FAN ART CHALLENGE No. 2!

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#51 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:57 PM

Well, here is my sketch so far. My scanner must use nuclear light to scan pictures cause you can't see any of my background sketching. Though there wasn't much to begin with. It's hardly done. I'm in the process of trying to fill it out more, and I also added some color to it. That's right I was digging out in storage and found my old School bag and low and behold I found some Colored pencils in it. But they are cheap pencils and I'm a bit limited with the colors, so It might not be perfect. Well, thought I'd just show this so you guys know I'm actually trying to do something. Sorry to be so last minute, but I've been busy with other things for most of the month. ^_^

Posted Image

Posted Image

#52 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:47 PM

Nice job URS, I like how the Wood Beetle is looking over him. Very kewl!

WhiteLeo

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#53 meatcutta78

meatcutta78

Im a M.U.S.C.L.E head.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2479 posts
  • Interests:I'm all about mono mini sculpts! , I also like long walks on the beach and wearing G-Strings in the privacy of my home.

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:59 PM

URS i love the sketch its coming out great.Now what i am trying to figure out is what exactly is Wood Beetle trying to grab to cause such a reaction. ^_^ j/k.It's really coming out great can't wait to see some color added.

White Leo love the new avatar.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#54 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:51 AM

URS i love the sketch its coming out great.Now what i am trying to figure out is what exactly is Wood Beetle trying to grab to cause such a reaction. :lol: j/k.It's really coming out great can't wait to see some color added.

White Leo love the new avatar.

OH CRAP!!! :D I just now noticed that! Just to clarify, Wood Beetle is supposed to have surprised Buffy with the swing of his staff, not by trying to molest anyone. :D Only you would catch that. :lol:

Posted Image

#55 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 11:35 AM

Nice crisp smooth lines URS. Great work! Anyone else submitting? Hope so. Contest ends tonight, right?

#56 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 11:53 AM

Nice crisp smooth lines URS. Great work! Anyone else submitting? Hope so. Contest ends tonight, right?

I will be, but not as an actual entry. I think the contest ends a month after being posted (10th), but WhiteLeo will know for sure.

#57 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 12:53 PM

Phew... got it in just in time! Below you see the first sketch, then the final painted and inked work. Its size is 18" by 24".

Attached Files

#58 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 01:02 PM

Phew... got it in just in time! Below you see the first sketch, then the final painted and inked work.

So the contest is over now right? :D :lol: Geez Tortle! I think your hand drawn art is much better than your computer art. :D

Posted Image

#59 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 01:16 PM

Wow Nate, that is really, really great!

#60 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 30 September 2007 - 01:32 PM

I will be, but not as an actual entry. I think the contest ends a month after being posted (10th), but WhiteLeo will know for sure.

Yeah, Johnny is right, 10th will be the actual deadline, but if everyone is finished before then we can shorten it.

Phew... got it in just in time! Below you see the first sketch, then the final painted and inked work. Its size is 18" by 24".

Nate that is awsome!!!, but your second scetch isn't working for me? Anyone else having this problem.

WhiteLeo

I will never quit.

#61 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 01:35 PM

Thanks guys! :D And Leo, the problem might be that I was editing the post at the same time you were looking at it. You might want to try again.

#62 meatcutta78

meatcutta78

Im a M.U.S.C.L.E head.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2479 posts
  • Interests:I'm all about mono mini sculpts! , I also like long walks on the beach and wearing G-Strings in the privacy of my home.

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:44 PM

:speechless: :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#63 Czarcher

Czarcher

Ruling Lands Far And Wide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
  • Interests:Ultraman,
    Dragon Ball
    Kinnikuman,GPK

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:57 PM

Nate that is Awesome !
Good job ! You could be 2 for 2 now.

#64 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:29 PM

Nate that is Awesome !
Good job ! You could be 2 for 2 now.

Yeah, that rocks! Nice job!

#65 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:44 AM

Well, since the deadline has been extended to the 10th, and I think Nate blows mine away, I'm going to do another one.

#66 Czarcher

Czarcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
    Dragon Ball
    Kinnikuman,GPK

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:29 AM

Well, since the deadline has been extended to the 10th, and I think Nate blows mine away, I'm going to do another one.

I thought it was only 1 entry per person,
-??

