2 replies to this topic

#1 Rokk

Rokk

Alton Brown's Evil Twin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 01:46 PM

Well, I figured it was about time to post a little review of Marvel Select's Ultimate Iron Man figure. First, this is not your father's Iron man. No, this is the Iron Man from Marvel Comics line of Ulimate Marvel titles. You can see this cool version of Iron Man in the comic The Ultimates which is the Ultimate Marvel version of The Avengers. He is nicely packaged and stands at 8" in height.

You can find a picture of this figure here and here

Looks- 4.5 out of 5
I think this figure looks fantastic. The figure is made from a nice thick and sturdy plastic. The sculpt is incredible looking and amazingly detailed. This is an excellent reproduction of the armor from the comics. The sculpting gives excellent attention to even the smallest details of the armor. You can even see the muscle tone in his forearms and outlines of major veins! The flesh paint is very realistic. The paint job is very well done. Excellent attention to detail with very few painting imprefections. The red paint is metallic. The silver paint has a nice cold metal look to it. The graphite color of the armor is deep and creates a handsome texture to the armor.

Articulation- 3.5 out of 5
This figure has points of articulation at the neck, shoulders, mid torso, wrists, thighs, knees and ankles. The Marvel Select series is primarily focused on the sculpt and paint job rather than articulation. This is opposite from the Marvel Legends line that is more focused on massive amounts of articulation rather than the sculpt and paint job. Personally, I prefer my figures to come with plenty of articulation. I would have liked some elbow articulation on this figure.

Accessories-4.5 out of 5
This figure comes with a rather elaborate accessory. It is some sort of docking station where Tony Stark can run diagnostics on his armor as well as connect his own body to the station to monitor his own body's cybernetic implants. There are also 2 sets of 3 wires (red, yellow and blue). You can plug one end of the wires into the docking station and the other end plug into Tony Stark's forearms. When the figure is "jacked" into the docking station it creates a rather sweet looking diorama.

The docking station is a nice grey color with some metallic flakes in it to keep it from looking too much like cheap plastic. Also the blue on the top of the station is painted on. The yellow and black stipes on the sides are also painted one. Much better than the usual stickers that are put on these types of accessories.

Play Value-4 out of 5
This figure has a pretty high play value. It has just enough articulation to make it poseable and the wires you can plug into the figure make it fun to play with. Plus, you get to take the forearm parts of the armor on and off in order to expose Tony's arms so he can jack into the docking station or cover them for fighting.

Coolness-4.5 out of 5
Personally, I think this figure is pretty damn cool. He looks absolutely bad-assed just sitting on my desk. The only thing that prevents this figure from getting a perfect score in coolness is that you can't take his helmet or faceplate off. That would have been the icing on the cake. Still, between the docking station and the figure, this is one cool toy.

Overall-4.2 out of 5
Obviously I love this figure! I really don't have too many complaints. the only drawback is that this figure isn't cheap. He costs $20. But, I think he is worth every penny. This figure would make an excellent addition to any collection. It is by far the best Marvel figure that I have seen.

Here is a pic of the figure "jacked" into the base.

Attached Files

#2 ToyMan

ToyMan

geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 02:28 PM

i only have four words to say:

"nice effin' gundam legs!". :D

#3 Rokk

Rokk

Alton Brown's Evil Twin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 03:59 PM

i only have four words to say:

"nice effin' gundam legs!". :lol:

:lol: Yes, the similarities are striking, aren't they?

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com