• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 optimusdrizzt

optimusdrizzt

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Playing addicting video games, anime, MUSCLE, megaman, snarf from Thundercats, guts,and Battle Beasts. Really any smaller figure from the 80s/90s.

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:43 AM

http://www.ebay.com/...9UAAOSwJkJWlWWU

hahahahahahah

He quotes LRG!

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
I've been the only seller of these for the past couple of years. Do a websearch or look on littlerubberguys website for more history. These weird prototypes came from a factory find in china a couple years ago, I was able to buy a lot of them from a seller in china. I have no idea about the ture origin of these but they have made their way into fandom.

All of them seem to have these characteristics which you can find common in other people's collection:

-unpainted or partially painted

-laser marble replaced with a weird bead

-mismatched arms, some arms are backwards

This mantffrenzy has very few paint apps and is actually how I got it, I never cleaned it or tried swapping the arms.

Edited by optimusdrizzt, 13 January 2016 - 08:47 AM.

Always Looking for Battle Beasts PM if you got extras!!!!

#2 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:52 AM

Can't wait to bid on this gem!!

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#3 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1853 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:54 AM

Well there´s a few things incorrect about the description but these figures are pretty unique items and they are real!

Although they are not really Prototypes as stated because that´s a passed station long ago but they are referred to as Testshots or so called Factory-rejects made within the factory in China. They´re produced in the exact same molds (which had to be revisited or fine tuned) as the original Beasts, as far as I´m able to tell but (some parts) just have not been painted. Besides the Mantfrenzy and Grencats there´s also Fly Dragon, Hornhead, Puzzlecolor and a couple others of which unpainted original parts have been found. What they actual do show is the base color in which this figure was casted, in this case the white of the Mantfrenzy. And although the marble or pearl like thing inside seems to be weird that is actually the thing it might´ve been all about I just realized because the ORB for the LB was obviously a standardized shape but all of the LB casts might be a little of so all of these test shots might´ve been needed to test whether or not the orb will fit in correctly (this is not a confirmed fact but a theory that I just made up because the logic behind those marbles inside was never explained before I believe).

But with the seller referring to LRG he´s not incorrect because these Chinese test shots have been discussed and on the table for quite a while for instance back in 2009;

http://www.littlerub...ina#entry242557

The seller clearly wasn´t the only one who got his hands on a couple because there are more of these out there since more people, back in the days, purchased a larger lot of these because as stated in that topic they were not very expensive back than.

What goes for the Marble theory is also applicable on the wrong and mixed matched arms because the arm holes in which the peg had to fit was also something that might´ve needed some extra checks so they just overproduced some Grencats or other arms and fitted these in the test molds of the bodies in order to ensure the orb as well as the arms would fit in there.

No clear theory/idea on where the paint around the eyes comes from but it clearly is the pink that´s been used for the eye color on the original fig so maybe that was something they just wanted to test in relation to the skin/base color of the figure. In the case of the Mantfrenzy you can see that the face area is a slightly different color than the skin/base color so maybe they decided they´d need a slightly different tone there in order to have the eye color jump out in a more correct way. Which is something that might´ve come from this test as well.

All in all this might look like a weird auction but if you check into the history of the LB discussions out here on the blog you´ll soon find out there´s not much wrong with it and it actually does represent an interesting part of LB History so even though it is not a prototype it is quite a unique item; a Chinese Test Shot.

The price might seem a bit high knowing they´ve been purchased for only a couple of bucks back in the days from China but there´re not a lot of them around anymore since most have ended up amongst die hard collectors meaning they´re not moving around that much and that means that the BIN price is actually not to bad at all.

So far todays lesson ;)

It´s good to be critical but this listing proves you can also be fooled in some cases.

Enjoy the Beasts!

Edited by Beastformers, 13 January 2016 - 10:05 AM.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#4 dabbuu

dabbuu

Serious Collector

• 573 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:57 AM

Here are some examples --- these are factory rejects 

Attached Files

Edited by dabbuu, 22 January 2016 - 09:58 AM.

Posted Image

#5 108KickBack

108KickBack

Beast-Former Gatherer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:Laser Beasts, Battle Beasts,Anything Beastformer, Insects,Bugs and arachnids.

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:22 AM

that's insane!i have never seen so many manyfrenzys and grencats.

#6 108KickBack

108KickBack

Beast-Former Gatherer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:Laser Beasts, Battle Beasts,Anything Beastformer, Insects,Bugs and arachnids.

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:25 AM

Didn't mean to down vote damn phone.

#7 trumanshower

trumanshower

Eternal Truman of the spotless mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1384 posts
  • Interests:dragonautes, monster in my pocket, fistful of power, motu, cosmix, luxioles etc etc...

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:17 PM

awesome pics Dabbuu !!! :thumbsup:

French collector of Battle Beasts, Monster in my pocket and a bunch of other toys !!
FoP facebook page : https://www.facebook.../fistfulofpower

Boogaz facebook group : https://www.facebook...810983082984202

#8 Exactobeast

Exactobeast

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:49 PM

Just wow

#9 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:19 AM

man, every time pics of those frilled lizards pop up I get excited, those cobra are pretty amazing too!

as usual dab, you never fail to impress and make me jealous as hell ;)

#10 bot3ro

bot3ro

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts - Laser Beasts - Beast Saga - Nintendo - Photography - Travel - Scuba Diving - Football

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:05 AM

So cool! Those blue necked Cobras do look nice.

#11 optimusdrizzt

optimusdrizzt

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Playing addicting video games, anime, MUSCLE, megaman, snarf from Thundercats, guts,and Battle Beasts. Really any smaller figure from the 80s/90s.

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:50 AM

Factory Rejects seems like a more fitting tittle than prototype. There are some cool paint app concepts in there in there though!

Always Looking for Battle Beasts PM if you got extras!!!!

#12 jupiter

jupiter

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:vintage transformers bootlegs, battle beasts, starriors

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:57 PM

Hey! awesome pics, I am the ebay seller of those testshots/rejects whatver they are, im going to update the title now.

Dabbuu did you pick any up? I specifically remember those pictures on the blue towel, must be from the same seller on taobao back in the day?

and PS, I did buy a lot of these on taobao but it was about 30 of grencats and mantzfrenzy and a couple of weird gold chrome ones...looks like the seller split them into smaller lots and a couple of us picked these up

contact me if you have weird foreign variant and bootleg battle beasts for sale.

#13 dabbuu

dabbuu

Serious Collector

• 573 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:01 AM

I picked a bunch up but mine are all gone now. I think all of these originated from the same seller.

Posted Image

#14 ScreaminDemon

ScreaminDemon

Cyber Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts , Laser Beasts , Beastformers , Shadow Warriors , War Monsters and any other variations of Battle Beasts including Beast Saga. Transformer decoys.

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:40 AM

Check this out! The other day I was looking at completed listings to see what snailiens cost these days and stumbled upon this. I wasn't sure if it was a custom mandrill until I saw similar ones in Dabbuu's pictures. http://www.ebay.com/...osAAOSwwPhWjU3t
Demon

#15 Exactobeast

Exactobeast

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:44 PM

Nice grab!!

#16 Glock

Glock

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:44 PM

Very cool.  I have never seen these before.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com