#26 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:00 PM

;)

There's some really bad news and some really good news.

First the bad news: Matt Serra injured his back and can't fight Matt Hughes December 29th. B)

Now the great news: Instead, Matt Hughes will be fighting GSP!

;)

Wow, never has such bad news turned into such good news so quickly!
Posted Image

#27 phillinley

phillinley

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:49 PM

;)

There's some really bad news and some really good news.

First the bad news: Matt Serra injured his back and can't fight Matt Hughes December 29th. B)

Now the great news: Instead, Matt Hughes will be fighting GSP!

;)

Wow, never has such bad news turned into such good news so quickly!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I was going to pay good money to watch Hughes wipe the floor with Serra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I felt 100% certain hughes would beat Serra. But GSP, I dunno.

#28 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:23 PM

MMA may have seen its first death in North America http://sports.yahoo....f...o&type=lgns

It was in a promotion called "renegade extreme fighter" not a major promotion but still never good to see.

Sam Vasquez R.I.P.

#29 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 06:45 AM

That's really upsetting. Apparently the fight didn't look out of the ordinary. He took a few punches and then caught one on the chin, knocking him out. He was only 35 years old. It's really a shame.

Believe it or not, MMA is generally much safer than, say, boxing, because fighters take less damage before a fight is ended. For instance, in boxing, it's standard for a fighter to be stood back up after being knocked down and expected to continue, whereas in MMA, once a fighter is knocked down, the fight is generally stopped immediately.

Furthermore, boxers tend to sustain much more severe head trauma because their pillowed gloves allow them to punch each other in the head repeatedly without causing any cuts -- guaranteeing that a fighter will take multiple head shots until they are knocked out, whereas in MMA, one or two punches to the chin/face can either KO a fighter or cause the fight to be ended on a TKO.

A lot of people think MMA is more brutal simply because they see blood. The reason you see blood is because the fighters don't where pillows on their hands.

Having said all that, any sport that centers around violent physical contact or pushing one's body to the limits is going to have casualties.

:D
Posted Image

#30 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:16 AM

Thanks, I didn't even think to explain why this was such a shocking event in the MMA world. You knew it was just a matter of time but still.

#31 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:47 PM

This is where it should be harder to get a fighter's license.
I used to fight professionally, and it was almost like 7-11... You walk in wanting to fight, they put you on the card, and you buy a license.
Almost anybody can do it, as long as you can pass a nominal physical.
I think if promoters were a little more scrupulous, we'd see a lot less of these heinous injuries, and fatalities.

Well, I'd like to see Lesnar take Tim Sylvia to the head drop express, but other than that...

#32 nemesisbonga

nemesisbonga

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Tattooing, Art (usually printmaking or illustration) and Music (mostly classic rock and blues). BB/LB, Madballs, Deadpool and anything done by Sam Kieth or Amanda Conner. And tikis, almost forgot about the tikis haha.

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:08 PM

hey whats up guys, so will you be watching the ultimate fighter finally tonight on spike?

The tommy and mac fight should be a good fight.
"If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water"--Loren Eiseley

#33 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:40 PM

Yes, I'm watching it now. I'm impressed with the Aussie so far; everyone else has been pretty sloppy.

The fight between "Jay-Rock" and "War Machine" was one of the bloodiest I've ever seen. :yahoo: However, they had a lot of intensity, and I look forward to seeing them in the future.

It always pisses me off that MMA fighters seem to gas so quickly. I guess it has to do with the sport being so much about the "explosion" and that fact that it takes place on so many levels -- striking, clinch, and ground.
Posted Image

#34 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:06 PM

The tommy and mac fight should be a good fight.

I would have liked to see a more competitive fight here, but I'm glad it went the way it did, really. There's nothing wrong with being a good, powerful wrestler, but if this sport wants to continue growing, the more skilled, well-rounded and experienced guys like Danzig need to win the big fights. Of course it's always fun to root for the underdog, but too many upsets begin to make the sport look like a crap shoot.

Tommy's definitely got a lot of potential though, and I look forward to seeing more of him.

:yahoo:

Edited by Soupie, 08 December 2007 - 08:08 PM.

Posted Image

#35 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:26 PM

Jay Rock and War Machnine was the fight of the month. Just two warriors going at it. Dana White I can only imagine was smiling the whole fight.

#36 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:06 PM

Jay Rock and War Machnine was the fight of the month. Just two warriors going at it. Dana White I can only imagine was smiling the whole fight.

I don't know, mate, I think for once the main event of the evening, Clay and Roger, was the best fight of the night. That was an absolute battle of skill and toughness. Roger had more weapons with the knees and kicks. A great fight all around.
Posted Image

#37 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:09 PM

Thats what I get for calling my shot before the main event.

