Cereal Premiums

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 MUSCLETOYS

MUSCLETOYS

Happily stuck in the past

• Legends
  • 355 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Keshi, Minifigs, Baseball Cards, Travel, Disc Golf, Bigfoot, Pizza, Beer

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:25 PM

Some of you guys know that I'm a HUGE cereal and cereal toy enthusiast. Well... I've decided to start cataloging premiums primarily from the 70's and 80's for a new section of the site. This section will grow by leaps and bounds in the months to come, so check it out if this kind of thing interests you!

BTW... What kind of memories do you guys have of in box prizes from your youth?

Cheers!
Darrin

The M.U.S.C.L.E. Guild

#2 Apricot

Apricot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:painting, music, film, cream cheese

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:13 AM

I remember once suffering through a box of Donkey Kong cereal just to get some lame stickers from the box. The sticker I remember was one of DK in the "just released a rolling barrel" pose. I stuck it on the front of a change bank I had that was shaped like a mailbox.

#3 el midgetron

el midgetron

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:45 AM

When I was growing up we didnt eat sugar cereal very often. When we did have a box with some plastic treasure in it, I can remember shoving my entire little arm inside the box to try and retrive the prize (this was appartently before man invented the technology of opening the box from the bottom). It didnt take long befor my partents (probably my mom) taught me to dump the entire contents of the box into a large bowl and then find the prize. Doing so, usualy left the prize smack ontop of the displaced cereal and saved future breakfasts from being tainted with my arm cooties. After retrieving the prize the cereal was then poured back into the box and it never seemed to fit quite right. The newly refilled box would buldge at the sides making it hard to fold the top flaps for a proper seal.

I can remember the excitement of opening a box of cereal that had a prize in it. However, I have a hard time actualy remebering what any of the specific prizes were.
Posted Image

#4 MUSCLETOYS

MUSCLETOYS

• Legends
  • 355 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Keshi, Minifigs, Baseball Cards, Travel, Disc Golf, Bigfoot, Pizza, Beer

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:25 PM

I remember once suffering through a box of Donkey Kong cereal just to get some lame stickers from the box. The sticker I remember was one of DK in the "just released a rolling barrel" pose.

Same here!! Those stickers weren't even limited edition or anything. I used to buy those at the 7-11 in wax packs. The cereal wasn't that good either. Kinda like captain crunch but shaped as barrels. It had a corn meal flavor to it almost, UGH! I only made my mom buy that one for me once!

#5 MUSCLETOYS

MUSCLETOYS

• Legends
  • 355 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:18 PM

The newly refilled box would buldge at the sides making it hard to fold the top flaps for a proper seal. I can remember the excitement of opening a box of cereal that had a prize in it. However, I have a hard time actualy remebering what any of the specific prizes were.

HA! Yup... all of our cereal boxes looked like just like that! I on the other hand, have very fond memories of most of my in box prizes. Not sure why I was so enthralled with those premiums. Maybe it was the marketing. Cereal companies would make commercials and during the last 5 seconds or so, they would promote the in box premiums. They could make the crapiest toys look so cool on the boxes! The promises of the adventures and the fun you would most certainly have with the prizes always hooked me! Good memories!

In this day and age you're hard pressed to find a halfway decent premium, but once in a blue moon you can find some good ones. For the last Star Wars movie, Kelloggs had some glowing lightsaber spoons that were pretty cool. We must have about a half dozen of them floating around our house! B)

#6 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts
  • Interests:Muscle men, and Kinnikuman

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:00 AM

In this day and age you're hard pressed to find a halfway decent premium, but once in a blue moon you can find some good ones. For the last Star Wars movie, Kelloggs had some glowing lightsaber spoons that were pretty cool. We must have about a half dozen of them floating around our house! ;)

B) Hahaha, I think after the second star wars movie came out I bought a few boxes of cereal that had these light saber pens that lit up as well. I had like 3 of them, Count Dooku was one thats why I think it was the 2nd film. They seemed cool but the ink lasted about a day.

Other cereal memories consist of the tony the tiger diver already mentioned in a different post, the wall walking spider things that you slam against the wall and they creep down, pokemon figures, slime in little capsules, etc... I also remember having to purchase several boxes once or twice and sending in upc`s for something really cool, but oddly can not remember anything I sent for now hahahaha. I remember a couple times buying a box thinking something totally awesome was on the inside, then sadly after digging for an hour realized I had to send for it... eff!!!!

