Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Long Term Storage of Unopened/Opened toys?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 catbeast5000

catbeast5000

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:20 AM

So I'm hoping someone out there can chime in on this question.I've been recently researching the proper bags we should use to store our collectibles in for the long haul.i had no idea Ziploc bags from normal retailers contain acid in them that can eat away and decay our figures over time.i personally only collect MOC and misb pieces bt i do have a collection of battle beasts loose.i keep them in the normal small Ziplocs u can find at ur local craft store.my MOC 2-packs and Japanese single box beasts go in Target brand Ziploc bags.they are then wrapped and stacked very securely and placed in cardboard boxes.they are kept in a pretty constant temperature controlled closet.they are stored perfectly.everytime i open my closet i get to smell my personal toystore.it smells just like that wonderful smell when u open a new figure.but every year i go through my collection just to enjoy it.luckily I've never seen any problems.either on my battle beasts,vintage TMNT or all my heman and other rare collectibles.
my question is wth all the information i came across online referring to storing toys.they were all about storing opened or loose pieces.does storing your MOC,Misb,Mib pieces in Ziplocs degrade them as well?
i would imagine the acids in the bags still do break down over time and could possibly still yellow ur plastic bubbles or dull ur colors.i saw a lot of responses for purchasing products from gtzip.com.so i will be ordering product from there in the next few days and switching all my collectibles to acid free archival bags.it's extra insurance and if museums and big collectors use materials like this it should wrk to at least slow down the process of our collectibles breaking down for many more years.bt in the mean time any help on this would be greatly appreciated.how do u guys store ur collections?im really interested in how others store there unopened pieces so that they are still fresh looking years from now.
I've included a pic of the bags i store my beasts in.if anyone has heard of these bags being potentially harmful to my figures please inform me.thanx

Attached Files

#2 Grencats

Grencats

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:34 PM

I like to use comic book bags for toys. They come in a variety of sizes and are supposed to be safe for your comic so I can't see why it would be a bad idea.

#3 mca19

mca19

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Mainly Battle Beasts/Laser Beasts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 04:13 PM

I use sewing boxes for my beasts. They are super strong and They fit well. Not really individual packaging though if that's what you want. But for me, I can stack them and store them together. Curious what others come up with but I think a lot of people display them too.
Attached File  image.jpg   121.96K   3 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   76.81K   3 downloads

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com