#1 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts
  • Interests:Muscle men, and Kinnikuman

Posted 03 September 2002 - 11:59 AM

Hey all,
I was thinking of some toys my friends collect, and a couple that I have. What about the spawn series? Anybody else collect spawn toys, I have a couple. Or the youngblood or other comic related toys. Most of them have some really cool detail. Or remember the predator alien series of toys, do you guys collect those. I remember driving all over Colorado with a buddy looking for some of the guys he needed from that series. I saw some little guys called yu gi oh or something like that, they looked kind of cool. Umm.... had more to ask but can't think of it now. Oh well, it will come back to me.

#2 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 12:47 PM

I really liked that old Predator/Alien series. I thought the creatures were imaginative and had great play value. If I was a kid when they were out, I would have had every one of them.

The clear plastic Ambush Predator mailaway is actually one of my favorite toys of all time (he makes a small cameo in the new Fox and Tortle episode).

I never really got into Spawn, mainly because the figures have no play value (no articulation + no action features = no play value). And frankly... the plastic just feels ugly. For that reason, when I buy one, I take it out of the package, put it on a shelf, and never touch it again. Although, I do credit McFarlane toys with revolutionizing toy sculpting, and therefore pushing other toy companies towards more detailed sculpts as well.

-Nathan

#3 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 01:07 PM

I have a few Spawn toys, mostly the ugliest ones.
Lotsa Marvel/Spidey stuff though (none of the ugly movie crap though)

#4 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts
  • Interests:Muscle men, and Kinnikuman

Posted 03 September 2002 - 02:16 PM

Ok, I remembered what I was going to say. For those who collect to collect. Why do you take them out of their boxes? Doesn't this depreciate the value of the toy? Granted the displays you guys have posted are effing awesome, but I wouldn't open them. On that note, where can I get these romandoh figures at a half reasonable price?

#5 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 02:47 PM

Well, I'm not all that concerned with the after market value of a toy. I've collected alot of things over the years, and I've noticed that the value of collectibles almost ALWAYS takes a nose-dive eventually. Eventually people just lose interest in collectibles for whatever reason and stop shelling out the big bucks. For example, comic books turned people off by becoming too collector-oriented (Spiderman #1... nuff said), nobody cared about Star Trek figures after the Next Generation went off the air, etc...

So, keeping in mind the fact that my collection will be worthless someday (monetarily speaking), I have no problem opening my toys. They're much more fun opened anyway.

where can I get these romandoh figures at a half reasonable price?

Nowhere. You'll have to shell out an arm and a leg for each of these figures, unless you can somehow pull a deal with Japanese dealers (even then, you'll pay an arm and a leg for shipping).

-Nathan

#6 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 02:59 PM

I do both. I collect to collect, and I also keep an inventory of items I got for killer prices to sell at a higher price later in life. On the stuff that I display, I will remove and put out the items I want to play with/look at the most, and keep the packaging, knowing that years down the road, I may have gotten a better price for it MISB (mint in SEALED box), but I can get almost as much MIB(mint in box). But to me, if I'm going to collect it, I might as well enjoy it, even if I do plan on making a hefty profit on it down the road. For instance, I had an orignal G1 Prime, in relatively good condition which I got for relatively nothing. I then purchased a New Years Prime (Japanese) for around $100. So then I sold the G1 Prime for $75, which I applied to the cost of the New Years Prime, which leaves me at a cost basis of $25 or so for my New Years Prime. But, I needed a display Prime, since I had sold my original G1, so I carefully unboxed the New Years Prime, messed around with it for a bit, then proudly displayed it on my shelves. Years from now, when I go to resell it, It will be Mint in Mint Packaging. Not sealed, but just as perfect. This of course is easier with a cardboard box, then it is with toys in a bubble on a card backing. I am careful to remove those when I do. I now also own 2 G1 Prime TRU Reissue, which I bought just because they were so cheap, and I wanted to have one. He won't be coming out of the box, simply because I already have a prime on display. But I bought one to keep, and one to sell in a few years. I have the ENTIRE collection of TF Robots in Disguise, up to and including a Brave Maximus (Japanese). I won't buy the American Max, because from the looks of it, everything will be identical, including the packaging. I may buy a few to save for later years though, as an investment. But over half of my RiD collection is still in the packaging. Not displayed, but on a shelf underneath my displayed RiD figures. I only removed the toys I wanted out, and the remainder will just sit in the packaging until I am old and gray and need to sell them to liquidate my assets. I collect most anything of interest to me, and for the most part, I like to handle my toys. But, for alot of them, I really don't need to remove them from the packaging. But I would if I felt like it, again, simply because years down the road, MIB isn't that far from MISB. The only toys I have DISPLAYED in the packaging are a few Kinnikuman items and some of the Marvel/Spiderman toys. This is because they just look so damn cool in the package. That's it.
This is how I collect.
On a side note. I would usually rather buy something in excellent condition, without any packaging, for display, if it is a substantially better price. But then again, who wouldn't.
Also, even though I collect with investments in mind, I don't buy anything I don't like. Hot Weels are all the rage these days, but I don't have a single one, because I don't like them (I have some old micro machines though).

