4 replies to this topic

#1 countzackula

countzackula

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:29 AM

You may have heard of these little figures before. They seemed to hit the toy scene around the early 2000s when Masters of the Universe tried to make a comeback. An odd small-scale bootleg/knock off line called DARKNESS WARRIORS that used a lot of molds from other toy lines.

I found a few sets at Wal-Mart once in the impulse sections by the checkouts. I only ever found three of the six sets. I tried searching online and found numerous packaging variations. Sometimes Darkness Warriors came on small blister cards, large blister cards, plastic cases, mini "backpacks", in tubes, in boxes, two-packs, and even large playsets. Hell, I'm probably not done finding out what kinds of packaging these came in over the years. Thankfully, it hasn't driven me bonkers as I do NOT keep most of my stuff mint in package. I had sold my three figure sets at one point only to buy them again at a non-local dollar outlet when I found all six sets (finally). I sat on them for years, content. I knew another figure line called Darkness Warriors was out there and casually tried to hunt them down for cheap. Luckily, I ran into one of the large playsets! I got a Darkness Warriors castle! Awesome!

ETC1920_zps4f5480ad.jpg

ETC1923_zpsf5030f46.jpg

ETC1922_zps236c3db8.jpg

ETC1921_zpsbf638531.jpg

ETC1928_zpsb9345111.jpg

You can't see him in the packaging, but there's a third figure who fell out of place: a skull demon. I had all the figures already, so I kinda had mild buyer's remorse initially. The castle was the only thing I really "needed" from the set...well, I actually thought you got TWO castles at first, but it's just one. It's hinged in the middle and closes together! Part of me assumes a second set might exist featuring the other three characters with a different colored castle similar to the one on the package back. Yet, colors often vary...you know the ol' routine! Still, a blue/purple bad guy castle would rock!

ETC1929_zps6512eb7f.jpg

Here's the Darkness Warriors castle with a Chap Mei one. I've seen both reused in some legitimate or non-legitimate way.

ETC1930_zps70b04c78.jpg

Like I said, the castle has two sides...each has an opening door. Other that that, the castle itself is just a facade. You can use it as a carrying case of sorts, yet all the accessories and figures will NOT fit inside...er...closed, anyway. You can attach a flag or banner in the turrets, but they will barely stay up. You have to close it shut to keep them in place. Again, it's a cheap-o toy here...I don't expect Castle Grayskull level features.

The accessories and such are fairly generic and not necessarily character specific. You get three of the six Darkness Warriors cast with this castle: the Warrior, skull demon, and wizard.

The wizard and the the other two humans are presumably good. The wizard is bootlegged from a first generation Imaginext wizard toy. Some of the weapons and accessories appear to be shrunken down bootlegs of Chap Mei accessories. I know the ruined wall and some of the weapons were used in the Beast Raider line. The wizard has rotating arms and bends at the hips. The cap or headdress is removable. He holds onto most weapons fairly well.

ETC1932_zps18d6054b.jpg

The skull demon almost looks like a lost Skeleton Warriors character. As a matter of fact, we get a bootlegged skeletal dragon from that toy line in Darkness Warriors. The arms and next rotate. The wings can come off if desired. He also holds most weapons. I'm honestly not sure if all the accessories are bootlegged form something. Some may be original...to a degree.

ETC1931_zps64309302.jpg

Speaking of Skeleton Warriors, the last human guy in this set could also be a KO of a Skeleton Warriors figure for all I know. Looks a lot like a human Prince Lightstar (or was it Darkstar...it's been a while). Has rotating shoulders and head. Removable cape. Also holds most weapons. I assume this guy is the main hero of the line, eh?

ETC1934_zpsf7119fd5.jpg

The only figure variation I know of so far. Hair color on the human warrior...brown and black versions! With all the packaging versions, it is a bummer to never see the figures done up in any different way. Kinda glad to see some kind of color variation, no matter how minor.

ETC1933_zpsfe7db767.jpg

If you pool all my accessories you can see you get some color variations and doubles/repeats. Here's a shot showing some of the major color variations you might get. Most accessories are one-piece and simple. The ruined wall comes in two parts, as does the skeletal dragon (wings and main body). The little cage also has a tab to attach a little winged imp to, as if he's perching atop it.

Here's a shot with the other three characters added in...the silver dragon, the skull warrior, and the KO Ram Man!

ETC1935_zps57d8d3ec.jpg

Articulation is the same on the humanoid figures: rotating arms and neck. The dragon, oddly, has no articulation. The wings are connected and can "flap" in spirit only. Strange how the articulated skeletal dragon only seems to count as a mere pet or sidekick companion in this toy line. Still, a cool little toy line. I would not doubt if these are still available somewhere. I'm out for a possible second castle or any variations of any kind!

#2 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

Those skeleton dragons are awesome!

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#3 bigazzhead

bigazzhead

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • Interests:Mini Figure interests:
    Monster in my Pocket
    Megaman/Rockman
    Dragon Ball
    Dragon Quest
    Old Nintendo
    Gegege no Kitaro
    general monster keshi
    Ghostbusters
    Zombie related stuff
    and anything cool. (yeah I know pretty vague)

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

The skeleton dragons are actually skeleton warrior boots.

http://img263.images...9/skeletonk.jpg

I've been keeping my eye out for the few companion figs for a while but still haven't pulled the trigger on em.

#4 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

I had one of those Skele Warriors, he didn't come with a companion though

#5 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

Wonderful pictures are a great write-up. Thanks for sharing man, really. 

Any chance of a bigger pic of the skull hand thing coming from the stand?

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com