BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

POPULAR

Last Saturday, I received a set of figures in the mail that were probably the most valuable I have ever had in proportion to their size. Not just in monetary value, but in the years of close calls and missed opportunities and moments of wishing I'd had so much more money to throw around than I ever could.

No, this set of figures didn't represent a particularly important character with an amazing history and tons of memorable moments over the years. No, the character wasn't even my number one favorite design in his respective series. In my top five, absolutely, but not even number one. However, what this character came to mean to me over the years, especially in the manner in which I was receiving him, maybe that was ready to change.

When I joined AKIA so many years ago, I lurked for a while, the smart thing to do when you're joining a community. One of the things I recall as part of the old forum rules was never to beg for free figures. It was frowned upon because it's rude for someone to enter a community expected to be handed things for nothing, but one of the amazing things about this place was that it happened regardless. If you expressed yourself as a newbie interested in the toys, demonstrated a willingness to pay, some people would simply not accept money. AKIA members actually sent you free MUSCLE figures. Sometimes they were clearly crap they knew would never sell. Other times they were genuinely nice and mint figures, showing a level of generosity I'd not seen before on such a scale. The first few times my brother and I received figures in addition to buying others, there were definitely more of the latter.

While my brother amassed his collection, I was content to go after only a few. I didn't need every flesh figure, although I would and still do covet a Satan Cross. I certainly held no ambitions of a master color set. That was for men who'd been at it for far longer and had far deeper pockets. I saved myself from such hassles by focusing my attention to the sculpts I enjoyed the most. Some of those were figures from my brother's small handful from childhood, when we didn't even know what MUSCLE was and he was too young to recall the clear plastic trash can I inexplicably associated with them.

The Claw stood out from the beginning, but you know what? Everybody loved the Claw. Back then, purple Claws were a big deal and less numerous, but I could've tried for the other colors, I guess... but I wasn't fond of the competition (I'd end up with several anyway, only to sell them all a couple years ago, without asking $20+ each like people had started to do). Number one, "Muscleman", or the "Muscle Brothers" as mimoman and I would call them because he owned two... he seemed a natural fit, but I passed. Of course, there was always my favorite, the Lizardman, #131, Ukon. I had no idea what his real name meant but that went on the list for sure. Ruling out other childhood sculpts, I naturally gravitated to other reptilian figures, and that's how #193 Cobra Satan ultimately became my favorite MUSCLE figure.

You know what's interesting about Cobra Satan? He's sooooo easy. Looking at a out-of-focus lot of figures? Lack of legs makes him stand out like a sore thumb. Color variety? There's only five! Rarity? Three of them are "uncommon", whatever the hell that means. I think I actually looked longer for a minty orange or salmon replacement than I did to get the set of five. Nothing in his Part 18 tree was rare either, which was perfect for when I went after "Tortle" or the spiky #207.

Ukon, #131, was an oddity. He was definitely my number two, and he had that one super-rare color I wasn't sure I could find, but there was a good portion of time where it seemed like people didn't believe a red 131 existed. Even now, he's almost mythical in status, one of the few figures guys like General Veers is missing. You know, a figure THAT rare, I'm probably okay with saying that I'm not going to own it.

I didn't sit down to write a veritable essay about Ukon. No, this is for my number three fave, an underdog among underdogs. A figure with the misfortune to be in Kinnikuman Part 8, one of the most infamous figure sets and trees for rare sculpts, should not have been a figure I tracked down, but he was unique in he wasn't flashy, didn't stand out all that much in a crowd, seemed to have zero fanbase, yet evoked something prehistoric which instantly endeared him to me, much more than Mammothman could - figure 154, Ammonite. I had to have him.

Most of the figures I needed of him came quickly enough. Orange was a bit of a challenge, I think, but it didn't take too much longer to get most of them. Then it boiled down to purple. It seemed like I might be in trouble then... very few people claimed to own one, so few that some people thought they were misidentified grape figures. That was shot down right away as I kept hunting, but there was definitely nobody selling one. Master set hunters became more prominent, Soupie color image archive went up, and I found myself in competition among high-rollers for a figure none of them would spare a second's thought over were it any other color. I should have given up, but I wouldn't. Bargains that barely escaped my grasp drove me onward, as every few months to a year, one would appear and give me hope that even if someone spent $50 on it, or $80, or $100, at least it meant THEIR hunt was done and I'd have my chance next time. Right?

