Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

My Battle Beasts project (art and possible fic/comic)

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 GammaJetpunch

GammaJetpunch

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 06:39 PM

I have begun to plan out my take on Battle Beasts. Much like how Transformers has broadened its horizons with Transformers: Animated and Transformers: Prime, I wish to do the same with Battle Beasts.

The feel I'm trying to attain is parts Legend of Legaia, parts Avatar: The Last Airbender, parts Monster Rancher (the anime, not the game), and Parts Digimon.
Now, first and foremost, my work isn't entirely canon (character placement, some lands/kngdoms, whose good and whose bad). In fact, MUCH like Transformers: Animated and Transformers: Prime, it's a reinvention of the franchise, without completely deviating what it is sourced from. Second, the artwork I do post IS mine! Yes, I am drawing up character designs. I'm also currently reworking up a world map of planet Beest (Yeah, I decided to go with Beet as the planet's name, instead of Beast, but mind you it IS canon, enough).

Please, post your thoughts either there (the second link), or here. PLEASE give me your thoughts on this, and any means of assistance if you feel at all inspired to assist me.

Edited by GammaJetpunch, 25 January 2011 - 11:34 PM.

#2 GammaJetpunch

GammaJetpunch

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:04 PM

27 views and NO feedback?!

I must assure you all that this project is not some trick. I do want to work on this, maybe make it into either a workable story, or a comic.

Or... is it that you'd prefer that I dispatch my info HERE? I can readily do that, but I figured I was being nice by hooking you all up with a link from where I began posting. But... say the word, and I'll post it all up here as well.

Edited by GammaJetpunch, 26 December 2010 - 06:17 PM.

#3 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:58 PM

I wish you the best of luck with this. I have a Battle Beast fictional background story myself "in the vaults". I had a good time writing it as the property deserves a reboot .

Edited by Articulationnut, 26 December 2010 - 06:58 PM.

Divide & conquer works because of attachments people make to push-button issues, individual "leaders," parties, clans, tribes, policies, or agendas, leaving them open to manipulation.

#4 GammaJetpunch

GammaJetpunch

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:07 PM

I wish you the best of luck with this. I have a Battle Beast fictional background story myself "in the vaults". I had a good time writing it as the property deserves a reboot .

Could you at least tell me your thoughts on what you think about what I've done?

EDIT: Thank you for your input. And yeah, my question was a little rude, and I'm sorry for that (someone voted my post down, but I deserved it).

Actually, I'd shown this to another friend of mine, and he said that he was intrigued by the mixed use of wildlife and technology (the environments), and it did harbor some bleak feel (Crooked Crow and the Shadowlands, and War Weasel and the Cybernetic Elite, and how he "recruits" them)

Also, Digimon wasn't always light-heated: Just look at the D-Reaper arc in Digimon Tamers.

Edited by GammaJetpunch, 27 December 2010 - 12:32 PM.

#5 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:35 AM

Sure..i think the varied manifestations of the elemental powers that you've included in your fiction is a nice addition that should have been included in the original properties background. Having a beast manifest their control over water in the form of ice, mist, or full blown torrents of water and in varying degree's of strength gives the characters depth which they lacked in the original fiction.

With regard to your inspirations ...Avatar : The Last Airbender is a nice source to draw from as it was an excellent show. Ultimately though your purpose for writing this fiction is what should inspire your writing IMO. Ex. My fiction was written from the perspective of someone that wanted a a darker more adult feel than the original. I tried to stay true to the groundwork laid down in the original work but only sparingly and i referenced it only on occasion. In your case you may eventually steer away from a group effort and want to write a script or maybe you'll want a lighter feel (Im not sure but Digimon may fall into that category) as you want it to be a comfortable read for every potential reader regardless of age. Your inner motivation will drive the story.

Regarding the character Bio's...i wont comment on those as this is your story / your groups story and regardless of what their bio's say its the story itself that will make the characters speak and grow.

Good Luck...Battle Beast is pretty much a blank slate and has great potential for folks who like to write. I may take up my story again down the road after other projects are done. Inspiration first..then the story ;)
Divide & conquer works because of attachments people make to push-button issues, individual "leaders," parties, clans, tribes, policies, or agendas, leaving them open to manipulation.

