27 replies to this topic

#1 nostalgicsmiler

nostalgicsmiler

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:52 AM

Hey all, tried looking through all 16 pages of posts and don't think there is anything on actual cleaning of MIMPs. A few threads on how to store but nothing much on cleaning.

Just wondering what methods you all use that are safe and effective? I gave mine a clean with just warm water and whilst it improved some of them lots need a deeper clean - is soap ok to use?

(Whilst just using water didn't completely clean them I will say it gave a few of them their classic MIMP smell back, ah the memories!)
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

#2 Aikola

Aikola

Main Offender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:00 AM

Ive used washing up liquid on mine and they all seem to be fine, get rid of all that childhood dirt.
Aikola: Collecting figures that no-one else cares about since 2007.
"Punk Rock: A loud, fast and deliberately offensive style of rock music"

My Trade List
My Little Army
Aikola's Mini Boglin Colour Archive

#3 nostalgicsmiler

nostalgicsmiler

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:04 AM

Ive used washing up liquid on mine and they all seem to be fine, get rid of all that childhood dirt.

Cheers for the tip Aikola, is that putting the washing up liquid onto the figs directly or just washing the MIMPs up like you would dirty plates?!
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

#4 Aikola

Aikola

Main Offender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:22 AM

Yeah stick them in a bowl with water and liquid and get a toothbrush to try and get into the harder to clean places.

My Trade List
My Little Army

#5 1313

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Interests:Series 1 MIMP, Trash Bag Bunch, Vintage StarWars, Batman, Ghostbusters, Bootlegs, Obscure toys, Movie figures, Horror, 80's/90's toys, MMA, Rock/Metal, original film posters/promo's, Book Collecting, DVD/Blu collecting.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:38 AM

Every time i get some new MIMP, unless they are mint & pack fresh, i always drop them in the sink with some hot water & bar of soap & use a nail brush to scrub each one individually clean.
Then a long rinse to wash away any remaining soap residue & maybe a if needed, i scratch away at a particular stain that hasn't been got rid of but softened enough to remove by hand.
If anythings left on the figure after this it isn't coming off unfortunately, lol.

#6 Aikola

Aikola

Main Offender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:42 AM

Hey all, tried looking through all 16 pages of posts and don't think there is anything on actual cleaning of MIMPs. A few threads on how to store but nothing much on cleaning.

Just wondering what methods you all use that are safe and effective? I gave mine a clean with just warm water and whilst it improved some of them lots need a deeper clean - is soap ok to use?

(Whilst just using water didn't completely clean them I will say it gave a few of them their classic MIMP smell back, ah the memories!)

Im guessing you know that once you've cleaned all your rare Monsters its not advisable to keep them all together, you need to seperate the colours.

My Trade List
My Little Army

#7 nostalgicsmiler

nostalgicsmiler

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

Many thanks for the info Aikola and 1313, much appreciated.

Now I am going to clean them all properly, yeah I will be sorting and storing them in separate lots. From what I saw, people are divided on the theory of colour bleaching/transferring? Don't want to take any risks though!

Some of my faves I am keeping on the windowsill, is that ok or have you guys seen or heard of figs fading due to light? The only fig I have seen that looks like it may have been victim of this is a friends S4 Creature from the closet, all neon purple colour but looks kind of faded in places?!

#8 80schild

80schild

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:MIMP
    OMFG
    RC-CARS

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

Yer I clean mine the same way and separate to prevent colour transfer... Some of my neon yellow are well stained. :wallbash:

#9 Daxel101uk

Daxel101uk

Yin & Yang

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

Not a good idea Nos should keep em in a cool dark area and dont mix colours, do as I do purchase yourself one of each of the collectors mountains the mimps got sold in back in the day and store them in those or one of those huge black collectors mountain think they only made one of those for series 1 though..... (plus the shipping of those can be pretty pricey ;)
“I left in love, in laughter, and in truth, and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.â€￾ Bill Hicks R.I.P
My Collection
http://www.littlerub...=0

#10 80schild

80schild

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:MIMP
    OMFG
    RC-CARS

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

Many thanks for the info Aikola and 1313, much appreciated.

