63 replies to this topic

#51 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:32 PM

So it is the last spell cast takes priority. I believe that is the easiest way to explain it.

Okay, I think that makes sense. So, nothing resolves until everyone is done responding. In other words, in the first scenario, even though he cast the Giant Growth it didn't take affect until everyone had a chance to respond... and their responses took priority. So technically the creature never became 5/5 because even though he cast the Giant Growth first... it was the last to take affect and by then, the Grizzly Bears were gone.

Edit: Er, they weren't gone, he saved them, but you know what I mean. :D

I think I got it. Thanks!

Edited by Soupie, 15 July 2009 - 07:34 PM.

Posted Image

#52 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:50 PM

I bought a few cards from the Magic 2010 set. I bought 2 Drowned Catacomb's and 1 Platinum Angel. ;)

Drowned Catacomb

Platinum Angel

Anyone else buy any?

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#53 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:10 PM

I bought 3 Serra Angels (and one 5th edition Serra). Obviously, Serra's not a new card though. I saw the Platinum Angel and thought it was pretty wild. And I'll be getting 4 of the those Catacombs for my Blue/Black deck. :D

I'm interested in building a deck around a Planeswalker eventually too. ;)

Edited by Soupie, 23 July 2009 - 06:15 PM.

Posted Image

#54 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:17 PM

I bought 3 Serra Angels (and one 5th edition Serra). Obviously, Serra's not a new card though. I saw the Platinum Angel and thought it was pretty wild. And I'll be getting 4 of the those Catacombs for my Blue/Black deck. :D

I love Serra Angel that is was a standard when playing an Angel Deck. Yeah if you can afford the Duals the Catacombs are the way to go. Oh, you might also look at Watery Grave. That is another one for a Blue/Black Deck. I need to get one more of those myself.

I have 2 Undgerground Seas, 1 Watery Grave and 2 Drowned Catacombs. ;) I love dual lands!!!! :)

I will never quit.

#55 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:40 PM

Ooh, I'm tempted to get those new dual lands myself. They're at least in the top three in efficient dual-land cycles, if not the best yet, and I've always been notably light in duals of any kind in my collection (aside from Tainted lands).

#56 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:17 AM

I miss my Beta dual lands something fierce. :)
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#57 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:12 AM

Here's how M:TG actually moves through its turns, and how spells resolve.

The person whose turn it is (the Active Player) recieves priority at the beginning of a phase. If they pass priority on an empty stack (a spell had not been played), the non-active player(s, passing to the left) get the chance to place something on the stack. If they do not, they also pass priority, and the game moves to the next part of the turn (say from Upkeep to Draw).

When the active player plays a spell, they retain priority, and the spell sits on the stack, waiting for the game to tell it to resolve. The active player may play as many spells to the stack as they want (though usually they don't, so you have to specify you're 'retaining priority' if you are going to play multiple spells at once). When the active player does not want to play any more spells, he or she passes priority. Then the non active player (and if multiple, the priority circles around clockwise) then has the chance to play as many spells as he/she/it wants. When the non active player is finished, he or she passes priority. Then the active player gets priority again. Note that no spell has resolved. When the active player passes, and the non-active player passes, the TOP SPELL OR EFFECT on the stack resolves. ONLY the top one. This was referred to as "LIFO," or Last In, First Out.

For the stack to fully resolve, each player will have to pass for each spell on the stack. If anyone plays another card at any point, it goes onto the top of the stack.

Now for the example:

Ash's Goblin Hero is attacking Sue. Sue plays Lightning Bolt on Goblin Hero. Ash responds with Giant Growth. Currently the stack is, bottom to top: Lightning Bolt, Giant Growth. Ash has priority. He passes it. Sue has priority, and she passes it. Giant Growth Resolves, and the Gobin Hero is 5/5. Ash has priority, and the stack has a Lightning Bolt on it. Ash passes. Sue now can pass, letting Lightning Bolt resolve. Gobbin Hero is now 5/5 with three damage one it. Sue blocks it with her 2/1 First Striking Vashino Spearchucker. Go Sue.

