#1 Shinobisshinpads

Shinobisshinpads

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 09:45 AM

Hi guys,

I haven't been doing an awful lot of Beast related things until recently when I decided to purchase a bunch of Japanese single packs and I realised I can't find much information on this specific release and thought I would come here seeing as how helpful it's proved in the past. The packs are similar in design to the second series but have some sunburst related bits and some of the placement is different. Does anyone know much about these packs specifically? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files

#2 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 17 July 2020 - 12:09 PM

Those packs are supporting the Sunburst Emblem. I have only seen one Beast with that emblem and it was a Penguin I believe. The Sunburst Emblem tops any of the three symbols and is a part of the the role playing game. 

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#3 Shinobisshinpads

Shinobisshinpads

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 01:32 PM

Hey there, yeah I know of the emblem, but I haven't seen this style of pack before. Does this mean the figure inside has the sunburst emblem? I thought it was random?

#4 Shinobisshinpads

Shinobisshinpads

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 12:37 PM

Sorry guys to send another message, this forum is a bit more quiet than it used to be! Is there anywhere else I can get some information about this specific release? I just don't know much about it and would like to know more

#5 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 19 July 2020 - 02:43 AM

I´ve replied to your DM but to add something here as well this is the so called JP Jungle box which is around in at least two variations. The version shown here which is the Short Style Jungle box because of the part that sticks out on the back is similar in size to the earlier TF style JP single boxes but it´s Short in comparison with the Large Style Jungle boxes of which the part on that back that sticks out is almost twice the size of the Short Style.

Attached File  DSC_0002~8.JPG   114.93K   5 downloads

Strange things with these is that the Larger ones which show the ¨Role-Paying Animal Team¨ are boxes that are more in line with the Laser Beasts JP Single boxes which also have this larger box header at the back and says ¨Role Playing Neo Animal Team¨ on them. For both goes that the have applied stickers that shows the name and number that the front of the box. You would expect this version to be a later/updated design being more close to the Laser Beast style boxes but looking at the dates on them something surprising can be found because the short style Jungle boxes hold 1987 + 1988 on them while the large style Jungle boxes only hold 1987 on them...

Based on this you would assume that the large style Jungle boxes are the earlier versions and the Sunburst style boxes came later but that´s not really in line with the idea of the box style design slowly evolving from the BB single boxes into the LB ones. So there is a conflict that´s at this point still unclear.

And if that´s not enough there are even more oddities in regards to these boxes one of them is that in most of the short style JP Jungle boxes the Series 1 Beasts can be found whereas the Series 2 and 3 Beasts are mainly found in the large jungle style versions with the names on them. But also here is some kind of a transition step seen because there are also Series 2 and 3 Beasts found in the short style jungle boxes in which case they often have a Round sticker on the top of the box which shows the number of the figure inside. So this is another clue that, unlike the years mentioned on the boxes, they probably did go from the short style to the large style knowing this figure number sticker was added at a certain point. From that point of view and looking at the LB style boxes the large style version does feel more complete with the name and number sticker on it on the front.

Purely looking at the content of the figures inside with the Series 1 found in the short style jungle boxes and the Series 2 and 3 mainly found in the larger style jungle boxes it makes sense to believe the short style version with the Sunburst promotion on it was an earlier version. Obviously the Japanese TF Style boxes were the first one.

This might have been one of those conflicts that occurred within this line having the Sunburst Promotion ¨Suddenly¨ out there because also from the Hasbro MOC two packs we know that there are packaging types with and without the Sunburst promotion on it.

It´s clear we still don´t know enough about this yet but maybe in time...

Enjoy the Beasts!

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#6 Shinobisshinpads

Shinobisshinpads

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 05:00 AM

Thanks so much buddy, sent you a DM as well!

#7 mtutick

mtutick

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 02:54 PM

@Beastformers, do you have a history somewhere of the box and card styles?  I tried searching your blog but couldn't find it.  Looking at the "Cards" section of the littlerubberguides you can see that some of the S3 figures were definitely available in the "Transformer" style boxes because they have cards that show Autobot/Decepticon affiliation.

I guess what I'm trying to find out are things like:

Are all beasts available in all style boxes? 

Can you get the more realistic (CGI looking) cards for all beasts? This style: lion4.jpg?  

#8 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 20 July 2020 - 03:21 PM

The Littlerubberguides checklist you refer to is a very useful source also for the cards but it´s incomplete and it´s solely focusing on the cards and not really the connection they had to the boxes in which they came.

Although we do have gathered quite some puzzle pieces over time and we do know a bit more concerning the JP single boxes as my previous reply showed we also (still) bump into some variables which make that we don´t have enough solid evidence and facts around to really start a research on them just yet. As you can imagine it´s quite important in that case to have a solid idea of the actual release dates or at least the follow up of them and with the conflicting years of 1987 and 1988 on packages (as mentioned in the post before) these are crucial details to figure out first.