Now I am going to clean them all properly, yeah I will be sorting and storing them in separate lots. From what I saw, people are divided on the theory of colour bleaching/transferring? Don't want to take any risks though!

Some of my faves I am keeping on the windowsill, is that ok or have you guys seen or heard of figs fading due to light? The only fig I have seen that looks like it may have been victim of this is a friends S4 Creature from the closet, all neon purple colour but looks kind of faded in places?!

Iv never seen it but I guess it would damage them..... If I let mine on show my 1 year old son would be chewing on them :lol:

#11 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog

Duck President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4202 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

Throw em in a bucket with washing powder and warm water and soak overnight. Then finish them off with washing up liquid and a brush.
<span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#8b0000;">Stuff I'm selling: <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=220814">Madballs Water Squirters</a> *</strong></span> <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=154077">Gormiti</a> * <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=148080">Miscellaneous (MIMP, FOA etc)</a></strong></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#808000;">Stuff I really need:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=235893"><strong>HERE</strong></a></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#008000;">Stuff I collect:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...showtopic=44163"><strong>Gormiti</strong></a></span><br><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;">Get your own easy-to-use</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...ndpost&p=264795"><strong>M.U.S.C.L.E.</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">or</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...08"><strong>MIMP Series 1/2</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">checklists!</span></span>

#12 accountdeleted

accountdeleted

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

Throw em in a bucket with washing powder and warm water and soak overnight. Then finish them off with washing up liquid and a brush.

i second that, but i use the liquid and keep stirring them, using a toothbrush when needed, until the water starts cooling and then just rinse them off, it works a treat.

#13 nostalgicsmiler

nostalgicsmiler

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

Yer I clean mine the same way and separate to prevent colour transfer... Some of my neon yellow are well stained. :wallbash:

Neon Yellow seem to be the worst for this!! They seem to love getting those red spots! I also have a red spot on a Olive Green fig and a green spot on a Purple fig, so maybe it's possible for all colours to get these nasty spots?!

And yeah, I can see a 1 yr old boy being the adversary for many a MIMP out there! Keep em safe my friend!

Edited by nostalgicsmiler, 06 February 2012 - 10:50 AM.

#14 nostalgicsmiler

nostalgicsmiler

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:49 AM

Not a good idea Nos should keep em in a cool dark area and dont mix colours, do as I do purchase yourself one of each of the collectors mountains the mimps got sold in back in the day and store them in those or one of those huge black collectors mountain think they only made one of those for series 1 though..... (plus the shipping of those can be pretty pricey ;)

What's not a good idea mate, keeping them on the windowsill?! How will I display these beasts in the meantime then?! A monster mountain filled with Pine Greens and a few other nice colours is what I one day aspire to have!!

#15 Aikola

Aikola

Main Offender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:53 AM

What's not a good idea mate, keeping them on the windowsill?! How will I display these beasts in the meantime then?! A monster mountain filled with Pine Greens and a few other nice colours is what I one day aspire to have!!

You will struggle with that as only 10 sculpts were available in Pine Green.

My Trade List
My Little Army

#16 nostalgicsmiler

nostalgicsmiler

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

That method sounds as if it would get them almost sparkling Strontim! Cheers, I may have to try it for any particularly dirty MIMPs I have!

I also see I need to learn how do do that multiquote thing, apologies for the multible replies guys!

#17 Aikola

Aikola

Main Offender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

I also see I need to learn how do do that multiquote thing, apologies for the multible replies guys!

Click multiquote on each of the posts and then click reply at the bottom of the thread, shouldnt be to difficult. :rolleyes:

My Trade List
My Little Army

#18 nostalgicsmiler

nostalgicsmiler

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

You will struggle with that as only 10 sculpts were available in Pine Green.