I remember the donkey show, Marty`s mom never walked the same, I also remember the Donkey Kong Cereal, and I have to be honest, I loved it. I love the flavor of captain crunch, but hate the crunch, I like my cereal soggy and CC seems to just never get soggy and it cuts my mouth, DK tasted the same but sogged up rather quickly so I loved it even more than CC. If we are talking favorites though, they would be Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Fruity Pebbles, and when i feel like being healthy good old Kellogs Raisen Bran two scoops bee-eye-itches!

#7 MUSCLETOYS

MUSCLETOYS

• Legends
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:06 PM

I love the flavor of captain crunch, but hate the crunch, I like my cereal soggy and CC seems to just never get soggy and it cuts my mouth, DK tasted the same but sogged up rather quickly so I loved it even more than CC. If we are talking favorites though, they would be Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Fruity Pebbles, and when i feel like being healthy good old Kellogs Raisen Bran two scoops bee-eye-itches!

Fruity Pebbles! Now THAT was/is a great cereal! Talk about a sugar rush!!.... almost hurts my teeth to eat it! B) My favorite cereals of all time are:

1.) Franken Berry
2.) Fruity Pebbles
3.) Count Chocula
4.) Cocoa Pebbles
5.) Boo Berry
6.) Sugar Frosted Mini Wheats
7.) Vanilla Cookie Crisp (No longer made)

I don't eat these sweet cereals on a regular basis, but I do indulge in the occassional bowl of sweet sugary goodness from time to time. Hey.. I've got 3 kids, and there's always at least a half dozen boxes of sweet cereals on the shelf at any given moment. Otherwise, I'd probably be eating nothing but bran cereals or oatmeal. After all, you gotta watch the cholesterol!

Man it sux to get old ;)

#8 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:30 AM

Back in 1977, my favorite cereal was Quisp. Later that year it was discontinued. In the late 90's they brought it back to a few select cities and online ordering, but they changed the ingredients. I bought a few boxes, but it didn't taste the same.
Here I am in 1978 with my Iron-On Patch cereal premium.
Posted Image
I have collected all 34 Quisp and Quisp-related commercials. Here are my drawings based on the characters in those commercials.
Posted Image
Here is a sculpture I made of Quisp. I made a better one a few years later with a working propeller, but he was destroyed in a move before I could get a picture of him.
Posted Image
Shortly after that my favorite cereal became Cookie Crisp. I liked Vanilla and Chocolate back when the mascot was Cookie Jarvis. Here is my drawing of him. As he would say, "Speelunk Speelar!"
Posted Image
During the first half of the 80's, Cookie Crisp had these cool premiums that a friend of mine and I collected dozens of duplicates of. They were fully painted plastic figures of the Cop, the Crook and the Paddywagon, all about the size of a MUSCLE. This was before the Crook got a dog, and then the dog took over as the mascot, eliminating the other characters. The ingredients were then changed and now it tastes terrible. So now I still eat Frankenberry, Count Chocula and Booberry. I've got a comic page I drew somewhere around here of Count Dracula, Count Chocula and Count Von Count living in the same castle.

#9 el midgetron

el midgetron

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:26 PM

I remember a couple times buying a box thinking something totally awesome was on the inside, then sadly after digging for an hour realized I had to send for it... eff!!!!

lol, I think I fell prey to that same pit-fall once or twice myself.

Back in 1977, my favorite cereal was Quisp.

Yeah, Quisps was the shiznet. I think its still around in certain areas or maybe by mail. I faitly remember getting a Quisp sticker as a in-box premium back in the day. Its was printed on transparent vinyl and showed Quisp in a flying pose.

Other than Quisps (which I havent had in over 25 years) Captn Crunch was allways my favorite. I do remember Captn Crunch having GID pirate skeletons as premiums once (1970s era). I dont think I ever got one and still feel a void in my soul because it it :lol:
Posted Image

#10 MUSCLETOYS

MUSCLETOYS

• Legends
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:37 PM

Back in 1977, my favorite cereal was Quisp. //I have collected all 34 Quisp and Quisp-related commercials. Here are my drawings based on the characters in those commercials.

