• This topic is locked This topic is locked
117 replies to this topic

#1 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 10:14 AM

I am going to hold a M.U.S.C.L.E. Con this coming summer in Sacramento, CA.

Regardless of how many people actually show up, there will still be one that takes place.

The date is uncertain, but it will be a one day event. Most likely in August, but that is NOT set in stone (or even wet cement at this point). Pricing at the door, as well as convention events remain to be decided upon, as they will be tied into one another.

Plan ahead, save your money for it. The biggest expense you will have will no doubtedly be travel expenses.

Anyone who wishes to help out, I would greatly appreciate it. We will use Darrin's list as a starting point, as well as the first MUSCLE Con thread on this board.

I can't wait. Hopefully, it will pay for itself, but if not, there will still be one.

There will be a MUSCLE Con Updates section added to this board or the AKIA, (I'm not sure which yet) to keep everyone informed of the updates.

MUSCLE Con 2003 - Finally! (Dreams do come true!)

#2 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts
  • Interests:Muscle men, and Kinnikuman

Posted 29 August 2002 - 10:26 AM

I'm there,
I am only about two hours away from Sacramento too, which makes me an easy participant. I'd like to help, keep me posted. I could not make the trip last time but I would like to drive up sometime and talk about this. We have talked about muscles being sold at conventions and stuff, so are we setting a fair price if muscles are to be sold there? Just wondering. If so, i am going to start winning all the large lots I can off of ebay ha ha. How are the booths going to be set up? What types of items can be sold? Is there a list of rules that we have to follow? I am extrememly interested in this. I mayb have to sneak some valium into my wife's sushi to get her to come but I think it will be hella cool. You had mentioned it is going to be kind of pricey for all that wanted to help, so can I get an idea of how much money we need. Do I need to start going to the blood, and sperm banks here in Reno? I need more info!!! Where, how big, do we need to reserve a booth crap like that? How much per head for people to come? I do not think muscle is as popular as we would like it to be so getting people to come and pay for something like this might be hard. Although I am sure with K2 coming out it will be more popular than it is now. I am not going to lie, I just wet my pants thinking about it. Ok so I did lie. But I am excited. Keep us informed damn you. Keep up the good work Johnny. Speaking of Darrin, will he be there? Ok, I can't breathe, I am leaving.

#3 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 10:56 AM

I'm not crazy about price caps, I think it would be great to leave that to the individual vendors.
We will have vendor booths. I'd like to get Mattel, Bandai, hasbro, etc to go. I'm sure that by early next year we will have a HUGE toyline to support the con. Yes, they will need to be reserved. I'm not sure how many, but the venue is pretty good sized.
No rules yet, except the golden one.
I would like to keep it a good mix of the original kinnikuman line (Japanese) and the american versions.
I'm not asking for $$$ from people who want to help, but rather time. Help getting vendors allocated, ideas, brainstorming. Help setting up and cleaning up, etc. I can manage the funding apect of it.
Pricing should be between $20 and $50 or so. Not sure yet. Depends on the amount of content and stuff there. But I'd like to keep it as reasonable as possible.
The cartoon will stir up alot of interest in the line, so I'm sure next summer there will be aq healthy following, but until we see how the cartoon is accepted in the States, we can't really depend on that.

And lastly, if Darrin can't make it, it would be a great tragedy, But I'm sure he wouldn't miss it for the world.

#4 Adamantiumwulf

Adamantiumwulf

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1900 posts
  • Interests:Sega Master System and Segas other Consoles and games., Legos
    Transformers
    Baseball cards
    various action figures

Posted 29 August 2002 - 11:04 AM

I know that flying from coast to coast usually runs at least 250 a ticket. Thats if ticket prices dont drop or go thru the roof.

I have never flown into sacramento, but have flown into and out of San Jose, San Fransico, and Oakland. From there your looking at a 4 or 5 hour drive(depending on the amount of lead foot on the petal).

I can try and schedule my vist with my folks so that I can try and make it.

Depending on how big m.u.s.c.l.e. gets what are the possible locations of the con. I mean small hotel ,the mariot, a convention center?
"I've always believed that a lot of the trouble in the world would disappear if we were talking to each other instead of about each other." Ronald Regan - April 11, 1984

#5 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 11:09 AM

I'm not asking for $$$ from people who want to help, but rather time. Help getting vendors allocated, ideas, brainstorming. Help setting up and cleaning up, etc. I can manage the funding apect of it.
Pricing should be between $20 and $50 or so. Not sure yet. Depends on the amount of content and stuff there.

