 PaulEWog116

PaulEWog116

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:34 PM

I know that Robert Bruce dude has a bunch of series 1 neons he says he got from the factory and he is NJ based. I got some of my series 1 neons from him and he had tons of them in identical sealed 3 packs i believe. He had a limited amount of fig/color combos but you could tell by the volume he as and the way they are packaged that they are not from stores. 

Neons aren't necessarily rare though. Only certain ones are.  And do you mean 4-packs? They came in 4 and 12 pks.

#9 Sydot

Sydot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:58 PM

Pic is from his Instagram. The bags are full of like 3 packs of figs from the factory each pack is 3 sculpts of the same color . Could be 4 but I thought it was 3.

Nothing rare, just wanted to illustrate the fact that it seems stuff made it out if the factory locally.

Attached Files

www.instagram.com/sydot_toys

#10 wizard

wizard

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Action figures

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:00 AM

There must be more neon pinks and blues out there...
Collecting: MIMP, OMFG, FOP, DC direct, LEGO

#11 PaulEWog116

PaulEWog116

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 01:04 PM

Pic is from his Instagram. The bags are full of like 3 packs of figs from the factory each pack is 3 sculpts of the same color . Could be 4 but I thought it was 3.

Nothing rare, just wanted to illustrate the fact that it seems stuff made it out if the factory locally.

I see what you mean now. Those baggies were what came inside of the 12 packs. they basically tossed in baggies of 3-4 figures of a prearranged color and sculpt assortment and two loose plus the windowed figure to equal 12 figures in the pack. 

I wonder if he has any standard color packs like that, I wouldn't mind having a look at those.

Edited by PaulEWog116, 30 October 2016 - 01:06 PM.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com