• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#26 Jet-Mech

Jet-Mech

The Man on the Silver Mountain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Monster In My Pocket, Gormiti, Trash Pack, other LRGs that may strike my fancy, and other stuff no-one else likely gives a damn about

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:04 PM

I was at Dollar Tree earlier today, and forgot to look for those Top Toupie things...though I did pick up a pack of grow-capsule dinosaurs. On Monday, I'll be visiting a different Dollar Tree, and hopefully I'll remember--and have the time--to take a better look.

Current collecting goal: obtain all 148 Monster In My Pocket Series 1 figures in regular colors (71.62% there)

So many toys, so little money!

#27 seekingxar

seekingxar

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

These look really cool, are they squishy rubber?

#28 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

Harder like muscle rubber

#29 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

I went back today and picked up the Mummy and Pirate; they didn't have any others. They're actually selling pretty quickly about half as many today as there were a week ago. Wonder if they'll re-stock and possibly get different sculpts?

#30 Jet-Mech

Jet-Mech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Monster In My Pocket, Gormiti, Trash Pack, other LRGs that may strike my fancy, and other stuff no-one else likely gives a damn about

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:42 AM

I was at Dollar Tree earlier today, and forgot to look for those Top Toupie things...though I did pick up a pack of grow-capsule dinosaurs. On Monday, I'll be visiting a different Dollar Tree, and hopefully I'll remember--and have the time--to take a better look.

I did, and they didn't have any.

Current collecting goal: obtain all 148 Monster In My Pocket Series 1 figures in regular colors (71.62% there)

#31 seekingxar

seekingxar

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

Does anyone have a picture of the blue ones?

#32 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:11 AM

Does anyone have a picture of the blue ones?

Stole this hotlinked image from Frank's post on Little Weirdos, hope you don't mind. :)

If anyone can find them at their local store, I'd like to get #'s 2, 5,6,11,13, and 14.

1970669_10202684328422907_188403436_n.jp

Also, I noticed that they had another top toy in DT that is also called 'Toupie Top' that just lights up and includes no minifigures (confirming as Frank said that Toupie is just French for top, not intended as the name of the toy) So it's safe to just call these Dollar Tree Minis, I guess? Cheap toys are so mysterious!

Oh, and if anyone was curious about the scale of these guys, I snapped this comparison photo last night:

toupie-mimp.jpg

Edited by bachamn, 17 April 2014 - 06:20 AM.

#33 seekingxar

seekingxar

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

I can get you 5 and 13 from those, just let me know

I picked up 3,5,8,13 and I really like these guys. Cool sculpts and good material. I even like the tops they come with, it's a lot of toy for a buck. I see on the back they show an Arena, now here is hoping for that to show up at the Dollar Tree :-)

#34 seekingxar

seekingxar

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

If anyone can find them at their local store, I'd like to get #'s 2, 5,6,11,13, and 14.

I can now get any of them you need. The only one I have yet to find is the Mummy.

#35 phantomeye

phantomeye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:51 AM

My fave is the Lion followed by the Mummy.  I was talking to my boys about it and we agree that the lion looks like a superdeformed LionO Thundercats minifig.....which is super sweet!!! 

#36 Jet-Mech

Jet-Mech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:17 PM

I finally found these guys not too long ago...picked up 5 and 13, and they had at least another five sculpts. There are at least a half-dozen Dollar Trees that I can pass while working and/or aren't terribly out of my way. If anyone needs any of these little boogers, let me know.

I do, however, think they would do well to offer just the figures in a four-pack, M.U.S.C.L.E.-style!

#37 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

I might be alone in this, but if anyone is into slimes or GitD toys in general, Dollar Tree just got in some new colors of Barrel O' Slime in clear barrels that I had posted about earlier in the thread. Now they have an almost clear slime that glows extremely bright aqua and a neon pink that doesn't glow as bright but looks great under blacklight. I use the barrels as a backdrop for my TMNT display and these are an awesome addition.

I wasn't very impressed by the glowing of the green and red slimes they released previously (you can see the glow dust settled at the bottom of the slime, so not much actually glows) but whatever they did with the aqua slime was a great move. 

They also started sealing the barrels for this wave with a plastic tab instead of just shrinkwrap which means it should take a while before they dry out, and they'll be fewer being opened in the stores.

#38 phantomeye

phantomeye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:06 PM

Dude, you have been having a helluva good streak at Tree of Dollar!

I've had limited success in acquiring the Toupies that I want from the list of 18.  I'm really into them now.  The detail with some of them is amazing.  And the characters are cool if not peculiar.  I've never been so giddy to shop at DollarTree before this all started.  Thanks for starting this thread and making me aware of them.

#39 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

Glad you've found it helpful! 

Not sure which Toupie figs you're looking for, but I can still get a few at my local DT (they sold quick at first but the remainder are hanging around). We only ever got the orange and green ones, but I believe there is still Lion, Mummy, Werewolf, Pirate, and Knight, on the shelves here. Lmk if you want any of those and I can help you out.

Also, here's a pic of the barrels set up behind my TMNT display. I'm going to be doing a more in depth photoshoot with these soon but wanted to share how awesome the new glow effect is :D

Attached File  2014-06-04_01-07-49.jpg   96.53K   31 downloads

#40 phantomeye

phantomeye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:38 PM

Those barrels do work well with TMNT!  I remember the old scrolling beatem up arcade game with tons of stacked barrels all over the place.  Reminds me of that....

