34 replies to this topic

#1 rotr

rotr

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:42 PM

Hi, I live in Russia and here we also have a kind of Battle Beasts. Them were selling in early 90
Here some that I have.

It seems that a red rooster and the guy on the tank is from other toys series:

Attached File  DSCF3382.JPG   1.16MB   354 downloads

Some other kind of beasts:

Attached File  DSCF3383.JPG   1.16MB   211 downloads

And even such creepy beings:

Attached File  DSCF3386.JPG   1.17MB   192 downloads

#2 meatcutta78

meatcutta78

Im a M.U.S.C.L.E head.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2479 posts
  • Interests:I'm all about mono mini sculpts! , I also like long walks on the beach and wearing G-Strings in the privacy of my home.

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for posting pics!
I also want to welcome you to the boards! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:48 PM

Welcome !

Do you remember in what kind of package do they came ? Was it bag, blister or box ?

#4 rotr

rotr

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for posting pics!
I also want to welcome you to the boards! :D

ок, next time I will make still photos

lord,

there was nothing, just а toy alone, as I remember

#5 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:03 PM

Thanks for the answer. You're our first member from Russia so we will have a lot of question for you. Hope you don't mind.

I saw a vehicule in the first pic. Is it from the battle Beasts russian line too ?

#6 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:15 PM

Welcome! Those are some nice pics! You have anice collection going.

#7 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:45 PM

Welcome!

Interesting figures all around! I like the bronze lion figure. Its a nice some what cartoonish alternative to Pirate Lion.

Those other figures..specifically the skull head trio remind me of the wizard of oz remake (movie).
Divide & conquer works because of attachments people make to push-button issues, individual "leaders," parties, clans, tribes, policies, or agendas, leaving them open to manipulation.

#8 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:53 PM

pretty sweet figs... and welcome to the board. =]

#9 gilgar

gilgar

Supertzar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2706 posts
  • Interests:Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, NWOBHM, Punk, Hardcore, Thrash -->CDs, Albums, Videos, DVDs, MP3's, etc.

Toys, Toys, Toys especially vintage & old cars! HW (esp. redlines), Dealer Promos, SSPs, et. al., kinnikuman, SD kinkeshi, M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle Beasts, & anything else that catches my eye

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:02 PM

I really like the creepy skull figures
Posted Image
the slime of all my yesterdays
rots in the hollow of my skull

they will pick up snakes in their hands, and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not harm themPosted Image

#10 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:42 PM

These are great, I too like the Skull figures, and the vehicle in the first pic is very nifty!

Posted Image

#11 rotr

rotr

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:22 AM

Wow ) I did not expect such interest to my collection. In total I have 42 little beasts and 12 big. And also many simple figures

I saw a vehicule in the first pic. Is it from the battle Beasts russian line too ?

These little beasts have unexpectedly appeared on sale in the beginning of 90-s' and became popular very quickly. We did not even know that it is "Battle Beasts" or something else. We called them simply "robots". I was a little guy then and my parents buy them to me.

I really like the creepy skull figures

Yes, they were one of my the most favourite.

#12 fourth_heir

fourth_heir

halfway between Mars and Venus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:22 PM

*joins the welcoming party* :huh:

Interesting figures - I look forward to seeing more of them

Visit my dA gallery to see my latest fanart (it's mainly TransFormers and Doctor Who but there is a Battle Beast gallery on there!)...
fhsig2.gif

#13 SaltLakeToyJunkee

SaltLakeToyJunkee

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:35 PM

wasnt there a thread a while back where there was discussion about there being Greek LB's? I thought I remember seeing the same fly sailor and hearing theory of greek lb. could russia be the origin of the so called "greek lb"?

Or was this thread only going on in my head? :D

#14 SaltLakeToyJunkee

SaltLakeToyJunkee

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:39 PM

Wow ) I did not expect such interest to my collection. In total I have 42 little beasts and 12 big. And also many simple figures

rotr will you be sharing photos of these 42 beasts and 12 big beasts?

#15 dabbuu

dabbuu

Serious Collector

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 573 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:46 PM

Wow this is incredible. Thank you so much for showing these. I think I may have one of these and will get you a picture, do you think you can verify if it is indeed a Russian BB.