Another example. Leo, playing an all-black M10 booster drafted deck, attacks Soups with a Looming Shade. Soups, playing a blue-green deck with three mountains and two Lightning Bolts, says "No blocks." Leo pays all eight of his avaible black mana and says "Pump it for eight. Take nine." Soups says "Before passing priority while the eight activations of Looming Shade's ability is on the stack, I Bolt the Looming Shade." The stack would be: Looming Shade Activation 1,Looming Shade Activation 2, Looming Shade Activation 3, Looming Shade Activation 4, Looming Shade Activation 5, Looming Shade Activation 6, Looming Shade Activation 7, Looming Shade Activation 8, Bolt targetting Looming Shade. Leo passes priority (he's tapped out). Soups passes priority (he's got another kill spell in hand, but it costs more and he's got plans at the end of Leo's turn for the mana), and the Lightning Bolt resolves, dealing three damage to the currently 1/1 shade. The game checks state based effects (such as damage, life total, poison counters, etc) and sees a 1/1 creature with damage greater than or equal to its toughness and places it into the graveyard. Then when Leo and Soups pass priority, each activation will do nothing because the shade is no loinger in play. (they would be 'countered upon resolution due to illigal or non-existant *term I forgot*)

And now you know more than 60% of the people who play Magic about Magic.
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#58 lhssenior

lhssenior

Toy Addict

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1464 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:18 PM

In the simplest of terms, the way the stack resolves is - last in, first out. If someone plays a spell or effect after your spell or effect, theirs will happen before yours. It's kind of like getting in the last word.
-Barry

#59 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:54 PM

So guys, any thoughts on the new Planechase set coming out and the new Planar cards? I love multi-player games to begin with because they allow more time to get higher-costing creatures and combos into play, and I think the Planar cards will just add another layer of fun to the mix. And this set is definitely geared toward casual multi-player games. (Not that I have a ton of people to play multi-player games with.)

Anyhow, the best quick description of Planar cards is from the Gathering Magic blog: "There is one rotating, semi-random global enchantment in play at all times.” Now, they're a little more complicated than that, and a lot more fun. The physical cards are actually larger than a regular card as well. Here's a look at one:

Posted Image

There's only one Planar card in play at a time. Which ever Planar card is in play is the "plane" that players are on. Here's another:

Posted Image

:notme:

Pretty fun. I could see some people really not liking this because it's definitely random. However, one would just have to build a new deck with this in mind.

Here's a look at some of the Planechase deck packs.

Edited by Soupie, 17 August 2009 - 07:55 PM.

Posted Image

#60 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:45 PM

Those and the planeswalkers remind me of Vanguard Cards. I don't know if you remember those. I had a whole bunch of them. Squee, Selena, Tareth ect....

I don't get the rolling part of the cards. What is that about?

I will never quit.

#61 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:56 PM

I don't fully understand the deal with these (just the finer points, I mean) but I am definitely intrigued. And yeah, these totally remind me of Vanguard cards - which were also oversized - as well as global Auras/Enchant Worlds/Global Enchantments, but framed more like Planeswalkers, which makes sense.

Also, I love some of the regions getting Plane cards, like Panopticon, Grixis, The Fourth Sphere (PHYREXIA!!!), and the Izzet Maze.

Last but not least, the way Vesuva's card art reflects all five different colors of magic is beautiful.

Edited by Boaconda, 17 August 2009 - 08:56 PM.

#62 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:10 PM

The Vanguard concept I like.

The price for one of each set of cards ($150) I don't like. The sets are $30 apiece if I recall correctly, and there's five of 'em.
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

#63 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:20 PM

There's only four sets, and they're $20 MSRP, so $80 total for the 40 different Plane cards, four dice, and the 60-card decks. Not terrible for modern-day MTG pricing.

Also, I made the mistake of thinking these were part of the new set, when they're just an in-between "expansion" before the actual new block (now I see the decks include Zendikar stuff).

#64 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:24 PM

That's much better than the rumored price circa six months ago.

Maybe they saw the outrage online and priced 'em down.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com