131 replies to this topic

#126 Exactobeast

Exactobeast

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:51 AM

Japanese name of Ultragas is fairly stupendous.  Let's all agree on that.

This was also the leader of my good guys as a child.  How that happened, I have no idea.

#127 Robeast

Robeast

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:27 PM

I just joined this site a few days ago and I love reading these too. Not only do I learn more about the Battle Beasts line, individually and in great detail, but I'm also learning more about the animal kingdom every time I read one of these posts. 

At this point in time, I have eight Battle Beasts. I collect them 'on the cheap' as much as possible; no rubs, and I only have one with a weapon. The only one I had as a kid was Rubberneck Giraffe and possibly one other one, as they were sold two figures per package.

Thanks for these write-ups, Jabroniville! I especially enjoy reading them leisurely, checking out the ones I own or have interest in for now. 

The only thing I would even consider doing differently with the write-ups (if I may say so) is including their relevance in the Transformers Headmasters episode 5. For example: Colonel Bird initiates the attack on the Decepticons stronghold by swooping in and bombing it; Rubberneck Giraffe fires his weapon but is ambushed from the moat by Triple-Threat Snake.

Then again, this idea might have 'diluted' the posts a little, so I understand why you didn't include them.

Keep up the great work!

#128 Bratwurst

Bratwurst

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 02:51 PM

Just curious if anyone's still reading these. The BB section of this forum is rather quiet these days, lol :). I still have a few more to post, and a handful more to write up. I'll probably eventually finish the main 76.

I come to this forum pretty much to catch up on this single thread.

#129 Jabroniville

Jabroniville

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 01:55 AM

I just joined this site a few days ago and I love reading these too. Not only do I learn more about the Battle Beasts line, individually and in great detail, but I'm also learning more about the animal kingdom every time I read one of these posts. 

At this point in time, I have eight Battle Beasts. I collect them 'on the cheap' as much as possible; no rubs, and I only have one with a weapon. The only one I had as a kid was Rubberneck Giraffe and possibly one other one, as they were sold two figures per package.

Thanks for these write-ups, Jabroniville! I especially enjoy reading them leisurely, checking out the ones I own or have interest in for now. 

The only thing I would even consider doing differently with the write-ups (if I may say so) is including their relevance in the Transformers Headmasters episode 5. For example: Colonel Bird initiates the attack on the Decepticons stronghold by swooping in and bombing it; Rubberneck Giraffe fires his weapon but is ambushed from the moat by Triple-Threat Snake.

Then again, this idea might have 'diluted' the posts a little, so I understand why you didn't include them.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the kind words!

Unfortunately, I've never seen that Headmasters episode, so couldn't comment on it much. I would have lost my mind seeing it as a kid, though.

#130 Jabroniville

Jabroniville

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:00 AM

I come to this forum pretty much to catch up on this single thread.

Yay! Thanks :)

#131 Jabroniville

Jabroniville

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 10:37 PM

7599646660_d536c9eed1_b.jpg

#1: PIRATE LION
Japanese Name: White Leo
Animal Basis:

two-male-lions-Kenya-631_jpg__800x600_q8lion-S.jpg
lionridinghorse-M.jpg

Lions mastering cavalry. Now I've seen everything.

There are only two varieties of lion known today, and they're pretty much the same- the Asiatic variety only lives in the Gir forest of India, while the African Lion is by far the most common. Lions are known as the "Kings of the Jungle"... rven though they live on grasslands and savannah. And generally just lay around all day. Seriously, these guys are BORING to watch when you see them in zoos. Their hunts are spectacular though, as the females stalk the weakest members of HUGE herds, split off into groups, then run one down (often with a series of other, hidden Lionesses taking up the chase). And they stand as the premier carnivore of Africa, with only the Nile Crocodile coming close. They eat the young of any other predators they see (they don't even EAT dead Hyenas), and nobody else messes with them, unless it's in mass numbers. They're also prone to bogarting the kills of anyone else, so they're kind of the dicks of the Animal Kingdom.

-Females are much smaller and weaker than males, despite their role as the hunters of the Pride. The key is their smaller size and lack of manes aid them in stealth, allowing them to capture prey more easily, and they're faster as well. 

-The males of Lion society don't do much work (a common hack animal trainer will joke, "The men do nothing, and the women do all the work- just like real life, huh?"), yet have a very important job- they're expected to see off any intruding males, which will save the females' cubs from a gruesome death (an invader will kill all the rival's cubs to ensure the females reach estrus sooner, much like other harem-based mammals), as well as fight off dangerous Hyenas and other creatures that threaten the Pride. The women are hunters; the men are defenders. Despite their laziness, a male Lion is over 200 lbs. heavier than the female, and size matters in the animal kingdom a whole hell of a lot.