#6 GammaJetpunch

GammaJetpunch

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:36 PM

Sure..i think the varied manifestations of the elemental powers that you've included in your fiction is a nice addition that should have been included in the original properties background. Having a beast manifest their control over water in the form of ice, mist, or full blown torrents of water and in varying degree's of strength gives the characters depth which they lacked in the original fiction.

With regard to your inspirations ...Avatar : The Last Airbender is a nice source to draw from as it was an excellent show. Ultimately though your purpose for writing this fiction is what should inspire your writing IMO. Ex. My fiction was written from the perspective of someone that wanted a a darker more adult feel than the original. I tried to stay true to the groundwork laid down in the original work but only sparingly and i referenced it only on occasion. In your case you may eventually steer away from a group effort and want to write a script or maybe you'll want a lighter feel (Im not sure but Digimon may fall into that category) as you want it to be a comfortable read for every potential reader regardless of age. Your inner motivation will drive the story.

Regarding the character Bio's...i wont comment on those as this is your story / your groups story and regardless of what their bio's say its the story itself that will make the characters speak and grow.

Good Luck...Battle Beast is pretty much a blank slate and has great potential for folks who like to write. I may take up my story again down the road after other projects are done. Inspiration first..then the story ;)

Thanks bud, and I apologize for my rudeness.

Actually, I'd shown this to another friend of mine, and he said that he was intrigued by the mixed use of wildlife and technology (the environments), and it did harbor some bleak feel (Crooked Crow and the Shadowlands, and War Weasel and the Cybernetic Elite, and how he "recruits" them)

Also, Digimon wasn't always light-heated: Just look at the D-Reaper arc in Digimon Tamers.

Edited by GammaJetpunch, 27 December 2010 - 02:06 PM.

#7 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:36 PM

I didn't read any of the story, but the art work is sweet. :)
Posted Image

#8 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:41 PM

Ditto. Pretty fricken sweet sketches there!

#9 GammaJetpunch

GammaJetpunch

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:28 PM

Ditto. Pretty fricken sweet sketches there!

Thank you, the both of you. It's a shame that I couldn't make anything with my BFA (Bachelors of Fine Arts), but at least I can make people smile with my good sketches.

I can at least know from the two of you that my artistic skill will not go wasted here.

#10 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:05 AM

I love the artwork, and I must say your black panther looks exactly like my LB Panther I did for Ghost Lion. :) Very nice work. I haven't been around as much because of the military. I am going to try and be on more.

Later guys,
Sborders

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#11 MindlessFocus

MindlessFocus

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Glyos, and Other Little Rubber Guys. Oh, and Geocaching!

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:47 PM

wow. i think you are off to a great start. pics look great and i love the ideas presented in this endeavour. i only had time to skim it but i really like what i saw so far...
[This space for rent. Enquire within.]

#12 GammaJetpunch

GammaJetpunch

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 05:22 PM

I love the artwork, and I must say your black panther looks exactly like my LB Panther I did for Ghost Lion. :) Very nice work. I haven't been around as much because of the military. I am going to try and be on more.

Later guys,
Sborders

wow. i think you are off to a great start. pics look great and i love the ideas presented in this endeavour. i only had time to skim it but i really like what i saw so far...

Thanks sborders. I really wanted to make Black Panther look special (hence why he's got a more feudal-era look for his armor, rather than iconic Battle Beast armor looks), I did the same for Crooked Crow (skeletal armor), and I had a bit of time making the Icky Iguanas armor look better (design-wise the Iguana's armor looks UGLY, and not in the good way... and that's hard for me to say, honestly). I guess I've adapted the Derek Wyatt mentality for when and when not to improve on designs for today's standards (I'm one of those few who LIKE how he remade the Constructicons in Transformers: Animated. Same going for Soundwave, Perceptor, Rodimus Minor, Strika, Blitzwing, and Waspinator).

As for you MindlessFocus, I'm thankful that you're happy on how I presented everything, designs, ideas, and more. And reading that Japanese Battle Beasts catalog I saw on here, I now know I can fill my world with monsters too (giant scorpions, which I may call Megaskorpios, and elemental monsters I call the Mote Things, which are indigenous to Rockland in Soutern Snarl, where the meteor actually struck. Plus... it definitely doesn't hurt to play Legaia: Duel Saga for further ideas). Once I get back to scanning my stuff, you'll all see more. And I have a list of what other Beasts to draw.

