#26 Nachoz God of Metal

Nachoz God of Metal

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:32 PM

I'd go for Yoda but since he's smaller I think he deserves more accessories

Edited by Nachoz God of Metal, 18 January 2008 - 12:37 PM.

#27 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:41 AM

I'm gonna try to get over to target today. I know they probably will be out, but I'm hoping they at least have one of the figures I want. I think I'll only buy the characters I like. I have a bad habit of becoming a completest, but I'll probably avoid the plain figures.

I really like the Way grievous will look. I think Leia and Lando needs a blaster though. :lol:

Posted Image

#28 Czarcher

Czarcher

Ruling Lands Far And Wide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
  • Interests:Ultraman,
    Dragon Ball
    Kinnikuman,GPK

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:58 PM

My Target put out a fresh case today,but they were all the ones we've had before. So I picked up the Darth Vader,his box is perfect ! Sweet !
I was gonna buy the only one they had left a few days ago,a Stormtrooper. But as I let my 4 year old daughter look at it from inside the shopping cart,she dropped it on the floor :) . And would'nt ya know it,it fell right on the corner of the box,smashing it pretty good.

Sooooooo , we'll just put that right back on the shelffffffff. :lol:

It did'nt bother someone though,as it was sold within the next couple days.
Still lookin for Han and Chewie though.

Attached Files

Edited by Czarcher, 30 January 2008 - 09:14 AM.

#29 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:25 PM

Score! I got Chewbacca and Darth Vadar! :) How many come in a case CZ? Six? Cause they had the same 6 figures that they had last week. Three Hans, two Chewys, and 1 Vadar. So either no one has bought any of the last ones, or these were just put out. I didn't notice that my Vadar had been opened till I got home though. :p There is a glue tape that they stick on the inner flaps of the box that holds the top flap to keep it from opening, and it was tore open. No biggie though, I was planning on opening them anyways.

They are just as high quality as they look in the package. Although I thought they were going to be a Soft vinyl. They are more of a plastic or hard vinyl if you ask me. ;) Still cool figures! What do you reckon the square peg holes are for on the bottom of their feet?

Why would they put 3 hans in a case though? :lol: These would sell better if they were evenly packed.

I'm gonna try to find the rest of them if I can. I want the Trooper and Boba at least. Maul can wait, cause I don't really like his shirt. As far as series 2 is concerned, I'm only gonna get C3PO if any.

Posted Image

#30 Czarcher

Czarcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
    Dragon Ball
    Kinnikuman,GPK

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:04 PM

URS: They come 4 to a case.

I did'nt know they had peg holes on the bottoms of their feet = Curious.

#31 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 12:33 PM

Well, each figure only has one peg hole on their right foot, I think. Maybe there will be some kind of stands or cases available or something.

4 to a case? Odd. I found a site where you can order figures for series 2 that said they come 6 to a case. Guess it doesn't matter.

Hey CZ, how often do you guys restock the toys at Target? Once a week, or as you get a shipment? I'd really like to get a Boba and a Trooper, but I'll have to get there the day they restock them to pull that off I'm sure. I'll have to check ToysRus if I get the chance, but the only one is like an hour from my house. So it's unlikely that I'll be going there anytime soon.

Posted Image

#32 Czarcher

Czarcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
    Dragon Ball
    Kinnikuman,GPK

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:16 PM

Maybe it is 6 to a case. You're probably right.
My Target gets shipments in every other day,but theres no telling how much toys or what toys were ordered.

#33 Czarcher

Czarcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
    Dragon Ball
    Kinnikuman,GPK

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:17 AM

Actually URS I think it might be 4 to a case. We had none on the shelf yesterday,but we got a shipment today,and at lunch time I went out to see if anything was new,and there were 4 sitting on the shelf. Han,Chewie,Maul,Fett. I picked up the Chewie !

Attached Files

#34 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:16 AM

I guess I wasn't the only SW fan unimpressed with these. Over at Rebelscum, right now, 40% of voters really dislike these. Check it out: http://www.rebelscum...8.asp?v=0&k=938

#35 cassel87

cassel87

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:44 PM

i like them. my laser girlfriend got me one as a present yesterday for being the coolest boyfriend in the world. She got me boba fett. he is awesome. She bought it at a clothing store in new york city. They are really cool though. I like the concept drawings for series 3 and 4. they are awesome, but not as awesome as sweeny todd, and the sound track.
if my turtles ate my toys, id have to eat my turtles

#36 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:05 PM

I guess I wasn't the only SW fan unimpressed with these. Over at Rebelscum, right now, 40% of voters really dislike these. Check it out: http://www.rebelscum...8.asp?v=0&k=938

Also, an additional 30% think they're neat but not cool enough to buy. So a whopping 70% of these Star Wars fans won't be buying Mighty Muggs at all. <_< Something tells me the Mighty Muggs will be going the way of the POTJ Mega Action line pretty soon.