Yeah, QUISP was great! I think they still sell it, but Quaker distributes a very limited amount (just enough to keep the licensing rights) But like you said, it just doesn't taste the same as it used to. Jarvis was a great mascot! I remember the commercials where he used to turn kids boring breakfast cereal into cookies that you could eat. I also remember Cookie Crisp having great premiums. That pic of you is great! It's amazing just how much certain advertising icons of the 70's were innertwined in pop culture. Another cereal that had great premiums was TRIX. They always had stuff like whistles, watches, and all kinds of other great prizes!

Darrin

#11 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:56 AM

Do you remember Grins & Smiles & Giggles & Laughs? It was from the mid-70's and I had collected the 5 magnet premiums, 1 for each character. The 5th character was Cecil the robot. I don't have them anymore, but here is a pic of the box with the magnets inside.
Posted Image
I think it would be smart marketing to bring back some nostalgia cereal for limited times. I'd love to see Vanilla Cookie Crisp with Jarvis on the box, sitting on the shelf again. And have some retro premiums in them.

#12 MUSCLETOYS

MUSCLETOYS

• Legends
  • 355 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:31 PM

Do you remember Grins & Smiles & Giggles & Laughs? Posted Image
I think it would be smart marketing to bring back some nostalgia cereal for limited times. I'd love to see Vanilla Cookie Crisp with Jarvis on the box, sitting on the shelf again. And have some retro premiums in them.

I've seen empty boxes for sale before, but I cant say as I remember it from childhood. WILD! The box art really captures that era doesn't it? Brings back memories of The Electric Company and HR Puff N' Stuff! Do you remember Crazy Cow? I think it was like frosted flakes only chocolate flavored? There were some great cereals back in the day. Now they turn out any crap, throw a few marshmallows in it, slap some marketing on it like sponge bob or mickey mouse, and call it good.
Pretty sad.

Just imagine in the 70's or 80's having a job in the marketing dept of General Mills, and having to sit around all day dreaming up ways to get kids to want some Franken Berry or Count Chocula. Heck, nowadays the marketing is probably outsourced for the most part. No wonder it seems like there's a lack of enthusiasm in a lot of todays marketing. When you have people spending years standing behind a product they believe in, they're going to be more passionate about their work. It's not just cereal.. it's everything we consume all the way across the board. Just compare a 70's burger king commercial with a modern day one and you'll see what i mean! You can tell that they put more effort and thought into marketing back then. Maybe it's just me. Marketing changes with the times, so maybe I should just accept it instead of being bitter....... NAH! :)
Heck, at least we have the internet to keep our memories, and pop culture alive!

Edited by MUSCLETOYS, 14 January 2007 - 05:17 PM.

#13 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:06 PM

Brings back memories of The Electric Company and HR Puff N' Stuff! 
You can tell that they put more effort and thought into marketing back then.  Maybe it's just me.  Marketing changes with the times, so maybe I should just accept it instead of being bitter....... NAH!

I just drew a remake of Pufnstuf.
http://kevin-mayle.l....com/33409.html
I'm trapped in the 70's & 80's, and probably always will be.

#14 Apricot

Apricot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:15 AM

The newly refilled box would buldge at the sides making it hard to fold the top flaps for a proper seal.  I can remember the excitement of opening a box of cereal that had a prize in it. However, I have a hard time actualy remebering what any of the specific prizes were.

HA! Yup... all of our cereal boxes looked like just like that! I on the other hand, have very fond memories of most of my in box prizes. Not sure why I was so enthralled with those premiums. Maybe it was the marketing. Cereal companies would make commercials and during the last 5 seconds or so, they would promote the in box premiums. They could make the crapiest toys look so cool on the boxes! The promises of the adventures and the fun you would most certainly have with the prizes always hooked me! Good memories!

In this day and age you're hard pressed to find a halfway decent premium, but once in a blue moon you can find some good ones. For the last Star Wars movie, Kelloggs had some glowing lightsaber spoons that were pretty cool. We must have about a half dozen of them floating around our house! :)

were there premiums in c3p0 cereal? i remember hating that one too but still buying it anyway so there must have been something!

#15 Apricot

Apricot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:20 AM

One of my favorite cereal toys was the wacky wall walker that would inevitably get all fuzzy and unsticky from the carpet

and it liked to stick on matte painted walls a little too much :)

http://www.x-enterta.../articles/0739/

Edited by Apricot, 15 January 2007 - 06:22 AM.

#16 MUSCLETOYS

MUSCLETOYS

• Legends
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:37 PM

were there premiums in c3p0 cereal? i remember hating that one too but still buying it anyway so there must have been something!