-Males without a harem of females are loners, or gather together with their brothers, all exiled from their father's pride once they hit a certain age. Their size, slowness and manes make them far less efficient hunters, but with only one mouth to feed, and the power to take almost anything they can catch, they tend to do alright. Still, it's a hard life being a male lion- two or three years tops of being a King, getting all the ladies you can take, and the entirety of your life before and after are spent alone, before or past your prime.

-There's a great story in We Bought a Zoo (the book; never seen the movie) where the guy is talking about the male lion they had. The dude's working on a tree just outside the enclosure (a few feet from the fence), then turns around and the big male is practically RIGHT BEHIND HIM, edged up against the fence. He's amazed that this 500-lb. animal literally managed to sneak up within a few feet of him without alerting the guy to his presence. Then he sees from the lion's body movement that he's about to "charge". Now, he's seen the lion charge workers before- and no matter what's between them (usually a big, impenetrable fence), the workers ALWAYS lurch backwards and fall on their ass. EVERY TIME. So the guy is like "nah, I know what's coming- I won't fall backwards". So sure enough, the lion charges, and he's like "OH SH**!" and immediately lands on his ass! Stuff just completely overtook him and it was fight or flight time! And he KNEW... KNEW FOR A FACT... that there was no way this lion was actually going to get him. These things are INTIMIDATING. The size, mane and roar cut an impressive figure.

Toy Description: Pirate Lion is of course the defining character of the Battle Beasts line- the guy with the "#1" on him, and the leader of the good guys in the fiction. He appears prominently on most of the packaging, and got the ultra-rare "Sunburst" rubsign in limited release. Thankfully, many things separate this character from the herd, preventing him from looking a bit too boring & typical for an "early release" figure, or the "Generic Guy" of the line. A big thing is the eyepatch- a very little feature, but just definitive enough to make him stand out. His mane breaks up the "three-color" trend in many early Beasts, and adds some more interesting variance in his appearance, since it's a much lighter orange than his Secondary Color. The great contrast between his white skin and blue armor is eye-catching as well. The figure is also relatively broad and typically-built, avoiding being too imbalanced or skinny. Even his silhouette stands out a bit, thanks to his spiked shoulder pads and armor that's a combination of blocky and rounded.

His big, semi-traditional looking sword is the most well-known weapon in the line- they sold it as a scaled-up children's toy by itself! I even saw the exact same toy in a Zellers toy store about 12-15 years ago! The trademark info is on the backs of his boots, but I can't see any letters anywhere.

Colors: Four- his skin is bright white, and his mane is a light orange. His armor is blue, and his Secondary Color is a very dark orange.
Armor: A detailed, but simple, classic two-piece. His Chest Symbol is central, with two large orange "vents" beside it- some light detail work (lines; some triangles in relief) surround that, in addition to two raised bits on his shoulders. The back of his armor is quite rounded (instead of the boxy look of most guys), with only a few rectangular shapes drawn in. His codpiece is only a little more detailed, with a lot of little rectangles and lines drawn in- a very large trapezoidal shape in dark orange is right on the crotch.
-Pirate Lion's shoulder pads are very distinct, and give him a strong silhouette- they're very rounded (and separated from the chest armor- you can see white skin betwen them!), ending in pylon-shaped spikes with circles on top of them. His wristguards have some more linear details, in addition to a blunted "claw" that overhangs the hand by a bit. His boots are quite blocky, but with very large, plain kneepads.
Weapon: A very simple, large sword. A bit traditional in appearance (unusual for this line, really), but with many angular features, such as a spiked guard & pommel- the hilt points upwards, with two smaller spikes facing diagonally downwards. The edge of the sword actually angles out a bit weird, as it looks normal on one side, while the other "juts out" a bit. The whole thing ends with a tiny ballpoint shape at the tip of the blade.
Hands & Feet: Three-fingered hands, and four-toed feet with nails.
Easily-Broken Bits: None. The light mane and the thin eyepatch usually get a lot of weathering.
Had it as a Kid: Yep- THREE of them, in fact! My original two got a ton of weathering and lost their arms, but my third ended up pristine as hell, and is one of my best-looking figures even to this day! I named this guy the leader of the "Bad Guys", and classified the other two Lions as his subordinates/advisors- the headcanon went that they were both former leaders, but he'd defeated them in combat, and now they were loyal to him.
Variants: None. Unless you count the "Sunburst Lion" with the different rubsign. This is extremely rare, but dishonest people started popping up with "Sunbursts" on eBay, since the Lion itself is one of the most common figures there is.