#13 GammaJetpunch

GammaJetpunch

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:17 PM

UPDATE: Added one new art piece, which introduces two new Beasts. I call this art piece "ANIMEN OF SCIENCE!"

It's a first of a two-parter, lol.

see the link from the first post to see it.

EDIT: While, I've got everyone's attention (I hope), I was figuring to color these guys up, and... I was curious with some of the more "outlandish" colorizations (Rabbit Kid being seafoam green, War Weasel being bright red, Crooked Crow having a yellow beak), and... should I make the colorizations more realistic, or keep some and change others (Crow's beak WILL be dark grey, and armor deep red)? Mind you, this doesn't take place on Earth; it takes place on Beest, which, despite having Earth animals in humanoid form, is an alien planet.

Edited by GammaJetpunch, 11 January 2011 - 12:45 PM.

#14 GammaJetpunch

GammaJetpunch

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:35 AM

Oh forget it! HERE!

Posted Image

Now can I get some feedback? Please?

#15 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:13 PM

Great sketches... you should enter some of our FAC competitions. They have been kinda slow lately, but i like your style. Your Dr. Udan reminds me of Dr. Zaius. :lol:

here is a PL and Custom Angler i drew.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Ericnilla, 13 January 2011 - 12:13 PM.

#16 GammaJetpunch

GammaJetpunch

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:21 PM

Great sketches... you should enter some of our FAC competitions. They have been kinda slow lately, but i like your style. Your Dr. Udan reminds me of Dr. Zaius. :lol:

here is a PL and Custom Angler i drew.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thank you, Ericnilla. FAC competitions, you say? I'll take a look around the weekend.

As for Dr. Udan's appearance, I must admit I actually looked at pictures of real orangutans to inspire me, but as I told my brother-in-law when he said the same thing, "Once you've seen one orangutan, they ALL look like Dr. Zaius". lol. Also, I know that Ossified Orangutan doesn't have a gun, but I figured I'd give the scientist a better weapon than a spear (speaking of the gun: When you see the face, it's based off of a typical mature male Orangutan, meaning 'flared-out cheeks", and the weapon pattern actually is designed to emphasize that a bit better). Should I upload the others here?

Lastly, I like your illustrations too. I especially like how you deviated the "rubsign" placement onto the angler's arm. Such an ugly angler indeed (which is a good thing; you went all out with the design).

#17 GammaJetpunch

GammaJetpunch

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:06 PM

More from plus4chan, brought to here:

Is it right for me to be having more fun drawing them out, WAY before I type up a more detailed story synopsis of these bb's?

Yes, I want to work a story out of these, but, I guess being more graphically inclined, and having tough homework, I can't help myself but draw.

EDIT: I guess the answer was right there, in front of me, to post multiple pics. Enjoy below. ^____^

Edited by GammaJetpunch, 15 January 2011 - 11:31 PM.

#18 GammaJetpunch

GammaJetpunch

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:30 PM

Forget it, it seems pointless to hold up any longer, and not post.

Once things settle out from my radiographic review classes and my cross-sectional anatomy classes, I'll begin working on a more solid synopsis on story progression.

Attached Files

Edited by GammaJetpunch, 30 January 2011 - 10:25 PM.

#19 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:13 AM

I love the style you are using for them. They look very close to the figures. I tend to go over the top and change them a lot.

I'd love to see some inked and colored.

#20 GammaJetpunch

GammaJetpunch

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:52 AM

I love the style you are using for them. They look very close to the figures. I tend to go over the top and change them a lot.

I'd love to see some inked and colored.

They look close? Yeah, most of good guys, maybe; But Blitzkrieg Bat, Cutthroat Cuttlefish, Crooked Crow, Edgy Hog (whose a good guy, too), and Icky Iguana only vaguely resemble their figure counterparts (in terms of aesthetics,if you ever saw Icky Iguana's armor, you'd know why it needed changing; his armor was ugly, and not in the good way). Other than that, thanks. I use some sources of images from the internet (and a few figures off hand) to inspire me.

If there was ever a beast I WOULD change up, it's probably be the least intimidating of all the Battle Beasts: The flamingo. I've already thought up a way to reinvent the goofy pink bird in a way that'd make him almost seem cool. Ya know, maybe the duck, too (unless I pull a Transformers: Animated, and have him somewhere in the background).