Posted Image

Thanks

dabbuu

Edited by dabbuu, 16 July 2009 - 05:56 PM.

Posted Image

#16 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:29 AM

Welcome to the forum!!! And nice collection they look alot like the bootlegs that came from spain. I think Dark Clown sold them to TGB.

Very Nice!

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#17 Dimskiy

Dimskiy

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 02:19 PM

Hello, All.
Wow, what a topic! :D

I don't know why, but for some reason I remembered the small plastic "robots" that I used to play with when I was a little kid growing up in Russia. After a short period of time searching Google in both Russian and English, I came across this topic. I'm sure there are some of these "robots" left at my parents house. Maybe I'll make some pictures of them some time and post them here.

Now, to answer some of your questions (and of course, to create more):

1. I'm very surprised to see a vehicle for the Battle Beast alikes. I've never owned one and I've never seen any of my childhood friends having one.

2. From what I understand, the Battle Beast alikes were indeed a cheap copies of the real Battle Beasts. As I recall, all the skeleton figures and other more cool looking figures started to emerge later on. The "Battle Beasts" or how rotr correctly said "robots" were the first ones.

3. The first time I saw a "robot" was in 1990. There was a kid not from my neighborhood playing outside my house. I noticed he had very colorful toys compared to the usual blunt soviet plastic toys. I approached him and he showed me the "Pig" and the "Giraffe". I never asked the kid where he got the toys from. From that day on, I bugged my parents to buy me those, too. However, they were no where to be found, until my dad picked up a "robot" from a "street market" on one of the train stops in a suburb of Moscow. He brought it in and asked if that was what I was talking about and it was it.

4. In a matter of maybe a few months, "robots" began to be sold almost everywhere. Let me explain. In the soviet era, all the products (including toys) that were sold were controlled by the government. About the time when the soviet union collapsed, people started to go abroad, purchase things there, bring them back to Russia and sell them on streets. These "street sellers" were the source of "robots". My best guess is that "robots" came from China, where they were copied off Battle Beasts...

5. "Robots" had no packages and even later ones didn't have packages either. They have no marks on them, not even the "Made in..." writing. Robots were made of 3 parts: the center piece and 2 arms. Since whoever manufactured them gave no crap about what arms go with what body, it resulted in many "combinations" of "different" robots. For example, I had 2 wolfs. One had two "fish" arms and the other one had the kind of arms where the left arm was a hook.

6. "Robots" were the coolest ever toy until transformers were introduced some time later. Of course, transformers were also a cheap copy of the originals... but that would be a separate topic.

Maybe I'll write some more memories if I'll remember something... actually, I wanna go to my parents house now and dig up some of my "robots". I only got a handful left of them, since I moved from Russia a while ago and of course did not take all my toys with me.

Hope this shines some light on some of your questions.

Cheers!

P.S. Oh! One more thing. From my point #3, I've never seen a pig robot again back than. They seemed to come out in waives. So, this month all street sellers would have a fish and a wolf. And the next month they would have a bird and a lizard, but the wolf and the fish would never return again.

#18 dabbuu

dabbuu

Serious Collector

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 573 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:22 AM

Hello, All.
Wow, what a topic! :woot:

I don't know why, but for some reason I remembered the small plastic "robots" that I used to play with when I was a little kid growing up in Russia. After a short period of time searching Google in both Russian and English, I came across this topic. I'm sure there are some of these "robots" left at my parents house. Maybe I'll make some pictures of them some time and post them here.

Now, to answer some of your questions (and of course, to create more):

1. I'm very surprised to see a vehicle for the Battle Beast alikes. I've never owned one and I've never seen any of my childhood friends having one.

2. From what I understand, the Battle Beast alikes were indeed a cheap copies of the real Battle Beasts. As I recall, all the skeleton figures and other more cool looking figures started to emerge later on. The "Battle Beasts" or how rotr correctly said "robots" were the first ones.