Overall Score: 9.5/10 (one of the best overall figures, and a true classic in the line)

#132 Jabroniville

Jabroniville

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:38 AM

053.jpg

#53: PANZER PANDA
Japanese Name: Strong Panda
Animal Basis:

panda0106-S.jpg

-The Giant Panda is one of the most enigmatic animals on Earth, and is famous as a symbol of conservation and rarity. Initially discovered by white people only a little over a century ago (it's one of the last major fauna ever found- along with the Okapi, the Megamouth Shark and the Gorilla), it's incredibly rare, and seems to WANT to die: They consume almost entirely bamboo, which is a rare, low-protein diet that is very unfulfilling for such a large animal. They're extremely hard to breed in captivity (and likely so in the wild as well), to the point where entire science teams must work on them round the clock to ensure they hump each other properly, and make tiny pink mini-Pandas. Yet despite all this, they're one of the planet's most beloved creatures, and such a major selling-point for a zoo that despite costing literally hundreds of millions of dollars to keep, ANY ZOO would give its eye-teeth for a pair of them, because the sheer amount of ticket sales more than make up for it. 

-And they finally figured out it's authentically a BEAR, after debating about this for decades. Pandas are the weakest of the Bears, but aren't to be underestimated. Despite their cuddly exteriors, they are MUCH stronger than people, and heavy enough to really throw their weight around. Many people have been badly-hurt in zoos after straying too close to an animal that can do a lot of damage with their claws and teeth- remember, they're designed to cut down BAMBOO shoots.

Toy Description: Panzer Panda is one of the biggest stand-outs in the line, and so unique that you might not even suspect him to be a Battle Beast at first. Really, almost nothing on this guy makes "sense" with the rest of the line- he's got a similar armor set-up to most, but his color scheme is all over the place. The main color of his armor matches that of his head, midsection, hands and feet! You never see that in any other guy in the line!

He's a well-detailed figure, too- you can count on one hand the number of guys that have this much detail put on their faces, as not only are his ears colored separately, but he has actual black patches over his eyes. Compare him to the Bovine, who has barely-visible patches. This guy's nose, arms and legs are also pure black on a white figure, standing out quite dramatically thanks to his white arm & leg-bands, plus the white hands and feet. He's basically a big piece of white plastic with some black painted on.

His copywrite info, peg-hole and a "53B" are located on his feet. Because of his late position in the line, and general details, he's one of the rarest, hardest-to-find figures you're likely to find among the "regulars".

Colors: Three- his skin is pure white, while his arms and legs are black. So are his ears, eyepatches and nose. He has a single red "panel" on the front section of his armor, as well as red eyes.
Armor: A pretty generic set, with a two-piece armor. The main thing is the color scheme. His boots are pretty rectangular, with "+" symbols on the knees. His codpiece is small, but has two squares sticking out at the crotch, as well as a raised "rim" along the entire structure. His wristguards are banded, but rather square in shape. His shoulder pads are very rounded, also sporting raised bands, as well as large circles by the joint. The torso is covered by a simple, blocky, under-detailed bit of armor, save for the fact that the front panel is red. The Chest Symbol is on the left breast, while a smaller, near-square rectangle matches it on the other side. A raised, rounded bit is in the middle.
Weapon: Very nice, much like the other "light grey weapon" guys- it's a large, mechanical-looking scimitar. It's largely flat on the blade portion, but has a raised "circuit" bit sticking out of the hilt, which is very blocky, complete with another circuit-like structure in the finger guard. There's a small "mould circle" near the tip of the inner edge.
Hands & Feet: Mitten-like hands, and four-toed feet with large fifth toes in the rear (quite unlike any actual bear).
Easily-Broken Bits: None. I haven't even seen too much yellowing of his entirely-white body, though it's probably happened elsewhere. You'd think there'd be more paint wear on the black parts, too, but mine looks practically brand-new.
Had it as a Kid: Nope- of all the Beasts, this one, the Penguin and the Zebra look the strangest and most "is that really a Battle Beast?" in the entire line.
Variants: None.

Overall Score: 9/10 (a major stand-out figure with a crazy look, using unique colors in place of a distinctive mould design)

Edited by Jabroniville, 09 August 2018 - 03:40 AM.

Copyright © 2018 LittleRubberGuys.com