Prices never went down. A purple 154 might go for a bargain if an unaware seller threw up a Buy-It-Now for $5 and someone with email alerts or bookmarked searches or a smartphone caught it within five minutes, or there was a local yard sale, or a lot exchanged hands in private. It never helps that someone with a purple 154 often also has one or more rare figures as well, causing more wars over mediocre figures that happened to be the "right" color. Maybe such close proximity to the infamous Claw got to people. I'll never know.

Plenty of nice people stood up over the years, vowing to help end my silly plight. I always appreciated the gesture, but never felt those efforts would amount to anything. I was never on at the right time, or that person would never be able to afford a silly price, or I couldn't afford it at that moment. I didn't wake up late on a Sunday afternoon two weeks ago thinking "this was going to be the day!" I couldn't recall the last time I thought about the hunt in a positive manner, and was not far off from thinking that maybe today would instead be the day I listed all my MUSCLE figures for sale. Instead I found an email. A PM notification from LRG, which had a message by clonewars that was impossible to believe and beyond my dreams. I was skeptical, and confused, so I headed to LRG and found his sale thread and became a little more skeptical. After all, who's insane enough to spend that much money on stupid MUSCLE figures only to give them away to a total stranger??? Let's face it, I may have been here for years and have a ton of posts under my belt, but do I know any of you personally? I've never hung out with any of you people, I detest the Mixed Nuts shoutbox and chat threads, I don't share most of your interests, and visiting LRG is usually out of instinct and routine than a legitimate desire to post here.

When some anonymous stranger goes out of their way to spend $150 (plus shipping? really?) on you, money you have no way of repaying in the immediate future, when you should be seen as barely a part of their community, it's hard not to feel incredulous or suspicious, but I had nothing to lose. Last Saturday, somebody made this possible and, part of the community or not, I will be eternally grateful to you all.

TL;DR: this happened.
Posted Image

Attached Files

#2 ALLSPORTDVD

ALLSPORTDVD

Ameragu Chojin No Bosu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
  • Interests:Anything Kinnikuman!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

I for one am really glad you finally got this figure - well done to you!

I kinda know how you feel - I've been looking for every color of #134 (Rugby Boss) since I started here 2 years ago & not found him yet.....
Check out my collection pics - https://www.flickr.c...107790593@N02/?

#3 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

Awesome story!!!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 walker13.1

walker13.1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4950 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:25 AM

Very nice story.

#5 Matlock

Matlock

My name is matlock and i am a lrg addict.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E.
    Nintendo - NES,SNES,N64,GB,GBA,DS,3DS
    Lego- Mini Figs
    Micro Machines.
    BB.
    GPK.Cheapies, and OS Cards.
    Minikins.
    Bouncy balls.
    Dice.
    Dino's.
    Trash pack.
    Homies.
    Slugs.
    MIMP.
    Savage Mondo Blitzers.
    Uglies.
    Customs.
    All other cool looking little rubber guys!!
    Hand Blown Glass.
    Pliers.
    Marbles.
    Rocks/Minerals
    Knives.
    Hats.
    Old mason jars.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:30 AM

they looks so awesome together. congratulations, Great story!
Brown chicken , brown cow

#6 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

Posted Image
Yep, nothing else.

#7 Rubberhammer

Rubberhammer

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2463 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

Sweet!
Good things happen to good dudes, man.
All is as it should be.

#8 iwao

iwao

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1481 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

I always liked 154. He pulled off many double DDTs and reverse headbutts off the top rope for me as a kid. He is in my top 5 for sure.

Congrats on completing your quest in such a cool way, and thanks for sharing your story. I think a lot of us know the feeling of collecting a favorite MUSCLE figure in all but 1 color.

#9 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
  • Interests:MIMP
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

This and that - mostly that!

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

Cool story bud :thumbsup: I too have discovered just how generous some of the members of this board can be in terms of the freebies I've been given. All I can do is try and pass this on in future :)

#10 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

Very happy to finally see this little guy make it to you! Always wished I could run across one in a pile for ya. That's a fairly all the way around awesome story. Start to finish.

#11 Biffard

Biffard

Team Truffle Shuffle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

I'm stoked you finally got this figure! What an awesome gesture by clonewars!

