21 replies to this topic

#1 max powerz

max powerz

*squish squish* ^_^

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 12:20 PM

This camera still takes dark photos, but you get an idea of what they look like. They dont have joints because I needed to improve on the painting abit before I start that again....

Btw marty, I got them potty trained this time e+ Thanks for the excelent tip. :blush:

Please let me know what to continue with, and what its problems are. Be as harsh as you can, thanks. I have a surprise later (new custom person) but he isnt going to be pictured complete, just a rough idea of what he looks like.

Dang, picture are too big... be up in a sec... Please critic whats good and bad in each pic. thanks :)
I Sell some ultimate muscle and m.u.sc.l.e stuff, email/pm me for details
#012 king muscle (green foil lettering)
#013 terryman (green foil letterings)
#020 ramenman (blue foil letterings)
#045 kinikudriver (red and green foil letterings)
Series 2 CCG cards All and All Series 2 figures
Starcom Needs: ALL. Doubles, tripples, etc... Any condition welcome.

#2 max powerz

max powerz

*squish squish* ^_^

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 12:23 PM

He peed on his hand abit. Like son like father....

Attached Files

#3 max powerz

max powerz

*squish squish* ^_^

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 12:25 PM

From the back side...

Attached Files

#4 max powerz

max powerz

*squish squish* ^_^

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 12:27 PM

Get Ready to Rock and roll...

Attached Files

#5 max powerz

max powerz

*squish squish* ^_^

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 12:28 PM

Party from the back (boy does that sound wrong)

Attached Files

#6 max powerz

max powerz

*squish squish* ^_^

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 12:40 PM

Be glad this one is potty trained :)
(hes actually corked with his own horns)

(white bloches are in attempt to upload picture)

Attached Files

#7 max powerz

max powerz

*squish squish* ^_^

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 12:42 PM

The search for the cork...

Attached Files

#8 max powerz

max powerz

*squish squish* ^_^

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 12:44 PM

Not my favorite (you can see why). The gloves are in assistance for the search....

Attached Files

#9 max powerz

max powerz

*squish squish* ^_^

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 12:45 PM

Running away from the horror...

Attached Files

#10 max powerz

max powerz

*squish squish* ^_^

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 12:48 PM

And the best for last...

Attached Files

#11 max powerz

max powerz

*squish squish* ^_^

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 12:49 PM

Last pic for now....

Attached Files

#12 max powerz

max powerz

*squish squish* ^_^

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 12:52 PM

Well I noticed that certain parts look unpainted which actually are (guess that means I need to retouch it so it pictures better) and certain parts are chipping away (its acrilic paint...) So if anyone can suggest a good sealer so I dont have these problems thall be excelent. BTW The last 2 photos dont do him justice. I gave him a silver wash (gasp!) and he really looks cool. I figured teh white shoes as the south pole, plus it gets on some peoples nerves (the tip of his head is white). Cnat wait to read what you think, in general so I may improve even more. :)

#13 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 01:21 PM

"World man" looks really good, as the colors match him very well. If you really want to make them look good, try some Citadel paints from the local game and hobby shops, as they have a more realistic look to them-- most of your guys look cartooney because of the color selection.

I reserved my thoughs on the others, but now you're getting into the relm of "Nice shot!" insted of "I can't say anything nice, so I won't." Look around online for sites detailing Minature painting(try Pewter mini painting and Warhammer painting as keywords, then go from there). I've seen some minis painted that look amazing. If MUSCLEUK was still up, it had some good examples of painted muscles with the Citadel paints. The MAF section also used them, and is avaible on Nate's site.
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#14 arforbes

arforbes

I lied, I cheated, I got banned!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6788 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 01:37 PM

Heavy Metal and Mammoth Man are AWESOME! I like how you chopped the tusks off of Mammoth Man. The World Man is totally sweet looking too! Nice job man! ^_^

B)
AKA Yapiel, AKA balucard
I was banned! Read ALL about it! http://www.littlerub...showtopic=23333

#1 on the LRG Dishonest Members list!

#15 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 01:57 PM

Very nice Max, especially on Mammoth Man and the World guy.

Some positive critique:
A little less white on the eyes, the first one looks blotchy. And try using flat paints. Like TheOrgg says, try out the citadels.