Personally, I think the style is kind of nifty, but they're too pricey for me to get into the line. If they were under $10, I might be into them. But $15 for the same figure with a different deco is too much for me. Especially since there's really no reason why these figures can't be cheaper.

#37 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:12 PM

Shouldn't write the line off as a failure just from one silly website poll. It's not even that important whether a majority of SW fans love it, because it's the exact sort of toyline that's going to attract the attention of people with minimal interest in Star Wars that think they're cool, the urban vinyl crowd, kids who think they're cute (and have generous parents), and even scalpers who know collectors of various types will go after them.

I wouldn't collect them myself, but could easily see myself go after one or two, like Vader or Boba Fett, or Venom when the Marvel version of the line comes out. It's in that way that these things will probably sell.

Edited by Boaconda, 30 January 2008 - 01:13 PM.

#38 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:18 PM

It's not even that important whether a majority of SW fans love it, because it's the exact sort of toyline that's going to attract the attention of people with minimal interest in Star Wars that think they're cool, the urban vinyl crowd, kids who think they're cute (and have generous parents), and even scalpers who know collectors of various types will go after them.

I think that’s exactly the type of person that wouldn’t buy it. These are mass produced figures influenced by the cool vinyl figures. If vinyl figures are NWA or the Beatles, these Muggs are Vanilla Ice and the Monkees – same genre, completely different genesis.

As for the “cute” audience and scalpers, the glut of failed SW lines show that even these types can’t keep a line alive.

#39 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:37 PM

...it's the exact sort of toyline that's going to attract the attention of people with minimal interest in Star Wars that think they're cool, the urban vinyl crowd, kids who think they're cute (and have generous parents), and even scalpers who know collectors of various types will go after them.

Catching the eye of the minimal-interest Star Wars collector is pretty unlikely. Mighty Muggs are pretty expensive and very stylized. There might be a few of these purchases, but not many. These would mainly appeal to high-interest Star Wars collectors looking to diversify their collections. If casual fans are looking to buy Star Wars toys, they'll most likely go for the 4" line which is more representative of the characters that they know.

The urban vinyl crowd might go for it, but they might instead be looking for something more original than this stuff. The appeal of the urban vinyl toys is the artistic detail and unique designs, neither of which Mighty Muggs have.

Scalpers will probably eat up Mighty Muggs for a while. But scalpers don't drive a collectible, fan interest does. So, Mighty Muggs that turn collectors off at $15 sure as crap won't sell for more than that, no matter how "rare" scalpers make them seem.

I think you're right in that the "cute" Star Wars collectors will probably drive the sales of Mighty Muggs. Probably some of those who dig Galactic Heroes like this line, too. But that's kind of a small sub-segment, and judging from fan reactions, not even very many Galactic Heroes fans dig these vinyls.

All I'm saying is that I'm predicting this line won't last beyond wave 3. I like the line just fine, and if (when?) they go on clearance, I might pick a few up. But I just don't see this line being as successful as Galactic Heroes.

#40 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:38 PM

And were Galactic Heroes written off so easily?

I'm not saying this is going to be an expansive and hugely popular line for the Star Wars franchise. Especially because this will not be for SW alone. I'm offering an opinion based on comments from people that seem to regard these products in a way similar to the way I did, not the uber-fans that frequent a place like Rebelscum. You know how the cliche goes... time will tell.

EDIT: Because of the annoying slowness of these forums, I had to submit this something like five times before it got posted. It was in reference to the post from Veers, not yours as well Nate. If I can, I'll respond to your post too.

Edited by Boaconda, 30 January 2008 - 01:41 PM.

#41 Czarcher

Czarcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
    Dragon Ball
    Kinnikuman,GPK

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:50 PM

I don't see these going on clearance. The shelves are'nt piled up with these,and they seem to sell like hot cakes at my store. They only cost $9.99 Nate,so I don't know if its your area that has them for $15,or you were misinformed. These seem to sell pretty well on eGay too.

#42 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:58 PM

I think it was TRU where I saw them. You're probably right, it might have been $10. I just remember looking at them and balking at the price.