When it comes to the JP single boxes another issue is that in many cases the content might not be 100% solid simply because over time packages might have been opened and figs or parts were switched while on old boxes that haven´t been opened in some cases the tape has dried out and simply come of which is also in a way a seal breaker meaning we can´t go blind on that. With subjects like these it is very tempting to go after the full story based on just one or a few references but in the end it´ll only work once we have solid facts to work with as pieces for the puzzle. The more puzzle pieces we´ll find the sooner the day will come we might be able to say a bit more about the actual JP release to give an insight in which Beasts were found in which boxes and which box styles were around at what time etc. Ideally with that we can also make the connection to the various card styles/types around because those are obviously closely related to the boxes in which they came but that requires even more puzzle pieces.

So all in all atm we won´t be able to help with any additional information or scans of the Cards that are currently shown in the Littlerubberguides but let´s hope that will change. Until then...

Enjoy the Beasts!

Edited by Beastformers, 20 July 2020 - 03:22 PM.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#9 catbeast5000

catbeast5000

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:59 AM

the Japanese single boxes were released in 9 series of style boxes. they start at box A-I the first release boxes had 18 figures released all from the 1st series.they came in the classic Transformers autobots/decepticons style box artwork.the insides remained the same throughout including the figure with weapon,file card in Japanese and a pamphlet.in some cases the figure included did not come with the correct weapon from the factory.

i believe box styles A- E came in the transformers style (red/purple/green) then then they changed the box artwork to the tropical style which would be released in the short and tall box styles continuing with letters F-I. the letters can be found on the earlier boxes in the upper right hand corner.some of the boxes also had the coinciding beasts number so u could match up everything.the last few releases did not have the letters on them.

all series 1-3 beasts were released in Japanese single boxes.when the figures first came out they were in the transformers style boxes.these were usually 1st releases each new lettered box series would reintroduce some old figures as well as some new ones from series 2 & 3.eventually all would be released with most of series 3 being produced in the jungle style boxes.

for example the pirate lion that is shown in the picture above is from the 7th release jungle box G and is a re-re release of that figure.i believe the pirate lion was released in every box type.some figures were continually re-released each time when a different style box came out.if u want a 1st release pirate lion he would come in a RED style transformers box with the letter A on it.the transformers boxes seem to be a bit harder to come by.they are the oldest releases for those boxes so probably why.

laser beasts are also released in the Japanese single style box up until like the last 5 which u could only find the beasts in the laser beasts vs battle beasts gift set as well as the japan released chariots with exclusive figures.the laser beasts single boxes are all blue but the contents are the same as the orginal beasts (figure/weapon/file card/pamphlet)

there are potentially 108 figures in single boxes i think and they vary in price once u get into the single box laser beasts.with some ranging as high as $600+

im a very big collector of these and am always getting closer to a complete single boxed set.i dont have them in front of me so hopefully this info helps for now ;)

#10 mtutick

mtutick

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 01:24 PM

the Japanese single boxes were released in 9 series of style boxes. they start at box A-I the first release boxes had 18 figures released all from the 1st series.they came in the classic Transformers autobots/decepticons style box artwork.the insides remained the same throughout including the figure with weapon,file card in Japanese and a pamphlet.in some cases the figure included did not come with the correct weapon from the factory.

i believe box styles A- E came in the transformers style (red/purple/green) then then they changed the box artwork to the tropical style which would be released in the short and tall box styles continuing with letters F-I. the letters can be found on the earlier boxes in the upper right hand corner.some of the boxes also had the coinciding beasts number so u could match up everything.the last few releases did not have the letters on them.

all series 1-3 beasts were released in Japanese single boxes.when the figures first came out they were in the transformers style boxes.these were usually 1st releases each new lettered box series would reintroduce some old figures as well as some new ones from series 2 & 3.eventually all would be released with most of series 3 being produced in the jungle style boxes.

for example the pirate lion that is shown in the picture above is from the 7th release jungle box G and is a re-re release of that figure.i believe the pirate lion was released in every box type.some figures were continually re-released each time when a different style box came out.if u want a 1st release pirate lion he would come in a RED style transformers box with the letter A on it.the transformers boxes seem to be a bit harder to come by.they are the oldest releases for those boxes so probably why.

laser beasts are also released in the Japanese single style box up until like the last 5 which u could only find the beasts in the laser beasts vs battle beasts gift set as well as the japan released chariots with exclusive figures.the laser beasts single boxes are all blue but the contents are the same as the orginal beasts (figure/weapon/file card/pamphlet)

there are potentially 108 figures in single boxes i think and they vary in price once u get into the single box laser beasts.with some ranging as high as $600+

im a very big collector of these and am always getting closer to a complete single boxed set.i dont have them in front of me so hopefully this info helps for now ;)

http://www.littlerub...ease +checklist

I found this thread  from the "old days" of this forum that tracks the releases per Box style, and whether it came with correct, weapons, etc.    It matches a lot of what you say.  I noticed a couple of figures unlisted for the single boxes:   Mouse & Camel (which according to Beastformers blog were never released in Japan), Tarsier and Antelope.

#11 catbeast5000

catbeast5000

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:42 PM

perfect thats the chart ive been using from the beginning.i have its copied to my phone so i just check that when looking for new guys.

i couldnt find it to share earlier so glad u did.

i only collect first releases boxes so this chart helps to sort that out when im out there purchasing.

and yes i believe the camel and mouse where USA & Canada release so thats probably why

good luck they are definitely much more expensive then when i started but so is every vintage toy now

any other questions feel free to PM me

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com