They are much better than anything I could do. I don't know how you guys stay in the lines. (NO, I do NOT have parkinsons!) ^_^

#16 Beligerant1

Beligerant1

Boobie Smooth the Politician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., now just the colored figs since i have a complete flesh set; video games; ebay; work

Posted 06 July 2003 - 02:09 PM

Mammoth man rocks, he is one of my favorite figs, I would have rather the horns stayed on, but it looks good with them cut off too, hes battle-scarred mammoth man, haha

I have the two board game figs you are looking for, if you do a painted mammoth man for me ill send em to you (after you figure out how to keep the paint from chipping) Let me know if you would want more than just those two figs, im sure it takes a lot of work to do these paint jobs, I want to make it worth your while.
Anytime somebody needs you, don't let them down, although it grieves you, Some day you'll need someone like they do, looking for what you knew - LZ

#17 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 02:11 PM

First off,
I was just messin' with ya on the shizznitting their pants thing!

If you do a wash to bring out the muscle tone, just don't over do it (I would also do it first). Also try using a dry brush techinque to give your figures a little depth. Dry brushing is taking a brush dipping it in paint, brushing all the paint off on a paper or paper towel, then gently scrubbing the brush over the figure to give him some light shading, wear, or depth. The total key to dry brushing is making sure your brush has no wet paint on it and the brush is dry with some paint. I hope I explained that clear enough, once you learn how to do it, you will know what I mean.

Your painting skills have shown improvement, however, it still appears that you are using to big a brush and possibly not bracing your hand as you paint. The reason I say this is their is some yellow on the Kinnikuman that looks like it ran off the area you painted it on and on the world guy, some of the green for the continents is out of the lines slightly (not much).

All of this is what separates the "good job" from the "it's perfect." You can always use an exacto knife to remove paint from the edge of muscle plastic (do it when it is barely dry and not wet). You can also use paint that is not so runny or add some medium that thickens the paint up. I use all kinds of acrylic paints. TheOrgg is right and he is wrong. Yes minature paints do appear to have more realistic colors, however, you don't get much and they are $$$. Go to a big craft store and buy .99 acrylic craft paints, they come in larger amounts and have every color imagineable! Don't be affraid to mix up colors to make your own hues, tints, and shades. EXPERIMENT!!!

As far as sealing, I like flat, some like gloss, you have to decide what you like. I use spray and I lightly mist from 6-12" away.

Make sure you have ultra tiny brushes when you paint and that your pinky finger and the side of your painting hand is braced with your other hand as you hold the figure, or brace it on the table you are painting it on. This will vastly improve on staying in the lines. Also, use only the tip of your brush to paint (especially detail and tiny areas). Think of it as drawing. If you want a super detailed mechanical drawing, you use an ultra sharp pencil and you draw with the tip, not the side! Same is true with a paint brush and especially painting tiny figures!!!

Also, to keep them from chipping, lightly sand them (before painting with a tiny fine tooth sand paper or emery cloth. That will give the paint something to grab on to. Just don't sand the areas you want to be flesh. Also use a flat white base coat for a primer, however, a light primer, not heavy or you will loose the detail once you apply the overcoat of color. This will add more layers and could help keep it from chipping.

I hope this helps you out. Your skills are improving and your figures are looking tons better. I personally like super sharp painted figures with no runs, nothing out of the lines, sharp edges, and some washes/dry brushing.

THEGODBEAST

Edited by THEGODBEAST, 06 July 2003 - 02:32 PM.

#18 max powerz

max powerz

*squish squish* ^_^

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 03:38 PM

I personally like super sharp painted figures with no runs, nothing out of the lines, sharp edges, and some washes/dry brushing.

I do too ^_^ You brought up afew points I never knew about marty. I tryed the dry brushing (its on the World dude but you cant see it and its in a silver really cool watery effect). And it happend by chance.

About the brushes, I am using a tiny brush but unfortunatly its old and the end is completely split (if you saw it you would be amazed how Im painting with it because it was a strugle to go on strait at times). I could color in the lines but I didnt relize how off some of it was (the picture really amplifies it and I see things that the picture shows which I personally cannot see since it blends in with the other color especially on mamothman who is a purple figure). So Im glad Ive taken a picture.