Your going to fund the $3000+ for this all by yourself? Damn your brave. Although alot of money will be made back by vendors renting booth s I assume. Speaking of, how much for a booth? I will sell sushi, and mountain dew along with muscle and kinnikuman stuff.

As far as the pricing goes 20-50 per visitor? I think that is high, unless however, K2 catches on like muscle did, or even more now that it will have a cartoon to go with all the merchandise.

#6 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 11:12 AM

I have never flown into sacramento, but have flown into and out of San Jose, San Fransico, and Oakland. From there your looking at a 4 or 5 hour drive(depending on the amount of lead foot on the petal).

Form San Jose Airport or San Francisco Airport, it is 1.5 to 2 hrs.
Oakland would be slightly less of a drive.

#7 Adamantiumwulf

Adamantiumwulf

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1900 posts
  • Interests:Sega Master System and Segas other Consoles and games., Legos
    Transformers
    Baseball cards
    various action figures

Posted 29 August 2002 - 11:21 AM

I was thinking from where my folks live it is about 3 hours to Sac. forgeting that i have to go north to get to san jose , oakland and san fran I need to take a longer vaction next year. I am loseing my senceof direction in Cali.

so will there be a M.U.S.C.L.E. shuttle to pick us up fromt he airport?
"I've always believed that a lot of the trouble in the world would disappear if we were talking to each other instead of about each other." Ronald Regan - April 11, 1984

#8 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 02:01 PM

so will there be a M.U.S.C.L.E. shuttle to pick us up fromt he airport?

That's an idea worth thinking about......

#9 Doctor Dew

Doctor Dew

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 02:44 PM

first of all: HELL YA!
this is the type of topic i like to return to the Board and see!
I almost wet my pants myself.....
That is so so very sweet. Great Johnny, simply great...
Even if it is only 20 or so people, i think it would be cool. Especially if the new cartoon takes off. man that is exciting news....

I will sell sushi, and mountain dew along with muscle and kinnikuman stuff.

Then I will be buying sushi and Mountain Dew.
But if we(the board members) could get a little table at some other con i think that would be a greta idea as well. like Nathan said in the other Muscle con topic, have a little laptop and brochures and some figures etc... kind of a giant advertisement for the upcoming convention.

i will be happy to help but it may be a few weeks (see "School" topic under Sandbox).

Until then, right on and dreams do come true............

#10 MUSCLETOYS

MUSCLETOYS

Happily stuck in the past

• Legends
  • 355 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Keshi, Minifigs, Baseball Cards, Travel, Disc Golf, Bigfoot, Pizza, Beer

Posted 29 August 2002 - 09:39 PM

Sorry I didn't jump on this thread awhile sooner. (new job's been keeping me busy) Anyhoo... A M.U.S.C.L.E. Con has always been a dream of mine, it's just really never seemed at all possible... up until now. If I was throwing the convention, I personally would like to see a bit bigger fan base for the toyline, but then again, that's me. I don't like to gamble, and I like dealing with absolutes. One way you could probably make it work, is by having advance ticket sales. If the event would put you in the poor house, you could always refund $'s. Another way to help fund it, would be to have a multi-con. For instance... a M.U.S.C.L.E./Kinnikuman/MadBalls Convention. Toylines that are closely linked, or toylines that are linked to a certain age group. i.e; Thundercats, Go-Bots, Silver Hawks, etc. I don't mean to play Devils Advocate, so let me move on to the fun part.. Brainstorming....

Who wouldn't like to eat MUSCLE Man's favorite food... Beef Gyudon ( i believe that's what it was ) Or we could have a (MUSSEL) Bake. Someone could even dress up like Curry Cook and serve people!

Items could be sold which are exclusive to the con such as Tee's, Hats, Mugs, Bumper Stickers, etc.

How cool would it be to have a Kinnikuman or M.U.S.C.L.E. Costume Contest? How bout' awards for catagories such as largest collection...
rarest American item, rarest Kinnikuman item etc.

Step Ladder Tournaments... Whether it's using the original MUSCLE ring, or modified rings. Heck... there might be card games or video games out by then as well.

Ever wonder how cool it would be to have a lifeize M.U.S.C.L.E. Mega Match Game to play on? One team could wear Green Shirts, the other... Purple.