The ones I like are Chewie (which I've seen but didn't have the money) and Stormtrooper (which I haven't seen, and may never will). Darth Maul is probably the most interesting design, but he's a Prequel character, so that pretty much excludes him from consideration. <_< I might pick up Chewie and Stormie if I have some extra money, but I'm not going to go out of my way for them. I just imagine opening them up and being bored because there's no articulation and no sculpting detail, so I'm hesitant. And the price tag further gives me cause for hesitation.

#43 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:19 PM

Speaking as a lapsed Star Wars collector (when i had to make cuts to my toy collection, hundreds of SW figures were the first to go with no regrets), i did find these really immediately appealing.

I collected the Galactic Heroes line before they were called Galactic Heroes (then sold them when the prices went through the roof...made like five times what i spent), and now i collect Superhero Squad figures. So i guess you could say i'm really prone to buying the "cute" versions of things as opposed to the standard figures.

That being said, i've seen these several times in stores now and can't really make myself buy them. The fact that they're so expensive and the fact that only half of them seem to come with weapons (WTF Hasbro??) just makes it look like another stab at the wallet of completist Star Wars collectors with very little thought put into it. It's all essentially the same figure with different paint, and a look at the next waves as someone mentioned showcases the standard "now buy Luke THREE more times" mentality that Hasbro approaches this brand with.

So maybe the Star Wars completists are getting to the point where they've had enough? The combination of high price and low variety might be giving people the freedom they don't usually feel to say "okay, i'm gonna pass on these".

All in all, i think i'm definitely going to pass, although i'll probably get suckered into buying the inevitable Marvel versions of the same line, and then probably the Optimus Prime figure when they shoehorn Transformers into the whole deal. <_<
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#44 Czarcher

Czarcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
    Dragon Ball
    Kinnikuman,GPK

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:28 PM

I dunno. I think they're relitively cheap. I mean they're only 3 bucks more than a regular 4 inch figure. :unsure:

#45 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:42 PM

I dunno. I think they're relitively cheap. I mean they're only 3 bucks more than a regular 4 inch figure. :unsure:

They're also hollow, low on articulation, light on accessories (or accessory-free) and they only needed to sculpt one. I don't know, to me that just makes it seem like they should be cheaper. $3 isn't much, granted, but it represents almost a 50% price increase over buying a standard figure. If you're someone who has to make a lot of choices when it comes to toy buying, i think that's enough. Look at the transition of a line like Marvel Legends when it went to Hasbro. Even though the figures are still mostly cool, something like a $2 increase was enough to turn a whole lot of people off to a line they'd been 100%-ing for years. The first wave was so hotly anticipated, and then they hit shelves at $10 instead of $8, and in a lot of regions that first wave met its demise as an RTV. The only fate worse than the clearance aisle. And that's only a 25% increase.

What this represents for their target audience is "another line on the pile", out of a franchise that's already milked so many collectors for thousands of dollars. If you're going to do that and do it successfully, the line should either be slightly cheaper than your flagship line, or be smaller and in two-packs, which is probably what makes Galactic Heroes so successful.
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#46 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:14 PM

Catching the eye of the minimal-interest Star Wars collector is pretty unlikely. Mighty Muggs are pretty expensive and very stylized.

Being stylized can work in their favor as well, at least for a easily-notable character like Vader or Fett. As for price, I know I sure as heck balked after seeing what price a simple SW action figure commands. Both GI Joe and Transformers have more bang for the buck at that price, and at least these are a bit bigger.

There might be a few of these purchases, but not many. These would mainly appeal to high-interest Star Wars collectors looking to diversify their collections. If casual fans are looking to buy Star Wars toys, they'll most likely go for the 4" line which is more representative of the characters that they know.

The characters they know? I know SW fans complain about way too many of the same characters, but the only standard-looking characters I find among the racks are a Vader or two and a Trooper if I'm lucky. I don't care about comic two-packs or fan's choices of "guy in the corner of the Cantina," etc. I can't remember the last time I've seen a proper Boba Fett, and probably could have easily missed the McQuarrie one from a distance by thinking it was a Stormtrooper, for example. And he's not even that major, just well-known. The Emperor, Leia, Han Solo? Around Christmas time in a supermarket, maybe. (I exaggerated that part for effect, but only slightly.)

It's not hard to understand what's going on in that case. Hasbro's stuck relying more on the fandom now that they don't have a movie to build hype and new fans, and they're doing more stuff that will get figures off the shelves. Most of them are not going to buy a new Luke every two months even if Hasbro makes them that often, so... ancillary characters, ho!

