8 replies to this topic

#1 mastasini

mastasini

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:58 AM

Hi – does anyone has experience stocking toys in a free standing garage.

My room is getting to crowded (since I collect almost every line of cool toys)

So I was thinking of putting all the big and not to valuable pieces in a garage to make some space (turtle lair, t-rex without acc from dino riders, most of the ships from star wars, some big gi joe vehicules. Making some diorama’s would be cool.

My question is – will temperature affect the toys (freezing) Belgium has about the same climate as UK – so it can freeze in winter but rarely drops below 2 to 5 degrees

Does anyone have experience with storing toys in a garage? Tips?

#2 Jesse

Jesse

They should really get a breathalyzer on thi site

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1051 posts
  • Interests:Fistful of power, Universe of violence and random odds and ends...

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:04 AM

I know form experience thet ecspecially hard plastic toys get more fragile when freezing.

#3 wallacegreenway13

wallacegreenway13

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Transformers, MOTU, G.I. Joe, Wrestling, Movies, etc.

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:21 AM

I know you are more concerned about freezing that heat but I've learned NOT to use packing peanuts.  When it gets hot they tend to melt to the figures making a hell of a mess to try to clean up.

#4 Sixthwizard

Sixthwizard

6thWizard

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:57 AM

If possible, use styrofoam or however you spell it...

All plastic contracts when freezing and expands when heating, so your stuff may crack if not temp controlled.

#5 Fuzz

Fuzz

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy collecting obscure toy lines from the 80s, as well as some of the newer stuff like NECA's Predator line.

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:44 AM

Yeah, I would just advise against it. My cousin recently found an old box of toys my parents gave him when he was little in his garage, and they didn't fair too well. The cold winters and humidity in the summers here in Buffalo were not kind.

#6 Sixthwizard

Sixthwizard

6thWizard

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:45 AM

but not the packing peanut styrofoam.  The kind that SideShow Toys packs with, or like how a tv is packed......know what I mean...

#7 mastasini

mastasini

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:19 AM

damn there goes my plan to make a nice diorama in a garage - the problem is that the last 6 months i've been buying to much large stuff like big ships and castles. i don't want to get rid of them but at this time i can't even enter my room anymore :(

also the garage would not really be near my house but about 10 km further which was also a setback

time to think of another plan...

#8 Jesse

Jesse

They should really get a breathalyzer on thi site

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1051 posts
  • Interests:Fistful of power, Universe of violence and random odds and ends...

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:24 AM

Oh its ships and stuff. Okay cold might not bother toys like that ecspecialy if you don play with them but toys with moving parts will propably dislilke the cold atleast my transformers did.

But take this advice atleast DONT MOVE FROZEN TOYS!

Edited by Jesse, 23 September 2014 - 10:26 AM.

#9 mastasini

mastasini

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:29 AM

ok since most of the toys are not super valuable or super condition (i wouldn't put a gi joe defiant or a playset eternia there if i had one)

the star wars ships are already a little bit worn

it's already been a while in belgium we had real frost - a few years ago we had -12 but that was a few days and was really exceptional (damn global warming)

can't remember we had frost last year

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com