Things I didnt do were paint the whole figure white as most peopel do first. The skin tone on all the people (except mamothman) was the actual flesh muscle which makes it look really cool IMO. The green and silver are probably the only citadel paints used. My brother actually got 9 jars and 4 warhammer figures for $1. He was at the right place at the right time.... Unfortunatly he dryed out most of them B) I also was using bad paint to begin with (very gloppy, old (at least 8 years), and/or practically nothing left that was useable) so I am shocked personally I got them to turn out as well as I did (but Im getting better using what I am so when I get some good paints Im set B) .

Honestly GB that whole shnitting the pants thing was the best advice I got for the figures. You should mention anything that stands out like a sore thumb out more often (to me because it will fix it, other peopel might be antimotivated).

I am personally proud of the worlds dude, mammoth man, and heavy metal dude in that order, but worlds man is by far superior to the other two (if you see it in person). I should get a pic of the brush I was using, cuz I know youd get a kick out of it, Im just too lazy to get my arse to the many art stores in the city.

BTW Since you might know, what type of clay should I use for making a sculpture (action figure) ive been messing arround with some clay, but havnt really made anything great yet (that like all things comes with practice) except for an acidental TMNT head (looked very close to it) which I really was intending to make a tortle (lol thats really off). I need something that I can work on for a long period of time, and also harden it so its playable when I need too. But Thats what Im thinking i need. its not my field yetPosted Image But I think I might go for an art major if I can serriously improve my stuff. (I notice my drawings have greatly improvedPosted Image) But Ill see in due time

BTW my mamoth man came without the horns, It had a viccious previos owner Posted Image And thanks to all for all the great advice, now to hope i can outdo these ones. (crosses fingers). Ive gotta go shopping for the material now (just hope I can, I just got in this years bill for college, keep in mind Im in NY where there was a hike on the bill :ekkk:) Before I forget marty, whats your favorite?

#19 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 03:58 PM

Sorry,
I forgot to mention my favorite. It is a close tie with Heavy Metal Man and Mammoth Man. You did a great job on those 2.

That is the problem with the Citadel and WarHammer paints, they crap out too soon. I have craft paints that have lasted for close to 15 + years! If the paint is gloppy or thick, add gloss medium to the paint.

You lazy kid, get better brushes and your effort and skills will shine!

I too agree that the world man is too flat and unrealistic looking.

As far as clay, I have always used "SUPER SCULPEY" make sure it is "SUPER" Sculpey. I am going to start using Castaline (what the pro's use). I have used it from friends, however, I have never purchased it myself. It is a totally different process to use it. You basically melt it and apply it (additive sculpture) with clean burning torches. Mineral spirits.

That is a whole other realm and level of difficulty.

THEGODBEAST

#20 max powerz

max powerz

*squish squish* ^_^

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 04:07 PM

That is a whole other realm and level of difficulty

Hell YA! first Ive got to work on it with my hands before I can go to that! I was woundering why that guy was adhesing clay to this large figure on tv instead of taking a large piece of it and doing it that way.

Anywho worldsman you have to see it in person to apreciate it. (like most toys). Actually the first one I painted was amoung the best Ive painted so far (I never posted it) but that was in the days when the people let themselves loose (in their pants). Im actually only proud of the head, but thats me. The other major problem with it was it was the first I micro AFed and I tryed knees and elbows. What a disaster.... I could posibly glue it and noone would notice, untill they held it, but Id rather not.

#21 smackman

smackman

Dark Lord Magus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1380 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 05:15 PM

I really like the heavy metal guy, that was probably the best out of all of them. The first one was really good except for a few minor imperfections. I noticed you were a little out of the lines on that one, but thats ok. It's still really good. The world guy was another one of my favorites. He would look cool painted as a realistic aerial view of the earth,with swirling clouds, mountain ranges and all, that would be kinda hard to do though.

Good job Max! ^_^
Posted Image

#22 Sniper33

Sniper33

Local Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2912 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 07:18 PM

I would have to say that those paint jobs look great. Keep up the good work there. I would have to say the heavy metal, and mammoth<sp?> are the best ones of the bunch.

Posted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com