60 replies to this topic

#1 Imp

Imp

Cranky Gorillaz Gal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2367 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 05:13 AM

I loved this episode! From the farting to the pinball and for an added attraction, Pat the Photobooth chojin! (I think the writers may have watched a little too much Saturday Night Live?)

:huh:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Congratulations! Taxes, titles, licenses, and fees, not included.

My Live Journal. Because obviously you need to know how my day went. How's yours?

#2 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 06:37 AM

Notice how Sieuchin (Wally Tusket) called Jaeger by his Japanese name "Jade" during their sparring match.

#3 Boco_T

Boco_T

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 08:57 AM

Today was the first episode of the new America-only season of Ultimate Muscle. Was it just me or did Mack Metaphor's voice actor sound different, particularly in the theme song?

If you guys don't know yet, Toriyama's World started to work on this saga of the manga (the later part of the Chojin Crown) before it was announced that America would have a special new season of the anime. Therefore I've already read the 5 chapters they've released that are equivalent to what's currently airing in the anime.

http://www.toriyamaworld.com/kinn2/

Knowing this, I can say that I didn't really have any problem with the changes they made to the arc. They had to add that stuff at the beginning of the episode about the Kid being late because the original manga didn't have that Poison Six-Pack until much later.

The changes I noticed, most prominently, were the use of a Pinball Machine rather than a Pachinko Machine, since I guess they assumed that most little kids wouldn't know what Pachinko was. Ricardo's name was pronounced as it's spelled, rather than its proper "Hicardo" Brazilian pronounciation, and Purikura's (Short for Print Club) name was changed to Photo Pat, but that makes sense.

Overall, I was satisfied with this episode and I'm seeing good things for this upcoming season of Ultimate Muscle.

Now the only thing I'm worried about is whether or not the DVDs will be uncut :huh:
Posted Image

#4 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 09:02 AM

Very good episode. I've posted the synopsis at the main page, if you missed it earlier.

#5 Sniper33

Sniper33

Local Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2912 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 10:22 AM

The changes I noticed, most prominently, were the use of a Pinball Machine rather than a Pachinko Machine, since I guess they assumed that most little kids wouldn't know what Pachinko was.

I thought that it was the "Pachinko Machine", cause all those balls were put into the machine at once. And as far as I remember, they nevered showed any flippers.

Posted Image

#6 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 10:31 AM

And as far as I remember, they nevered showed any flippers.

Yeah, they showed flippers. I wonder if that is in the Japanese original?

#7 Package

Package

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 11:55 AM

I thought it was great. It seemed more fast paced than the first season. I hope fights don't go on and on for 2-3 episodes. M. Cheeks made a comeback!

#8 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts
  • Interests:Muscle men, and Kinnikuman

Posted 18 October 2003 - 12:07 PM

I thought today was a re-run. Today is the beginning of the American season? Boy am I behind in the cartoons. I did notice Wally call Jaeger Jade though, are they going to change it to Jade now that it is American version?

#9 Boco_T

Boco_T

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 12:35 PM

Previews of original images from Chapter 141 of Kinnikuman Nisei, found at:

http://www.toriyamaworld.com/kinn2/

Attached Files

#10 Boco_T

Boco_T

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 12:36 PM

Another preview:

Attached Files

Posted Image

#11 smackman

smackman

Dark Lord Magus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1380 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 02:42 PM

Today's episode rocked! The whole pinball machine thing was really cool. That new character with the three horns on his head, what's his name, hornzo or something looks really cool. The best part was the flashback with Ickymon and his sister where the crowd of people were saying how beautiful she was, and they said he looked just Icky. :lol: Kid in his elephant boxers was pretty hilarious too. :huh:
Posted Image

#12 Boco_T

Boco_T

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 04:01 PM

That new character with the three horns on his head, what's his name, hornzo or something looks really cool.

Destruction. Yeah, in the manga he's pretty cool.
Posted Image

#13 itsamike

itsamike

The Man Behind The Meat!

• Legends
  • 395 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 04:45 PM

I don't have the script in front of me, and I'm not gonna go back and ask to look at it, but I thought that Wally called Jaeger "J.," not Jade. Especially with the "J" on his helmet. But that's just me talkin'.

Also, Eric Stuart (Mac Metaphor) re-dubbed his line in the opening theme, I suspect because Mac has undergone some vocal drift between the first eps and now. Meat did, too, btw, but it's less apparent in the opening as it is during the first eps. Mac's voice during the show sounded normal, though.
--Mike
|= <

The opinions expressed are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of 4Kids Entertainment or its affiliates.

Want an autographed picture? Click here!

#14 Uo-ZUMAN

Uo-ZUMAN

Leo Saint Aioria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 04:52 PM

anyone notice in the openning recap of the last few episodes with doc and mac how their mouths moved perfectly in synch with their dialogue.

anyway what episode number was this mornings episode?
Posted Image

#15 YoshiAngemon

YoshiAngemon

Butt-faced Recap man.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 05:10 PM

I kinda liked Msr. Cheeks' new role as the Recap Provider! *farts* Pardon me! But why did the Fox Box put the slam on Cheeks, just for having an arse for a face!
"Bonjour! Monsieur Cheeks here, with the Chojin Crown News du Jour! ... So, without further ado, LET'S GET TO THE BOTTOM OF IT!" -- Monsieur Cheeks.

#16 Boco_T

Boco_T

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 05:44 PM

anyone notice in the openning recap of the last few episodes with doc and mac how their mouths moved perfectly in synch with their dialogue.

anyway what episode number was this mornings episode?