3. The first time I saw a "robot" was in 1990. There was a kid not from my neighborhood playing outside my house. I noticed he had very colorful toys compared to the usual blunt soviet plastic toys. I approached him and he showed me the "Pig" and the "Giraffe". I never asked the kid where he got the toys from. From that day on, I bugged my parents to buy me those, too. However, they were no where to be found, until my dad picked up a "robot" from a "street market" on one of the train stops in a suburb of Moscow. He brought it in and asked if that was what I was talking about and it was it.

4. In a matter of maybe a few months, "robots" began to be sold almost everywhere. Let me explain. In the soviet era, all the products (including toys) that were sold were controlled by the government. About the time when the soviet union collapsed, people started to go abroad, purchase things there, bring them back to Russia and sell them on streets. These "street sellers" were the source of "robots". My best guess is that "robots" came from China, where they were copied off Battle Beasts...

5. "Robots" had no packages and even later ones didn't have packages either. They have no marks on them, not even the "Made in..." writing. Robots were made of 3 parts: the center piece and 2 arms. Since whoever manufactured them gave no crap about what arms go with what body, it resulted in many "combinations" of "different" robots. For example, I had 2 wolfs. One had two "fish" arms and the other one had the kind of arms where the left arm was a hook.

6. "Robots" were the coolest ever toy until transformers were introduced some time later. Of course, transformers were also a cheap copy of the originals... but that would be a separate topic.

Maybe I'll write some more memories if I'll remember something... actually, I wanna go to my parents house now and dig up some of my "robots". I only got a handful left of them, since I moved from Russia a while ago and of course did not take all my toys with me.

Hope this shines some light on some of your questions.

Cheers!

P.S. Oh! One more thing. From my point #3, I've never seen a pig robot again back than. They seemed to come out in waives. So, this month all street sellers would have a fish and a wolf. And the next month they would have a bird and a lizard, but the wolf and the fish would never return again.

Thank you for the excellent information and if you can get a hold of the figures for pictures we'd appreciate it
Posted Image

#19 gilgar

gilgar

Supertzar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2706 posts
  • Interests:Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, NWOBHM, Punk, Hardcore, Thrash -->CDs, Albums, Videos, DVDs, MP3's, etc.

Toys, Toys, Toys especially vintage & old cars! HW (esp. redlines), Dealer Promos, SSPs, et. al., kinnikuman, SD kinkeshi, M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle Beasts, & anything else that catches my eye

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:18 AM

WOW! I'm glad this topic came back up, I'd missed the extra photos. Lots of great toys there! and great info Dimskiy, what a memory, I can barely remember what happened last week.
Posted Image
the slime of all my yesterdays
rots in the hollow of my skull

they will pick up snakes in their hands, and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not harm themPosted Image

#20 Dimskiy

Dimskiy

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:57 AM

Ok! So I read this post here:
http://minifigures.b...tle-beasts.html
(I apologize if I shouldn't link to outside sources)

Let me comment on some of the points in the source:

"All 28 figures from Series 1 of the original Battle Beasts line were available and each one has the original Takara copyright markings."
- I'm like 99% sure my "robots" did not have markings on them.

Packaging:
Come to think of it... the people who went abroad had to carry their products back, thus having limits on volume and weight. Packages create extra volume and somewhat weight. Therefore, if Russian "robots" were ever packaged, the packages were thrown away in the country of their origin.

Check out the Wolf (or the Fox?)! He's got a hook as one of his hands, this is exactly the wolf that I had, only mine was darker in color.

There were no stickers.

In regards to weapons: The first waives of "robots" didn't have weapons. When weapons came out, each seller distributed them differently. Some gave you a weapon with a figure (so you had no choice of what weapon you get). Some were selling weapons separately. Some let you pick a weapon if you purchased a figure.

"Greek Beasts came in two types of rubber, the more common being softer than standard Battle Beasts the less common being slightly harder. The softer figures ocaissionaly have slightly bent legs, here's an example of each with there American counterparts."
- Russian "robots" were made out of somewhat soft plastic. And as for bent legs, indeed there were lots of those. The rule was to make the street seller show you that the figure could stand. If it failed the standing test, the seller had to get another one out and try to make it stand. And so on... Well, at least that's how I shopped and my parents knew about this nuance as well.