Inking... would Faber-Castell art pens do the trick? I've got four sizes of 'em.

Thanks for the feedback, keep it up ^__^

Edited by GammaJetpunch, 16 January 2011 - 12:53 AM.

#21 MindlessFocus

MindlessFocus

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Glyos, and Other Little Rubber Guys. Oh, and Geocaching!

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:16 PM

Man, i am loving this. i would color them, but hopefully you'll do that in photoshop. keep us posted! this is great work. altho, the 4chan kinda detracts from it all... ;)
[This space for rent. Enquire within.]

#22 GammaJetpunch

GammaJetpunch

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:16 PM

Man, i am loving this. i would color them, but hopefully you'll do that in photoshop. keep us posted! this is great work. altho, the 4chan kinda detracts from it all... ;)

Well, consider that this is PLUS4chan (the artists 4chan), not "chock full o' trolls and butthurt" 4chan that we all know and loathe.

However, I just withdrew from plus4chan since NOBODY responds! This is now a LRG work.

And yes, I have Photoshop, and can easily color them.

Edited by GammaJetpunch, 16 January 2011 - 07:20 PM.

#23 GammaJetpunch

GammaJetpunch

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

At the moment, I'm working on another antagonist. I wouldn't have chosen him if it wasn't for both the Japanese bio, and the English comic. He was a scheming mastermind, almost Megatron-like in the comic, and the Japanese card bio mentions that he's "Highly skilled at tactics. Has deep reverence for Gruesome Gator "Alligatoron". His dream is to build an evil world."

Yes... I'm drawing Delta Chameleon. No, he's not the animan behind Gruesome Gator, but I'm making him a cruel, yet charismatic (for a lizard)spy and saboteur, who works doubly with War Weasel and Gruesome Gator. And, much like the card bio, he admires GG's plans and ideals for Beest to be ruled by one iron fist! So, not only is he good at his job, he's a full supporter of this destructive war to finally bring a chaotic world back into order, "...Even if it must be put on a leash.". Additionally, like the comic, he can change his element at will (another little tag in my revamp on what Battle Beasts, with proper skills, can do with their abilities). As for his personality: imagine the most impressive, yet slimy (without compromising his levels in "fear and respect me, you fools") evil British spy archetype you can think of, and slap it on him.

I drew him out so far, and my bro-in-law described him at "looking like a Sleestak, but #@&*ed up."...

... now I know I'm doing this right, if he can be that impressed (he liked Land of the Lost; the show, not the movie).

Back to the drawing. I took the liberties to combine bits of the original figure's armor and mixing and matching it with Puzzlecolor's (Delta's face, shoulder pads, waist armor, and upper portion of his boots, and Puzzlecolor's chestplate armor, and lower half of his boots), and it looks very good. Now I just need to draw his weapons (YES. WeaponSSS! :spiteful: ).

But before I scan the finished design up, I think I'll add a few headshots of him on that page for giggles.

#24 GammaJetpunch

GammaJetpunch

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:34 PM

Well, drawing is done. weapons sketched (and I must say it was REALLY fun drawing his gun; the flow of the design leans onto itself), and extra headshot emphasizing the kind of Animan he is is sketched...

... now all I need to do is ink it, and have a friend of mine color it via photoshop (I can do it myself, but he offered since too he has the program, and seldom uses it as of lately).

It shall be awesome!

Hey, I'm thinking of drawing Skull Grotess, but should I keep his name as is, or change it to Skull Dragos (cause, ya know... he's a dragon)? Please do not tell me "do whatever you want"; I can do that, myself. I want interaction with my slowly budding clique of fans. I figure I'll draw him, and Grencats, and that'll be all for the Battle Beasts. Afterwords, I'll get onto typing up a comprehensive (or close enough to not bore anyone) synopsis for the story's progression. I've got SO MANY ideas!!!

#25 mannakat

mannakat

Electro Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:Creature junkie, werewolves, dinosaurs

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:32 PM

Personally, I like Skull Grotess, not only does it sound somewhat lordly (even if it's a dark, twisted sort of way.... like Vlad the Impaler) but it also brings some curiosity into play. Is it named for a specific action or battle he may have fought in? Does he dawn on some rather intimidating warpaint, perhaps? Is he simply ruthless?

I like that the Laser Beasts didn't always have their animal/beast affiliation worked into their name.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com