The urban vinyl crowd might go for it, but they might instead be looking for something more original than this stuff. The appeal of the urban vinyl toys is the artistic detail and unique designs, neither of which Mighty Muggs have.

You and Veers are probably spot-on about the urban vinyl crowd. The kind of people I'm really thinking of are more along the lines of Kubrick or Minimate collectors or "cool" twenty-somethings that are willing to buy something to represent their childhood without looking like a nerd. But not quite them. I'm having a hard time putting my finger on and articulating what I'm talking about.

Scalpers will probably eat up Mighty Muggs for a while. But scalpers don't drive a collectible, fan interest does. So, Mighty Muggs that turn collectors off at $15 sure as crap won't sell for more than that, no matter how "rare" scalpers make them seem.

Oh, I'm not saying that about scalpers. I just know that they must want to do exactly what you're saying and gobble them up as they show up. Just their own small contribution, not fuel for the line.

I think you're right in that the "cute" Star Wars collectors will probably drive the sales of Mighty Muggs. Probably some of those who dig Galactic Heroes like this line, too. But that's kind of a small sub-segment, and judging from fan reactions, not even very many Galactic Heroes fans dig these vinyls.

I guess I can agree with that, and I am a budding Robot Heroes collector myself.

All I'm saying is that I'm predicting this line won't last beyond wave 3. I like the line just fine, and if (when?) they go on clearance, I might pick a few up. But I just don't see this line being as successful as Galactic Heroes.

I can also agree it won't turn out the way Galactic Heroes did, but one thing is already guaranteed - Hasbro will try to make it happen. As I said, the first wave of Marvel Might Muggs are already designed (release date yet?), and they'll probably capitalize on the full trifecta and go with a Transformers line sooner rather than later, either for Animated or as another segment of the upcoming new Universe brand.

They're also hollow, low on articulation, light on accessories (or accessory-free) and they only needed to sculpt one. I don't know, to me that just makes it seem like they should be cheaper.

They should be cheaper, but "because they're hollow" is not a good enough reason. Ten bucks is not far from Japanese retail on Bandai toys, and even their prices have gone up as the price for oil fluctuates. If these were $7 or $8, that'd be just perfect, but for what little design and lack of unique sculpting is put into them, I'm thinking the price has to do with the license, use of packaging (kaiju get nothing but a tag), or just the crap economy at the moment. Take your pick of reasons otherwise.

Edited by Boaconda, 30 January 2008 - 04:20 PM.

#47 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:07 PM

Personally, I think the price of 10 bucks is reasonable. I look at the size more than the articulation I guess. I mean I just spent nearly 300 bucks on a lot of unarticulated Kinkeshis of many sizes last year. ;) The price also depends on the region they are being sold in, the store, and the quantity made. Compared to other Hasbro lines there aren't many of these things out there, and only a few locations carry them. I don't think the line will last past 3 series, but who knows. I think they are nifty, and I only plan on buying a few from each set. Han Solo has already proven to be the shelf warmer of the first bunch, and series 2 might sell terribly with the lacky lineup they have. ;)

I guess that's it. :unsure:

Posted Image

#48 Liz Sherman

Liz Sherman

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Stargate, Firefly, Doctor Who
    MUSCLE, Care Bears, Snorks, Boglins,
    Texas Rangers Baseball!!

Posted 02 February 2008 - 02:45 AM

The Walmarts in my area (Plano, Texas) are carrying these. I almost bought Darth Maul but decided to be good and only buy the groceries that we came for...which oddly enough weren't located anywhere near the toy aisle :lol:

Boglins I Need - any color
The Medievals: Scout Mors
The Prehistorics: Spy Dork
The Samurai: Scout Yell, Spy Yak, Spy Yum, Yen, Yule, Yarn, Yelp
Slimes: Splutter, Splurge

#49 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:34 PM

Interesting! I'll have to keep an eye out at my local Wally world. I went by there today, but they still have the same figures and stuff they have had for 2 weeks.

Posted Image

#50 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:48 PM

Well surprise surprise. Stopped through the toy department at Wal-Mart today looking for Dragon Magic eggs and ended up leaving with a Mighty Muggs Chewbacca. Wasn't me, it was the wife, i swear.

He IS pretty cool though... Although his heavy head leaves him a bit more unbalanced than i'd like for a figure that's so symmetrical. And what is up with that square peghole in his foot? They're never gonna use that! These things should come with stands.
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com