21 replies to this topic

#1 musclemenkids

musclemenkids

Stompin' on your face!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 05:32 AM

Since Hasbro released the new Dungeons and dragons board game i have found myself becoming more and more interested in old board games (apart from monopoly because that game sucks arse) such as heroquest and advanced space crusade and even the odd session of cluedo. Does any one else find themselves lapsing into a similar state and who else now believes video games are nothing more than a fad and eventually everything will revolve around six sided dice once again like in the good old days.
"FRUIT OOZE IS WETLY LEWD SO
STAY DRY IN RUBBER BOOTS AND.."

#2 Adamantiumwulf

Adamantiumwulf

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1900 posts
  • Interests:Sega Master System and Segas other Consoles and games., Legos
    Transformers
    Baseball cards
    various action figures

Posted 05 February 2004 - 06:25 AM

Monopoly is sweet dunno what your talking about. I have 7 different versions of it.
Risk is also a sweet BG.

Video Games arent a fad. It gives just about instant gratification and that is what most people want these days. With Massive online games where you can play with 1000's of real people it makes it different and in the virtual world there are some board games you can play. In UO you can play Chess, Checkers, and some others.

There will always be a hardcore table top group though.

Edited by Adamantiumwulf, 05 February 2004 - 06:28 AM.

"I've always believed that a lot of the trouble in the world would disappear if we were talking to each other instead of about each other." Ronald Regan - April 11, 1984

#3 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 09:20 AM

My girlfriend and I have started to play board games. It's a good way to have some fun without spending a crapload of money. Monopoly is cool, and Risk is awesome (although if you play with only two people, it gets to be a slaughter very fast). Clue is pretty fun, too. And I've had some great times playing Star Wars Trivial Pursuit, but I can really only play with one friend because normal people are simply not on my Rainman-level of Star Wars knowledge.

I'd say the ultimate board game is Chess. It has so much strategy involved that it takes decades to master.

I'm not much of a fan of computer versions of board games. I like the tangible aspect of physical board games. A computer version is cold and disconnected.

And oh yeah... video games are just a fad... a 25-year-old, multi-billion dollar industry fad. :lol:

-Nathan

Edited by Tortle, 05 February 2004 - 09:27 AM.

#4 AmoiMan

AmoiMan

Garlic Energized

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 12:46 PM

#1 game is Civilization Defiant!!! (an RPG my friend Lance developed, with a little help from me. kinda like D & D)

D&D
Chess
Monopoly
Backgammon
Scrabble
Boggle

those are my top choices for board games
Posted Image

#5 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 05 February 2004 - 12:54 PM

I'd say the ultimate board game is Chess.

I'll firmly second that!

Also, I'd love to have a go at Snakes and Foxes: a fictitious board game referred to in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time book series.

But above all, I'd love to play the Glass Bead Game: another fictitious board game, this time from the brilliant mind of Hermann Hesse.

:ph34r:
Posted Image

#6 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 02:23 PM

I LOVE games. I'm a hardcore gamer.

Personally, I enjoy Cheapass Games and many CCGs, namly Magic: The Gathering for those still current. I've also got some dead games hanging around that arn't bad.

Nate, check out the CAG website and order three or four that you like the sound of. I know you'll like Give Me The Brain with your Zombie affection that you show.

I could rant for a page on the kinds of games that I enjoy... but most people here still say Monopoly isn't bad... Get the second and fourth sets of properties, build them up, hope you go to jail a lot. What a fun game. NOT! :ph34r:
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#7 RobinMask81

RobinMask81

Hokage Sama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 02:54 PM

Scrabble and monopoly rules!!! So does clue, anybody try Break the safe, its a new one, which rules too!! hehe :ph34r:

#8 Package

Package

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 08:26 PM

I played my first game of 'settlers of catan' the other day. It's sort of like monopoly but without the money and much more strategy involved. It's up there with the classics: chess, checkers, monopoly....

#9 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 08:52 PM

Settlers is definatly a classic game, right up there with Kill Doctor Lucky, assuming you want to put the money out for it. Most places its cost turns people off of it... If you can find it in Wal Mart for Thirty Five, you're golden. Usually, it's around sixty or seventy dollars for the full game.

That's one reason I like Cheapass Games. They've got high quality games, but they let you use your own playing pieces so it doesn't cost you twenty or more dollars for their game-- just eight for the Intellectual Property of the game..
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

#10 Knuxman

Knuxman

Reject False Icons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1293 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 11:28 PM

I play chess, checkers, mancala, monopoly, sorry, clue, scrabble, shoots and ladders, and chinese checkers.
"So it goes."
~Vonnegut

#11 Kinnikusauce

Kinnikusauce

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 01:25 PM

Mancala, chess, checkers, go, battleship, trouble, scrabble, clue. Cranium is a great game but it costs a lot of money. I play a couple CCG too, UM, YuGiOh, and the Mario Party e (it's a game you play with ereader cards).
Posted Image

#12 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 07:43 PM

If you actually like the mechanics of YuGeOh, try out Magic: The Gathering. It's what YuGe's cartoon was based on(the newbie's view of Magic), and the game was synthesized from the cartoon. Try the Original. And still best.