C3PO's! YES! A cereal you would choke down just to get the Star Wars stuff! They had 6 different Masks, a Rebel Rocket, mail aways for micro figures, and a set of Stick R' trading cards, Oh... and a baseball cap only for those who lived in Canada. Good stuff!
~Darrin

#17 MUSCLETOYS

MUSCLETOYS

• Legends
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:40 PM

I just drew a remake of Pufnstuf.
I'm trapped in the 70's & 80's, and probably always will be.

Awesome! Kinda scary lookin! That would've really freaked me out if I had been "Puff N' Stuff!" <_< I'm also stuck in the good ol' days. The older I get the more I miss the past, and the more I resent change. Weird huh?

Edited by MUSCLETOYS, 15 January 2007 - 10:41 PM.

#18 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:23 AM

I'm also stuck in the good ol' days. The older I get the more I miss the past, and the more I resent change. Weird huh?

Well, at least I'm not alone.
Actually, we live in a pretty good time for guys like us. All my favorite shows are being released on DVD. The internet allows me to research all the stuff I love and interact with like minded friends I would have never met otherwise. And Ebay has given me the opportunity to buy pretty much anything I ever wanted. My adult life is the childhood I always wanted.

#19 MUSCLETOYS

MUSCLETOYS

• Legends
  • 355 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:54 PM

Actually, we live in a pretty good time for guys like us. All my favorite shows are being released on DVD. The internet allows me to research all the stuff I love and interact with like minded friends I would have never met otherwise. And Ebay has given me the opportunity to buy pretty much anything I ever wanted. My adult life is the childhood I always wanted.

Yeah... you're right. I can't tell you how many toys I've been reunited with (and paid next to nothing for) on e-bay. Now... if they'd just put "The Fall Guy" on DVD I'd be set! Hmm.. it's been awhile since I've checked for it. Maybe I'll go to Amazon now and do a search....

#20 galactiboy

galactiboy

My collection has budded...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:I love pop-culture collectibles. M.U.S.C.L.E. figures were one of my favorite toys as a child and as an adult they sparked my collector bug. Aside from M.U.S.C.L.E. and Kinnikuman I also primarily collection 1/6 figures as well as some busts and prop replicas.<br /><br />I'm also a musician; playing the drums and banjo, enjoy movies and reading.

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:32 PM

I really liked the Captain Crunch figures that were released in the 80's. Where you had the captain, Sogmaster and 2 soggies (one mean, one dumb) that were glow-in-the-dark. I was always missing one soggy :(

#21 MUSCLETOYS

MUSCLETOYS

• Legends
  • 355 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:41 PM

I really liked the Captain Crunch figures that were released in the 80's. Where you had the captain, Sogmaster and 2 soggies (one mean, one dumb) that were glow-in-the-dark. I was always missing one soggy :(

Cap'n Crunch had some Killer premiums! Their mail aways were pretty good too. In fact... I'd go as far to say that they pretty much set the pace for cereal premiums in the 70's and 80's. Now Cap'm premiums are all but non existent. They must figure that all they have to do is give you crunch berries or some other colorful nuggets, and you'll buy their product. :(

#22 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:14 AM

Quisp is packed anonomously in Quaker's Bagged Cereals line under the name Sweet Crunch. Unfortunately, stores in my area do not carry this either.

Apricot, I forgot about Wacky Wall Walkers. I loved those!

Talking about Cap'n Crunch, I've got all those vintage Jay Ward commercials. They also did the Quisp ones. I always loved Peanut Butter Crunch. It's probably one of my all time favorites.

#23 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 12:18 PM

Hey, I just learned something. Cookie Jarvis (1971-1983) and Cookie Crook (1980-1997) overlapped, and here's proof. http://www.retrojunk...ommercial/1388/
Cookie Cop (1983-1997) was Jarvis' replacement.

#24 MUSCLETOYS

MUSCLETOYS

• Legends
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 04:43 PM

Wow! I didn't know that! I always thought that they replaced jarvis with "CC" and the cookie cop!
BTW... I had a bowl of cookie crisp last night. I actually mixed it half and half with OREO Cereal. A Big bowl of cookies for a midnight snack! Mmmmmmm :wub:

Hey.... Remember Vanilly Crunch? It was one of the many Cap'n Crunch Spin Off's!

#25 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 05:24 PM

Your posts are making me extremely hungry for lots of cereal and fast food.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com