#67 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:48 AM

-??

Actually the new rule was...
QUOTE(Reccoom Kaboom @ Sep 27 2007, 08:15 PM)
4. Can we have the voting at one per person this time?
WhiteLeo:
4. Yeah, I think we will do just one vote per person this time.

So you see, that's one VOTE, not one ENTRY.
Don't be scared. You can do another one too.

#68 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:22 AM

-??

Actually the new rule was...
QUOTE(Reccoom Kaboom @ Sep 27 2007, 08:15 PM)
4. Can we have the voting at one per person this time?
WhiteLeo:
4. Yeah, I think we will do just one vote per person this time.

So you see, that's one VOTE, not one ENTRY.
Don't be scared. You can do another one too.

Yeap, do as many as you like! The more the marrier! I would love to see another one done by you Bryce. Test your might! MORTAL KOMBAT!!!! :blink:

I will never quit.

#69 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:49 AM

That is just AWESOME!! :blink:

Hands down winner - don't even bother voting.

EDIT - I guess I should also add that it’s not just the quality I appreciate about Tortle’s drawing. There’s a fluidity and real sense of scale to it. He’s captured the look, but to me he’s also captured the character – which is often most important. This is the kind of picture that ends up on a comic book cover, for the previously mentioned reasons plus the story it tells without any context.

Edited by General Veers, 01 October 2007 - 06:53 AM.

#70 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:56 AM

Thanks dude!

This is the kind of picture that ends up on a comic book cover...

Interesting that you should say that! I didn't want to have the characters in a static beauty pose, so I flipped through a bunch of comic books for interesting action-oriented poses. Sunshine's pose was inspired by a frame of Solomon Grundy whupping up on Superman (which was in an issue of Justice by Alex Ross). Wood Beetle's pose was inspired by a frame in which Captain Marvel was fighting Superman (from a different issue of Justice).

I wanted to intertwine the characters so that they're interacting more with each other, so I had Beetle spear Sunshine through his black hole (which sounds somewhat naughty). I also increased the size of Sunshine's left fist and arm to give a bit of perspective so it seems like Sunshine is huge and just about to bring the smack down on Beetle.

Sunshine is based solely on his MUSCLE figure. So, instead of giving him realistic hands, I tried to replicate the hands of the MUSCLE. And instead of changing his expression to make it more anger-driven, I just gave him the same expression as on #64. I thought the blank smile might seem somewhat creepy, too.

Wood Beetle was pretty difficult to render. I based it very much on Marty's Wood Beetle custom. Unfortunately, I was pretty far along in the process by the time Leo had posted the Japanese scan, so a lot of his details are probably inaccurate. Also, I wasn't sure what his face would look like, so I just made it a big mandible.

#71 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:46 AM

Yeah Veers, I felt the same way, but since it's a Fan Art CHALLENGE, and I've just been knocked down but not out, I'm going to fight another round and see if I can pull off something better. Plus there are more entries coming, so this could be a really tough challenge.

#72 Czarcher

Czarcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
    Dragon Ball
    Kinnikuman,GPK

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:33 AM

Yeap, do as many as you like! The more the marrier! I would love to see another one done by you Bryce. Test your might! MORTAL KOMBAT!!!! :lol:

:) I'll try to come up with something,but at this point its kinda futile I think.
But its just for fun right? So we'll see. :)

#73 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:34 AM

Well, when I beat everybody, I'll be nice and give the RamenMan to the someone else. :lol:

...................yeah right. :)

Posted Image

#74 Czarcher

Czarcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
    Dragon Ball
    Kinnikuman,GPK

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:40 AM

EDIT - I guess I should also add that it’s not just the quality I appreciate about Tortle’s drawing. There’s a fluidity and real sense of scale to it. He’s captured the look, but to me he’s also captured the character – which is often most important. This is the kind of picture that ends up on a comic book cover, for the previously mentioned reasons plus the story it tells without any context.

Don't be so sure ! We have'nt seen what Johnny has been working on. He could bust out something that could totally blow your mind ! :)

#75 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:43 AM

Don't be so sure ! We have'nt seen what Johnny has been working on. He could bust out something that could totally blow your mind ! :)

True, but my entry, even if it's tops (which I seriously doubt, haha) isn't going to be voted on.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com