PMing you Bach

#41 phantomeye

phantomeye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

Damn!  I went to one of my local DTs yesterday and their Toupies were totally gone.  I was there last week and at that time they had around 18.  Hard to believe they sold those out so fast.  Maybe they just did a stock switch out.  It taught me that things can be fleeting at DT so act fast on the things you like there.  Now I have to go to the other and see if they still have any of theirs.

#42 phantomeye

phantomeye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

It is not looking good for Top Toupie fans.  As I mentioned before, one of my DTs was cleared out of Toupies.  So last night I went to the other location.  They still had about 20 there.  I grabbed a couple and headed to the checkout station.  The cashier scanned the first package and the transaction was denied.  She called over a manager who quickly grabbed the Toupie and said that they are on recall and they are unable to sell any more of them.  She then started muttering presumably about another employee, "She was supposed to have removed those".  I questioned about the reason for the recall?  The manager replied she wasn't sure but speculated that the small parts (minifigure) may present a choking hazard.  I find that laughable because printed on the packaging is "3+" and a choking hazard warning statement!  I immediately thought of all the other crap a kid could choke on in the toy aisle alone there including the pill-shaped capsule that expands 400 times its size when saturated and I shook my head in bewilderment.

This really pisses me off.  Finally something cool arrives at DT and nearly as suddenly the rug is pulled out from under it for no good reason.  Like I said, if a kid is choking on a 5/8" minifig, imagine what else they must be gagging on.  For the love of God, there are 2 notifications on package as I alluded to before.  Well that is the end of my rant.

I would recommend going out now and scooping up what you can.  You may get lucky and transact at a location behind the curve in regards to system updates.  But DT is seemingly adept at maintaining uniformity and consistency so I doubt any will be accessible.

Edited by phantomeye, 05 June 2014 - 08:59 AM.

#43 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, Neclos Fortress, GPK, '80s fantasy toys, all kinds of monster-themed little rubber guys.

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

Odd. That might explain why some people were finding them without the mini figures in the packages.

14460229430_bb17eb3c18_n.jpg

#44 phantomeye

phantomeye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

Odd. That might explain why some people were finding them without the mini figures in the packages.

I hope you are right and that they are rounding them up, sorting out the fully packed items, and then redistributing them. I really, really hope you are right on that.

#45 ScreaminDemon

ScreaminDemon

Cyber Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts , Laser Beasts , Beastformers , Shadow Warriors , War Monsters and any other variations of Battle Beasts including Beast Saga. Transformer decoys.

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

Anyone notice the Frankenstein's monster on the back of the card along with the luchador wrestler?
If they are pulling them already I guess we'll never see if this figure would be for sale in DT.
Easy come, easy go, sad...
Demon

#46 phantomeye

phantomeye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:46 PM

Naw, I didn't notice the Frankie monster.  I will have to look again at one of the packages I have lying around.  If I remember correctly, aren't the back side pictures in black and white and the figures appear to have paint apps?  I know someone noted the battle arena they are spinning in and dreaming that maybe that too would appear in DT.  The 2 figures I was not able to get ahold of but wanted badly were the boxing kangaroo (2), Metal rocker (8), and spartan warrior (13).  I did manage to find one solitary orange knight but I would like to get more of him.

Toupies work great for Mighty Max Doom Zones!

Edited by phantomeye, 05 June 2014 - 01:48 PM.

#47 ScreaminDemon

ScreaminDemon

Cyber Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts , Laser Beasts , Beastformers , Shadow Warriors , War Monsters and any other variations of Battle Beasts including Beast Saga. Transformer decoys.

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:31 PM

I never saw the #8 punk rocker at DT either.
Just noticed the figures around the edge of the arena, mummy, Lion warrior and orange #6 knight on one edge and possibly other new figures on the left edge but the pic is too small to be sure. Maybe the arena was going to contain a few premiums :)
ah what could have been for such little moneyAttached File  IMG_20140605_151100_198.jpg   162.07K   17 downloads
Demon

#48 phantomeye

phantomeye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

You're right, that dude does look like Frankenstein's monster.  I thought he was just some soldier character (Nick Fury type).  The other battler looks like Juggernaut.

#49 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:03 PM

Well, sadly I can confirm that these are officially gone. I went to DT today and found that all had been removed from the shelves, though I managed to find three stragglers they had missed in a secondary aisle. However when the cashier scanned one the register started beeping, she said "I'm sorry I can't sell these to you", and placed them under her counter. So it looks like even if you can locate a store that hasn't pulled them from shelves yet, the buggers aren't leaving with you unless you smuggle them out (not recommending this, btw ;)

Luckily I just completed a full set of these through trades less than a week ago, though I'm a bit annoyed now that I didn't keep at least one carded for posterity. Sorry for anyone who didn't get the ones they wanted, hopefully there are still some hanging around for trades!

Goodbye Toupie Tops; your demise was swift and brutal.

#50 ScreaminDemon

ScreaminDemon

Cyber Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:16 PM

Too bad they didnt have some painted ones as premiums but the mono figs have that vintage look that is unexplainably more appealing. I think the Juggernaut looking one is a #18 luchador. At first I thought he kinda looked like a blemmyae which was just wishful thinking.
Demon

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com