#38 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:10 PM

I figured you wrote that before the last fight.
Posted Image

#39 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:22 PM

Well, at the risk of speaking too soon myself, the big fight tonight in that "other" sport seems to be a snooze-fest at the end of round 6.

Posted Image

#40 phillinley

phillinley

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:31 PM

Well, at the risk of speaking too soon myself, the big fight tonight in that "other" sport seems to be a snooze-fest at the end of round 6.

What 'other' sport? Is anyone even watching that anymore under the age of 40? I still have mixed feelings about Danzig in this competition. The dude was an IFC lightweight champion and fought in pride. It was kind of a joke to see him fight everyone on that show and just complete expose and destroy them. I think it was an injustice to the rest of the competitors to let him in, and obviously an injustice to Danzig for not being under UFC contract earlier than now.

Good news on the heavyweight front. A certain big boy from the QC will be looking to put a belt around his waist in February.

#41 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:46 AM

If Boxing handled itself better I'd still be watching, but MMA just does a better job giving me the matches I want to see. Now that Pride and UFC are uninfying its getting even better.

I love Floyd Mayweather but I know he is not going to get knocked out, and his opponents are fighting at such a high level I'm suprised when they get knocked out. I'm just not going to pay good money for that. Even when the top level MMA fighters go at there is always suprises.

#42 phillinley

phillinley

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:20 PM

If Boxing handled itself better I'd still be watching, but MMA just does a better job giving me the matches I want to see. Now that Pride and UFC are uninfying its getting even better.

Even if boxing handled itself better I still wouldn't be watching. It's so one-dimensional compared to the UFC. I watched boxing when I was younger, but no matter what they could do to their image now, getting me to go back to watching it would be like asking a kid to go back to eating cornbread after you introduced him to chocolate.

#43 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:40 PM

I'm not going to waste valuable MMA thread space to list all thats wrong with boxing v. MMA, but I like cornbread and sometimes I don't want sweets. The simple fact is there are only one or two big fights a year in Boxing and they might be good might not. I'm not spending the money to watch two fighters dance (Mayweather v. De La Hoya) MMA has a great card once a month sometimes more. We can all agree MMA is the combat sport of the future, but I can still enjoy the artform of boxing.

#44 phillinley

phillinley

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:19 PM

I'm not going to waste valuable MMA thread space to list all thats wrong with boxing v. MMA, but I like cornbread and sometimes I don't want sweets. The simple fact is there are only one or two big fights a year in Boxing and they might be good might not. I'm not spending the money to watch two fighters dance (Mayweather v. De La Hoya) MMA has a great card once a month sometimes more. We can all agree MMA is the combat sport of the future, but I can still enjoy the artform of boxing.

Actually, I like cornbread too, i just couldn't think of anything else bland to matchup with chocolate :)

#45 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 03:56 AM

Saltines is my fall back bland food.

On topic I'm exited about the Jens "lil evil" Pulver on the WEC card Wendesday night. Of course one night a week I have to go to work early
and this week its Wed. so I'll miss half the line-up. I need to look into DVR/Tivo. We haven't had Wed. fright in months.

#46 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:40 PM

On topic I'm exited about the Jens "lil evil" Pulver on the WEC card Wendesday night. Of course one night a week I have to go to work early
and this week its Wed. so I'll miss half the line-up. I need to look into DVR/Tivo. We haven't had Wed. fright in months.

I hope you Tivo'd the card, because the 2nd televised fight was great. I love the light weights -- they're so quick!
Posted Image

#47 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:59 PM

WTF happened in that Filho fight? That was the stupidest shizznit I've ever seen. Chael was winning that entire fight!

:(
Posted Image

#48 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:25 PM

Leaving for work now so I got to see most of the card thanks to some quick fights. Got to see Jens take Cub to school.

Bad ref stoppage in the Fihlo fight never fun to see that. Hopefully we'll get a rematch.

#49 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:22 PM

Yes, I was so happy to see Jens win! :D

Every single fight on that card was great. Not one went to decision. The WEC puts it's big brother the UFC to shame.
Posted Image

#50 phillinley

phillinley

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:29 AM

I don't have vs. on my satelite provider and as I was searching around the internet looking for the pulver fight I came across this unreal fight. I think it's the sickest standup slugfest I've ever seen frye in

http://www.dailymoti...ick-fight_sport

YAY! We're on the second page so I don't have to scroll down forever anymore :D

Edited by phillinley, 13 December 2007 - 12:30 AM.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com