Japanese cuisine would deffinatley go over good.

Well.... I could go on all night like this. It's been years that I've been day dreaming about this. If I were independently wealthy, I'd throw a con that you wouldn't believe, even if only a dozen people came. Maybe if I hit the lotto this weekend! Well, thanks for listening, it'll be interesting to see how this thread develops.
Cheers
:p

#11 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 09:43 PM

I think most of this stuff can happen at the Con. Hell, most of that list Darrin put together a while back can happen. The only variables would be getting the big vendors/celebrities to come.

Keep the suggestions coming............

#12 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 10:20 PM

I'll be there if I can (PLEEEEEASE schedue it before college starts again!)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 05:45 AM

I suggest having an area with chairs and a TV/VCR where people could watch tapes of Kinnikuman: Ultimate Muscle. Also, if somebody has copies of the original Kinnikuman series, they could be played as well.

-Nathan

#14 ploid

ploid

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 06:09 AM

:D I will come it is about a 11 hour drive from me but that would be worth it.

#15 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 01:38 PM

I suggest having an area with chairs and a TV/VCR where people could watch tapes of Kinnikuman: Ultimate Muscle. Also, if somebody has copies of the original Kinnikuman series, they could be played as well.

-Nathan

Awesome! I was thinking about NES roms on a few pc's also. :D

#16 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 01:56 PM

Can we have a dunk tank, and put Doc Dew in it?

#17 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 05:19 PM

Hey guys, keep the ideas coming!
For now, check out all the latest for the Con over at the AKIA
http://www.kinnikuman.com

#18 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 12:16 PM

I'll have to say, I am pretty excited about this, I put some Muscle Con info on my for sale page. Not much, just more of an advertisement. Or a rooster tease since it is not for a year ha ha. I look forward to meeting all that can come, I feel we are all already buds, but to meet in person would be sweet. Can we have a bunch of Cute Japanese girls dance around in skimpy clothes? I am going to sell Muscle thongs, and have my wife model them (umm... maybe not, she'd kill me just for asking).

#19 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 12:18 PM

rooster tease ahahahahahahahahahahaha just so you guys know I did not type rooster, but it did make me chuckle. Johnny, are you responsible for these sensors?

#20 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 01:10 PM

Johnny,
I just read all that you had posted about Muscle con on your website, I guess I have a few things to change on mine now. That sounds awesome. So who are these 5 muscle beauties? Just wondering, considering I was thinking of having my wife weara thong ha ha. Also, I am going to kick all of your asses out of the ring, nobody is safe.

#21 Krangala

Krangala

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 06:03 AM

This is a great idea, and I totally hope it takes off!!!

Transformers have Bot Con

GI Joe has a convention every year.....

I think He-man has a convention

and now MUSCLE...I really hope it takes off, and actually turns some heads over at Mattel and/or Bandai.......

maybe once it snowballs into something HUGE, we could start getting Convention Exclusive figures and whatnot.......just like those spoiled Transfans!!!

#22 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 07:55 AM

Semi-update. Things are at a standstill right now, until I lock down a date. Once that is done, I can secure the venue and get it rolling on towards MC2003. I'll have a confirmed date by Thanksgiving AT THE LATEST! But make sure you start saving now. Plane fare is going to be a bee-eye-itch if you live back east.

#23 EVOM

EVOM

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 01:41 PM

NOTHIN BUT LOVE FOR YA JOHNNY, NOTHIN BUT LOVE! We have all waited so long for this!!! Imagine all the trading that will be going on there! I also think that it would be a good idea if some other related toy lines would be thrown in the mix as well. I hope it would be before school starts too. My friend would like to go with me, even though he does not collect m.u.s.c.l.e.s. He`s in college, and for us to come from south Florida to Sacramento for just one day would be too exspensive. We`d like to make it into a road trip and see the great west as well as MC2003!!!! So please try to have it before late August if possible! I also vote for Japanese women in skimpy clothes being there!!! Let all of us know if You need donations to fly them in!!!!! :rolleyes:

#24 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 09:33 AM

For the costume contest.....I found some kewl concepts....

Attached Files

#25 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2002 - 10:23 AM

Wow that sounds cool, but too pricey for me. Michigan to California would break the bank for me. Plus I’ve got to save money for Celebration 3 (Star Wars). The old lady would flip out if I were going to 2 huge conventions.

Good Luck!

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com