Yep, realise that Aikola that's why I added "a few other nice colours too"! I just love the look of MIMPs in Pine Green, think they look good next to Purple so maybe a Monster Mountain of Pine Greens and Purples is what I should look to be getting over the next few years!

#19 Daxel101uk

Daxel101uk

Yin & Yang

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

Yeah Nos I have heard that putting them on the windowsill in direct sunlight can affect them thats what I was on about (danger of colour been sun-bleached) ;)
Well my guess the best idea is to put them in sealed bags (zip plastic bags are good) for the time being until you get them mountains (but keep each of the colours separate)
“I left in love, in laughter, and in truth, and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.â€￾ Bill Hicks R.I.P
My Collection
http://www.littlerub...=0

#20 nostalgicsmiler

nostalgicsmiler

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

Click multiquote on each of the posts and then click reply at the bottom of the thread, shouldnt be to difficult. :rolleyes:

Thanks mate, will give that a go next time I need to! You say it shouldn't be too difficult but I am probably one of the least technical guy's in their mid 20's you are likely to come across haha!

#21 nostalgicsmiler

nostalgicsmiler

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

Yeah Nos I have heard that putting them on the windowsill in direct sunlight can affect them thats what I was on about (danger of colour been sun-bleached) ;)
Well my guess the best idea is to put them in sealed bags (zip plastic bags are good) for the time being until you get them mountains (but keep each of the colours separate)

Cheers for the heads up mate! I am unsure what to do, because the windowsill in question does not get much what I would call direct sunlight (I know this as I had to move my bonsai from there, he wasn't liking it at all!) but still gets some light.

Probably best not to risk it and make some form of cheap skate DIY display, until I bag me one of them mountains!

#22 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

Simple Green is pretty awesome for really screwed up figures.

#23 TheGiz

TheGiz

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

Hey, how's it goin? Recently rediscovered a load of MIMP figures including 6 glow in the dark figures (series 1-2). Any suggestions as to how to get the seemingly baked in black bits and red spots off them or will the above methods work the same as with the standard colored figures? Lookin to get them in good enough condition to sell if I can (saw three of them on ebay goin for 73 euro each......are they worth that?) Appreciate any advice I can get, thanks :)

#24 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, Neclos Fortress, GPK, '80s fantasy toys, all kinds of monster-themed little rubber guys.

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

Hey, how's it goin? Recently rediscovered a load of MIMP figures including 6 glow in the dark figures (series 1-2). Any suggestions as to how to get the seemingly baked in black bits and red spots off them or will the above methods work the same as with the standard colored figures? Lookin to get them in good enough condition to sell if I can (saw three of them on ebay goin for 73 euro each......are they worth that?) Appreciate any advice I can get, thanks :)

If the black bits are dirt you might be able to get them off by scrubbing with soapy hot water and a toothbrush like with any MIMP, but it sounds like the red spots are staining that goes into the rubber (very common with light colored MIMP) and those you won't get off no matter how hard you try.

They are not worth near 73 Euro each. Remember that anyone on eBay can ask whatever ridiculous price they want, but that doesn't mean they will sell for that price. Here are some recently ended auctions with more realistic prices (a couple are even lower than I would have thought):

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3a93960218

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3a9396021f

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3a9395fd94

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3a9395fd98

14460229430_bb17eb3c18_n.jpg

#25 TheGiz

TheGiz

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

If the black bits are dirt you might be able to get them off by scrubbing with soapy hot water and a toothbrush like with any MIMP, but it sounds like the red spots are staining that goes into the rubber (very common with light colored MIMP) and those you won't get off no matter how hard you try.

They are not worth near 73 Euro each. Remember that anyone on eBay can ask whatever ridiculous price they want, but that doesn't mean they will sell for that price. Here are some recently ended auctions with more realistic prices (a couple are even lower than I would have thought):

Thanks for the links, looks like making a decent profit out of them was a poorly conceived idea :D Guess I'll just be cleaning them for my own satisfation and the enjoyment of future generations :p

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com