#13 Kinnikusauce

Kinnikusauce

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 10:38 PM

If you actually like the mechanics of YuGeOh, try out Magic: The Gathering. It's what YuGe's cartoon was based on(the newbie's view of Magic), and the game was synthesized from the cartoon. Try the Original. And still best.

I only really play YuGiOh because my brothers play. So I just play with them.
Posted Image

#14 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 04:46 PM

Suggest trying Magic to them. It'll stick around in the next four years when the YuGi thing has passed like The Poke'game did.

#15 Raven Man

Raven Man

Backround-Filler Chojin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 08:39 PM

I've played both Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic.
I prefer Yu-Gi-Oh for the following reasons:
-More balance between cards
-More strategy involved
-Cooler monsters
-Consistant art style
-Trap cards
-No mana cards

BTW: You can't base your opinion of this card game by the show really, because they have all sorts of messed-up nonexistant rules or card conditions (especially in season one), and the characters don't build realistic decks and they only have melodramatic duels that go on for multiple episodes because of the constant explanation of the current situation/card effects.

And I acknowledge in advance that Magic may have changed since I've last played years ago.

#16 Kinnikusauce

Kinnikusauce

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 09:57 PM

I'm not really sure when YuGiOh will die here. It started in 96 in Japan and is still going strong now. But that is Japan and this is the US so who knows what will happen with it.
Posted Image

#17 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 08:35 PM

I've played both Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic.
I prefer Yu-Gi-Oh for the following reasons:

{SNIPPED, AND REPLIED TO}

BTW: You can't base your opinion of this card game by the show really, because they have all sorts of messed-up nonexistant rules or card conditions (especially in season one), and the characters don't build realistic decks and they only have melodramatic duels that go on for multiple episodes because of the constant explanation of the current situation/card effects.

And I acknowledge in advance that Magic may have changed since I've last played years ago.

-More balance between cards

It's being improved quite a bit. Granted, there's good and bad cards, but it's the same way in YuGiOh. Some cards make your deck work better, and some don't.

-More strategy involved

I'm not going to argue here, as I cannot fathom HOW you surmised this statement. I'm personally baffled at the statement.

-Cooler monsters

Opinion. So it goes.

-Consistant art style

Sadly, much to my chagrin, Magic has gotten more bland with its art as well... It's now mostly-realistic fantasy artwork. I personally prefer a very diverse amount of artwork on the cards. Again, this isn't really pertinent to the game itself-- only the cards themself.

-Trap cards

Learn to play Instants at the last possible moment, the best possible way to play them. That's Magic's 'trap' cards. Also, the Onslaught block brough Morph, where creatures were played face down as 2/2s for (3), but turned into their real incarnations with a 'morph cost.' A 2/2 could turn into a 4/5 Flying, Spirit-Linked Angel for only (1)WW.

-No mana cards

You didn't like Dark Ritual? Or are you refferring to LANDS? I disliked YuGi for the same reason-- My gigantic monsters are simply better than your smaller ones, because I got a ton of 'em in my opening hand and dropped them for free. That lead to less balance(a complaint of your own against Magic?) overall, and some times where you simply drew your hand and won. Not good times, and somthing Magic has tried to get rid of for quite some time.

BTW: You can't base your opinion of this card game by the show

I didn't. I learned it and played it for a few days until I made my decision, similar to what I do to nearly all games that come out(assuming I can find people to teach me, or the rules online). It's not a bad game, but I still feel that Magic is much better(and more consistent).

Most definatly. Try it again, and it's like trying it for the first time... (so I heard from someone who played during Urza's Saga a few years ago)

#18 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 08 February 2004 - 09:07 PM

Magic: The Gathering is the devil.

:o

I used to play in high school years ago; I loved it. However, it is an incredibly addictive game or was, at least, for me.

I found that I was spending all my free mental time thinking about the sh*t. I even had a few dreams about it. I had collected, and sold, three seperate collections when all was said and done.

Though I haven't played Yu-Gi-Oh -- and don't desire to -- I imagine it's got the same addictive quality as MTG, despite the differences.
Posted Image

#19 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 09 February 2004 - 01:46 PM

I see theorgg handled things well enough without me around. :cry: Remember a while back, with that guy that said Yu-Gi-Oh! would actually surpass Magic after a year or two? :huh:

#20 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 02:19 PM

Yea, I remember that. That was about... two years ago, wasn't it?

Then again, I didn't see it at WalMart at all... but then again, that's WalMart. They don't ~NEED~ to sell Magic. Leave that to the hobby stores that have playspace. They need the $$$ more.

Soupie, It's still addictive, if you let it be. Some people have personalities that make things more addictive than most. Personally, I love games, and play as much as I can...

But then again, I know that it's only a game... that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it.

#21 Adamantiumwulf

Adamantiumwulf

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1900 posts
  • Interests:Sega Master System and Segas other Consoles and games., Legos
    Transformers
    Baseball cards
    various action figures

Posted 09 February 2004 - 03:38 PM

Has anyoner ever played solar quest? It's like monopoly but with the planets and moons.
"I've always believed that a lot of the trouble in the world would disappear if we were talking to each other instead of about each other." Ronald Regan - April 11, 1984

#22 Raven Man

Raven Man

Backround-Filler Chojin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 12:14 AM

Has anyoner ever played solar quest? It's like monopoly but with the planets and moons.

Then that would just make it Star Wars Monopoly :huh:

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com