-Johnny

#7 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 03:04 PM

On the romandoh note, even in Japan, be prepared to pay sotre prices, which are anywhere from 1900 yen to 5000 yen. I have seen some loose figures auctioned off on Yahoo Japan at really reasonable prices (500 yen each, average). My cost on my Romandos, direct from Japan, shipping included, averages out to about $25 each. Not bad, but still a hefty sum. If Kinnikuman takes off in the US, we may eventually get them over here for a decent price. The most I've ever paid for a figure was $40 or so, that was for Sunshine, Neptune Man and Big the Budo. (The only one not worth every penny was Sunshine).

#8 Adamantiumwulf

Adamantiumwulf

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1900 posts
  • Interests:Sega Master System and Segas other Consoles and games., Legos
    Transformers
    Baseball cards
    various action figures

Posted 04 September 2002 - 07:29 AM

Im with Johnny I collect to collect as well as sometime in the future sell some of them if it becomes necessary.

As far as takeing things out of the packages. I used to buy two. One to keep in the package and one to take out and play with and pose. At least I used to before getting married and haveing bills to pay.

If someone is worried about devaluing something by opening it. Wait a month or two and look on ebay and see how much loose figures are going for and if the price is right buy some.

I have about 75% of the U.S. Beast Wars Transformers excluding repaints. I Have them in the box or on card and then the same figures loose. Might be 3 or 4 figures that I have loose but not in the box.

I have duplicates of all the blizzard figures except warcraft 3. One set MOC(Mint on Card) one set to set up and display and if the price is right I will buy extras to sell later.

As for Romando figures I have been cheap. I wont pay more then 15 dollars for one excluding shipping. Might possibly go up to 20 for some of the bigger figures. Being cheap is probabbly why I only have 4 though. The first one I got was the ashurman repaint for 15 bucks and one of his arms had popped off. Modeling glue is a great thing.

Id wait to see if they get released here. They should be more reasonable in price.
"I've always believed that a lot of the trouble in the world would disappear if we were talking to each other instead of about each other." Ronald Regan - April 11, 1984

#9 BradH

BradH

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 September 2002 - 08:53 PM

I have all the variants (that i know of) of the spawn wetworks vampire and werewolf displayed on a shelf along with a wings of redemption spawn and a couple of pumpkinhead figures from the movie maniac series. They are all loose figures.

What i REALLY want someday is the Tortured Souls sets, made by Mcfarlane toys, based on characters created by Clive Barker.

If you havent seen em you should check them out if you like morbidly detailed figures. :)

Just dont have the cash right now but someday I WILL OWN THEM ALL!!!
:) ;)

Later,
Brad H.

#10 Krangala

Krangala

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 03:28 AM

no articulation + no action features = no play value

does anybody else see the irony in this???

your words make Krangala cry.......

Tortle, you should put Krangala in an episode of Fox and Tortle!!!

and call him KRANGALA!!!!!!

#11 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 06:00 AM

no articulation + no action features = no play value

does anybody else see the irony in this???

e+
HA HA!!! Holy crap... damn, man... I know I'm a hypocrite, but it's rare when I blatantly display it like this!

Okay, let me explain my blasphemous statement: Spawn figures suck because they don't have any articulation or action features, which I really feel like they should have in order to be a good toy. MUSCLEs don't have articulation or action features, but I don't think that they need them ... they're alot of fun anyway.

-Nathan

#12 Krangala

Krangala

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 09:25 AM

Believe me, we forgive you, Tortle!!!

I just thought it was a bit funny! :rolleyes:

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com