I did notice this, and I'm almost sure it's because the show has no accompanying Japanese audio track, since it's being made specifically for an American TV audience. It didn't seem as explicit a sync in the rest of the episode, though, so I'm not totally sure yet.

Today's episode was episode number 52, although for all standard purposes I'll just be referring to it as "Season 2 Episode 1". I think on the epguides.com list, the second season is listed as starting like a month ago when they began airing the new(ish) episodes that covered the last 6 or so episodes of the Japanese series.
Posted Image

#17 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 06:22 PM

I did notice this, and I'm almost sure it's because the show has no accompanying Japanese audio track, since it's being made specifically for an American TV audience. It didn't seem as explicit a sync in the rest of the episode, though, so I'm not totally sure yet.

Actually, the Japanese episodes do have a voice track associated with them before they are shipped, same as with the first two JP seasons (eps 1-51).

They are made especially fir the US market, but Toei is going to release them on DVD in Japan when their slot comes around.

That is more than likely why the animation showed an actual pinball game rather than the pachinko unit.

#18 Boco_T

Boco_T

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 06:52 PM

Actually, the Japanese episodes do have a voice track associated with them before they are shipped, same as with the first two JP seasons (eps 1-51).

They are made especially fir the US market, but Toei is going to release them on DVD in Japan when their slot comes around.

That's very cool to know. I was feeling sad that the Japanese were never going to get to see all these radical new Kinnikuman Nisei anime episodes. Now, on the flip side, when do we Americans get the Kinnikuman Nisei movie? (Not that it particularly matters to me, I've seen it raw so I'm satisfied to that degree)
Posted Image

#19 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 06:54 PM

Now, on the flip side, when do we Americans get the Kinnikuman Nisei movie?

Not sure. I have the HK bootleg.

My question is this. Did the Movie (with Sai-borg) come out during or after the series?

#20 Checkmate17

Checkmate17

Captain Wesker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My Interests:<br>My Girlfriend &lt;3<br>Anime(Ultimate Muscle, DBZ, Shaman King, etc.)<br>Video Games<br>Resident Evil<br>Talking with my Friends<br>Riding my Bike<br>Writing Stories

Posted 18 October 2003 - 07:10 PM

I thought that today's episode was pretty good. That D-Struction guy looks pretty cool. That Photo-Pat character is just stupid though. Also, did anyone see the preview for the next episode because I think I missed it or else they just didn't show one.

#21 Boco_T

Boco_T

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 07:34 PM

Not sure. I have the HK bootleg.

I have an R2 rip, would it be possible for you to rip the English subtitles from your HK and somehow get them to me? I don't care how bad they are, since I've already seen it raw any more clarity on the dialogue and story would be better than none at all.

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure the movie came out after the TV series, because the last TV series episode aired last year in Japan on Christmas Day 2002, which left plenty of time for the movie to come out after it sometime this year. I'm going to check in a second and get back to you. Either way, it was weird that the movie seemed to be an alternate telling of the last few episodes of the TV series, in a strange way.

EDIT2: http://www.cdjapan.c...l?KEY=DSTD-2162

This page says that the Japanese DVD of the Kinnikuman Nisei movie was released on April 23, 2003 in Japan, but that doesn't say when it was released in theaters there. If their release schedule is anything like it is in the US, then I'd say the movie came out in theaters before the TV series reached the same part of the story. Then again, maybe it never was in theaters in Japan. I'm guessing the Japanese that cared about Kinnikuman Nisei it didn't matter either way since they'd already read the manga that occured that part.

Edited by Boco_T, 18 October 2003 - 07:41 PM.

Posted Image

#22 ToyMan

ToyMan

geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 07:59 PM

Was it just me or did Mack Metaphor's voice actor sound different, particularly in the theme song?

to me, it sounded like lots of the opening theme song was re-recorded.

#23 Boco_T

Boco_T

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 08:32 PM

to me, it sounded like lots of the opening theme song was re-recorded.

See Mike's post a few below mine near the top of the thread.
Posted Image

#24 Sniper33

Sniper33

Local Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2912 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 09:47 PM

I don't have the script in front of me, and I'm not gonna go back and ask to look at it, but I thought that Wally called Jaeger "J.," not Jade. Especially with the "J" on his helmet. But that's just me talkin'.

Mike is right, I just rewatched the episode and Wally did call Jeager "J".

And jkaris, your also right, when I rewatched it, I noticed that there were flippers in the pinball machine.

Posted Image

#25 ApplianceMan

ApplianceMan

Always on Liquify

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 12:59 AM

I pretty much accept whatever TV tells me, so it didn't occur to me that it was a pachinko machine, even though I just learned about them recently. Still, I didn't get the "buy/by/bye/bi" thing. They really didn't seem to care if any of this went over kids' heads, unlike previous seasons where usually Doc would explain things slowly and carefully. All in all, it was a dumb episode with almost no wrestling. The only cool thing was the setup for next week's episode. This was just filler. Yeah, it was still funny, but I had a feeling when it started that they were going to waste time for 20 minutes. Speaking of which, are they going to waste a whole episode showing non-Muscle League wrestling matches? That would be like NYPD Blue showing some other precinct's cases.

Oh, and KID SURE FORGOT ABOUT ROXANNE QUICKLY.

It's a little weird how we criticize the translation instead of the writing, just because 4 Kids doesn't write the stories. And why the heck do they keep putting up synopses of episodes that aren't even airing in Japan? It's no fun that anyone should know what's going to happen.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com