10 replies to this topic

#1 Rokk

Rokk

Alton Brown's Evil Twin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 03:07 PM

Now this mobile suit truly epitomzes some of the silly themed mobile suits in G Gundam. But, believe me, he is not the silliest one out there. I think the windmill Gundam might get that honor. Anyway, I wanted to get this figure just because it is ginchy.

Looks: 3.5 out of 5
This is a mobile suit people will either hate or love. Either way, he definately is not boring or generic looking. Silly, to be sure, this mobile suit still looks pretty neat. The sculpting is solid. The paint job is solid. The blue and yellow combo works. The four finned red tail gives a good splash of bright color and an interesting look.

Articulation: 3.5 out of 5
Considering his bulky fish body, this mobile suit still retains a good amount of articulation. There is articulation at the neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists, hip, knees, ankles and tail. The range of motion at the hip is not as wide due to the fish body. The articulation at the end of the tail is enough to allow the figure to stand in robot form.

Accessories: 2.5 out of 5
What Mermaid Gundam would be complete without a trusty trident? None and that is why this mobile suit has a large grey and yellow trident to skewer his enemies. It reminds me of the trident that King Neptune from The Little Mermaid had. Anyway, the Trident is ok. At least it has some color rather than being entirely grey. This mobile suit also comes with 2 closed fists and 2 open fists to hold the trident. They all pop on and off the wrist with minimal force.

Action Features: 4 out of 5
It TURNS INTO A FISH! C'mon, what else does any self respecting Mermaid Gundam want to do other than turn into a giant fish for easy travel through the seven seas? I love the fish form. Yep, it is goofy, but I dig it. Transforming the mobile suit into fish form is easy. The torso opens up and the arms fold inside and the legs are pushed up inside as well. As the legs are pushed inside, a cover (the fish mouth) complete with a small clear plastic porthole snaps in place covering the head of the mobile suit making a perfect fish submarine.

Coolness: 4 out of 5
What more could you want? This figure is cool just because it is a fun figure. Very campy but very unique in the world of giant Japanese fighting robots.

Overall: 3.5 out of 5
This mobile suit is a weird and welcome addition to the very serious world of Gundams. A unique looking figure that will surely stand out on your shelf.

Attached Files

#2 Rokk

Rokk

Alton Brown's Evil Twin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 03:11 PM

In fish form.

Attached Files

#3 Rokk

Rokk

Alton Brown's Evil Twin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 03:14 PM

Porthole side of fish form.

Attached Files

#4 ToyMan

ToyMan

geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 03:22 PM

yeah, they reviewed this figure at newtype asylum early last month.

i picked up gundam zebra instead. :cry:

#5 Rokk

Rokk

Alton Brown's Evil Twin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 05:16 PM

I saw Gundam Zebra at Target when I got my other figures. That mobile suit didn't do anything for me. I did almost get the Skull Gundam, though.

Thanks for the link to Newtype Asylum. I haven't been to site before. It definately is a sweet Gundam site!

#6 ToyMan

ToyMan

geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 06:19 PM

oh, and my advice: do not buy the neo-portugal jester gundam. it has some neat features, but it's nearly impossible to stand up.

#7 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 06:39 PM

You've posted some good reviews recently, Rokk! Good job! Anyway, I thought this guy was pretty interesting, too. He kind of reminds me of some of the Seacons from the later years of the Transformers line (Skalor looks a lot like him).

I'm not too into the Gundam line, but if I did end up getting one, it would probably be one of these G (goofy) Gundams. Normal Gundams seem more like models to me, while the G Gundams seem more like toys. I've been seriously thinking about that Skull Gundam, actually. He sort of reminds me of Gaiking in a way...

-Nathan

#8 Rokk

Rokk

Alton Brown's Evil Twin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 06:46 PM

oh, and my advice: do not buy the neo-portugal jester gundam. it has some neat features, but it's nearly impossible to stand up.

Dude, that sucks. I wanted to get that figure. I thought he'd make a great addition to my Gundam collection since he is so visually unusual. I really want to get a Dark Gundam and a Walter Gundam. Those two look sweet. But, they haven't turned up at Target yet.

#9 Rokk

Rokk

Alton Brown's Evil Twin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 07:27 PM

Thanks for the compliment, Nathan.

Seacons! Talk about a blast from the past. I never thought about the similarity between this figure and the Seacons. You are right, Skalor does look like this figure.

I agree with you about normal Gundams being more like models. I'm not a big fan of models so I usually steer more toward the Gundams that are more toy like. Also, more of the normal Gundams are being made out of action figure plastic rather than model plastic. I know a lot of people quickly discount the G Gundam line as just goofy and not as good as the other Gundam lines. I have to disagree. This goofiness is not a negative. It is a positive. The G Gundam figures aren't supposed to be hyper realistic military combat robots. I like their tongue in cheek personalities. They are a little more fun and definately quite unique. Plus, they make rather cool toys.

The Skull Gundam is probably going to be one of the next Gundams I pick up. And, I never thought about Gaiking, but now that you mention there is a vague similarity between the two.

#10 ToyMan

ToyMan

geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 11:18 AM

for the most-part, g gundam mecha design whups some gundam wing arse, that's for sure!

#11 Rokk

Rokk

Alton Brown's Evil Twin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 12:41 PM

for the most-part, g gundam mecha design whups some gundam wing arse, that's for sure!

:lol: I totally agree with you on that!

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com