18 replies to this topic

#1 Vnomous

Vnomous

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 09:51 PM

Hi, I haven’t been on here for a long time and just opened up my closet and found the sealed battle beasts (8 figures) I bought years ago. Question is...one of the series 3 sealed boxes was in pretty bad shape. Looks like it sat outside at a flea market or something and the plastic turned yellowish and brittle. Other than that the figures haven’t been taken out. I’ve been contemplating on selling some of my collection and was wondering if it would be better to get rid of the box and sell them as individual figures (with rub and weapon) or sell it sealed in the not-so-good condition box that they are in. What’s it worth either way? Any opinions would be appreciated.

#2 ZebraLegion

ZebraLegion

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts & Laser Beasts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:52 AM

There are people probably far more qualified than me to answer this but I've been paying pretty close attention the last two years to prices.

You can also go to eBay and search for sold listings matching the beasts you have to get an idea.

Series 3 beasts with weapons sell for anywhere between $15-$50.  I would say usually around $25-$30.  A zebra with weapon just sold for $44 (!!) last night.  It does seem like prices bump a little after Christmas.  People probably spending gift cards or cash they got.

One seller had an auction for three different 8 pack series 3 in box ending on the same day in November.  The boxes were all opened but not the figures.  None of the boxes looked mint to me with bent edges, etc. I don't collect the mint in box, so that may be normal for a toy this old.  They sold for $510 (Panda, Lizard, Koala, Tapir, Pig, Tapir, Panther, Mandrill) , $455 (Pangolin, Sloth, Aardvark, Bovine, Zebra, Hawk, Duckbill, Crow), and $305 (Panther, Tapir, Flamingo, Mandrill, Pig, Pointer, Rooster, Ox).

I would imagine even with the wear to the box, it's probably worth more to sell that way rather than individually.

Searching for any middle 12 or higher 12 lasers- happy with just the figures don't need weapons/shields/sled Killer HoundFighthorn

Searching for Greek Fox set: Purple

Searching for any Zebra's in any condition 

#3 Vnomous

Vnomous

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for the info Z! Prices have definitely gone up so contemplating on selling off some of my collection but still not sure. I bought a bunch of carded items years ago trying to complete a full carded set but life happened and it never became priority again. Hate to part with these but if prices keep going up the way it is then maybe I should keep em for another several years.

Attached Files

#4 nerzhin

nerzhin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:39 PM

Are you going to sell that skybat set? That looks awesome

#5 Vnomous

Vnomous

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:04 PM

Sorry I’m still not sure if I want to sell anything YET since I’m not hurting for money right now. Pulling all these out of my closet after almost 10 years is starting to get me back into the collecting fever again but everything is much more expensive now. I remember buying complete figures with rub and weapon for around $3 back in the days and even less if you got lucky.

#6 bot3ro

bot3ro

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts - Laser Beasts - Beast Saga - Nintendo - Photography - Travel - Scuba Diving - Football

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:57 PM

Awesome collection of MOCs. If you do decide to part with some of the stuff I’m interested in the lion/tiger and carp/snake MOCs, just send me a PM. Also can you tell me about the Pirate Lion card in the front.

#7 Vnomous

Vnomous

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:10 AM

Thanks bot3ro and will do. Not sure if I’m allowed to post links outside of this site but from a different site I found the following:

“This Hologram card is quite cool. It was randomly inserted in the Beastformers series with the sunburst offer from Japan. The hologram card itself is a sticker that can be peeled from the card. Also attached to this card is the actual rub symbol of the Sunburst that you applied yourself.”

My card does have a sunburst rub in a small plastic bag taped to the back. I bought it a long time ago because I never seen one before.

#8 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:46 AM

Sorry a bit of a late reply but I agree with Zebralegion in regards to your initial question.

Although it is tempting to sell them separately, especially with some of the loose Series 3 prices currently in mind, but even WITH a box with issues the set as such with the figures still sealed on the packaging inside it is worth more, at least from a collectable perspective, than what the figures represent loos. The sealed part that goes inside can always be placed inside a box of a better quality in time in case a loose box might show up... So you never know and personally I´d never advice to open a sealed item that´s been sealed for 30+ years. It might take a bit longer and it might be a bit harder to sell compared to selling them loose but it´s the best to do. 

In regards to your BB collection going after a full MOC collection is an impressive goal which definitely would´ve been easier/cheaper to achieve a couple years or a decade ago. Based on your story it sounds like you´ve been gathering most during the period while these were still relatively cheap compared to what they go for today but completing collecting goals like that are only given to few. There´ve been a lot of attempts and almost as much failures because right now some serious $ is involved and for those who do have that amount to spend it´s not even said that what they need is available even at insane prices. 