Ok! I have to get to work! This is getting ridiculous! :woot:))))

to gilgar: Yes, I remember this very well. I think it's because "robots" were something new and just too freaking cool in comparison to the figures we had before:
Attached File  soldatiki.jpg   34.83K   82 downloads

Cheers!

#21 Dimskiy

Dimskiy

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:04 AM

Found this post on some Russian website:
"как и все ребята во дворе я не отрывался от "моды". я собирал практически всё:аллюминиевые банки,наклейки,вкладыши(особенно ценились turbo, причем с первыми номерами), но самым понтом у нас в школе после первого класса стали маленькие роботы разных животных. иметь нового робота,которого родители купили тебе неизвестно где, значило быть в центре внимания весь день. роботов,как и фантики тоже храню, больше на память."

Google translation [with my corrections]:
"like all the guys in the yard[neighborhood] I can not tear myself away from[was a part of] "fashion". I've collected almost all[everything]: Aluminum cans, labels[stickers], inserts (especially appreciated turbo, with the first issue)[refers to bubble gums with collector items inside], but most "pontom"[slang, coolest of all] in our school after the first class[grade] were little different robots animals. [to] have a new robot, whose[which] parents bought you [no-one] know where, would be in[would make you] the center of attention all day. robots, like candy wrappers are stored longer in the memory.[he still has them just for the childhood memories]"

#22 SaltLakeToyJunkee

SaltLakeToyJunkee

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:40 PM

Found this post on some Russian website:
"как и все ребята во дворе я не отрывался от "моды". я собирал практически всё:аллюминиевые банки,наклейки,вкладыши(особенно ценились turbo, причем с первыми номерами), но самым понтом у нас в школе после первого класса стали маленькие роботы разных животных. иметь нового робота,которого родители купили тебе неизвестно где, значило быть в центре внимания весь день. роботов,как и фантики тоже храню, больше на память."

Google translation [with my corrections]:
"like all the guys in the yard[neighborhood] I can not tear myself away from[was a part of] "fashion". I've collected almost all[everything]: Aluminum cans, labels[stickers], inserts (especially appreciated turbo, with the first issue)[refers to bubble gums with collector items inside], but most "pontom"[slang, coolest of all] in our school after the first class[grade] were little different robots animals. [to] have a new robot, whose[which] parents bought you [no-one] know where, would be in[would make you] the center of attention all day. robots, like candy wrappers are stored longer in the memory.[he still has them just for the childhood memories]"

Lost in translation :D Can anyone clarify?

#23 rotr

rotr

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:19 PM

Hi there! I'm back. Last months were very strained. Now I quit my job, so, have more time to show you another pieces of Russian "culture".

Philly, here my version of translation:

«As well as all children in a court yard, I didn’t come off a «fashion». I collected practically all: aluminium jars, labels, loose leaves ("turbo" with the first numbers were especially appreciated), but the most понтом (<po’ntom>, «pont» - Russian slang, means cool) for us at school after the first class (after graduate of the first class of elementary school) were small robots of different animals. To have the new robot, which parents have bought to you unknown where, meant to be the focus of attention all the day long. Robots, as well as candy wrappers, I store too, more for memory.»

Another thing, I want to show you, is Transformers, that I have:

Attached File  DSCF3374_1.jpg   1.29MB   47 downloads

Attached File  DSCF3387_1.jpg   1.27MB   27 downloads

Attached File  DSCF3395_1.jpg   1.22MB   20 downloads

Attached File  DSCF3397_1.jpg   1.28MB   21 downloads

Attached File  DSCF3400_1.jpg   1.31MB   14 downloads

I can't tell, were they made in Russia or China or somewhere else. Two of them are made of good plastic and have a nice quality. They were in the boxes, which are lost now and I don't remember what has been written there.

#24 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:30 PM

rotr I split your other toys and made a new topic in the other toys section. I left all the BB related stuff in this thread. :lol: Thank you for sharing all these amazing photos.

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#25 rotr

rotr

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:50 AM

rotr I split your other toys and made a new topic in the other toys section. I left all the BB related stuff in this thread. :mellow: Thank you for sharing all these amazing photos.

Ок, but maybe everything should be in Collection Pics?

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com