#12 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:59 AM

Very awesome. This is Vintage AKIA board right here. Congrats to both of ya'll-- one for the luck, and one for just being that good of a guy.
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#13 jmckinnon316

jmckinnon316

Serious Collector

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:32 AM

Out of all the Needs/Wants I remember since joining here, yours was probably most prominent in my mind. For some odd reason.

and I, for one, am actually pretty delighted for you - even though I don't 'know' you.

Knowing that another collector has a figure that they have coveted for years makes me feel great.

Good on you man, and well done Craig. Really generous gesture from a top bloke!

John

Edited by jmckinnon316, 19 March 2013 - 04:33 AM.

My NEEDS List: HERE
My Collection: WORKING ON IT!

#14 nanoFatato

nanoFatato

Chi sono? Da dove vengo?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

That was a good read, thanks!
And congrats for completing your quest

..which is next?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#15 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

Thanks for all the love, guys. It makes me happy to know so many people bothered to read all that and enjoyed it too. It's also a perfect juxtaposition to all the talk of the community's quality and the greed for figures and money. It's the kind of gesture I'd expect of someone six years ago, not in 2013.

Did want to clear up the possible misunderstanding. While clonewars was a great guy for agreeing to this arrangement, he apparently was not the mastermind of this scheme. The guy needed money, after all, so I could understand. The person who purchased these for me has chosen to remain anonymous to all but clonewars. I only have my suspicions of who did it, with no proof unless someone steps up. Didn't feel this way at first, but now I'm okay with leaving the mystery intact.

As for what's next, the story and my signature should give a hint, but it's neither a goal I will go out of my way to attain nor one I expect to be filled. Much the way I can only wish I owned a purple Sunigator claw, I don't think a red 131 will ever come into my possession. If by some miracle it did, that day might be a little too sad for me, knowing the hunt was really over. When I get bored with feeling satisfied with my Ammonite set I'll finally look into seriously getting a Satan Cross.

Of course, there's still other Ammonites out there. Among the kinkeshi there does exist a clear glitter version I'd love to have. There's even a LRG member who owns/owned one that I unsuccessfully tried to pry away, who I don't think has been around in years regardless. I also could try the standard kinkeshi colors. Ammonite didn't get too much bootleg love but there is a clear one iwao let me know about that piqued my interest, however the price and seller's practices left me a bit cold. Apparently Greece has a bootleg from a chip promotion that tried to cash in on the Exogini craze, and I'm sure a few other bootleg varieties are out there. Ammonite was also the basis for a Musclemania sculpt but that interests me even less than chasing outright copies.

I'm hoping that at some point later when I'm not busting my bum with babysitting my little nephew, I can dig out all my MUSCLE figures and take a proper group shot of the Ammonites I own.

EDIT: I forgot to mention! Obviously I've owned every other Ammonite color for some time now, so I don't need two sets of them. Once I get my Ammonite group shot together, the extra colors I have will be given away to a fellow member. There's no way I could charge money for the extras considering no one has charged me $150. Stay tuned.

Edited by BaltanII, 19 March 2013 - 08:27 PM.

#16 jmckinnon316

jmckinnon316

Serious Collector

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:15 AM

While clonewars was a great guy for agreeing to this arrangement, he apparently was not the mastermind of this scheme.

I still love Craig, anyway. Always will..... :give_rose:

:)

John
My NEEDS List: HERE
My Collection: WORKING ON IT!

#17 89cpe

89cpe

sweep the leg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1510 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

Thats awesome! It feels great when people do things for you out of the kindness of their heart. I had a similar experience with vette bill. He had a class a red tileman and just gave it to me. Yea it had a slice in its ankle but it completed all my tileman colors and I am super greatful regardless of the fact that it didnt hold much value to him, its of great value to me.

#18 CaffeineSanta

CaffeineSanta

Formerly Be9ine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., M.U.S.C.L.E.Super Rares, giant lots of M.U.S.C.L.E.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Awesome story, thanks for sharing :)

Like coffee? I roast for a living! Check it out at caffepacori.com
Ask me about trading coffee for your spare M.U.S.C.L.E.S.! I'll take most, regardless of condition :D

#19 Doctor Dew

Doctor Dew

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

Great story and a very cool looking picture. Thanks for sharing.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com