It´d be a shame if you´d decide to break your set up and sell them but sometimes life has other plans and or it´s needed to let them go, I´d advice you to really think it over because it might look like an easy money maker now but there´s a big chance you´ll never be able to ever get them back for the amount you might sell them for and you might regret it down the road. Just be sure to keep this in mind because it´s ¨easy¨ to sell a collection that´s been built over years but it´s also something you might regret for years... Because times have changed.

You do have some really nice items within your collection and there´s definitely some I´d not mind adding to the collection myself but again it´s all up to you and if there´s no pressure than take your time to make the right decision.

Good luck and for now..

Enjoy the Beasts!

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#9 Vnomous

Vnomous

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:05 PM

I appreciate your insight on everything WR! It definitely brings back the nostalgia of these being my all-time favorite toys to play with when I was little. I actually remember going to Service Mechandise (they don’t exist anymore) with my dad picking out the same type of Series 3 boxes for my birthday one year. I had He-Man, GI Joe, Transformers, and MUSCLE men but Battle Beasts were my favorite by far. I have a complete set of Series 1-3 with rubs and weapons and the additional 10 laser beasts but I actually do have a couple figures I’d like to replace because of condition (I have a Bison that who’s toes are chewed off by my dog when I first got them lol). Plus I gave my Legos to my little cousin when I was in high school and ALL the original weapons I had were in there so I had to re-buy all the weapons and it took a while. I’ll at least try replacing the figures I need due to condition issues and see where it leads me. Thanks again for the reminder that I’ll probably regret if I sell these off especially since I don’t need the money right now.

#10 nerzhin

nerzhin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:40 PM

Hey I got my series 3 sets at service merchandise too! I remember getting them and some clearance Kenner Centurions on the same trip. Man toy aisles suck now....can you tell me what the price tag on those series 3 sets says? I am just curious what they went for back then

#11 Vnomous

Vnomous

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:18 PM

Hi nerzhin, it says it was $8.99 from Fred Meyer. Seems like a lot for back in the days. Now I feel like I was a spoiled kid since I picked out all the boxes to complete the series back then lol I remember the rubs being a solid bright color of the elements (wood, fire, water) instead of the plasma-like look. Were all Series 3 made with those solid color elements?

#12 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1852 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:41 AM

The biggest majority, if not all, of the Series 3 Beasts did receive the color rub. They started to change it from Series 2 (which can be found with both styles of rubs). Some Series 1 have been found with color rubs as well and Series 3 with the black and white rub but it´s unclear whether this has been a very local thing because we haven´t been able to get that verified or whether it´s been the result of fellow collectors replacing rubs... Normally time will tell but in this case with some folks around who think they can switch rubs for fun without causing any harm to the history that´s not really the case because they´re only making it harder to find out what really happened.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#13 Vnomous

Vnomous

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:51 PM

For what it’s worth, I recall all my series 3 I got when I was little had the colored rubs. I specifically remember because I preferred the older black and white rubs and I didn’t like that the figures had the solid colors. I’m leaning towards the theory that people were probably replacing the rubs when it came off. Unfortunately I don’t think there’s a way for me to tell what kind of rubs the figures have from the sealed boxes I posted.

#14 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1852 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:30 AM

Unfortunately I don’t think there’s a way for me to tell what kind of rubs the figures have from the sealed boxes I posted.

Just wait for high temperatures, on hot days there´s a big chance the Beasts will reveal their symbols even inside the packaging ;)

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#15 Vnomous

Vnomous

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:13 PM

I don’t have many doubles but for one (Series 2 Sabresword) that I have both a black/white and a colored rub tag...I did notice that the mold for the one that had the black/white had “1” on the back right leg and the one with the colored rub had “3” on it. Could it be that the lower numbered ones had black/white and the higher number ones had the newer colored rubs? It would be interesting to hear from other members that have multiple doubles that have both black/white and colored rubs and see if the mold numbers (or letters) are different.

I don’t have many doubles but for one (Series 2 Sabresword) that I have both a black/white and a colored rub tag...I did notice that the mold for the one that had the black/white had “1” on the back right leg and the one with the colored rub had “3” on it. Could it be that the lower numbered ones had black/white and the higher number ones had the newer colored rubs? It would be interesting to hear from other members that have multiple doubles that have both black/white and colored rubs and see if the mold numbers (or letters) are different.

Attached Files

#16 Vnomous

Vnomous

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:10 PM

Another question I have for Series 3 is the weapons variants. There seems to be a lighter colored version that Is made with a more flexible plastic. I’m not sure what the story is behind these and not sure whether they’re weapons from the country-specific varieties. I know the darker colored ones are much more common since I used to have a lot of individual weapons back in the day and I kept the lighter ones because I thought it was odd. Is there any price difference between either variety?

Attached Files

#17 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1852 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:37 AM

In regards to the relation between the rubs and the mold number/letter it would make sense if the lower numbered/lettered ones would hold the black and white rub while the higher ones would´ve the colored ones but this is hard to get confirmed. Based on what we know today it looks like there might´ve been different molds used/addressed to different releases/countries so we´re still fishing a bit there but in that case the theory of the rubs doesn´t work.

Since you do seem to have gotten some items from Japan, based on the lighter weapons, it´s also likely one of your Sabretooth figs came from Japan explaining this but even that´s impossible to confirm any longer and both mold variations might´ve been around in the US as well... Those things can only be answered properly if we´re able to fill in some crucial blanks with inside information, hopefully one day although time is ticking.

As mentioned the Lighter colored Purple weapons do have a direct relation to Japan because they´re ONLY available in Japan. It´s unclear whether they´re the result of ¨just¨ a wrong mixture of the color substance for a certain run or whether there were other ideas behind it. Both purple colors were around in Japan and based on the way the color looks it doesn´t look as if the lighter colored ones have discolored in a certain way because it´s to evenly done. It might´ve been the result of a reaction to temperature, which can´t be excluded, but most likely it´s the result of a oddity in a couple production runs. They are more rare than the normal ones because of their color and the fact that in general the normal purple weapons are way more common but since the origin of this lighter purple, other than the fact that they´re JP ¨exclusives¨, is unknown it´s a bit hard to really tell how rare they are. If it´s the result of the material in regards to wrong storage under high temperatures for instance it´d be a bit weird to really call them rare but if they came fresh from the factory in this color they definitely are oddballs. Also here goes, as with most things surrounding this line, we can´t tell for sure. 

To me seeing the darker and lighter colored GREY Series 3 weapons is new btw so that does raise some new questions knowing it´s probably not been a mistake in the color mixture of JUST the Purple ones. Maybe here we have to start looking back at the Series 3 released US/UK 8 packs again because those were for sure not around in Japan, as they´re sold as individual Beasts in the box and via some boxsets, so maybe we´ve to look into that relation a bit more in regards to these color oddities. Because with this in mind it´d be more likely that a certain run of weapons might´ve been produced somewhere else as has happened with a couple more figures/items that´re available via the boxsets as well. Interesting...

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#18 Vnomous

Vnomous

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for the insight again on the weapons! I’m definitely leaning towards them being produced this way and not caused by discoloration. The reason why I say so is that I know of another member who wanted to buy these off of me (I had a couple of them that he didn’t have) when I first joined the site because he was specifically collecting these off-color ones. While we’re at it...is there a database anywhere that maps the different molds to their respective origin/country/boxed set? I’m not talking about number/letter increments on the molds but more NOTICEABLE changes like the location of the Takara and Hasbro stamps or even the location of the numbers themselves. For example, I noticed I had two different Lion and Gator molds (see attached and zoom in) because the trademarks and numbers were located at different spots and even the look was slightly different (e.g. the points on the Lion shoulders are stubbier for the one on the right). The ones on the right seem to be less common so I’m assuming those were the Japanese or boxed set versions. I also noticed that the ones on the right seem to come from the same mold as the Greek BBs or vice versa. I don’t think they’re the Spanish version because those usually have drastic color differences.

Attached Files

#19 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1852 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:51 AM

There´s been some time invested in looking into the Series 3 odd weapons, and also the Grey weapons were discussed, but although it is indeed very likely it was a different run/material and thus making them ¨variant¨ weapons there is no 100% certainty yet. It´ll require some more research, the puzzle pieces are there but the missing links aren´t. Pretty sure we are close with the idea of the boxsets but a few final details have to line up.

And if the weapons aren´t difficult enough to figure out this whole mold thing for the Beasts themselves is maybe even more complicated...

It is true that are different mold Beasts around and than we´re not talking A/B/C or 1/2/3 but the ones that show different stamps/markings. Also here goes that we have a big chunk of the puzzle solved but not enough yet to be 100% certain. So at the moment there´s not a whole lot I can share other than the fact that I can say that the Beasts you pictured are indeed NOT BDC (Bestias de Combate) although they have the exact same markings on them as well, like the GBB, causing some confusion. There is a ¨clear¨ connection between those and the other Beasts released in Europe though so these similarities don´t come out of the blue. Hopefully we will be able to reveal a bit more later but like the weapons and various other BB related mysteries it´s one of those topics of which some crucial puzzle pieces are missing. 

One thing is for sure though your collection comes from all over the world ;)

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com